What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jan 2023, 6:56 pm

Went up to do my Silhouette practice and there was one big girl out there on her own, one that is due in eight days. She moaned around me a bit then had a lie down, so I went and set up the steels, and filled my tummy with blackberries while I was there. Yesterday, after practice I heaved the steel rack over the fence, forgetting that Rose had electrified it, and got zapped across both breasts - no fun doing that. I took a sheet of rubber up today to lay over the fence while I climbed over :-)
20230130_180530b.jpg
20230130_180530b.jpg (242.51 KiB) Viewed 2524 times

She was still having a moan so I checked on her again and she had an extra foot, so I rang Rose.
Baby was coming backwards and one leg was folded so we only had one foot and a tail showing. Rose went in with her little arms and managed to get the chain around the folded leg above the joint. Then I got on the crowbar and heaved. A beautiful little girl popped out.
20230130_193526b.jpg
20230130_193526b.jpg (341.05 KiB) Viewed 2524 times

Last one is due in about five weeks, and they'll be in the middle block then so we'll be driving up to check on her every three or four hours when she's nearing her time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 31 Jan 2023, 6:45 pm

I really shouldn't be allowed to go to gun shops by myself, always end up buying something I don't necessarily need :lol:
In other news, picked up this little minx today....
328696477_570701391373344_3306424001104290100_n.jpg
328696477_570701391373344_3306424001104290100_n.jpg (529.81 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2023, 8:28 pm

Met a mate for lunch at an RSL Club.
He delivered two horns that were given to me by a fellow shooter. Shooters courier service. :D
My next shed project is a powder horn for the ML.

Resized_20230131_200334.jpeg
Resized_20230131_200334.jpeg (211.42 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 01 Feb 2023, 2:13 am

Winter here grinds on. Yin yang weather this winter, cold, warm, snow, rain, ice, not a lot of sun.

I think I need to go back to my plan years ago of spending January in Australia or New Zealand. Not that I mind winter, I don't, but there is limited stuff going on in January and work is typically slow, so I am bound to inside or the indoor pool in town. May as well head to the southern hemisphere, enjoy the beach, mountain biking, driving around and seeing things, going to motor races, etc.

My Glock build hit a hitch. I spent 7 hours wet sanding and deburring the polymer lower and got it looking really good. Magazine release went in fine, same as the front rails but the rear rails sat just a touch high where the hole would not match up for the pin. Apparently looking online this is a very common problem. So I wet sanded the metal and also the polymer frame but no luck and ended up bending the metal piece trying to drive in the pin. So I found a guy in New Hampshire that machines rails that apparently fit better so I ordered a couple. Hopefully it works. Also learned how to put the trigger mechanism together.

The good thing about all this is learning how Glocks go together, so now I am comfortable with disassembling my Glock 17 completely as it is grungy from 10 years of hard use and I can do some upgrades on it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2023, 6:30 pm

I was given a length of new 310UB40 yesterday that I can test some rifles on to determine minimum ranges before the steel is damaged. They assured me that whatever effect my bullets have on the 6.1mm web and 10.2mm flanges of this will be the same on mild steel sheet. The flanges are 165mm wide so I should be able to hit it at some distance with scoped rifles. This lump weighs 33kg so is relatively portable - at my mate's place I can drive it to within about 50m of where I plan to put it.

I've also ordered a 1200x1200mm sheet of 5mm Biz450 for testing but that has to come from Melbourne. This thing will weigh 60kg and be bloody awkward. When it arrives I'll take it out and shoot it at 1000m just for some range DOPE, then I'll cut it up into smaller targets.

And I got out today for a practice at 200yd with the SMLE at a mate's place.
20230202_163600d.jpg
20230202_163600d.jpg (79.43 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

The plan was to check my elevation at 180m (200yd), then take the Figure 11 and the UB up to 460m (500yd) to get a sight position (for the LERAA shoot on Feb 18) and to see what the .303 might do to the 6mm and 10mm steel. Unfortunately I only put twenty rounds down range before the storm hit with some fury.
20230202_170304c.jpg
20230202_170304c.jpg (311.17 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Feb 2023, 10:42 pm

wanneroo wrote:Winter here grinds on. Yin yang weather this winter, cold, warm, snow, rain, ice, not a lot of sun..

:wtf: No Floods or Cyclones ???????
Yer missing out Matey.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Feb 2023, 10:45 pm

Today I bit the bullet and committed to the latest Thermal LRF Binoculars,, and I'm like a kid on Xmas night.
Whooops, did I hear a sound up on the roof ???
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 03 Feb 2023, 2:46 am

Die Judicii wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Winter here grinds on. Yin yang weather this winter, cold, warm, snow, rain, ice, not a lot of sun..

:wtf: No Floods or Cyclones ???????
Yer missing out Matey.

I see the weather in Australia is interesting today, snow forecast for the high country in Victoria and Tasmania and more rain elsewhere.

No floods here except for some snow melt earlier this month. On occasion we can get the remnants of a hurricane that moves up the east coast in late summer or fall.

Actually the sun has been coming out this week with some clear days so I am going to try to get into my range and do some shooting and filming for the channel.

But a cold snap tomorrow night down to -7F(-22C) but then back up above freezing next week.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Flyonline » 05 Feb 2023, 2:50 pm

Took the 30-06 for a walk today as it has been begging to get out for a while but the fishing's been too good :lol:

I've been struggling to get onto goats lately, the rain has changed their pattern completely so I changed tack and aimed to hit the dryer/harder slopes, particularly as it has been cold lately. Heading up this bottle neck of a gully I heard movement and spotted a mature billy at the same time.

IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG (435.52 KiB) Viewed 2383 times

He made the mistake of walking out of cover and into a clear patch through the top of a red stringy-bark I was luckily behind on the opposite face. A 45-50m shot uphill off my knees put the 150gr Corelokt straight through his nearside shoulder and out the top of the offside. A quick tumble down the steep slope and a few twitches and he was done :thumbsup:

IMG_4568.JPG
IMG_4568.JPG (522.03 KiB) Viewed 2383 times

I did try and track down the impact point (unsuccessfully) with a view to finding the result from the bullet as it'd penciled straight through him - I was expecting some expansion at least as it definitely went through the nearside shoulder :unknown:

Not a lot of sign had been seen, but what I did see lead me to believe he'd been ejected from or left a mob further up the hill, but with the wind blowing up the gully I pushed across the top of some finger ridges/smaller gullies looking for recent sign. Interestingly I came across a couple of very active bee hives in standing trees. A few fresh droppings and a handful of prints was it - only 2 set of deer tracks were positively ID all morning (rain had gone through the day before). My route took me through a dryer area where I used to see some sign, but I couldn't see anything recent so I'm buggered if I know where they've all absconded too - possibly sticking up high on the steeper faces. Everything I read/hear suggests that this is where they should be, but I've had a heck of a lot more success down lower, but the amount of green pick and the non-reliance on water in the gully bottoms make them able to move anywhere.

Would have preferred a nice young nanny but I'm not complaining!

Steve
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2023, 4:17 pm

Flyonline wrote:Took the 30-06 for a walk today as it has been begging to get out for a while but the fishing's been too good :lol:

I've been struggling to get onto goats lately, the rain has changed their pattern completely so I changed tack and aimed to hit the dryer/harder slopes, particularly as it has been cold lately. Heading up this bottle neck of a gully I heard movement and spotted a mature billy at the same time.

IMG_4565.JPG

He made the mistake of walking out of cover and into a clear patch through the top of a red stringy-bark I was luckily behind on the opposite face. A 45-50m shot uphill off my knees put the 150gr Corelokt straight through his nearside shoulder and out the top of the offside. A quick tumble down the steep slope and a few twitches and he was done :thumbsup:

IMG_4568.JPG

I did try and track down the impact point (unsuccessfully) with a view to finding the result from the bullet as it'd penciled straight through him - I was expecting some expansion at least as it definitely went through the nearside shoulder :unknown:

Not a lot of sign had been seen, but what I did see lead me to believe he'd been ejected from or left a mob further up the hill, but with the wind blowing up the gully I pushed across the top of some finger ridges/smaller gullies looking for recent sign. Interestingly I came across a couple of very active bee hives in standing trees. A few fresh droppings and a handful of prints was it - only 2 set of deer tracks were positively ID all morning (rain had gone through the day before). My route took me through a dryer area where I used to see some sign, but I couldn't see anything recent so I'm buggered if I know where they've all absconded too - possibly sticking up high on the steeper faces. Everything I read/hear suggests that this is where they should be, but I've had a heck of a lot more success down lower, but the amount of green pick and the non-reliance on water in the gully bottoms make them able to move anywhere.

Would have preferred a nice young nanny but I'm not complaining!

Steve

Noice one. Slow cook him and he'll turn out alright.

Today I grumped lots at kids.....lots and lots lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2023, 8:24 pm

We picked up the ashes of Shayla today. A little cuttie. She was about 5 when we got her from a rescue organisation 8 years ago. She was ill with diabetes and we think also cushing's disease for about 8 weeks and died early Sunday in her bed at home.

Resized_Shayla_20180327.jpeg
Resized_Shayla_20180327.jpeg (219.72 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Feb 2023, 8:44 pm

Screenshot_20230207-211202_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230207-211202_Gallery.jpg (664.35 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

Went out collecting blackberries with the missus tonight....she kept eating them though !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Feb 2023, 10:24 pm

:clap: :violin: :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2023, 11:32 pm

Two things that go hand in hand in Sth Aus.

Blackberry bushes and Tiger Snakes.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2023, 1:33 am

Die Judicii wrote:Two things that go hand in hand in Sth Aus.

Blackberry bushes and Tiger Snakes.

Not necessarily
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2023, 1:42 am

In fact,when I think about it,I've seen Tiger snakes everywhere BUT in and around blackberries. You could say its because they're such good cover but then so are phragmite and bull rush swamps,and I've seen plenty in that sort of stuff. Either way,was that unfussed by the thought of snakes I wore shorts and thongs ( the bigger problem with that was getting blackberry thorns in my feet lol ).
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2023, 3:18 am

bigpete wrote:

Went out collecting blackberries with the missus tonight....she kept eating them though !

That's cool, we've been doing the same :-)
Rose was making a huge batch of strawberry jam yesterday...while I was out shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2023, 5:07 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:

That's cool, we've been doing the same :-)
Rose was making a huge batch of strawberry jam yesterday...while I was out shooting.

There's a bumper crop of them at work this year so may as well take advantage of the resource.
We also went for a fish,the dam is stocked with silver perch and trout and I have caught the perch back in winter,but we can't even get a bite now during summer which is very odd.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2023, 4:05 pm

Screenshot_20230208-163144_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230208-163144_Gallery.jpg (356.64 KiB) Viewed 2260 times

Just hung the Keesteel axe head i found while cleaning sheds at work on a custom 36" spotted gum handle made by Van Dieman Handles in Tasmania. Should make a good partner to the modified Kelly axe on a standard 32" home hardware handle. Just need to make an overstrike protector for it,and masks for both of them.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Feb 2023, 5:46 pm

Going back to the discussion on hunting boomerangs,,,,,,
If one was (thrown properly) at you, or any other game for that matter,,,,, due to the inherent design the only visible sign of it coming,,, would only be the thin leading edge. ie; almost invisible.

Makes one think about where and how the yanks got the idea for the design of the the Stealth Bomber eh,,,,,,, ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Feb 2023, 8:03 am

Spent considerable time yesterday transferring photos from my DSLR to Jessica's laptop,sorting through them,then getting them sent to my phone.
Some pretty good snaps in there though
Screenshot_20230212-082502_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230212-082502_Gallery.jpg (365.02 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Screenshot_20230212-082514_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230212-082514_Gallery.jpg (297.94 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Screenshot_20230212-082531_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230212-082531_Gallery.jpg (415.44 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Screenshot_20230212-082543_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230212-082543_Gallery.jpg (243.15 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Screenshot_20230212-082557_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230212-082557_Gallery.jpg (434.94 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Feb 2023, 1:26 pm

A neighbor rang me and said as he was driving past my gateway he saw a large Black Great Dane type dog roaming through one of my front paddocks.
I grabbed the 22/250 and went for a drive,,,,,,, checking in particular the dams because it's quite warm today (43 degrees)
Spent an hour driving around the near vicinity but there was no sign of it.
So now sitting at home in the cool having a coldie. :thumbsup: :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2023, 2:21 pm

I realised last night that my RPR won't be legal in NSW tomorrow, so I took the collapsible M4 stock off one of my Ruger Americans and put on a full-length M16 buffer tube and Boyd lami stock. Didn't need one of those illegal WA benches, just did it in my lap. Went from 875mm to 982mm. Stretches the length of pull and eye relief out by about 100mm (depending on where I have the collapsible set) so I might have to adjust it. Going to confirm a 100m zero now but I may not even get to use it up there, it's just in case.
Attachments
20230215_141253b.jpg
20230215_141253b.jpg (231.6 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
20230215_142400bb.jpg
20230215_142400bb.jpg (248.16 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Feb 2023, 4:20 pm

I took it up to check zero at 100m and it's zeroed around 180m so I'll leave it at that.
The extra long stock is very, very annoying, I can barely reach the bolt handle but it'll do for an informal play, from prone I can run the bolt left-handed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 19 Feb 2023, 4:26 pm

The girls were heading off today to host a dancing workshop so I figured another run up into the hills chasing some hairy things would do me good :sarcasm:

Forecast was for light SE winds, but I knew from past experience that the warm anabatic/thermic draw up the gullies would likely overwhelm the atmospheric winds. The plan as usual was to head up a smaller side gully, cross into the top of a bigger one and descend - hopefully against the wind!

Parking the car I grabbed my gear. Ahh crap, I'd forgotten to switch my bino harness onto my lighter backpack I'd picked for today. Loading up, I headed up through the longish grass. There were spider webs everywhere - and I mean EVERYWHERE. It was impossible to walk in a straight line in any direction without running into one, and my trekking pole was in overdrive knocking them down. I'd just finished reading Errol Masons Hunt Smart book so I was keen to try and put a bit of it into practice with some scouting of areas I knew and see how they linked up.

Crossing the small flat towards the gully, I heard a rustle in the dry brush and the scratching on the side of a large red box. Positive it was a lace monitor, I managed to edge enough around the trunk about 20m away, before I picked up the identifiable claws and dark eye staring at me. As soon as it saw me, it started the 'ring-a-rosy' to keep the tree trunk between me and it, so I left it and kept going.

Heading up along a game trail some 30m or so off the bottom of the gully a fox jumped up 20m or so uphill of me and took off. Unfortunately for me, it headed for the skyline and i wasn't able to stop it so it managed to escape over the ridge. Continuing on uphill, I pushed my way through all the spiderwebs and stepped over some fresh sambar droppings in my quest to reach a gully V that gave me a choice of paths - left into my favourite large gully system or right back towards the car through a smaller and tighter gully. Almost reaching the junction, I spotted some bright orange on the rocky dry creek bottom that screamed FOX. Stopping, I spied a youngster heading towards me slowly. It must have seen or heard me as it stopped and looked at me directly but I was partially covered by a prickly coprosma so I waited motionless until it turned and started to climb out of the bottom. Sitting down, I threw the rifle up and sat my elbows on my knees. Through the scope I could make out the shape of the fox broadside to me about 15m uphill from the gully bottom, but just covered by enough brush to make me hold the shot. If it kept going in the same direction, it would break out behind a stringy and give me time for a quick shot before I swung too far and tangled with the coprosma on my right. Something made it turn and head diagonally downhill towards the creek bottom again. As it broke cover it stopped facing directly towards me in a triangle window between two fallen logs and the stringy. Lining up the cross hairs on the center of it's chest, I squeezed off a shot and watched as the small form tumbled into the gully bottom. Another native and lamb killer down!

IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4605.JPG (493.64 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

Reaching the junction, I took a break and a drink before turning left and heading the long way home. Climbing the steep rocky and slippery face through the dry leaves wasn't easy - particularly with a sharp eye out for wriggle sticks, loose rocks and spider webs. Reaching another split, I climbed the point of the mini daughter ridge then slowly moved into the right hand side. As I neared the middle of the gully head, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and turned in time to see another fox heading across the opposite face, but there was a lot of vegetation between me and it and I quickly lost site of it again. It didn't come to my whistle, so I pushed on and shortly after head a crack in the left hand gully had me cursing my lack of binos but calling it another wallaby/roo. A minute or two later a white shape came into view and a youngish billy contoured across and disappeared into some thick stuff. Slowly stalking in, I was fairly confident that my scent had been carried towards it on the warming winds but in hope that it had just bedded down but I didn't see anything further other than a single fresh print where he'd stepped down off a game track.

Pushing onto the top of the ridge, I joined an illegal motorbike track that follows the top of the ridge all the way up to the road at the top of the main divide. In the soft dirt, there was evidence of ungulate tracks but they weren't clear (and I wasn't good enough) to pick them for species, though one did look kinda piggy. Reaching my cross over point, I stopped for lunch then slowly dropped down the gully, crossing a few smaller ones all the while listening, looking and smelling for the familiar target species. The blackberries have made a huge come on in recent months, this area used to be a slightly damper one with a few blackberries between all the native bush, but this thicket greeted me. Picking up on Errols tip of chucking rocks into big thickets in the hope of flushing something I threw a handful of big rocks but nothing bolted.

IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4609.JPG (534.34 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

Slowly dropping down the gully bottom to the main valley floor had me wondering why I'd stopped bringing my trekking poles - they sure keep the knees in better shape! As I crossed a large patch of bracken a large dark round shape crashed off from my right, and for a heartbeat I thought I'd spooked a sambar but when it stopped I could see a big buck roo staring at me. Turning downhill, I played tag with a passing 4wd on the perimeter road before reaching the farm fence. Following the fence to check for sign in the dust/gravel I reached a corner post and had to make a choice - turn right and follow the fence or left onto the road and the easy way out. I was contemplating the fence, but in the end turned and nearly stepped on a large cast sambar antler.

IMG_4610.JPG
IMG_4610.JPG (537.19 KiB) Viewed 1882 times

Given the amount of time I've spent traipsing through the bush, I find it somewhat dispiriting that this is the second antler I've found (the other was a tiny spike). Reaching the car stuffed but happy I headed home for a cleansing ale.

When my wife and daughter returned home, I showed them the antler which they were both interested in. As my daughter was spinning it on the point while sitting on the couch, it slipped and the full weight of the heavy antler slammed down on my wife's toe culminating with all the force impacting with just the fine point of the brow tine.

Once things had settled down again (it's amazing what people who speak english as another language can say in the heat of things!!!!!) we had a good laugh when I said that her boss wouldn't believe a phone call the next day "Sorry, can't come in because my toe was broken yesterday.....How?...My daughter dropped an antler on it....."

Best hangover excuse ever :drinks: :drinks: :lol: :lol:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Feb 2023, 6:54 pm

:thumbsup: What a great day out.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Feb 2023, 7:03 pm

That was a really good story and pics too, Flyonline :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Feb 2023, 3:43 pm

Got home at 0230 after leaving Lazurus' place at about 1715 yesterday.
I think we spent a solid twelve hours talking :-)
Still going over the trip to shoot with LERAA and catching up on everything that happened while I was away.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 22 Feb 2023, 8:46 pm

Ground paint of besser blocks in confined spaces prior to water proofing. Anyone keen to help me tomorrow?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2023, 1:37 pm

Checked our a new area yesterday. They are there.
May go back for a couple of days when I have time.

Resized_20230221_110524.jpeg
Resized_20230221_110524.jpeg (248.87 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation