What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bigpete » 29 Dec 2022, 5:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Yes I believe they are native here. They do get hunted for their fur around here and there seems to be plenty of them. Going by the trail cams I have about 4 of them around right now. Sometimes I see them during the day and they are not really spooked by me.

Being native does that mean you have a fox season and tag limits as you do with deer?

I'm pretty sure they do have a fox season in most if not all states. Heck,they even have a rabbit season over there. Not sure about the tags thing. All of that sort of thing is run on a state by state basis anyway,a lot of Americans won't know the rules for any other state but their own from what I've seen. And it can change from year to year as well depending on game numbers and such.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2022, 6:16 pm

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Yes I believe they are native here. They do get hunted for their fur around here and there seems to be plenty of them. Going by the trail cams I have about 4 of them around right now. Sometimes I see them during the day and they are not really spooked by me.

Being native does that mean you have a fox season and tag limits as you do with deer?

I'm pretty sure they do have a fox season in most if not all states. Heck,they even have a rabbit season over there. Not sure about the tags thing. All of that sort of thing is run on a state by state basis anyway,a lot of Americans won't know the rules for any other state but their own from what I've seen. And it can change from year to year as well depending on game numbers and such.

Yes, I found a page a while back that lists every state and when their seasons start and finish, didn't think to look for fox seasons.
http://www.huntingseasonhq.com/
I went through a few and didn't see any mention of foxes.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 29 Dec 2022, 7:24 pm

It would be odd if they didn't have a season for them,they seem to have for everything else
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 30 Dec 2022, 1:20 am

bladeracer wrote:

Yes there is a season during winter for hunting and trapping.

Here is a whole page with some good details from the state:

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Education/Wildli ... foxes.aspx

I think coyotes are more an issue here with taking livestock.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lazarus » 30 Dec 2022, 7:49 am

Oldbloke wrote:That looks fancy Laz. But will the steel be up to the task?

Thanks OB

Saw bars are induction hardened after manufacturing, so you can either normalise them then reharden or simply take care not to overheat it during working it with stock removal.

This is the third I've made, they hold a very tough edge.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Dec 2022, 11:45 am

Oldbloke wrote:Deye243 let's convince Laz has just wasted 40 hours of his life working on a POS. :twisted: :violin: :lol:

But in all seriousness my bet is it wasn't a great choice.

OB,,,,,,,,, Methinks, no, (me positive) that you better do some more homework before making statements like that.

I've got a knife that the constabulary would most likely call a "Beast of a Weapon" that was also made from an old oregon saw bar,,, that my late Brother made
during his first tour of duty in Vietnam.
And I can say without doubt that it takes and holds a dammmm fine edge.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Dec 2022, 11:51 am

:wtf: ,,,,it was in jest. :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Dec 2022, 11:52 am

As I posted on page 28 about being asked to go hunt some problem dogs on a property I'd never been to before.
I spent three nights there and was rewarded this morning by successfully getting the Bitch and one of the four siblings (approx 12 months old)
Full story and pics in "Hunting & Varminting
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 30 Dec 2022, 1:32 pm

:friends:
Lazarus wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:That looks fancy Laz. But will the steel be up to the task?

Thanks OB

Saw bars are induction hardened after manufacturing, so you can either normalise them then reharden or simply take care not to overheat it during working it with stock removal.

This is the third I've made, they hold a very tough edge.

Yes but they only induction harden the rails because chainsaw bars have to be flexible for obvious reasons I used to fall trees as a job and yeah even the rails are very easy to file but as I said in previous posts they have an incredible resistance to metal on metal wear and tear it's very strange usually something at holds an edge cannot be filed easily now do I have a lot of spare chainsaw bars around here might be time for me to make a machete or make a knife . :D
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 30 Dec 2022, 3:27 pm

@Deye

If you do, try giving the finished product an acid bath.

I couldn't get hold of Ferric Chloride powder or pre-made solution so I used HCL on this guthook hunter to give it a satin finish but after a rub down with 0000 steel wool and found this pattern.
It was also an Oregon bar, heated to non magnetic and quenched in 130°F canola oil.

20201120_192817_50.jpg
20201120_192817_50.jpg (460.04 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 30 Dec 2022, 3:35 pm

Wow that looks great kind of like micro Damascus
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 30 Dec 2022, 4:21 pm

That's what I thought.

I've only ever made small knives out of saw bars
I'd like to make a big Bowie out of saw to see if that pattern would come out

I make my big ones out of 5160 from car and truck springs.
It's great stuff, I made a file guide out of some 10mm truck spring and water quenched it, it's glassy hard, too brittle for blades but perfect as a guide.

20200801_132742_35.jpg
20200801_132742_35.jpg (477.31 KiB) Viewed 2521 times

IMG_20221230_171049.jpg
IMG_20221230_171049.jpg (502.77 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 30 Dec 2022, 8:17 pm

Deleted
Last edited by bigpete on 31 Dec 2022, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2022, 8:46 pm

bigpete wrote:
20221230_204437.jpg

Had a play with my birthday presents tonight. Been a while since I've thrown knives or hawks but the muscle memory is coming back. Might need a new target soon though !

I thought throwing knives were prohibited in all states now?
I don't think it's an offence to practice throwing knives and axes, but don't you need permits to own knives and axes designed for the purpose of throwing?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 30 Dec 2022, 9:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:
20221230_204437.jpg

Had a play with my birthday presents tonight. Been a while since I've thrown knives or hawks but the muscle memory is coming back. Might need a new target soon though !

I don't think it's an offence to practice throwing knives and axes, but don't you need permits to own knives and axes designed for the purpose of throwing?

Nope
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 30 Dec 2022, 10:36 pm

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I thought throwing knives were prohibited in all states now?

Nope

Awesome! I used to enjoy throwing knives and axes as a kid.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 30 Dec 2022, 11:59 pm

Yes I remember doing quite well with the knife and axe throwing when I was a member of Boolar Valley Field archers
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Dec 2022, 1:14 am

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:
20221230_204437.jpg

Nope

Throwing Knives are Prohibited Weapons in SA, as they are in Vic and possibly NT, but not in NSW, QLD, TAS or WA. In SA they are defined in the Summary Offences Regulations 2016, Part 2, S.6(y), and prohibited by the Summary Offences Act 1953, V.1.6.2022, Part 3A, S.21F. Possession can incur up to $20000 fine or 2 years in the pokey. Exemptions are available in some circumstances ie: Re-enactors (Living History Groups etc) RSL's, Collectors (possess but not use) and a few others. Be aware of your status before owning these, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 31 Dec 2022, 2:58 am

No1Mk3 wrote:
bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:
20221230_204437.jpg

Nope

Throwing Knives are Prohibited Weapons in SA, as they are in Vic and possibly NT, but not in NSW, QLD, TAS or WA. In SA they are defined in the Summary Offences Regulations 2016, Part 2, S.6(y), and prohibited by the Summary Offences Act 1953, V.1.6.2022, Part 3A, S.21F. Possession can incur up to $20000 fine or 2 years in the pokey. Exemptions are available in some circumstances ie: Re-enactors (Living History Groups etc) RSL's, Collectors (possess but not use) and a few others. Be aware of your status before owning these, Cheers.

No,they're not prohibited in SA.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 31 Dec 2022, 3:01 am

Screenshot_20221231-032951_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20221231-032951_Samsung Internet.jpg (244.93 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

Can anyone see throwing knives or axes on that list ? No.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2022, 5:14 am

bigpete wrote:
The attachment Screenshot_20221231-032951_Samsung Internet.jpg is no longer available

That is only a summary, not a comprehensive list. Have a look at Part 2 Section 6 Item (y). If a knife "is designed to cause serious injury when thrown" then it is prohibited.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-31 061119.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-31 061119.jpg (177.09 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 31 Dec 2022, 6:16 am

Well thats completely different to the current listing of prohibited weapons then.
Geezuz. Any knife when thrown can cause injuries. In fact anything can. One could argue the only difference between a purpose made throwing knife and a regular knife is that its built a bit more robust so it doesn't break,which means thicker tip and no decent edge,which would make it less capable of causing injury ffs
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2022, 6:34 am

bigpete wrote:Well thats completely different to the current listing of prohibited weapons then.
Geezuz. Any knife when thrown can cause injuries. In fact anything can. One could argue the only difference between a purpose made throwing knife and a regular knife is that its built a bit more robust so it doesn't break,which means thicker tip and no decent edge,which would make it less capable of causing injury ffs

I agree that it makes no sense. There are lots of things used to injure and kill people than knives and firearms, but our government is not interested in reducing violent crime, they just want the citizenry to be completely unarmed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 31 Dec 2022, 7:51 am

bladeracer wrote:
I agree that it makes no sense. There are lots of things used to injure and kill people than knives and firearms, but our government is not interested in reducing violent crime, they just want the citizenry to be completely unarmed.

And there it is.

The reason there seems to be no logic in the related laws.

Public safety is not the issue, total control of a populace trained like Pavlov's dogs to be compliant is the ultimate aim.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Dec 2022, 10:34 am

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_20221231-032951_Samsung Internet.jpg

That list is only a summary and says quite clearly 'includes". It is not complete, i have posted the actual SA Law, by Act and Regulation, that specifies and prohibits throwing knives, suggest you have a read of it, especially Summary Offences Regulation 2016, Part 2, Section 6, (the COMPLETE list), item y. it says "Throwing Knife."
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 31 Dec 2022, 10:41 am

Lazarus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

And there it is.

Public safety is not the issue, total control of a populace trained like Pavlov's dogs to be compliant is the ultimate aim.

Except your State is not? As far as I'm aware only 2 States, Vic and SA prohibit "Knives designed to be thrown", note that "designed" bit. Doesn't seem like an attempt to control the population to me, just a couple of State Legislatures infested with numbnut unelected bureaucrats with nothing else to justify their jobs but making idiot laws and conning the braindead pollies to adopt them.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 31 Dec 2022, 11:09 am

No1Mk3 wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

And there it is.

Except your State is not? As far as I'm aware only 2 States, Vic and SA prohibit "Knives designed to be thrown", note that "designed" bit. Doesn't seem like an attempt to control the population to me, just a couple of State Legislatures infested with numbnut unelected bureaucrats with nothing else to justify their jobs but making idiot laws and conning the braindead pollies to adopt them.

Everyone has a different view of things No1.

Everyone sees different motivations behind the actions of others, depending on that view.

Some people see a tree and think that what they can see is all there is to be seen of that tree, others look deeper and see more.

1669161636460_75.png
1669161636460_75.png (555.55 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 31 Dec 2022, 1:15 pm

Mowed the yard with the help of several metric tonnes of flies, who seemed to get off on the "repellent" I was using and set up a leg of lamb to slow bake/hot smoke over American White Oak charcoal and chips.

20221231_140538_50.jpg
20221231_140538_50.jpg (283.16 KiB) Viewed 2448 times

Then I cut some Kydex for the new skinner.
About to put that in the oven now, then into the press.

20221231_141316.jpg
20221231_141316.jpg (415.76 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 31 Dec 2022, 1:41 pm

Chucked my atlatl at beer cans in the backyard while looking after my step children. Hitting the can pretty regularly at 10m. Anyone have any issues with that ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2022, 2:22 pm

bigpete wrote:Chucked my atlatl at beer cans in the backyard while looking after my step children. Hitting the can pretty regularly at 10m. Anyone have any issues with that ?

I'm just glad a hungry bigpete isn't chasing me through the bush with a spear. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation