What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Bugman » 04 Feb 2022, 10:49 am

Out to SSAA St. Marys and let loose some Norma TAC 22's 50m down range. They performed well. (Lithgow rifle)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 04 Feb 2022, 1:50 pm

Fought off an unplanned hangover.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Feb 2022, 2:48 pm

Shootermick wrote:Fought off an unplanned hangover.
:cry:

Get back to work. The people need to be fed. :lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 04 Feb 2022, 5:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Fought off an unplanned hangover.
:cry:

Get back to work. The people need to be fed. :lol: :lol:

Haha. I got a bit done. Definitely not my most productive day of late though.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2022, 12:43 pm

20220205_131058.jpg
20220205_131058.jpg (368.4 KiB) Viewed 9209 times

Added snake print cloth to my longbow for a bit of camo and class
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 05 Feb 2022, 12:52 pm

Got a haircut. WooHoo!
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2022, 1:00 pm

Bugman wrote:Got a haircut. WooHoo!

Have you got hair? :wtf:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 05 Feb 2022, 2:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Bugman wrote:Got a haircut. WooHoo!

Have you got hair? :wtf:

Not very much I'm afraid. :(
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2022, 8:17 pm

I was building a new ammo cupboard for my .22LR ammo. 1800x600mm, 250mm deep with nine shelves. Might not hold it all. Made out of 19mm Yellow-Tongue and 16mm ply. Have to get some heavy duty hinges tomorrow to finish it. 5000rds is about 16kg to 18.5kg depending on packaging and bullet weight.

Each shelf should hold 21 bricks or so, but they'll be stacked to make it easier to access what I want without having to dig through a pile, very annoying. Hopefully I can also label the shelving so I can see.how much I have of each type at a glance - some, like Eley, Winchester and Federal you really have to look hard to determine what type it is.

Hoping to get out to Morwell Field & Game in the morning just to see what they do there. My right shoulder and arm have zero interest in shooting 12ga after today's efforts, but I've been a member of the club since 2014, so I should have a look at least.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Feb 2022, 9:01 pm

Spent most of the day moaning in agony with siatiac pain but managed to clean the patrol, make plumb jam, broke one massive jar of plumb jam, pick a few kgs of blackberries and finished making a cool little 3lb SG iron anvil
Screenshot_20220205-212855_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220205-212855_Gallery.jpg (148.15 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 06 Feb 2022, 2:05 am

Well, probably will not be buying any new guns soon after this week.

Went to the dentist on monday due to a loose crown. Dentist pops it off easy, looks in there and says you have a vertical split down through the tooth, it's done.

Refers me to the oral surgeon, who fits me in yesterday. I go and have some 3D cat scan and X ray combo and the surgeon looks at all of it blown up on his computer screen. He says - are you doing anything this afternoon? Because you have a big infection in there with some bone loss and I'd like to get your tooth out today. He said typically they would extract the tooth and do an implant in one go but with my infection it was better to get it out, let it heal and then do the implant in two months.

So next thing I know I'm sitting in a chair getting numbed up and getting a tooth out. He has a great reputation and I have to say for what it was he did a great job.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 06 Feb 2022, 3:03 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Spent most of the day moaning in agony with siatiac pain but managed to clean the patrol, make plumb jam, broke one massive jar of plumb jam, pick a few kgs of blackberries and finished making a cool little 3lb SG iron anvil

s**t,sciatic pain definitely ain't no joke. When I was suffering sciatica I couldn't walk or do anything,I stacked heaps of weight on,it was f***ed.
Love the anvil. I need one myself....and a forge....then I can shape metal rather than grinding bar stock
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2022, 9:22 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Spent most of the day moaning in agony with siatiac pain but managed to clean the patrol, make plumb jam, broke one massive jar of plumb jam, pick a few kgs of blackberries and finished making a cool little 3lb SG iron anvil

Did you cast that?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Feb 2022, 4:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Did you cast that?

Sure did, green sand mould.
I'm helping an old mate in his foundry, he casts bronze, gun metal, brass, iron in several grades, aluminium and zink alloy. Methods used include Hard sand, green sand and die-cast. He has 3 furnaces and produces lots of cool stuff from impossible to get boat, car, bikeand aeroplane parts, heritage ironwork, truck parts... its a pretty cool place to hang out. 8-)
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Feb 2022, 4:26 pm

bigpete wrote:

s**t,sciatic pain definitely ain't no joke. When I was suffering sciatica I couldn't walk or do anything,I stacked heaps of weight on,it was f***ed.
Love the anvil. I need one myself....and a forge....then I can shape metal rather than grinding bar stock

I had a big anvil cast about 10 years ago, i forget it's weight but it's a pretty common size. Their a very handy thing. If I were to do anything different I'd cast them in steel instead of iron, it's far tougher compared to SG iron. Foundries with electric furnaces can cast steel without an issue but the old oil furnaces struggle to make enough heat to melt steel efficiently.
Now that I know enough about the trade to be dangerous, one of these days I'll set myself up with a small furnace and make stuff as required, perhaps even look at knocking out a few custom and performance car parts.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 6mm Remington » 06 Feb 2022, 6:52 pm

Tried out my new Tupperware Scatter Stick
Huglu Renova straight pull
We are still getting to know each other.
I have to say that I do prefer my MK70 Miroku but it is too nice to go beating it up in the scrub.
The Huglu is great with Federal slugs.
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2022, 6:55 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Did you cast that?

Sure did, green sand mould.
I'm helping an old mate in his foundry, he casts bronze, gun metal, brass, iron in several grades, aluminium and zink alloy. Methods used include Hard sand, green sand and die-cast. He has 3 furnaces and produces lots of cool stuff from impossible to get boat, car, bikeand aeroplane parts, heritage ironwork, truck parts... its a pretty cool place to hang out. 8-)

You would get on well with Noisy
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 06 Feb 2022, 7:09 pm

6mm Remington wrote:Tried out my new Tupperware Scatter Stick
I have to say that I do prefer my MK70 Miroku but it is too nice to go beating it up in the scrub.

Those federal slugs are great aren't they !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Feb 2022, 7:13 pm

I fitted a konus reflex sight to my 358w.....I don't hate it......tomorrow I'll sight it in
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by 6mm Remington » 07 Feb 2022, 9:55 am

bigpete wrote:

The energy they put on a target is very impressive.
Have you tried the segmented Winchester ones, how do they compare?
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Feb 2022, 3:18 pm

6mm Remington wrote:
bigpete wrote:

The energy they put on a target is very impressive.
Have you tried the segmented Winchester ones, how do they compare?

No I haven't
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 07 Feb 2022, 4:29 pm

I think I may have had the most fun Today NOT
I went for second Chemo session so in the last 4 weeks i have ad 2 Chemo and 2 Radiation.
Try to stay healthy Boy,s this aint fun
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 07 Feb 2022, 4:51 pm

I'm sure it aint. Hang in there lad.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2022, 6:21 pm

pomemax wrote:I think I may have had the most fun Today NOT
I went for second Chemo session so in the last 4 weeks i have ad 2 Chemo and 2 Radiation.
Try to stay healthy Boy,s this aint fun

No fun I'm sure. Got a close friend going through it now but just slowing it down.

Promax I hope it goes well for you. Grit your teeth and stick it out. Hopefully a happy ending.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Feb 2022, 6:40 pm

Sending you some extra strength pomemax

I know 2 others fighting cancer battles, one with bow cancer and the other throat... Mr throaty has gone all out with treatment almost daily and seems to have beaten it with his voice box still intact.
Mrs poo tube is in the very early days...
Stay strong mate, don't underestimate the power of positive thinking. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Feb 2022, 7:26 pm

I too, had a haircut today :D :thumbsup: Bugman 5/2
Sciatic pain kept me awake at night, driving me crazy. Funny but during the day while I was active it was not much bother. Had to take medication which was a godsend. on_one_wheel 5/2
Had radiation for a BCC which they missed after day surgery. Reckon it wasn't meant to kill me because it was mis-diagnosed for 2 years before they got a move-on with it. Treatment was every week day for 6 weeks. Good luck pomemax 7/2 :thumbsup:

Went for my longest walk for years after lunch this arvo. Included some hills that I used to do. Back held up very well. Neck too. Left heel is dodgy but nowhere near frightening. Have made great progress.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Feb 2022, 7:51 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I too, had a haircut today :D :thumbsup: Bugman 5/2
Sciatic pain kept me awake at night, driving me crazy. Funny but during the day while I was active it was not much bother. Had to take medication which was a godsend. on_one_wheel 5/2
Had radiation for a BCC which they missed after day surgery. Reckon it wasn't meant to kill me because it was mis-diagnosed for 2 years before they got a move-on with it. Treatment was every week day for 6 weeks. Good luck pomemax 7/2 :thumbsup:

Went for my longest walk for years after lunch this arvo. Included some hills that I used to do. Back held up very well. Neck too. Left heel is dodgy but nowhere near frightening. Have made great progress.

I'm really looking forward to recovery, I think I'm in my 5th week, feels like a cattle prodder jammed firmly in my ass cheek with the electricity running down to my heel. I'm spending the day on my feet but unfortunately I'm shovelling with a bent back for quite a few hours a day.
It's pretty hard to fight the urge to stop moving.
I'm not getting any benefit from pain killers and think the anti inflammatorys have stopped working, that's if they actually did anything at all... poor me :violin: but I'll take this over cancer.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Feb 2022, 9:06 pm

Sorted, identified and tagged about 50 bayonets for an auction house for an upcoming sale, going back tomorrow to do another 50 to 60. Wandered among the hundreds of items of militaria they have coming up including Bofors, 5.5" Heavy Howitzer, 19thC Naval cannon, mortars, other artillery I haven't the foggiest about, and about 100+ Jap Samurai swords! Getting paid for it too!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Feb 2022, 9:39 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

I'm really looking forward to recovery, I think I'm in my 5th week, feels like a cattle prodder jammed firmly in my ass cheek with the electricity running down to my heel. I'm spending the day on my feet but unfortunately I'm shovelling with a bent back for quite a few hours a day.
I'm not getting any benefit from pain killers and think the anti inflammatorys have stopped working, that's if they actually did anything at all... poor me :violin: but I'll take this over cancer.

Curious about your treatment mate, which differs markedly from mine. Have you really been diagnosed with sciatica? Mine is referred pain from a protruding disc in my lower back. In other words, it is nerve pain and nothing works on nerve pain except a nerve blocker AFAIK. Is the anti-inflammatory for arthritis> there are several kinds. Which one were you diagnosed with, if anything? I have 2 kinds and take two different meds for them.
Just concerned that you are getting the right stuff mate
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Feb 2022, 10:05 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

Curious about your treatment mate, which differs markedly from mine. Have you really been diagnosed with sciatica? Mine is referred pain from a protruding disc in my lower back. In other words, it is nerve pain and nothing works on nerve pain except a nerve blocker AFAIK. Is the anti-inflammatory for arthritis> there are several kinds. Which one were you diagnosed with, if anything? I have 2 kinds and take two different meds for them.
Just concerned that you are getting the right stuff mate

Same issue, L3, L4 & L5 protruding discs, one of which when last scanned was described as "obliterating the S1 nerve root" I haven't even bothered going to the doctor this time round as taking endone and all the other crap is pointless, they had me on all kinds of stuff but it was the physical therapy and returning to work and time that actually helped.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation