What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bigpete » 24 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm

Shot birds.....lots of birds.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jan 2022, 6:55 pm

Well,, not today, last week bunged a new Leopold on my 223. Zeroed it too.

Moths got out of the purse. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jan 2022, 7:14 pm

Hole diggin, concrete. Post installation build deck roof. Fit corro roofing order flashings , some decking took my dog to the park meal at club bundy and coke Same ol
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Jan 2022, 12:23 pm

Screenshot_20220130-124918_Messenger.jpg
Cast a heap of .36 maxi balls for Jemima,my .36 TC Seneca
Screenshot_20220130-124918_Messenger.jpg (575.1 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
20220130_125038.jpg
Finished up a new backquiver to go with my 2 piece longbow
20220130_125038.jpg (544.06 KiB) Viewed 9290 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Jan 2022, 2:26 pm

I donated to the National Shooting Council.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 31 Jan 2022, 10:49 am

It's been extremely cold here, way below normal, especially at night, anywhere from 0F to -18F with windchills lower. So that kinda dampens outdoor activities.

But busy training a new puppy and filmed a few Youtube videos in the barn and if this weather pattern continues February will stay cold and snowy so probably a lot of reloading in my future.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 01 Feb 2022, 7:54 am

Sitting at Melbourne airport, waiting to fly back home to Logan in SE Queensland so I can buy another rifle
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 01 Feb 2022, 10:01 am

G'day,

Today I'm back in the tractor working up a small horse paddock that's very compacted. Yesterday I was flat on my back courtesy of No. 3 booster [Pfizer] injection on Sunday: moderate headache, aching joints and likely a mild fever until I took a Nurofen late afternoon. It's still better than getting crook with the Chinese bug and then getting buried since I'm 1. old, and 2. have a stuffed immune system due to leukaemia.

At least it's much cooler and the humidity is less today. I much prefer the snowy cold being experienced by wanneroo in the US winter.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 01 Feb 2022, 1:48 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

Today I'm back in the tractor working up a small horse paddock that's very compacted. Yesterday I was flat on my back courtesy of No. 3 booster [Pfizer] injection on Sunday: moderate headache, aching joints and likely a mild fever until I took a Nurofen late afternoon. It's still better than getting crook with the Chinese bug and then getting buried since I'm 1. old, and 2. have a stuffed immune system due to leukaemia.

At least it's much cooler and the humidity is less today. I much prefer the snowy cold being experienced by wanneroo in the US winter.

Jim

I don't mind winter but -0F(-17C) and below weather day after day starts to get a bit harsh. However I can see the days are gradually getting longer and spring is right around the corner 4 months from now. :lol:

I'm looking at buying a portable propane heater so I can do some shooting outside and use it to keep my hands warm.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by NTSOG » 01 Feb 2022, 3:00 pm

G'day wanneroo,

I lived through an extreme winter storm when living on-campus at George Williams College in Downers Grove, Illinois in early 1979. The storm shut down the whole of Chicago for the best part of a week and temperatures got down to - 34F. I loved it as the College was on about 200 acres and I and others cross country skied everywhere around campus, whereas when I lived on campus at IU Bloomington, In. there wasn't that much snow and the summer heat and humidity was terrible. I can't take the humidity. My wife is from northern Wisconsin [Eagle River area] and I loved the Northwoods. We once skied in -60F [with the wind-chill] - it was alright if you didn't stop moving. I love crisp powder snow.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 Feb 2022, 3:15 pm

Random fact but -40 fahrenheit and -40 celsius are the the same temperature. It is the only time they are equal.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 01 Feb 2022, 4:18 pm

Here's another random 'fact' - sort of: I get terrible chilblains on my toes in winter and have since I was a lad growing up in Melbourne. When living in the USA for 5 years and spending as much time as I could cross country skiing in the winter cold I never got a chilblain. I think it was because there was less humidity in the air, whereas living in Melbourne near Port Phillip Bay it was always a 'damp' cold. My in-laws in Wisconsin always had a humidifier running in the house as the quite severe cold drew the moisture out of the air causing furniture to shrink [dehydrate].

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 01 Feb 2022, 4:23 pm

Fitted a rear winch to the back of my Ute , drilling , swarf , rolling around no shirt in the dirt and swarf getting cut up , knock off early too hot. Found bulk supply of lanolin for resizing brass ... bought myself a hydraulic air jack . Tomorrow fitting the battery and battery box , possibly wiring. It’s great to have a few days off work at the moment.... a touch too bloody hot
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2022, 6:03 pm

NTSOG wrote:Here's another random 'fact' - sort of: I get terrible chilblains on my toes in winter and have since I was a lad growing up in Melbourne. When living in the USA for 5 years and spending as much time as I could cross country skiing in the winter cold I never got a chilblain. I think it was because there was less humidity in the air, whereas living in Melbourne near Port Phillip Bay it was always a 'damp' cold. My in-laws in Wisconsin always had a humidifier running in the house as the quite severe cold drew the moisture out of the air causing furniture to shrink [dehydrate].

Jim

I got chilblains last year for the first time ever. I used an IR thermometer to discover that if my toes got down below 14C on the skin surface, chilblains would be happening. Keeping them above that temp solved it, but keeping the temperature up under field conditions can be very difficult. Even wearing three pairs of socks my feet just don't generate enough heat to keep themselves warm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 02 Feb 2022, 8:17 am

bladeracer wrote:
I got chilblains last year for the first time ever. I used an IR thermometer to discover that if my toes got down below 14C on the skin surface, chilblains would be happening. Keeping them above that temp solved it, but keeping the temperature up under field conditions can be very difficult. Even wearing three pairs of socks my feet just don't generate enough heat to keep themselves warm.

Blade, have you ever tried gore-tex socks? Years ago I had a pair when I was in the Army and when it got cold and wet and everyone else had freezing feet I was always (relatively) comfortable. If you wear them over a pair of regular wool socks they keep the heat in pretty well.

The ones I had were called Seal Skinz, might be worth a try.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 02 Feb 2022, 10:10 am

G'day,

In winter I bring my work boots/gum boots inside so as to be sure that they will be dry next morning. I'm convinced that it is the damp plus the cold that leads to those itchy, painful chilblains after my experience in the USA's dry cold. I don't cross country ski any more but still cycle daily which means my feet [in cycling shoes] are exposed to the wet and the wind. Even over-boots aren't enough to protect my toes fully in winter when cycling. There is an ointment for chilblains called Mcgloin's Chilblain Ointment which can help. I've also taken to smearing Vicks Vapour Rub on my toes before going outside in winter. The ointment contains camphor which, my wife tells me, should help stimulate local blood circulation. Overall fresh dry socks and dry boots is the best preventative measure I know.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 02 Feb 2022, 10:53 am

Tried to sight in my reflex sight on the citadel as it seemed to be hitting low right. Took that off,put the original sights back on. Tried hitting birds in flight with them,got the s**ts,so took all the sights and the picatinny rail off. Aaaah,simplicity
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2022, 12:15 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Blade, have you ever tried gore-tex socks? Years ago I had a pair when I was in the Army and when it got cold and wet and everyone else had freezing feet I was always (relatively) comfortable. If you wear them over a pair of regular wool socks they keep the heat in pretty well.

The ones I had were called Seal Skinz, might be worth a try.

Searching this out now!
Thanks Don, I'll order some and hopefully no more chilblains this winter :-)

Why doesn't the military issue them if they're good? Is it left to the individuals to sort out? If I were in trouble I'd like to know that the blokes covering my back are concentrating on the job rather than their cold toes :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2022, 12:30 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

In winter I bring my work boots/gum boots inside so as to be sure that they will be dry next morning. I'm convinced that it is the damp plus the cold that leads to those itchy, painful chilblains after my experience in the USA's dry cold. I don't cross country ski any more but still cycle daily which means my feet [in cycling shoes] are exposed to the wet and the wind. Even over-boots aren't enough to protect my toes fully in winter when cycling. There is an ointment for chilblains called Mcgloin's Chilblain Ointment which can help. I've also taken to smearing Vicks Vapour Rub on my toes before going outside in winter. The ointment contains camphor which, my wife tells me, should help stimulate local blood circulation. Overall fresh dry socks and dry boots is the best preventative measure I know.

Jim

I don't wear gum boots except in extraordinary situations, maybe a couple times a year if we're working with cattle in the yards. I did wear Otway's long boots for a year or more when I moved here trying to beat the cold, but wore through the neoprene upper very quickly, and they have poor ankle support. I rolled my ankle very badly one night. They do a new Storm Long that appears to address the wear issue. I prefer fully-laced tall leather combat boots for the ankle support.

My boots stay in the house, I have never left my boots outside. Though Rose and her family grew up here leaving their muddy boots out on the verandah I can't bring myself to do the same. I'll take them off at the door but they still come inside with me.

I'll keep note of those treatments though, just in case I have issues again this winter :-)
Never even heard of bloody chilblains until moving here!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 02 Feb 2022, 1:05 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day wanneroo,

I lived through an extreme winter storm when living on-campus at George Williams College in Downers Grove, Illinois in early 1979. The storm shut down the whole of Chicago for the best part of a week and temperatures got down to - 34F. I loved it as the College was on about 200 acres and I and others cross country skied everywhere around campus, whereas when I lived on campus at IU Bloomington, In. there wasn't that much snow and the summer heat and humidity was terrible. I can't take the humidity. My wife is from northern Wisconsin [Eagle River area] and I loved the Northwoods. We once skied in -60F [with the wind-chill] - it was alright if you didn't stop moving. I love crisp powder snow.

Jim

Yes I vacationed in Eagle River back a few years ago. Stayed a week at a house a few miles from town on one of the lakes. Loved it. Had never spent any time there before and I wouldn't go to Wisconsin all the time for vacation but certainly would love to go back to Eagle River again every few years. It's not the west and it's not the east and the Northwoods has their own vibe. The nice thing with Eagle River is it has some elevation and is far enough north that summer isn't too bad. Most days we were there it was 70-82F during the day and that was late July as I recall. The only problem for me is the logistics getting there, it's basically a 2 day drive and it's not easy to fly into. I talked to my sisters and they are interested in going again someday, so we'll see.

I could tell from the way the house was built it gets way colder there than where I live and I also saw there and in the UP of Michigan many snowmobile trails, which would be interesting to do someday.

Sounds like you need to come back sometime if you haven't recently.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Don_Stevenson » 02 Feb 2022, 1:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Why doesn't the military issue them if they're good? Is it left to the individuals to sort out? If I were in trouble I'd like to know that the blokes covering my back are concentrating on the job rather than their cold toes :-)

20 years ago a lot of the gear was pretty poor.

The Army seemed to operate on the assumption that all fighting would take place in warm climates so cold weather kit was almost non existent. The standard sleeping bag for example was bulky, heavy and only good down to about 8 degrees. Fine for Darwin and Townsville but rubbish at Puckapunyal in Vic. Our field jumpers were still the woollen "Howard green" style that you see in WW2 movies and they weighed a ton and weren't that warm.

Toward the end of my time we were starting to see things like goretex rain gear, gore tex bivvy bags and a few other odds and ends but any gucci kit you had to buy from your own cash or your uniform allowance.

I have seen some of the new gear and things like the new combat shirts and pants look much better. For example the pants have inbuilt knee pads which would have saved me a very annoying career ending injury!
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 02 Feb 2022, 1:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I don't wear gum boots except in extraordinary situations, maybe a couple times a year if we're working with cattle in the yards. I did wear Otway's long boots for a year or more when I moved here trying to beat the cold, but wore through the neoprene upper very quickly, and they have poor ankle support. I rolled my ankle very badly one night. They do a new Storm Long that appears to address the wear issue. I prefer fully-laced tall leather combat boots for the ankle support.

My boots stay in the house, I have never left my boots outside. Though Rose and her family grew up here leaving their muddy boots out on the verandah I can't bring myself to do the same. I'll take them off at the door but they still come inside with me.

I'll keep note of those treatments though, just in case I have issues again this winter :-)
Never even heard of bloody chilblains until moving here!

Do you have boot warmers? Once you go to boot warmers you'll never go back to sticking your foot in damp or cold boots in the morning again.

A lot of hunters here in the USA swear by battery powered heated socks.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2022, 2:26 pm

wanneroo wrote:Do you have boot warmers? Once you go to boot warmers you'll never go back to sticking your foot in damp or cold boots in the morning again.

A lot of hunters here in the USA swear by battery powered heated socks.

Never even heard of boot warmers :-)

Because my boots stay inside overnight they're usually dry by the morning, and if not I have four pairs I wear. I'm always buying boots in the never-ending hunt to find the perfect pair :-)

In the field I don't take my boots off, I don't make any kind of camp, I just find a spot to lay down and go to sleep. I never have anything to pack when I wake up in the dark. At most I might have to roll up my poncho and strap it back on my harness, otherwise I just clip my rifle on and get going.

I have bought cheap heated socks in the past to see if they were plausible, but they never worked at all well. I would assume more expensive stuff would be better.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2022, 2:37 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:20 years ago a lot of the gear was pretty poor.

The Army seemed to operate on the assumption that all fighting would take place in warm climates so cold weather kit was almost non existent. The standard sleeping bag for example was bulky, heavy and only good down to about 8 degrees. Fine for Darwin and Townsville but rubbish at Puckapunyal in Vic. Our field jumpers were still the woollen "Howard green" style that you see in WW2 movies and they weighed a ton and weren't that warm.

Toward the end of my time we were starting to see things like goretex rain gear, gore tex bivvy bags and a few other odds and ends but any gucci kit you had to buy from your own cash or your uniform allowance.

I have seen some of the new gear and things like the new combat shirts and pants look much better. For example the pants have inbuilt knee pads which would have saved me a very annoying career ending injury!

I have owned a couple of those army jumpers as a kid, we called them Commando jumpers, with the shoulder and elbow patches. In Cadets in the early eighties we wore the lighter V-neck pull-over with the slots you had to pull your epaulets through, very annoying, but very comfortable and less prone to getting caught on branches.
https://www.mitchellsadventure.com/clothing/outer-layer/jumpers/new-australian-v-neck-khaki/ecpg001.aspx

Knee pads are a great idea, all trousers should have them!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 02 Feb 2022, 2:47 pm

If I could justify them I would buy a pair of the Crye combat pants with the integrated knee pads in a plain colour but they are about $500aud!
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2022, 3:57 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:If I could justify them I would buy a pair of the Crye combat pants with the integrated knee pads in a plain colour but they are about $500aud!

Yeah, well out of my price bracket :-)
Platatac's TacDax Mk3 are half that, but still too steep to destroy them on farm work, so only for hunting.

I still have various hard body armour I used to wear under my race leathers. Separate pads I can strap on under my clothing for knee, shin, elbow, and forearm protection, as well as full under-armour suits you put on before climbing into your leathers, these have lots more armour, including spine, neck and shoulder armour.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 03 Feb 2022, 4:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Because my boots stay inside overnight they're usually dry by the morning, and if not I have four pairs I wear. I'm always buying boots in the never-ending hunt to find the perfect pair :-)

In the field I don't take my boots off, I don't make any kind of camp, I just find a spot to lay down and go to sleep. I never have anything to pack when I wake up in the dark. At most I might have to roll up my poncho and strap it back on my harness, otherwise I just clip my rifle on and get going.

I have bought cheap heated socks in the past to see if they were plausible, but they never worked at all well. I would assume more expensive stuff would be better.

Boot warmers are electric, plug into the wall, and once placed in the boots, circulate warm dry air through the boot during the night. In the morning you have a nice warm dry boot to put on.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 4:22 pm

wanneroo wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Boot warmers are electric, plug into the wall, and once placed in the boots, circulate warm dry air through the boot during the night. In the morning you have a nice warm dry boot to put on.

My boots are always going to be room temperature so not an issue.

Electric socks for use outdoors would be more useful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Feb 2022, 5:38 pm

Broke yet another charging handle on the citadel bt3000......head shot 2 rabbits for the pot.....shot and lost a fox to the vineyard......and shot dozens more birds
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Don_Stevenson » 03 Feb 2022, 7:18 pm

Apparently electric heated socks are a thing now, wonders will never cease!

I may buy some for my wife because she always has cold feet.

My day was once again spent forlornly waiting for the shop to call me and let me know where my rifle is...
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation