What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Nov 2022, 6:55 pm

I'm very familiar with your sentiments.

I wonder if there's a leasing option for your equipment, you could definitely hire stuff to do jobs and just pass the costs on + wages to get established.
I know councils everywhere are struggling big time keeping up with slashing and mowing.
MJS do my area (and many others) wouldn't be surprised if they'd employ subcontractors especially given how hectic they are at the moment :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 01 Nov 2022, 7:44 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm very familiar with your sentiments.

I wonder if there's a leasing option for your equipment, you could definitely hire stuff to do jobs and just pass the costs on + wages to get established.
I know councils everywhere are struggling big time keeping up with slashing and mowing.
MJS do my area (and many others) wouldn't be surprised if they'd employ subcontractors especially given how hectic they are at the moment :thumbsup:

I'm not sure tbh,but its an interesting idea.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Nov 2022, 9:41 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I'm very familiar with your sentiments.

I'm not sure tbh,but its an interesting idea.

I disagree, it's a great idea. Given the shortage of labour ATM now is a good time to investigate it seriously. Companies are screaming for employees and contractors.

Talk to a good accountant. You don't need a lot to get started.

ABN or Company
Equipment lease agreement (cheap)
Ute/car & trailer
Business cards.
Probably register for GST
Public liability insurance
Laptop to keep records
Download Libre office or buy MS Office
Mobile
C.V.
Sell your self.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 Nov 2022, 3:27 am

Well after chasing ADI 223 brass for quite a while and my local gun shop telling me unavailable can't get it I finally remembered I had a mate up in Queensland yeah just down the road from the big shop well bugger me it measures up just as good as lapua and out of the bag it is inside outside chamfered can't wait to test it just so happens I have a very accurate 223 and at a third of the price about time we had a market leader......
20 for testing .
Screenshot_20221102-033446_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221102-033446_Gallery.jpg (182.9 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 02 Nov 2022, 11:20 am

I trimmed, chamfered and deburred a whole bunch of 300 Blackout and did a bunch of filming for Youtube. Also loaded up some 38 Special for a project I am working on.

Very warm this week, it was 20C today which can happen in November but not often. Next 3 days are under 20C and sunny so I am seeking to get a lot of outdoor stuff done before winter sets in.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Nov 2022, 11:26 am

deye243 wrote:Well after chasing ADI 223 brass for quite a while and my local gun shop telling me unavailable can't get it I finally remembered I had a mate up in Queensland yeah just down the road from the big shop well bugger me it measures up just as good as lapua and out of the bag it is inside outside chamfered can't wait to test it just so happens I have a very accurate 223 and at a third of the price about time we had a market leader......
20 for testing .
Screenshot_20221102-033446_Gallery.jpg

Good to hear it measures up that we'll.
I was extremely happy with my ADI brass (OSA stamped) I bought 1000 cases many years back, and have only used 100 cases which have all been loaded 6 or 7 times now with no signs of cracking.
Given I've only lost one case in 2 years, I reckon I've got around 3 lifetimes supply.
Great brass :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 02 Nov 2022, 12:07 pm

Grovelling in the wet, under my car, replacing a muffler.

No job to be doing in the bush without a hoist, but I've started it and now I have to finish.

If I can get it welded back together without setting myself alight I'll be doing well.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 05 Nov 2022, 7:41 am

More car maintenance yesterday, did a rebuild on the gas converter, first one in 340,000km.

Gas mechanic in town quoted me "all day" at $160/hr.
I did it in two and a half hours start to test drive.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2022, 8:53 am

Another day of fungicide spraying.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 05 Nov 2022, 10:48 am

We've had very warm weather here so got some roads repaired with gravel, got an overflow culvert for the bridge nicely cleared out and also did some filming for Youtube. Did a video on pressure washing off the grid, a 300 Blackout case prep video and also a 38 special project video(Part 8). The 38 project has not really got me the results I have wanted. It has been OK with Unique and Power Pistol, accuracy at time, alright but very inconsistent on the chrono. Checked the powder drop, that is all good, I think the crimp is fine, my thinking is either the powder is not the thing or the primer(S&B)
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Nov 2022, 7:09 pm

Cleaned the filter in the range hood. Spray-on Oven Cleaner worked better than Truck Wash. These things are three layers thick :o
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2022, 9:45 pm

Put in about 4 or 5 hrs helping eldest daughter move house.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Nov 2022, 7:00 am

Oldbloke wrote:Put in about 4 or 5 hrs helping eldest daughter move house.

This you OB?

images (2) (10).jpeg
images (2) (10).jpeg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Nov 2022, 7:21 am

Lazarus wrote:

This you OB?

images (2) (10).jpeg

Someone else. I have a Triton. Lol. Same loading style tho. :clap:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Nov 2022, 8:17 am

Modified my new trailer. Cut away the single Gerry can bracket and te gas bottle bracket .filled in the wells both sides for and aft of the tyre. Now I have space and I can secure 6 Gerry cans . Hoping this is enoug for my quad bike and gen set. If I drive to Cape York and spend two weeks up there it’s looking like 3000 bucks worth of petrol and Deisel. It’s a bit scary
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Nov 2022, 11:00 am

Lazarus wrote:

This you OB?

images (2) (10).jpeg

I swear the Asians could load the same amount onto one of their bicycles. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 06 Nov 2022, 3:31 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

This you OB?

The attachment images (2) (10).jpeg is no longer available

Oh absolutely, this one's a motorbike but ho-lee-sheet

Attachments
SmartSelect_20221106_162547_Gallery_50.jpg
SmartSelect_20221106_162547_Gallery_50.jpg (367.52 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 06 Nov 2022, 3:32 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Lazarus wrote:

This you OB?

The attachment images (2) (10).jpeg is no longer available

Or their motorcycle

SmartSelect_20221106_162547_Gallery_50.jpg
SmartSelect_20221106_162547_Gallery_50.jpg (367.52 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Flyonline » 06 Nov 2022, 3:54 pm

Yesterday I headed out for an evening hunt but was driven off by the mosquitos. I swear they were taking tickets to see who could carry me off! At one point I spotted a stag 150m away, but with no clear shot or any rests I had to hustle 30m or so up to a fallen log. Sitting behind it for a few minutes before deciding he'd taken a small side gulley I was absolutely monstered. The Tailor of Gloucester had nothing on me with his one blow :lol: :lol: Ended up bailing early and while walking back to the car I bumped 2 more sambar and a fox.

Today I tidied up the shed (finally) and started on some tool storage. Repurposed some old inner springs from a mattress and came up with this new storage solution.

IMG_4409.JPG
IMG_4409.JPG (115.74 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

Then cooked up a batch of English Muffins, I make a big batch every 2 weeks or so as they freeze really well and are a great way to use up excess sourdough starter. Go great for smoko toasted with a smear of honey and butter :thumbsup:

IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG (154.76 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 06 Nov 2022, 6:26 pm

Another 10hr day fungiciding, told my bosses I'll be quitting asap as I'm sick of doing the job, plus I'm in the running for a job as a maintenance man/ caretaker on a local property. Bosses don't want me to leave,and are being really nice ( they're fantastic people,I'm just sick of the job )
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 07 Nov 2022, 9:08 am

Tweaked my gas carbi shim set to get rid of a full throttle miss, mowed my 3/4 acre yard, a fire break around it, the path up to m 100m targets.
All while wasting 5gb of satellite data allowance downloading a flight sim that wouldn't install despite SEVEN attempts. The bastard
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 07 Nov 2022, 4:11 pm

Well,today I sprayed a ridiculously steep block while suffering a fever and being half delirious....pretty sure I've got the corona, the missus has,so I'm taking the week off for my birthday.....got a lovely temperature, headache,weakness,etc. Yay !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 07 Nov 2022, 4:33 pm

bigpete wrote:Well,today I sprayed a ridiculously steep block while suffering a fever and being half delirious....pretty sure I've got the corona, the missus has,so I'm taking the week off for my birthday.....got a lovely temperature, headache,weakness,etc. Yay !

Some advice, if you're receptive, from someone who's been there done that.

If it is the Wuflu, DO NOT exert yourself until well after flu symptoms are gone.

I thought I was over it when the flu lurgy part went away and did some strenuous work and literally went down like I'd been pole-axed, took more than 6 months to recover.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 07 Nov 2022, 5:14 pm

Put up a wanted ad on used guns over the weekend. Caught out a scammer today trying to sell me something he clearly didn’t have. It wasn’t hard to catch him out when he sent through a copy of a license that didn’t match his name, it wasn’t even the right category license for the firearm he was pretending to sell. Grub.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Nov 2022, 5:37 pm

Lazarus wrote:
bigpete wrote:Well,today I sprayed a ridiculously steep block while suffering a fever and being half delirious....pretty sure I've got the corona, the missus has,so I'm taking the week off for my birthday.....got a lovely temperature, headache,weakness,etc. Yay !

Some advice, if you're receptive, from someone who's been there done that.

If it is the Wuflu, DO NOT exert yourself until well after flu symptoms are gone.

I thought I was over it when the flu lurgy part went away and did some strenuous work and literally went down like I'd been pole-axed, took more than 6 months to recover.

s**t. And I'm kinda meant to be getting back into the saddle next week....
Oh yeah,just tested positive in 4 minutes flat....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2022, 7:38 pm

Worked like a. Dog. Alll day. Bought myself a nice new free flloating compass for my quad bike. 150. bucks but so worth it compared to the rubibish i have been using previously.. got a personal mini. epirb too. About time ... just in case my luck runs out one day
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Nov 2022, 8:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:Worked like a. Dog. Alll day. Bought myself a nice new free flloating compass for my quad bike. 150. bucks but so worth it compared to the rubibish i have been using previously.. got a personal mini. epirb too. About time ... just in case my luck runs out one day

And it took you this long to get an epirb ??????

When you get to using/mounting your compass,, check for variation when you turn on the ignition, and also if it's anywhere near metal.
Sometimes variations from these can be quite significant. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Nov 2022, 8:46 pm

PLB definitely a great purchase mate. Particularly when you’re out and about by yourself.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Flyonline » 08 Nov 2022, 7:18 am

Blr243 wrote:.. got a personal mini. epirb too. About time ... just in case my luck runs out one day

What did you get? Been looking at one myself, choosing between a reslink q, gme 410 or an ocean signal rescue me.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Nov 2022, 3:01 pm

Bought a little gme 350 bucks. Still in its box. I need to open the box and do the online registration.... it’s the type of handheld compass that has a vertical handle underneath and it sits In A mount. So you just lift it up and hold it clear of steel. I chose this type because of all the steel in my quad
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation