What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2022, 12:14 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:I too, had a haircut today :D :thumbsup: Bugman 5/2
Sciatic pain kept me awake at night, driving me crazy. Funny but during the day while I was active it was not much bother. Had to take medication which was a godsend. on_one_wheel 5/2
Had radiation for a BCC which they missed after day surgery. Reckon it wasn't meant to kill me because it was mis-diagnosed for 2 years before they got a move-on with it. Treatment was every week day for 6 weeks. Good luck pomemax 7/2 :thumbsup:

Went for my longest walk for years after lunch this arvo. Included some hills that I used to do. Back held up very well. Neck too. Left heel is dodgy but nowhere near frightening. Have made great progress.

I'm really looking forward to recovery, I think I'm in my 5th week, feels like a cattle prodder jammed firmly in my ass cheek with the electricity running down to my heel. I'm spending the day on my feet but unfortunately I'm shovelling with a bent back for quite a few hours a day.
It's pretty hard to fight the urge to stop moving.
I'm not getting any benefit from pain killers and think the anti inflammatorys have stopped working, that's if they actually did anything at all... poor me :violin: but I'll take this over cancer.

5 weeks. You're lucky. Mine lasted 5 years. Definitely better than cancer though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 08 Feb 2022, 12:49 am

pomemax wrote:I think I may have had the most fun Today NOT
I went for second Chemo session so in the last 4 weeks i have ad 2 Chemo and 2 Radiation.
Try to stay healthy Boy,s this aint fun

Sorry to hear that, hope you bounce out of it quickly.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 08 Feb 2022, 12:55 am

I had sciatica about 15 years ago. Once I started swimming and bike riding on a regular basis, have had nary an issue since.

This past month being down with some covid type illness and then the tooth stuff I have not really exercised and as I do in the winter a lot, go to the swimming pool. I can tell the difference in my lower back, so I need to get to the pool later this week.

There are some different exercises you can do to relieve sciatica pain. Not sure if that helps but you can find the physical therapy videos on Youtube.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2022, 3:13 am

I didn't have sciatica, but swimming fixed my back issues. 5 days a week for a few years.
But sciatica is a spine issue, usually disc related. See a Dr. Get a proper assessment. Not Dr Google.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2022, 5:16 am

Oldbloke wrote:I didn't have sciatica, but swimming fixed my back issues. 5 days a week for a few years.
But sciatica is a spine issue, usually disc related. See a Dr. Get a proper assessment. Not Dr Google.

I went to a doctor at the start of my sciatica and asked about physio to help with it., he took one look at me,said lose weight,and gave me a sheet of panadol fort. At the time I was ⅔ the weight I am now. Subsequent doctors said exactly the same,no proper advice. Wouldn't accept I'd injured my back due to hard and repetitive physical labour. Pretty hard to exercise and lose weight when you can't bloody walk. Doctors are arseholes imo
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 08 Feb 2022, 6:08 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Same issue, L3, L4 & L5 protruding discs, one of which when last scanned was described as "obliterating the S1 nerve root" I haven't even bothered going to the doctor this time round as taking endone and all the other crap is pointless, they had me on all kinds of stuff but it was the physical therapy and returning to work and time that actually helped.

Ahh back issues and discs. My advice pain meds are temporary esp the endone (synthetic heroin types) they might work good for a bit but if you take em longer then a few days you are very likely going to get hooked on em. Then you spend live as a zombie drug addict. There is a huge outcry about the rampant overuse and resulting addiction of them in US etc.

Take Drugs when it's bearable, talk to GP or physio. Pay the private fees and go direct to MRI to get idea of what it actually is. Medicare fk u badly by making you first require xray, then CT then MRI. Wasting you time.
A good physio is worth their weight in gold.
Depending on pain or underlying issues a back brace will help a huge amount as it can support the back and keep it straight, esp until your muscles strengthen.
And yes at times back/disc issues will take months or years to fix.

And remember you can get a 2nd opinion if you feel it's back, and the doc says otherwise go talk to a 2nd doc or physio. Had a few occasions where I have had to do that. Then I goto my GP and he goes..umm yeah that an issue (he should have prescribed the mri in the first place)

Best wishes to those that have it now, look after yourself and take it easy it will come good, give it time
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 08 Feb 2022, 6:29 am

G'day to all fellow sciatica sufferers,

I ruptured a disc [L5/S1] at the base of my spine in 1984 during a violent incident at an institution where I worked in Melbourne. In 1996 the disc was removed by a neuro-surgeon and a certain amount of 'excavation' of the L5 vertebral body occurred to make more room for the nerve root as I was facing complete loss of function/control in the lower 'systems, e.g. bladder and bowel, and, of course the ongoing pain was debilitating. I still have occasional bouts of mild sciatica and always have an ongoing light degree of paraesthesia [tingling] down the left leg as nerves, I'm told, have their own 'memories'.

The one exercise I have always practised is to stretch my spine by either hanging by the arms from a branch of a tree or using a titling inversion table I have in the garage. The traction caused by hanging by the arms or being upside-down opens up the spaces between the vertebral bodies and takes pressure off the nerve roots. Many years ago I trained in physical education. The director of the PE program used to say that hanging by the arms from a branch of horizontal bar was one exercise he would do every day as our [human] design places excessive strain on our spine as we stand and walk around in a vertical posture, whereas we developed from apes which move mostly on all fours so that their spines are well supported horizontally and not compressed. To this day at 71 I am totally unrestricted in what physical work I can do around my small farm, but do stretch my back regularly by hanging.

I must emphasise that the surgery was the only first part of the 'cure'. The second part was intensive and daily physiotherapy including stretching and mobilising my spine. The surgery without the physiotherapy was never sufficient by itself. It also helped that at the time of the surgery I was an active road-racing club cyclist training/racing about 300-350 kms per week, lean and fit.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2022, 8:18 am

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I didn't have sciatica, but swimming fixed my back issues. 5 days a week for a few years.

I went to a doctor at the start of my sciatica and asked about physio to help with it., he took one look at me,said lose weight,and gave me a sheet of panadol fort. At the time I was ⅔ the weight I am now. Subsequent doctors said exactly the same,no proper advice. Wouldn't accept I'd injured my back due to hard and repetitive physical labour. Pretty hard to exercise and lose weight when you can't bloody walk. Doctors are arseholes imo

Perhaps there is a reason why.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Feb 2022, 8:36 am

bigpete wrote:

Yep. 90% of doctors are 90% worthless
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2022, 9:33 am

Delete
Last edited by bigpete on 08 Feb 2022, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2022, 9:49 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Perhaps there is a reason why.

Perhaps you misread.....I gained the weight AFTER the injury.....I WANTED advice for physio rather than pain meds so I could get rid of it,and was told the same bulls**t story,just lose weight and you'll be fine.....f***ing bulls**t.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 08 Feb 2022, 12:40 pm

Fell of a step ladder while installing some smoke detectors. Oh I am getting old. DOH!
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2022, 1:05 pm

Bugman wrote:Fell of a step ladder while installing some smoke detectors. Oh I am getting old. DOH!

The positive side is, I bet you know a lot of dead people.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 08 Feb 2022, 1:21 pm

bigpete wrote:Perhaps you misread.....I gained the weight AFTER the injury.....I WANTED advice for physio rather than pain meds so I could get rid of it,and was told the same bulls**t story,just lose weight and you'll be fine.....f***ing bulls**t.....

That's where finding a good sports medicine doctor is the thing to do. They specialize in movement of the body and can probably help more than a GP.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 08 Feb 2022, 2:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Bugman wrote:Fell of a step ladder while installing some smoke detectors. Oh I am getting old. DOH!

The positive side is, I bet you know a lot of dead people.

Yep. Sure do! Sad as it is.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GJP69 » 11 Feb 2022, 4:48 pm

Well yesterday actually not today, finally picked up from the dealer my first 2 rifles. Timber stocked 2nd hand jw15 in 22 and T/C Compass in 7mm08. Off to the range this weekend with 9 different types of ammo for the 22 and see how it goes and I'll also put some 140gr Winchester deer season through compass to do a trial and cleaning of that. Fingers crossed. Exciting times ahead.
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Feb 2022, 6:21 pm

I currently have "one" single steel rimmed spare wheel that slides in underneath the back of my ute tray and is as heavy as,,,,,
Apart from the fact that it is a higher profile wheel than what I'm running,, and that I want the space that it's currently using for something else,,
I've decided to get rid of it.
Recently I purchased 2nd hand a matching pair of Alloy wheels and tires that are the same size as what I'm running.
One of these has never been fitted or on the road.
The other has been on the road for only a short amount of klms .
They will be mounted side by side underneath an aluminium chequer plate cover on top of the ute dog box

So, today I made the drive to go and pick them up.

100_6103.JPG
100_6103.JPG (572.6 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
100_6105.JPG
100_6105.JPG (580.65 KiB) Viewed 10490 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm

I put a bullet through my chronograph :-)
1112022145315.jpg
1112022145315.jpg (235.3 KiB) Viewed 10488 times

1112022145454.jpg
1112022145454.jpg (337.16 KiB) Viewed 10488 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Feb 2022, 7:34 pm

Only got one question for you Blade,,,,,,,,,

Was it real difficult to do ???
:unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 8:35 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Only got one question for you Blade,,,,,,,,,

Was it real difficult to do ???
:unknown:

Not at all :-)
Shooting at 100m from a 50m zero with .22LR. I knew the bullet was going to drop, and I actually did allow enough for it, but one pesky flier dropped a little further than expected :-)
Rest of the 10rd group was neatly above the chrono.
Terrible day for shooting though, possibly the worst mirage I've seen, and wind gusting from 2mph to 6mph from 3-o'clock.

The bullet took out the front PCB with the LCD on it, but the two PCB's mounting the light sensors seem to be undamaged. The bullet stopped at the rear light funnel without penetrating. It took out the forward light funnel and lens. I might try pulling the board from another dead one and see if I can repair it as a backup.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Feb 2022, 8:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:I put a bullet through my chronograph

Once she's fixed, it'll pay to build some sort of steel armour to sit in front of it.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 8:52 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I put a bullet through my chronograph

Once she's fixed, it'll pay to build some sort of steel armour to sit in front of it.

Yep, something I've thought about many times, without ever getting around to it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 11 Feb 2022, 8:58 pm

Shot birds at work again,then came home and whipped up a sheath for one of my knives
FB_IMG_1644577012003.jpg
FB_IMG_1644577012003.jpg (64.9 KiB) Viewed 10471 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 12 Feb 2022, 12:44 am

bladeracer wrote:
The bullet took out the front PCB with the LCD on it, but the two PCB's mounting the light sensors seem to be undamaged. The bullet stopped at the rear light funnel without penetrating. It took out the forward light funnel and lens. I might try pulling the board from another dead one and see if I can repair it as a backup.

As I recall, Competition Electronics will repair an old one for half the cost of a new one.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2022, 9:19 am

wanneroo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

As I recall, Competition Electronics will repair an old one for half the cost of a new one.

Interesting, but postage might be steep. I'll discuss it with them and maybe send two together. Thanks for the tip :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 12 Feb 2022, 11:35 am

I am going to case prep .243 today. I signed my boy up as a co-user and he has bought 100 x 80gn projectiles and I have 2 Kg of 2208 The heatwave has passed so soon it will be time to go South and learn the Kangaroos
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2022, 1:21 pm

I'm trying to draw useful data from a .22LR test I shot yesterday. From 50rds each of 1070fps and 1240fps 40gn ammo, shot at 50m, 100m, 150m and 200m, the only useful and conclusive conclusion I can make is...don't shoot the chronograph :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 12 Feb 2022, 1:27 pm

Went fox whistling with my fiancé today. Saw an antechinus. Didn't see any foxes. Not sure whether to be elated or disappointed lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Feb 2022, 7:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'm trying to draw useful data from a .22LR test I shot yesterday. From 50rds each of 1070fps and 1240fps 40gn ammo, shot at 50m, 100m, 150m and 200m, the only useful and conclusive conclusion I can make is...don't shoot the chronograph :-)

There is always a silver lining in every cloud,,,,,

At least you got reasonable penetration,,,, and bloody excellent expansion. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2022, 8:13 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I'm trying to draw useful data from a .22LR test I shot yesterday. From 50rds each of 1070fps and 1240fps 40gn ammo, shot at 50m, 100m, 150m and 200m, the only useful and conclusive conclusion I can make is...don't shoot the chronograph :-)

There is always a silver lining in every cloud,,,,,

At least you got reasonable penetration,,,, and bloody excellent expansion. :lol:

That was surprising :-)
It went through the front plastic cover, maybe 1mm thick max, and the circuit board, then three pieces of plastic maybe 2mm thick. Then it hit the fourth piece of plastic and barely left a dent while flattening right out.

CEI do offer to repair any of their products for whatever reason for not more than half the cost of a new one. New ones are $350 to $400. I'm thinking I can send them two dead ones and get them both back fixed, for max $400, plus whatever the postage might be. I want to contact them and ask if I send them just the circuit boards can they send me replacements for the same price. Seems a waste to send the two plastic boxes of air halfway around the world and back. None of the internals attach to the box at all, they just rest in notches, all held in place by the external box.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation