What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Flyonline » 27 Nov 2022, 9:53 am

bladeracer wrote:I think you were closer to success when it wasn't working at all personally ;-)

Yep! I didn't have a TV until I moved into a share house at about 20, one of the best things my parents inflicted on me :sarcasm: :lol: Even to this day I'd rather read a book than watch the movie of the same.

Lazarus wrote:I recently read one of Conn Iggledon's Emperor series about Caesar's Gallic wars and now I'm on the hunt for the rest

All of Conn's stuff is good, I particularly enjoyed the Gengis Khan and the War of the Roses series.

Bernard Cornwall is another to look up.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 27 Nov 2022, 10:07 am

Flyonline wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I think you were closer to success when it wasn't working at all personally ;-)

Yep! I didn't have a TV until I moved into a share house at about 20, one of the best things my parents inflicted on me :sarcasm: :lol: Even to this day I'd rather read a book than watch the movie of the same.

Lazarus wrote:I recently read one of Conn Iggledon's Emperor series about Caesar's Gallic wars and now I'm on the hunt for the rest

All of Conn's stuff is good, I particularly enjoyed the Gengis Khan and the War of the Roses series.

Bernard Cornwall is another to look up.

:thumbsup:
Thanks Fly, I'll check him out.

Loss in translation aside, I can recommend Caesar's Gallic Wars, it gives an amazing view into the man to get it in his own words rather that the interpretation of a historian 2000 years after the fact.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Flyonline » 27 Nov 2022, 10:17 am

If you get into Bernard, you've got a whooooole heap of books ahead of you as he's written a lot, both historical "faction" and a few contemporary fiction.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Nov 2022, 1:10 pm

Screenshot_20221127-133854_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221127-133854_Gallery.jpg (455.79 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

Finally got out for a hunt today. Started getting jelly legs halfway but still managed to score a nice young fox with the 17hmr
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 27 Nov 2022, 1:12 pm

bigpete wrote:

Finally got out for a hunt today. Started getting jelly legs halfway but still managed to score a nice young fox with the 17hmr

Nice rifle pete, what breed is it?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 27 Nov 2022, 1:26 pm

Lazarus wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Nice rifle pete, what breed is it?

Cz 452
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 27 Nov 2022, 1:29 pm

Nice bit of wood on it, similar fluting to my Howa varmint. :thumbsup:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Nov 2022, 1:34 pm

Yeh, I was only out till 5.30 to 7am this morning. Bloody freezing wind..
But nice now, just watching some roos at 275 yards. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 27 Nov 2022, 2:32 pm

bigpete wrote:

Nice one. :thumbsup:
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 27 Nov 2022, 2:50 pm

Lazarus wrote:Nice bit of wood on it, similar fluting to my Howa varmint. :thumbsup:

Fluting is custom and I modified the stock
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Nov 2022, 4:22 pm

Practiced some vertical up's and downs with some different rods, speeds and settings.
Lost my weld shelf and spilled the puddle using a hot n messy 16TC rod and ended made some artwork. :lol:
Screenshot_20221127_164339.jpg
Screenshot_20221127_164339.jpg (513.69 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Screenshot_20221127-165100_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20221127-165100_DuckDuckGo.jpg (410.87 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Someone's gotta bang that up on a Facebook boilermaker meme page for me.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 27 Nov 2022, 4:29 pm

Loaded up a few boxes of 300AAC.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 28 Nov 2022, 1:01 pm

JimTom wrote:Loaded up a few boxes of 300AAC.

What load did you do?

I'll be starting my next 300 BO Youtube project soon, 125g Speer TNT bullets but haven't decided what powder to use yet.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Nov 2022, 5:15 pm

OOW >>>>>>>>>
There's nothing wrong with the old 16TC's Mate,,,,,,,, a good reliable and quality little old rod. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Nov 2022, 5:32 pm

Quite some time ago I started out trying to remove the auto gas tank out of the boot compartment of my S Series Valiant.
I needed to be able to vent the tank safely,, but had several other projects blocking the way of getting said vehicle out of the shed to do so.
Finally got around to getting it out of the shed (4 days ago) and was then confronted with 3 days of dead calm weather.
Not even an angel fart air movement. Not a single leaf could I see fluttering anywhere.
Eventually at the close of the 3 days a nice breeze picked up and was blowing downhill and away from the sheds and house.
Just as well too,,,,,, cos when I slackened of the gland nut and it started flowing just at the right amount so it didn't freeze up all the time,, it took the entire day to empty the tank and associated pipes.
At least that job is now over and done with.
:thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Nov 2022, 6:32 pm

Die Judicii wrote:OOW >>>>>>>>>
There's nothing wrong with the old 16TC's Mate,,,,,,,, a good reliable and quality little old rod. :thumbsup:

They definitely lay an extremely strong weld, the only downside is the finish is rough, some boiler makers lay a gp weld over the top to dress things up.
They can be hard to start thanks to the glassy slag that freezes on the tip but I fell in love with 16tc running bore casing, 60 meters of 8" hanging from two tiny tack welds was pretty impressive. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Nov 2022, 6:41 pm

First we went to a cattle lecture this morning about visually grading steers, pretty interesting but not sure we learned much - lots of BBQ sausages were a treat though :-)

Then we went to get a dozen fertilised chicken eggs to replace the girls that were taken by foxes a couple weeks ago (and there was a fox out front when we got home tonight).

Then since we were on the road anyway we made a long detour past Terramirra Deer Park on the way home, that was cool :-)
https://www.terramirradeer.com.au/
Saw lots of deer - rusa, sika, fallow, sambar, red and hog, plus a bloody elk! Also got hands-on with some day-old baby reds, very cute.

Big day so I made zero headway on heading for the bush tomorrow, but I might still manage it after a really good sleep.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Nov 2022, 7:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:Then we went to get a dozen fertilised chicken eggs to replace the girls that were taken by foxes a couple weeks ago (and there was a fox out front when we got home tonight).

They seem to be pretty bad down there at the moment.
I was talking with people I know this morning that live right on the outskirts of Ararat.
They've lost six chooks and two guinnea fowl to foxes in the last week.
They've put trail cameras up and have identified 3 separate foxes that come in each night.
And,,,,,,,, the cheeky buggers even walk in the front gate and then alongside the house on their way into the back yard.
One of the three was seen before dark the other day and only trotted about 30 meters at a time before stopping and looking backwards several times.
It obviously knows there is no firearm coming into play.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm

Spat the chewie at my boss today when he told me they'd picked up another 100ha of spraying on top of the 165ha we can barely get through on time. Idiots.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 28 Nov 2022, 9:17 pm

You sound like a man who's really happy in his work pete. :sarcasm:
Maybe it's time for a change.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 29 Nov 2022, 12:57 am

Yeah,I tried to get put of vineyards after 26 years earlier this year,but the money drew me back. I realised about a month and a half ago that I cannot keep doing the job,partly because I hate vineyards and partly because they just keep loading up the work and won't listen,and I've even told them I plan to quit and why.......but clearly that went in one ear and out the other. Pity,because on the whole they're incredibly nice people and great employers but they're money hungry
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 29 Nov 2022, 9:45 am

bigpete wrote:Yeah,I tried to get put of vineyards after 26 years earlier this year,but the money drew me back. I realised about a month and a half ago that I cannot keep doing the job,partly because I hate vineyards and partly because they just keep loading up the work and won't listen,and I've even told them I plan to quit and why.......but clearly that went in one ear and out the other. Pity,because on the whole they're incredibly nice people and great employers but they're money hungry

Those bloody dollars, can't live without them.

I know a couple of people in jobs they hate but the money and their financial commitments have them wedged.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Nov 2022, 12:18 pm

bigpete wrote:Yeah,I tried to get put of vineyards after 26 years earlier this year, but the money drew me back. I realised about a month and a half ago that I cannot keep doing the job,partly because I hate vineyards and partly because they just keep loading up the work and won't listen, and I've even told them I plan to quit and why.......but clearly that went in one ear and out the other. Pity because on the whole they're incredibly nice people and great employers but they're money hungry

Is it greed or are they just trying to cover huge debt?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 29 Nov 2022, 12:25 pm

wanneroo wrote:

What load did you do?

I'll be starting my next 300 BO Youtube project soon, 125g Speer TNT bullets but haven't decided what powder to use yet.

Mate I loaded up the last of my Win296 powder with some 130 Speer HP. Guessing they are travelling somewhere close to 2000fps. I have used these projectiles in my 308 on pigs however they expand too easily at higher velocities so not suitable for pigs until they have slowed down and seem to penetrate a bit more. I figure they should go ok out of the 300 BLK.
My normal load is AR2205 with 125gn SST, which is a good combo for closer range pigs. Out of projectiles though so using up what I have on hand.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 29 Nov 2022, 1:04 pm

JimTom wrote:
wanneroo wrote:

What load did you do?

Mate I loaded up the last of my Win296 powder with some 130 Speer HP. Guessing they are travelling somewhere close to 2000fps. I have used these projectiles in my 308 on pigs however they expand too easily at higher velocities so not suitable for pigs until they have slowed down and seem to penetrate a bit more. I figure they should go ok out of the 300 BLK.
My normal load is AR2205 with 125gn SST, which is a good combo for closer range pigs. Out of projectiles though so using up what I have on hand.

Sounds good. So I guess you are happy with Win 296 for 125g-130g bullets for 300 Blackout?

I have some Speer 130HPs I picked up on sale a few years ago, so I will try them at some point.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JimTom » 29 Nov 2022, 2:01 pm

Yeah mate the Win296 goes well enough, although I do actually prefer AR2205 for my loading. Starting to run low on 2205 with none on the market at present, so just using up the last of my 296 which is also not available anymore here in Australia. I have been trying some AR2207 with 178 and 180 gn projectiles which seems to be sufficiently accurate. Yet to try them on the pigs yet.
Mate I will be sure to check out you next YouTube vid.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 29 Nov 2022, 3:46 pm

Broke the key in the lock of one of my safes.

20221129_133316.jpg
20221129_133316.jpg (246.3 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

After much fiddly experimentation, swearing and throwing stuff, I unwound a piece of high tensile barbed wire and bent it just so, I was then able, with more fiddly embuggerance to hook out the broken piece from the lock.
By this stage the only thing I wanted to shoot was the clown who decided pot metal was key making material.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 29 Nov 2022, 4:28 pm

bought myself a early xmas present today . early model rem 700 in 222 :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 29 Nov 2022, 7:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:Yeah,I tried to get put of vineyards after 26 years earlier this year, but the money drew me back. I realised about a month and a half ago that I cannot keep doing the job,partly because I hate vineyards and partly because they just keep loading up the work and won't listen, and I've even told them I plan to quit and why.......but clearly that went in one ear and out the other. Pity because on the whole they're incredibly nice people and great employers but they're money hungry

Is it greed or are they just trying to cover huge debt?

Considering one of them has an " i love money " sticker on her phone....I'd suggest greed has no small part to play
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Nov 2022, 8:27 pm

bigpete wrote:Considering one of them has an " i love money " sticker on her phone....I'd suggest greed has no small part to play

Yeah, that sounds like a red flag alright :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation