What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bigpete » 30 Nov 2022, 5:03 am

Had lots of things break on the spray unit. Cost me an extra 4 hours. Yay
Screenshot_20221130-053313_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221130-053313_Gallery.jpg (297.41 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 30 Nov 2022, 10:21 am

JimTom wrote:Yeah mate the Win296 goes well enough, although I do actually prefer AR2205 for my loading. Starting to run low on 2205 with none on the market at present, so just using up the last of my 296 which is also not available anymore here in Australia. I have been trying some AR2207 with 178 and 180 gn projectiles which seems to be sufficiently accurate. Yet to try them on the pigs yet.
Mate I will be sure to check out you next YouTube vid.

Hodgdon H110 is exactly the same as Win 296 so if you can find H110 that would be good. It would be interesting to hear how those 178g and 180g bullets work on the pigs.

I'll be busy working the next two weeks but around Christmas I should drop some more videos on Youtube. Coming up will be the Speer TNT 125g project and load development. Then I am going to do some 300 Blackout resizing on the Lee APP and also am getting the parts together over time to build another 300 Blackout rifle which I will be using a Burris RT-6 1-6x tactical scope on. I looked through one of those a visitor had to my range and was impressed with the light transmission and clarity for the price, I thought it better than the $1500 Trijicon scope on one of the rifles.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Nov 2022, 5:11 pm

Went back for a review from surgery 4 weeks ago,,,, after the (LONG 8years wait) to get it done.
Seems it's progressing well,,, even though I'm still pretty slow on the foot, and having to learn how to walk again.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2022, 7:00 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Went back for a review from surgery 4 weeks ago,,,, after the (LONG 8years wait) to get it done.
Seems it's progressing well,,, even though I'm still pretty slow on the foot, and having to learn how to walk again.

Eight years is Criminal :x
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Nov 2022, 8:22 pm

Just finished watching a movie called Hunter Hunter.....omg ! :shock:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Nov 2022, 9:06 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Went back for a review from surgery 4 weeks ago,,,, after the (LONG 8years wait) to get it done.

That ain't the half of it Mate,,,,,, 8 years since the accident and first operation.
Trouble was the orthos left the ends of the bones where they hacked through jagged and pointy.
Healed on the outside only,, and for the last 7 years every step taken was like walking barefoot on coarse gravel.
I kept telling em,,,, but they didn't listen,,,,, until the whole thing broke open.
Four weeks ago they went in again and fixed things up.
Now that's done I might be able to get some living back again,,,, but kissed goodbye to 8 years all up.

Someone on here recently had ?? a "toenail removed",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'd swap in less than a heart beat.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2022, 9:18 am

Yep. That was me who had that insignificant procedure.
I am very sorry you went through that mate.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 01 Dec 2022, 9:20 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:

That ain't the half of it Mate,,,,,, 8 years since the accident and first operation.
Trouble was the orthos left the ends of the bones where they hacked through jagged and pointy.
Healed on the outside only,, and for the last 7 years every step taken was like walking barefoot on coarse gravel.
I kept telling em,,,, but they didn't listen,,,,, until the whole thing broke open.
Now that's done I might be able to get some living back again,,,, but kissed goodbye to 8 years all up.

Someone on here recently had ?? a "toenail removed",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'd swap in less than a heart beat.

Doctors on the whole are pretty inadequate
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Billo » 01 Dec 2022, 11:30 am

Picked up a Ruger Hawkeye stainless 243, slick action and probably the best trigger I've had on over 50 rifles, put a Meopta 4.5-14×50 on top.

Now just gotta work up some loads for it

Got some 80gr BT and 103gr ELD X to try :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 01 Dec 2022, 12:10 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:

Hopefully they did a better job this time and you can get healed up good and be able to move on.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 01 Dec 2022, 12:15 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:

I went over 10 years with a cyst on my lower spine the size of a child's fist that the doctors operated on 3 times and never done the job properly. Fourth time worked. I even had the surgeon who did 2 of the failed operations deny to my face that he even did them.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2022, 3:27 pm

90% of doctors are 90% worthless.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Dec 2022, 4:11 pm

I went to my mates yesterday arvo and confirmed zero with the 7mm-08, 162gn and 100gn loads both on point of aim at 100m which is neat. Then I taped the muzzle, grabbed the long bipod (due to the grass) and headed into the bush. There's an area where a spring comes out of the hillside under the tree canopy and runs down the hill. The slope is a blanket of rotted leaf matter over wet clay, and very steep, quite a challenge not to end up in a heap at the bottom. I was surprised that there was hardly any undergrowth once I was in there, just patches of ferns, but lots and lots of fallen trees to make it a bit of an obstacle course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcRI0p3KS9A
The ground where the water comes through is a spongy layer of saturated rotten leaf litter perhaps 20m across.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2h8tncFnaz4
Then the water runs downhill, cutting a groove through the rock. This groove gets deeper as it goes down the hill and becomes more of a chasm, maybe 10m deep, with near-vertical walls and rocks at the bottom. I stopped for a drink and a couple of butterscotch lollies when a fox darted through the bushes about 10m ahead of me and I doubt he even noticed me - he was already gone before I could make any kind of move. There are smaller cuts in the rock where other water has run down the hill for thousands of years. One I found was hidden under the ferns that was a 400mm cut about 1200mm deep, with rocks at the bottom. That could be nasty to find in the dry when you can't hear the water flowing.
Screenshot 2022-12-01 141224.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-01 141224.jpg (177.05 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YwJRk3ZeULY
Screenshot 2022-12-01 141620b.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-01 141620b.jpg (133.16 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

https://youtu.be/sWtynh3Hf1w
Some lyrebirds found me entirely irrelevant and strutted around me like chickens, scratching in the mud for goodies while I sat and had a breather. It was a perfect spot to spend the night as it was a small plateau with a depression just behind the lip, like sitting in a bean bag, with a view out through the trees. But it was still early so I pushed on. I hadn't seen any sign at all that deer had been up in here, which surprised me a little. Fresh water and lots of mud to roll in and trees to rub. There were some wombat burrows higher up but I didn't see anything lower down. There were some wallabies around but I didn't see any significant scat or tracks from regular attendance, and virtually no regular animal routes cutting tunnels through the low cover or tracks through the leaf litter. I think it's a bit of a bird sanctuary mainly. I think it would be worth having another look to try to find some spots with reasonable lines of sight out among the trees to decrease some of the fox population.

There is a small grassed clearing that I wanted to look at while I was in there as it just seemed odd that it would naturally remain free of any growth in the midst of all these 30m+ trees, and with nicely mown grass. Avenza was telling me it was only about 30m ahead of me but I was looking at a solid wall of bracken and ferns. I got down on hands and knees and pushed through whatever gaps I could find but got nowhere fast. After twenty-minutes I was where the map was saying I should be right on the edge but it was still just a solid mesh of entangled crap, so I decided I wasn't going to get through without secateurs, which I hadn't brought. I backed out until I was back in the trees and went up the hill toward the perimeter track. It had taken me 50-minutes to cover just 440m, and now I hit another solid mass of foliage. I couldn't see the track through it but the map showed it was only a few steps ahead. So I put my head down and just bulldozed into it. In five or six meters I found the track, two metres below me. But I was wrapped with long ropes of vine that I'd dragged through with me. It took me a few minutes to ensure I wasn't caught in any of these before I could safely drop down the slope. Then I went along the track for 700m (hearing a deer calling in the plantation east of me) before climbing back up into the bush into a clearing I'm already familiar with, and scaring off a wallaby as I did. I took photos of some of the trees Landcare planted in here just before covid, some have been lost, some are above head height, most were just happily doing their own pace. Pretty good result here. We're actually going in again shortly to remove all the tree guards so it was good to get a look at it. I found a spot along the edge of the flat that looked out across the valley and made myself comfortable.
20221130_183112b.jpg
20221130_183112b.jpg (420.41 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

The plan was to sleep there, wake at dawn and listen and watch as the deer came to life in the morning. Then spend today going down to the likely spots for a look. By tonight I should've been bedded down on a small clearing on the end of another ridge where I could look over the next valley tomorrow morning. The plan fell apart pretty quickly :-)

I pulled my jacket on, cinched my sleeves around my gloves, wrapped scrim around my face to keep the mozzies out, pulled up my hood and cinched it up leaving just my eyes showing. I'm often asked how I sleep in the bush without a swag or tent.
20221130_194901b.jpg
20221130_194901b.jpg (222.61 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

The brim of my cap keeps the scrim away from my face and stops mozzie bites. If the ground is wet I can put a plastic sheet down to lie on, and fold up the sides around me to keep water out. If it's raining I can put another sheet over me. If it's particularly cold though, and I don't have extra clothing, there's not much I can do except find a spot out of the wind. The cold was unexpected - piss poor planning :-)

Last time I stayed out here it was in October, raining, and was an 8-degree warmer day. As it was quite a warm day, no sign of rain, and a month later in the year I assumed it would be even nicer than before. I didn't account at all for the fact that last time I slept deep in the tree cover, and down at the creek level in the bottom of the valley. 350m higher in altitude, on an exposed ridge made a huge difference.

I sat there for an hour just listening and scanning the valley with the binoculars, trying to decide the spots I wanted to get into in the morning. I had a can of tuna and onion and a boiled egg and settled in for the night. The mozzies arrived at 2035 en-masse. They parked themselves all over the netting in front of my eyes but didn't hang around long at all, perhaps twenty-minutes tops then they all disappeared. At 2040 foxes started shouting at each other from all directions in the valleys, including at least two just below the lip I was on, perhaps 50m away. They settled down to a busy night of killing native birds (and perhaps some of my mate's new lambs) after ten-minutes. This would be very difficult terrain for shooting foxes I think, no lines of sight over perhaps 40m at best, and any sightings would be fleeting as they move between foliage. I might look at putting a dead lamb in one of the small clearings and see if we can get a few that way. Other than birds it got pretty quiet, except for two very deep rumbling calls that came up from the valley. Couldn't decide if they were deer or perhaps a koala. I was drifting off when I realised I was getting quite cold so I put my gear behind me as a wind break, wrapped my wind smock around me and put my back against the breeze. Shortly after I noticed rivulets of water running off my smock, and it wasn't raining. It was not yet 2200 and I was already cold and it was only going to get colder. I wasn't shivering but I didn't think I was going to be able to get to sleep so I weighed up some options. Lie there for another seven hours, cold and miserable. Find somewhere warmer, in the dark. Or hike back to the ute and sleep in it for a few hours, then come back just before dawn.

It took me 2.5hr to do 1900m going in there, mostly downhill. I went out by cutting across to the track and following that in the dark rather than risk trying to move through the bush. The return around the track was 2500m but I managed it in just under an hour, all uphill except for 350m near the end. As I hadn't come up with a good plan to survive another two nights at that point I decided to go home and re-think my sleeping arrangements. Got home just before midnight. Was a pretty awesome little adventure though :-)

I'm thinking the swag and sleeping bag might be the best solution, but that is a lot of bulk to drag around in the bush. The swag, sleeping bag and the 80-litre pack to carry it is only 7.5kg. I weighed myself naked just beforehand at right on 100kg. Bush-ready (with 6kg of water) I was 138kg (I keep an empty 40L pack on the back of my harness for carrying out). The weight caused me no issues at all, even uphill, and I can dump 8kg without any difficulty and replace it with the swag okay. But there are places I crawled through yesterday that I really doubt I could get through with a pack on. The 40L pack I can fill with meat and throw it on my back with all my gear. With an additional pack I doubt I could carry it all together so I'd have to carry one to a point, then go back for the other and leap-frog that to a point further up, then go back for the first, and so on. Guess I'll have to try it, tomorrow perhaps :-)

Perhaps it's time to invest in one of these.
https://justgoodkit.com.au/products/tactical-sleeping-bag-by-valhalla-10-degrees-c
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 01 Dec 2022, 6:10 pm

Sounds like a good day. I can't do that sort of thing these days,damn sleep apnea
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Dec 2022, 6:53 pm

bigpete wrote:Sounds like a good day. I can't do that sort of thing these days, damn sleep apnea

There will come a time when I won't be able to either, so I'm trying to get in as much while I can.
It was a fun excursion despite being cut so short. It's actually looking like being hotter the next couple of days so I'd like to get back out there. I worked out three entry points depending on which way the wind was blowing when I got there. It worked out well as the other two routes don't have any tracks to egress when things go wrong. We learned some things though, that deer are not coming up through that valley, and that there's lots of foxes in there.

Got the swag out for an inspection and making some changes to my kit to incorporate it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2022, 7:19 pm

Thank you Bladeracer :thumbsup: That was a Good Story :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Dec 2022, 7:28 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Thank you Bladeracer :thumbsup: That was a Good Story :D

I did enjoy myself, but it would've been a better story if I'd spent three days out there, and brought home some dead foxes and venison :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 02 Dec 2022, 12:43 pm

Blade, the guys I work with swear by the US Army issued poncho liner. It's a quilted liner that weighs 2 pounds and can be attached to a US Army poncho to make an improvised rain resistant sleeping bag. They call the poncho liner a "Woobie". They say get the USGI ones not the cheap chicom knockoffs.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 02 Dec 2022, 1:27 pm

wanneroo wrote:Blade, the guys I work with swear by the US Army issued poncho liner. It's a quilted liner that weighs 2 pounds and can be attached to a US Army poncho to make an improvised rain resistant sleeping bag. They call the poncho liner a "Woobie". They say get the USGI ones not the cheap chicom knockoffs.

I'm using the US Army poncho (brilliant bit of kit) but wasn't aware there was a liner, I'll order one ASAP! I have it strapped to the back of my rig so I can reach back with my left hand and pull it out of its straps at first sign of rain and toss it over myself without stopping. When it dries out it's compact enough that I can stuff it into a pocket or down my shirt until I stop, then I re-roll it and strap it back in place.
Thanks Wanneroo :-)

BTW - does your user name stem from the Perth suburb or from somewhere else? Wanneroo is where the main race circuit in WA is.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 02 Dec 2022, 4:56 pm

I had a day of spraying WHERE NOTHING WENT WRONG OR BROKE !!!!!!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Dec 2022, 9:08 pm

I got a phone call / call to arms today.
Asking me to go hunt dogs/dingoes that have been attacking cattle over the last week.
A completely new property that consists largely of the short steep hills that seem to rise out of nowhere that the dogs seem to love.
Around here, that sort of country always has a dog problem so it seems.
It's an hour and a bit drive away which is a bit further than most of the places I shoot,,,, but hey, I'm not complaining because there's
been a distinct lack of dogs in the near vicinity now for just on two years.
Tomorrow I'll put the shooting rig back on the ute and check everything in readiness for some all nighters again. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Dec 2022, 10:34 pm

Fitting bull bar to my new quad. And getting my old one cleaned up ready to give to my nephew.... that soap u gave me DJ , turned out to be excellent. Very suds and great lather real quick. By far th best soap i have ever Used. Ill try to find out if its still available and get more. ...good luck with the dogs . Sounds likeif you can set up close to the cattle you will probably score
Used
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 03 Dec 2022, 2:19 am

Blr243 wrote:Fitting bull bar to my new quad. And getting my old one cleaned up ready to give to my nephew.... that soap u gave me DJ , turned out to be excellent. Very suds and great lather real quick. By far th best soap i have ever Used. Ill try to find out if its still available and get more. ...good luck with the dogs . Sounds likeif you can set up close to the cattle you will probably score
Used

Did it have a hole in it ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 03 Dec 2022, 7:39 am

No hole in my soap ... i had to think about that. I didt know people did that. Perhaps i have lived a sheltered life
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2022, 3:12 pm

In the bush again, fairly warm today so I stopped for a breather :-)

Was going to come in somewhere else but the owner said he could smell death nearby. So I came out and found a dead sheep 150m from his house. Would have been nice to drop a fox for him but really didn't expect to see one out in the heat. Seeing deer tracks today, though a day or two old. Unlikely to see deer moving around until it cools down.

Reconfigured my harness to strap the swag on the back and avoid a pack. Took out two-litres of water and my jacket and added a couple of apples so overall gear is still 38kg. Feeling the weight more in the heat :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 03 Dec 2022, 3:25 pm

Visited that young sow again
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Dec 2022, 5:39 pm

Watched the latest auction, a lot of serious bargains which I expected as I'm skint at the moment!! Did manage a couple of bits for the collection.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Dec 2022, 6:20 pm

Was just practising in my backyard when these 2 appeared out of nowhere while I was pulling arrows....
Screenshot_20221203-184929_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221203-184929_Gallery.jpg (238.46 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 03 Dec 2022, 9:19 pm

Just had the first good belly laugh from reading an article about Vlad the Defenestrator.

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/r ... b#comments
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2022, 9:38 pm

Went out 2000m to the end of another ridge, stopped for an apple, had a good scan around, and worked out a route to get down into the valley. The first few hundred metres were going to be easiest by working across the slope. Hopefully while doing that I would spy a route to get around the steeper bit at the bottom. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way through the thick bush just below the ridge crest. Trying to move down a steep slope covered in long grass and ferns is very taxing, you can't see what is under the grass you're stepping into. I fell into hidden burrows twice before giving up on that idea :-)

Had to be home tomorrow morning to watch over the cows as they're grazing the road verge. I could've slept there and maybe taken an early morning fox off the sheep carcass near the house, but then I would be pushing to a tight deadline to get back home early enough to watch the cows, and that didn't appeal to me at all, so I came back out. Going down the hill was a doddle, coming back up was a real mission. I'm pushing myself pretty hard because it's private property, if I get in too deep I can just leave everything in a pile and go back for it later on. It never actually occurred to me to take that step but it was bloody tough climbing that hill :-)

The route I was intending to take today (before changing it to check out the new sheep carcass) is much easier but does entail a 2500m hike around the perimeter track to get to the entry point. I'll try that one soon. I might be able to get back tomorrow to drag that carcass over the crest of the hill, then I can sit out in the paddock for a few hours and see if any foxes show up. There were a pair of wedgetail eagles circling overhead all arvo but they didn't seem interested at all in the smorgasbord lying in the paddock for them.

All up another nice day in the bush, but I'm feeling it tonight, especially in the legs :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation