What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Flyonline » 04 Oct 2022, 6:47 pm

Went through the pics from game camera pulled the other day and found this 3 legged fallow buck. Wonder what his story is, looked fairly mobile in the short videos but could be in better condition.

DSCF0121.JPG
DSCF0121.JPG (167.55 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Oct 2022, 7:09 pm

Don't worry kids ... it'll grow back
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 04 Oct 2022, 7:52 pm

Looked at LRD website which hasn't been updated since 12th September and is telling me they were processing July applications in September. Dang
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2022, 6:22 pm

We went out and did actually chase some sheep around, but with the forecast weather he doesn't want to start shearing. So we dug out more trees and moved them a hundred metres along the hill. Came home buggered.

Today I welded up a shovel we broke yesterday then made some more target frames.
Including a new idea to hang gongs using the same A-frames I use for the target boards.
I think I've found a spot I can shoot out to around 650m so I need some new targets.
Attachments
20221005_185047b.jpg
20221005_185047b.jpg (342.14 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
20221005_185058b.jpg
20221005_185058b.jpg (347.48 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Oct 2022, 10:57 am

Picked up my new Italian made hunting boots from the post office.
Just like big, warm slippers, straight out of the box.

Grisport Gamekeeper .jpg
Grisport Gamekeeper .jpg (450.73 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2022, 12:29 pm

Lazarus wrote:Picked up my new Italian made hunting boots from the post office.

Grisport Gamekeeper .jpg

Looks like a good boot.
I'm looking at new boots to try just now, almost settled on the Garmont T8 Extreme GTX but now I'll have to investigate this one :-)
Last edited by bladeracer on 06 Oct 2022, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Oct 2022, 1:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Picked up my new Italian made hunting boots from the post office.

Grisport Gamekeeper .jpg

Looks like a good boot.
I'm looking at new boots to try just now, almost settled on the Garmont TB Extreme GTX but now I'll have to investigate this one :-)

They are truly astounding and I'm a hand made boot fan.
Most boots I've got, even some custom fitted Hoffmans take a couple of uncomfortable weeks to get them right, but these feel like I've been wearing them for years.

A couple of reviews if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/P_LjsDxNgtY

https://youtu.be/Kwq2eceI8WU
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 06 Oct 2022, 3:57 pm

Drove half an hour to Strathalbyn to pick up new parts for the slasher,half an hour back,installed said parts,tried slasher,slasher still f***ed,drove tractor and slasher back to Strathalbyn to get mechanic to fix it properly.
Really beginning to wonder why I thought it was a good idea to get back into vineyards.....( I'm earning 50% more than I was at the butchers is my reasoning )
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 06 Oct 2022, 7:09 pm

Pete

Must be a vineyard thing, the vineyard guys have busted up one of ours just before mowing kicks off seriously, and the mechanic had just gone on holidays. Good thing I’m on the other side of the fence!
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Oct 2022, 10:01 am

bigpete wrote:Drove half an hour to Strathalbyn to pick up new parts for the slasher,half an hour back,installed said parts,tried slasher,slasher still f***ed,drove tractor and slasher back to Strathalbyn to get mechanic to fix it properly.
Really beginning to wonder why I thought it was a good idea to get back into vineyards.....( I'm earning 50% more than I was at the butchers is my reasoning )

That would screw up your day alright!
Our tractor only makes a little over 20kph on the road :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2022, 10:15 am

bigpete wrote:Drove half an hour to Strathalbyn to pick up new parts for the slasher,half an hour back,installed said parts,tried slasher,slasher still f***ed,drove tractor and slasher back to Strathalbyn to get mechanic to fix it properly.

I thought butchering was going to be a new career? Apprentice and all that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 07 Oct 2022, 4:23 pm

Woke at 4am, clear skies, got all excited, got dressed and fed and ready for some murdering, aaaand by the time the sun was up it was hosing down.
Again.
Spent the day sulking in the shed :roll:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2022, 4:26 pm

Tested my new 200w solar blanket for van and ute fridge battery. On the new stand I made, 4pm South West Victoria. Got 8.1 amps.

Not unhappy for this time of year.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Oct 2022, 5:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Couldn't survive on apprentice wages,the work was completely destroying my body,and the politics in shop were terrible. And after becoming a fully qualified butcher after 3 years I could look forward to earning a massive $24/hr. Now I'm earning $30/hr with benefits. I'll never do the butcher thing again.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Oct 2022, 10:20 pm

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Couldn't survive on apprentice wages,the work was completely destroying my body,and the politics in shop were terrible. And after becoming a fully qualified butcher after 3 years I could look forward to earning a massive $24/hr. Now I'm earning $30/hr with benefits. I'll never do the butcher thing again.

That's sh1t. Too bad. You must have known the hourly rate before you started?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Oct 2022, 2:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

That's sh1t. Too bad. You must have known the hourly rate before you started?

I didn't know the qualified rate. I was expecting it to be upwards of $30/hr. After 3 months of trying to make ends meet on less than $500/week, and absolutely wrecking my back and knees,I leaped at the opportunity to get out of there.....a bit too fast though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 Oct 2022, 4:05 pm

Screenshot_20221008-163346_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221008-163346_Gallery.jpg (567.14 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
Went for a drive with my missus on my day off,visited an area I hunted a few years ago,saw around 40 odd fallow deer in a few hundred metres.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Oct 2022, 5:01 pm

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_20221008-163346_Gallery.jpg
Went for a drive with my missus on my day off,visited an area I hunted a few years ago,saw around 40 odd fallow deer in a few hundred metres.

Looks like you will be practising your butchering skills.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Oct 2022, 5:07 pm

Don't have permission there any more
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Oct 2022, 7:08 pm

Started preparations for reloading the 30/06 with Speer 165 gn flat base. Have only found the O/L seated against the lands. More tomorrow :D :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 09 Oct 2022, 7:29 am

bigpete wrote:Couldn't survive on apprentice wages,the work was completely destroying my body,and the politics in shop were terrible. And after becoming a fully qualified butcher after 3 years I could look forward to earning a massive $24/hr. Now I'm earning $30/hr with benefits. I'll never do the butcher thing again.

Hey buddy, under $500. I thought you would be over 21. Thus getting like $19.81 bucks an hour minimum. Which is $750/week

I suggest if you were getting under $500/week as a full time apprentice over 21 years age to contact fairwork Australia to confirm your entitlements and options, as you might have been under paid.

If you are under 21 (saw your picture of the fish), dang you need to get out of the sun... maybe put some ageless serum like revitalift
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2022, 9:47 am

cz515 wrote:
bigpete wrote:Couldn't survive on apprentice wages,the work was completely destroying my body,and the politics in shop were terrible. And after becoming a fully qualified butcher after 3 years I could look forward to earning a massive $24/hr. Now I'm earning $30/hr with benefits. I'll never do the butcher thing again.

Hey buddy, under $500. I thought you would be over 21. Thus getting like $19.81 bucks an hour minimum. Which is $750/week

I suggest if you were getting under $500/week as a full time apprentice over 21 years age to contact fairwork Australia to confirm your entitlements and options, as you might have been under paid.

If you are under 21 (saw your picture of the fish), dang you need to get out of the sun... maybe put some ageless serum like revitalift

:lol: :lol:

I agree, if full time probably ripped off. I have a feeling he was part time tho.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Oct 2022, 9:55 am

I was only put on for 25 hours a week at 20 bucks an hour,less tax
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 10 Oct 2022, 7:55 am

Ahh ok. That makes sense
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 10 Oct 2022, 12:24 pm

We are headed into fall here with temps dropping. This year the foliage is quite amazing, dark reds, brilliant reds, oranges, yellows, beautiful.

I shot a bunch of machine guns this weekend for my birthday weekend. Full 100 round belt through an M-60, H&K MP5 SD, 7 inch barrel AR-15, short barrel AK in 5.56 and also one in 7.62x39, H&K G3, 1943 Thompson, full size Uzi, fully suppressed AR 15 with a suppressor that fully enclosed the barrel, Steyr AUG, H&K G36K.

I will gradually edit the footage and get it on the channel.

Lots of fun shooting various guns you ordinarily might not shoot. The MP5 SD was very quiet and controllable and lived up to it's rep. The 7 inch AR was insane, you had to wear a glove on your left hand due to the fireball. When I fired all I could see was fire. The old Thompson, always fun to shoot. The Steyr AUG, very nice but all the action is going on very close to your face which I don't like. And then the M-60, yes just as fun as the action movies.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lazarus » 10 Oct 2022, 3:39 pm

Happy birthday Wanneroo.

You lucky bugger, what a present, I'm glowing bright green right now.
:drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 10 Oct 2022, 3:46 pm

I've put my little battle axe on the back burner, pun intended, until I can get a proper anvil and a couple of bigger, cross peen hammers.

In the mean time I normalised, hardened, and cleaned up my new kitchen knife.

It's now sleeping in the oven, hopefully getting the temper right.

20221010_161337_50.jpg
20221010_161337_50.jpg (372.4 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 Oct 2022, 7:33 pm

After a month of me trying to get something constructive done about my painful big toe, the podiatrist removed part of the nail today in a Partial Nail Avulsion, procedure. My creaking memory cells remind me that I have mentioned this technique elsewhere on this forum. All this time he has argued that there was nothing wrong with my nail. Last week, my Dr. told me otherwise after taking one look at it. Armed with this reaffirming knowledge, I went back to Mr. Pod., who was still reluctant in view of his 30 years of experience, to perform what he called an, "Unnecessary operation". However, he did ask me what I wanted to do. Well, I wanted to get rid of the damn thing, didn't I!? Not that I said so in so Many words. One has to be Diplomatic with these sensitive bloody people, don't you know?
To cut a long story short, after the piece of nail was removed he told me that it was likely that it would have caused the kind of pain I was having and that my self-diagnosis was more than likely correct.

V I N D I C A T I O N
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 11 Oct 2022, 12:06 am

Lazarus wrote:Happy birthday Wanneroo.

You lucky bugger, what a present, I'm glowing bright green right now.
:drinks:

Thank you, it's become somewhat of a tradition to shoot machine guns for my birthday for the past 8 years. It makes for an enjoyable birthday weekend.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 11 Oct 2022, 9:07 am

Today I'm sitting at home doing sweet fa because the slasher i took in last week has a broken drive shaft from hitting a rock in a s**ty little organic vineyard whose owner reckons there's no rocks in it and being that the slasher is 21 years old the chance of getting parts are slim to none. Oh,and of course,I'm meant to be out slashing with it today as I've a 25 ha vineyard to be done by Thursday.....
Screenshot_20221011-093410_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221011-093410_Gallery.jpg (464.71 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation