What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2022, 6:10 pm

Loaded up 100 xtp 357 , loaded my quad into my trailer , making some new tie down points. Getting Gerry cans and water drums ready for my week outbush . I hate the idea that I have to go to work tomorrow but it’s only 7-10 I’ll get it out of the way then I officially on holidays for nearly two weeks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Nov 2022, 7:12 pm

Now that I am a bit more mobile, I decided to change the bag on the front rest, a Caldwell. This operation has been a blasted nuisance since new because getting the clamping bolts to fit has been like herding chooks :x :(
In desperation, I pulled the entire thing apart to find that those bolts needed to be 1/16th inch longer. They were not long enough to reach the floating nuts that they were supposed to screw into and being American there was no way I had anything suitable. Tomorrow I will make them sit higher by putting some paddle pop wood under them :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2022, 10:05 pm

JimTom wrote:At least here in Australia you need to be in or around water to get eaten. You blokes can keep your bears.

I'd have to say that's not necessarily correct.
In the summer of 1987 We were camped (a long way from water) 200 klms North East of Pooncarie,,,,,,, and I got eaten. But I survived. :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2022, 10:53 pm

How does anyone in North America camping manage to relax and get to sleep where there’s always a chance a big bear will bite your head and crush your skull as you fumble around in the dark looking for the spray ? If a dingo tries that we can just kick it and swear at it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by colin.rac » 17 Nov 2022, 12:11 am

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_20221116-180604_Gallery.jpg

Finally got the energy to shoot my bow a bit.....unfortunately I was on form and made the mistake of aiming at my own nock.....

Suffering from success :lol:
colin.rac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 17 Nov 2022, 12:55 am

JimTom wrote:At least here in Australia you need to be in or around water to get eaten. Not keen on the thought of a bear munching on me when I walk out of camp to have a leak. You blokes can keep your bears.

I've got video of a 500 pounder walking right up to the house a bunch of times at night this past month.

Also caught one in person just over a week ago in my apple trees trying to steal apples.

Bear season starts soon and that will knock down the numbers some. Also they will start looking to hibernate here soon and will hibernate until around the start of April.

For the most part the main issue would be getting in between a momma and the cubs or accidentally bumping into them. Bears know enough to know humans can be dangerous, so my trail cameras might pick them up on the property during the day, especially in summer, but they typically will only get near the house when it's dark. Black bears typically are not aggressive towards humans and try to avoid us, although attacks can happen. Brown bears like out west and Alaska, those will attack humans if given the chance.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 17 Nov 2022, 12:59 am

bigpete wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Looks like you all are enjoying spring weather down there.

I don't know about that! Considering today has been 13⁰ and we've just had some of the worst thunderstorms and heaviest rain most people can remember!

I saw that this morning, an Antarctic blast with snow in the high regions of NSW and VIC. I guess the upside is that the drought is over in Australia.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 17 Nov 2022, 1:04 am

Die Judicii wrote:
I just don't know how you can "bear" living there. :D

It's not too different from high country Victoria or central Tasmania, except we have bears, trees look a little different and it's probably a little more consistently cold and snowy in winter but not by a lot. And we have semi auto rifles.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 17 Nov 2022, 1:18 am

Blr243 wrote:How does anyone in North America camping manage to relax and get to sleep where there’s always a chance a big bear will bite your head and crush your skull as you fumble around in the dark looking for the spray ? If a dingo tries that we can just kick it and swear at it

Yeah they just come up and lick your face while sleeping. :lol: I live in a semi touristy area near a lot of state forest and parks. People camp here all the time, no big issues, but you do not want to leave food out or on your person. If they are really hungry they will break into houses or cars to get the food. I have cookouts at my range building and the bears will come through at night and lick the table and look for any scraps people tossed(got em on my trail cam doing that). They have a strong sense of smell and just want the food. They have six good months to pack on the pounds for hibernation so for the most part do not want to get into it with humans. With hunting season coming this week and the cover having disappeared they will be running around in panic "OMG they are trying to kill me!". They know this time of year humans will get together and do drives to drive them out of cover so they can be shot. You really have to watch driving at night because they blend in with the dark and they are on the run this time of year.

Usually in my county the largest bears taken in hunting season are about 750 pounds.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2022, 3:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:40: 223 & 38: 30'06

FLS
Trimmed
Deburred
Primmed

Finished loading the above.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 17 Nov 2022, 4:09 pm

A rich bear on holiday

1668521633_mn_11.jpg
1668521633_mn_11.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 17 Nov 2022, 6:55 pm

Discovered I'm pissing blood.
Tried to go for a hunt with my son,less than an hour and I'm stuffed
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Nov 2022, 7:00 pm

Thanks wanna roo . Today I finished work early and started packing my Ute for my hunt away in the bush. Bought a couple more batteries for the thermal , more reloading components. Bought some stell for my shed. A little bit of work on the quad bike.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 17 Nov 2022, 7:11 pm

Oh,and I got to handle a mauser 1918 T-gewehr today as well
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 17 Nov 2022, 7:16 pm

Oh,and I got to handle a mauser 1918 T-gewehr today as well
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2022, 8:01 pm

bigpete wrote:Discovered I'm pissing blood.

Off to the doc for you, quick smart.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2022, 8:06 pm

I was mounting a "shooting bench" on a cheap fold up work bench from bunnings. The is a thread here some where. A few blokes did it.
Bench has always had a bit of a wobble on rough ground due to having 4 legs.

Anyway, last week I spotted screw on legs, $7.80 each in bunnings. Grabbed three and fitted them this evening. Definitely an improvement and even more portable.

1100 x 650mm

Resized_20221117_203748.jpeg
Resized_20221117_203748.jpeg (236.72 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2022, 8:29 pm

Bugger, that would suck :-(

We're moving the cows from the middle block down to the bottom block in the morning so I walked the route this arvo with the chainsaw clearing all the foliage overhanging the tracks. Then we got through the bush into the other block and discovered a large tree down on the fence, so we cleared that and restrung the fence wires. Then we took the ute back to get the two 600-litre troughs, set them up and pumped water to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7CF59IRpU4
Then instead of driving home with Rose I thought I'd have a practice "hunt" by walking back home through the bush - I wanted to get GPS coordinates of the corner posts of the boundary fences anyway. A bit on the fly so I didn't bring a sling. I always have some paracord on me though so I fashioned a rudimentary single-point sling for the RPR, topped up my water bottles and went for a wander. About 3000m I think. Saw lots of roos and wallabies, and a neighbour's horse wandered over to say hello.
20221117_183507b.jpg
20221117_183507b.jpg (305.27 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

A hare loped out of the bush heading toward me, and stopped about 4m away trying to work out what I was. I very slowly got my phone out to get some video, looked down to turn the camera on, looked up and he was sneaking off into the bush - hares are more dignified than rabbits :-)

Near the end I stopped to ding some 120mm gongs offhand to see if the exercise had any detrimental effect and it went okay at about 40m and 75m, dropped a few but put most of them where they were supposed to go. Got home buggered but smiling :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Nov 2022, 10:10 pm

Not wanting to be negative big Pete but I know someone no longer with us who started out just Piss ing blood ... so straight to the doctor , no proscrastion.. if u are too busy make time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2022, 11:10 pm

Blr243 wrote:Not wanting to be negative big Pete but I know someone no longer with us who started out just Piss ing blood ... so straight to the doctor , no proscrastion.. if u are too busy make time

Yep,

Go to the DOC.
Do not pass GO.
And do not collect $200.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2022, 5:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:

Off to the doc for you, quick smart.

Nah,all good now.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 18 Nov 2022, 8:04 am

Yesterday I had to pull down my 40 foot tv antenna because the birds chewed on it and I lost the ABC stations.
Mongrel of a job, big, heavy unwieldy bastard.

Today, I have to take the fecker down AGAIN because for some reason, although I have ABC back, I now have no Prime stations.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 18 Nov 2022, 12:00 pm

You know how you are better off not scratching a scab?

I should have left well enough alone, after 3 hrs of fcckery, everything taken apart, checked and reassembled, heavy bastard put back up and stay wires retightened, I now not only still don't have the prime channels, I don't have any 9 network channels either.
Total bumfcckery
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Nov 2022, 12:42 pm

Lazarus wrote:You know how you are better off not scratching a scab?

I should have left well enough alone, after 3 hrs of fcckery, everything taken apart, checked and reassembled, heavy bastard put back up and stay wires retightened, I now not only still don't have the prime channels, I don't have any 9 network channels either.
Total bumfcckery

Your better off reading a book anyway.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Nov 2022, 10:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Total bumfcckery

:lol: :lol: Let me guess,,,,,,, A book on "How to fix your Antenna"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Nov 2022, 7:04 am

wanneroo wrote: I guess the upside is that the drought is over in Australia.

Sure has, there's houses floating away all over the place.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 19 Nov 2022, 9:38 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Total bumfcckery

:lol: :lol: Let me guess,,,,,,, A book on "How to fix your Antenna"

:thumbsup: :clap: :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2022, 12:07 pm

Walked over 3km yesterday to inspect the deer fence where we put in hundreds of seedlings earlier this year, the paddocks are still too boggy to drive any closer.
The grass is very high in there but we couldn't find any surviving seedlings at all :-(
Looks like wombats and wallabies have gone under the fence and discovered a smorgasbord of baby eucs and blackwoods for the taking. Hundreds around the outside of the fence with individual tree guards are mostly intact though so it looks like electric fencing is not a viable solution.

Also spotted a large sambar across the valley heading up to a neighbour's dam, just over 1000m away.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 19 Nov 2022, 4:25 pm

Spent most of the day sleeping.....getting a uti just at the end of recovering from covid has kinda hit me for a 6. Tried to go hunting the other day with my son and got home feverish and completely stuffed. Never before experienced this level of lethargy.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 19 Nov 2022, 6:31 pm

My post COVID lethargy lasted about a week. I noticed at work that I was tired after 6 hours instead of 8. But after that I felt amazing... it’s ( COVID ) different for lots of people Today. Working like a dog , working on finishing building my shed and getting ready for my trip away
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation