What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by deye243 » 28 Apr 2023, 6:07 pm

Lazarus wrote:
deye243 wrote:Bought 10 000 small pistol primers to go with the powder I bought a couple of weeks ago also have 1000 9 mm cases on their way to things are looking up 8-)

Didn't your mother tell you it's rude to brag in front of the impoverished Deye :lol:

Probably but I don't remember . :lol:
there is plenty of stuff out there people just have to get off their ass and travel to go get it :thumbsup: at our local pistol club the only ones whinging about not being able to shoot are the ones that won't drive any further than 50 ks to get something or wont shell out the readies only got themselves to blame even at $200 plus a pound a powder average load of 4 grains it still goes along way.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Apr 2023, 8:48 pm

deye243 wrote:there is plenty of stuff out there people just have to get off their ass and travel to go get it :thumbsup: at our local pistol club the only ones whinging about not being able to shoot are the ones that won't drive any further than 50 ks to get something or wont shell out the readies only got themselves to blame even at $200 plus a pound a powder average load of 4 grains it still goes along way.

Somebody posted 1000 LR primers online for $900 last week, which is ridiculous. But chatting with a mate about it I figured if I couldn't get primers at all, and I couldn't find factory ammo either, and I really enjoyed shooting competitions, like the LERAA .303 shoots, would I be happy to spend that sort of money? I decided I probably would. The price for the primers is obscene, no question about that, but that $900 would actually be buying me the ability to go and enjoy those shoots, perhaps a dozen of them, and that would indeed be worth it, in my opinion. And for all I know, my money might be a big help to somebody trying to dig themselves out of financial difficulty by selling some primers for as much as they think they can get, even at the risk of never being able to replace them again, who knows what the background story is.

I heard a story about a guy that gave 1000 primers to a competition shooter to help him out. The guy has spent thousands on the rifle and the scope to play the game but when it came to primers he expected to pay what they cost the guy when he bought them before they became a problem. The guy didn't want payment, he just asked him to replace them when they become available again - sometimes it's not worth trying help people :-)

Got kids and grandkids here again so just trying to stay sane. Had to run a calf into the vet yesterday so I sat in the back to keep her calm :-)
Attachments
20230427_090046_1.jpg
20230427_090046_1.jpg (164.09 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 28 Apr 2023, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 28 Apr 2023, 9:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:there is plenty of stuff out there people just have to get off their ass and travel to go get it :thumbsup: at our local pistol club the only ones whinging about not being able to shoot are the ones that won't drive any further than 50 ks to get something or wont shell out the readies only got themselves to blame even at $200 plus a pound a powder average load of 4 grains it still goes along way.

Somebody posted 1000 LR primers online for $900 last week, which is ridiculous. But chatting with a mate about it I figured if I couldn't get primers at all, and I couldn't find factory ammo either, and I really enjoyed shooting competitions, like the LERAA .303 shoots, would I be happy to spend that sort of money? I decided I probably would. The price for the primers is obscene, no question about that, but that $900 would actually be buying me the ability to go and enjoy those shoots, perhaps a dozen of them, and that would indeed be worth it, in my opinion. And for all I know, my money might be a big help to somebody trying to dig themselves out of financial difficulty by selling some primers for as much as they think they can get, even at the risk of never being able to replace them again, who knows what the background story is.

I heard a story about a guy that gave 1000 primers to a competition shooter to help him out. The guy has spent thousands on the rifle and the scope to play the game but when it came to primers he expected to pay what they cost the guy when he bought them before they became a problem. They guy didn't want payment, he just asked him to replace them when they become available again - sometimes it's not worth trying help people :-)

Got kids and grandkids here again so just trying to stay sane. Had to run a calf into the vet yesterday so I sat in the back to keep her calm :-)

That's it that's the way I see it I either have to pay the price or I sit at home and whinge about it .
And yes my mate was telling me the other day bloody near impossible to get a vet to come out to a farm up here in East Gippsland what has this country come to .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 28 Apr 2023, 11:49 pm

deye243 wrote:Bought 10 000 small pistol primers to go with the powder I bought a couple of weeks ago also have 1000 9 mm cases on their way to things are looking up 8-)

That is a good haul to flex on the forum here :lol:

The good thing when you have a good stock is it affords time to be patient for when good deals do come about.

I don't think primer prices are going to come down until supply meets demand.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 29 Apr 2023, 12:14 am

wanneroo wrote:

That is a good haul to flex on the forum here :lol:

The good thing when you have a good stock is it affords time to be patient for when good deals do come about.

I don't think primer prices are going to come down until supply meets demand.

I believe as you do about price but at the moment in this country you don't pounce on what you can you could end up not shooting for more than 2 years
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 30 Apr 2023, 3:25 pm

Inherited 9 firearms with the passing of my uncle who had a brief battle with bowel cancer. Get your checks!!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2023, 4:14 pm

Celebrated my sons 12th birthday.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 30 Apr 2023, 5:48 pm

Spent the last week or so reviving my sleeping sourdough culture so I made up a loaf of bread yesterday (gone already!) and another today with a round of English muffins from the discard. The muffins are on high rotation here when the sourdough's going, they're super tasty, freeze well and are easy to make and are as good as anything you can buy.

It was cold, blowy and rainy today so I tied up a few big brown and black buggers in anticipation of some big pre-spawning browns starting to move soon. Then I convinced my 8yo that it would be a good idea to go for a bit of a road scout and leave mum at home (sick) so we did a bit of a tour, glassing for goats, checking road side for fresh deer and pig sign (some new pig sign). We then walked in a couple of hundred meters to pick up the set of goat horns I left hanging on a tree last time I was in there. She was fascinated by them, but wasn't too excited by the billy smell still hanging around - she wanted to take them for show and tell, but I suggested that the teacher/school/mum wouldn't be too pleased with a stinky billy school bag and classroom. She then thought she could take a photo of them at least, so win-win I reckon, rather than some other crappy plastic toy they all seem to want to take. I've got a little sambar spike somewhere she can take as well to make it a bit more hands on, so hopefully she can do a bit of a biology talk at the same time.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 30 Apr 2023, 6:11 pm

Sounds like a great day Flyonline! Pretty jealous of a 12 year olds birthday party bigpete, life was simple back then!
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 30 Apr 2023, 7:23 pm

Spent the day on the airseder sowing wheat, after I sacked my tractor driver last week. Not very exciting, but another week and a bit and I’ll be done. Be able to get out and enjoy my weekends and have a shoot again.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 01 May 2023, 9:54 am

ClaytonT88 wrote:Sounds like a great day Flyonline! Pretty jealous of a 12 year olds birthday party bigpete, life was simple back then!

He won't appreciate it till he's old like me lol.
Mind you,life for me as a 12 year old was simpler and more enjoyable than life for him I feel. Things just ain't the same these days
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 01 May 2023, 10:12 am

Very dark and cool here with plenty of rain. It was a wild month of weather, in one week, temps near freezing during the day and then nearly 25C a few days later. We might even get some snow flakes the next few days of rain here. But the weekend is looking good, around 15C and sunny, maybe have a fire in the fire pit at the range. So this week I'll work on finishing up winter projects and get oriented towards spring and summer projects.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Flyonline » 04 May 2023, 8:26 pm

Finally caught up with my nemesis today, namely those pesky pigs

I'm lucky enough to have an awesome boss who is very understanding and doesn't ask questions and when I checked the weather and saw it was going to be perfect hunting weather today - cold and sunny with light winds after a freezing night and rain: Mental Health Day here we come :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My original plan had been to get up early pre-dawn and hit the bottom of the slopes and hike up quickly looking for goats sunning themselves in the sunny spots, but a really sh!tty sleep left me tired and stuffed before I took off so I reset the alarm and got up a couple of hours later. After seeing the good half and the daughter off for the day, I packed the car and headed for plan B - hit the top of the same ridgeline above the goats, re-checking the fresh pig sign I'd seen last week. The thought was to do a big loop around contouring/dropping down as necessary to cover some good ground and into some new areas and areas I'd not been into for a while.

Driving in I spotted a very wet, cold and bedraggled fox sunning itself on the side of the road. It was so intent on warming up/drying that it didn't even move when I passed 5m away on the road.

The first area of attack was a nice grassy open gully which was receiving the warming early morning sun which required a bit of a walk along the road. Almost immediately I crossed some very fresh pig tracks in the road, they'd been using it as a road and had walked a ways along it. Dropping into the top of my intended gully I spied a small mob of kangaroos ruminating in the warmth, I hoped I was into the right areas as it was cold enough still for any animal to be out feeding or getting warm in the sun. Slowly dropping down the shaded side with glasses in hand, I glassed often and everywhere looking for dark shapes of sambar or pigs.

IMG_4771.JPG
IMG_4771.JPG (341.23 KiB) Viewed 9085 times

Neither showed up as I meandered my way down to the end of the point I was on. Reaching the end of the finger ridge I stopped and considered. I knew there was a nice open area along the creek well below me, but I didn't think I was up to it - dropping 200 vertical meters over 500m sounds easy on paper, less so on foot..... So I turned and paralleled the main ridge and road, crossing through some thick dark wattle with many beds and some deer sign. A couple more areas to target in the summer, but right now still too cold. Reaching the next gully dropping from the main ridge, I turned and made my way slowly up on the sunny side. It was too thick to move super quietly and I couldn't glass more than my nose in front of me, so rather than wasting time I picked up the pace and sure enough, bumped a pair of deer. I didn't get to see them, but heard them crash off down the steep face below. Bugger but still not unexpected. Reaching the road, I crossed over and made my way back to the car looking for both more pig sign and listening/smelling/looking for goats below me in the gentle updraft. Nada, nothing, zilcho.

Reaching the car I looked at the clock and considered my options.
1. Hit the bottom and hike up trying to find goats
2. Move along the ridge and drop in somewhere else
3. Hit a small creek line that I knew held sambar wallows in the past with the thought of putting up a trailcam
4. Go home, drop the rifle off and go fishing
5. Some combination of 1-4

Not really sure what I was going to do, I slowly started making my way back in the car to try either 2 or 3 when I saw a pair of dark shapes bolt off the edge of the road and into the brush - Pigs!
Pulling of into a side road, I quickly grabbed the rifle and my bag and hit a side-side road that dropped off the ridge and ran parallel to the likely direction of travel for the pigs. There was a heap of fresh digging on the side of the road as I parked, obviously more than the work of the two pigs I'd seen.

IMG_4773.JPG
IMG_4773.JPG (543.67 KiB) Viewed 9085 times

I was pushing along working out which way the wind was going and trying to come up with a game plan when below me on the road itself a pair of pigs materialised. Dropping down behind a convenient dogwood bush, I had a clear shot but unfortunately across the road. Watching them slowly push on up towards me, I waited to see what they'd do and then would react accordingly. When they got into about 25m, the lead pig wandered off the road into the scrub on my side with a large brittle gum behind it. With a safe backdrop and a line of fire away from the track I rose slowly, centered the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger. At the shot, they both bolted but I didn't get a clear line of fire for a follow up shot, though the pig I'd shot looked very unhealthy.

After only a few seconds the crashing stopped and I slowly eased off following the blood trail, chambering a round just in case. I could occasionally hear some scuffling in the brush below me, but it took me a minute or two to find them again through the thick saplings. One pig was down on the ground, legs kicking occasionally and the other was standing there nearby. Unfortunately I didn't have a clear shot on the downed pig for a follow up shot, and after 30sec or so, the wind must have swirled as the standing pig took off downhill into the really thick scrub. Taking a couple of quick steps, I found a clear shooting lane and threw the rifle up but just as I flicked the safety off, a random kick must have connected and the pig started to roll down the hill like a barrel coming to a stop against a couple of fallen logs. Although on it's last breaths, I drew a bead and took another shot when it twitched once and lay still.

Finally!

I made my way down to it and pulled it up the right way for a few photos, dodging the dozens of lice on it's belly and inside of the legs. I contemplated taking some of the meat, but I wasn't completely sure that it wasn't covered in ticks rather than lice, though it did look nice and fat and healthy.

IMG_4775.JPG
IMG_4775.JPG (598.59 KiB) Viewed 9085 times

Howa 1500 in 30-06 and 150gr Core-lokt

Returning to the original hunt (I'm not convinced these pigs were the two I'd seen - it looked too far for them to move that quickly) I headed down the gully but the winds were fickle and shortly after I came across evidence that a a pair of sambar had seen, heard or smelt me. Bugger again :unknown: The gully bottom had the most sambar sign I'd seen for a while including some large stag prints and droppings. Slowly I made my way and looped around back towards the car without seeing anything exciting. Crossing into the cleared edge of the road, I nearly stepped on what looked like a dead snake. Flicking a little stick towards it, the agro tiger reared up and flared out like a cobra - sure as hell weren't expecting that on a cold albeit sunny day in may!

Returning to the car stuffed but happy I made my way home to go pick up my daughter. Glad I've finally got that monkey off my back, though looking at todays sign etc. I'm sure I've been closer than I think before.
Last edited by Flyonline on 05 May 2023, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 04 May 2023, 8:59 pm

good way to spend the mental health day!
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2023, 9:52 pm

Grouse day. :thumbsup: Good write up. :clap:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2023, 8:43 am

Flyonline wrote:Finally caught up with my nemesis today, namely those pesky pigs

I'm lucky enough to have an awesome boss who is very understanding and doesn't ask questions and when I checked the weather and saw it was going to be perfect hunting weather today - cold and sunny with light winds after a freezing night and rain: Mental Health Day here we come :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My original plan had been to get up early pre-dawn and hit the bottom of the slopes and hike up quickly looking for goats sunning themselves in the sunny spots, but a really sh!tty sleep left me tired and stuffed before I took off so I reset the alarm and got up a couple of hours later. After seeing the good half and the daughter off for the day, I packed the car and headed for plan B - hit the top of the same ridgeline above the goats, re-checking the fresh pig sign I'd seen last week. The thought was to do a big loop around contouring/dropping down as necessary to cover some good ground and into some new areas and areas I'd not been into for a while.

Driving in I spotted a very wet, cold and bedraggled fox sunning itself on the side of the road. It was so intent on warming up/drying that it didn't even move when I passed 5m away on the road.

The first area of attack was a nice grassy open gully which was receiving the warming early morning sun which required a bit of a walk along the road. Almost immediately I crossed some very fresh tracks in the road, they'd been using it as a road and had walked a ways along it. Dropping into the top of my intended gully I spied a small mob of kangaroos ruminating in the warmth, I hoped I was into the right areas as it was cold enough still for any animal to be out feeding or getting warm in the sun. Slowly dropping down the shaded side with glasses in hand, I glassed often and everywhere looking for dark shapes of sambar or pigs.

IMG_4771.JPG

Neither showed up as I meandered my way down to the end of the point I was on. Reaching the end of the finger ridge I stopped and considered. I knew there was a nice open area along the creek well below me, but I didn't think I was up to it - dropping 200 vertical meters over 500m sounds easy on paper, less so on foot..... So I turned and paralleled the main ridge and road, crossing through some thick dark wattle with many beds and some deer sign. A couple more areas to target in the summer, but right now still too cold. Reaching the next gully dropping from the main ridge, I turned and made my way slowly up on the sunny side. It was too thick to move super quietly and I couldn't glass more than my nose in front of me, so rather than wasting time I picked up the pace and sure enough, bumped a pair of deer. I didn't get to see them, but heard them crash off down the steep face below. Bugger but still not unexpected. Reaching the road, I crossed over and made my way back to the car looking for both more pig sign and listening/smelling/looking for goats below me in the gentle updraft. Nada, nothing, zilcho.

Reaching the car I looked at the clock and considered my options.
1. Hit the bottom and hike up trying to find goats
2. Move along the ridge and drop in somewhere else
3. Hit a small creek line that I knew held sambar wallows in the past with the thought of putting up a trailcam
4. Go home, drop the rifle off and go fishing
5. Some combination of 1-4

Not really sure what I was going to do, I slowly started making my way back in the car to try either 2 or 3 when I saw a pair of dark shapes bolt off the edge of the road and into the brush - Pigs!
Pulling of into a side road, I quickly grabbed the rifle and my bag and hit a side-side road that dropped off the ridge and ran parallel to the likely direction of travel for the pigs. There was a heap of fresh digging on the side of the road as I parked, obviously more than the work of the two pigs I'd seen.

IMG_4773.JPG

I was pushing along working out which way the wind was going and trying to come up with a game plan when below me on the road itself a pair of pigs materialised. Dropping down behind a convenient dogwood bush, I had a clear shot but unfortunately across the road. Watching them slowly push on up towards me, I waited to see what they'd do and then would react accordingly. When they got into about 25m, the lead pig wandered off the road into the scrub on my side with a large brittle gum behind it. With a safe backdrop and a line of fire away from the track I rose slowly, centered the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger. At the shot, they both bolted but I didn't get a clear line of fire for a follow up shot, though the pig I'd shot looked very unhealthy.

After only a few seconds the crashing stopped and I slowly eased off following the blood trail, chambering a round just in case. I could occasionally hear some scuffling in the brush below me, but it took me a minute or two to find them again through the thick saplings. One pig was down on the ground, legs kicking occasionally and the other was standing there nearby. Unfortunately I didn't have a clear shot on the downed pig for a follow up shot, and after 30sec or so, the wind must have swirled as the standing pig took off downhill into the really thick scrub. Taking a couple of quick steps, I found a clear shooting lane and threw the rifle up but just as I flicked the safety off, a random kick must have connected and the pig started to roll down the hill like a barrel coming to a stop against a couple of fallen logs. Although on it's last breaths, I drew a bead and took another shot when it twitched once and lay still.

Finally!

I made my way down to it and pulled it up the right way for a few photos, dodging the dozens of lice on it's belly and inside of the legs. I contemplated taking some of the meat, but I wasn't completely sure that it wasn't covered in ticks rather than lice, though it did look nice and fat and healthy.

IMG_4775.JPG

Howa 1500 in 30-06 and 150gr Core-lokt

Returning to the original hunt (I'm not convinced these pigs were the two I'd seen - it looked too far for them to move that quickly) I headed down the gully but the winds were fickle and shortly after I came across evidence that a a pair of sambar had seen, heard or smelt me. Bugger again :unknown: The gully bottom had the most sambar sign I'd seen for a while including some large stag prints and droppings. Slowly I made my way and looped around back towards the car without seeing anything exciting. Crossing into the cleared edge of the road, I nearly stepped on what looked like a dead snake. Flicking a little stick towards it, the agro tiger reared up and flared out like a cobra - sure as hell weren't expecting that on a cold albeit sunny day in may!

Returning to the car stuffed but happy I made my way home to go pick up my daughter. Glad I've finally got that monkey off my back, though looking at todays sign etc. I'm sure I've been closer than I think before.

Love reading your write ups. Its good to know other people are only human too and do such things as sleep in because they feel like crap and choose the easy path rather than be super hero hunters :)
That pig looks like it would be good eating,but I'm guessing you didn't eat it ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 May 2023, 9:11 am

Thank you for going to the trouble of doing that write-up, Flyonline. Reading it did my mental health a bit of good too :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2023, 11:37 am

Screenshot_20230505-105929_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230505-105929_Facebook.jpg (539.69 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
Screenshot_20230505-105940_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230505-105940_Facebook.jpg (552.68 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
Screenshot_20230505-110001_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230505-110001_Facebook.jpg (241.22 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
Screenshot_20230505-110022_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230505-110022_Gallery.jpg (440.23 KiB) Viewed 9016 times

So yesterday,after working out in the windy 13⁰ temperatures with a chest cold for 6 hours,I foraged a heap of saffron milk cap mushrooms for tea,and a heap of rosehips off 3 different types of roses that grow wild here for rosehip tea to try and help get rid of this cold. I made about 4 litres of tea,then added honey and ginger,mainly for taste but also for medicinal effect.
The results are delicious!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 05 May 2023, 5:34 pm

Thanks gents appreciate it, as I say I'm always happy to get material :lol: :lol:

bigpete wrote:
Love reading your write ups. Its good to know other people are only human too and do such things as sleep in because they feel like crap and choose the easy path rather than be super hero hunters :)
That pig looks like it would be good eating,but I'm guessing you didn't eat it ?

I've suffered from chronic insomnia for ever so it takes a bit to make me get put out from lack of sleep but I've just finished a busy harvest and have been completely knackered lately and trying to catch up a bit. I don't do social media cos I don't want to get bombarded with how good everyone is and that most of them conveniently forget to tell you about the s**ty rainy day they got bogged and a flat and saw nothing :unknown:

Didn't take any meat though as you say probably would have been good eating as it was good nick other than all the lice. I didn't/don't know enough of the difference between lice and ticks so wasn't keen to drag home a bunch of blood suckers. Plus, we're a freezer down so I don't have a lot of space at the moment.....just excuses I know :lol:

Been eying off those saffrons around here also.....

Wm.Traynor wrote:Thank you for going to the trouble of doing that write-up, Flyonline. Reading it did my mental health a bit of good too :D :thumbsup:

Always good to be a bit mental :drinks:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2023, 6:29 pm

Flyonline wrote:Thanks gents appreciate it, as I say I'm always happy to get material :lol: :lol:

bigpete wrote:

I've suffered from chronic insomnia for ever so it takes a bit to make me get put out from lack of sleep but I've just finished a busy harvest and have been completely knackered lately and trying to catch up a bit. I don't do social media cos I don't want to get bombarded with how good everyone is and that most of them conveniently forget to tell you about the s**ty rainy day they got bogged and a flat and saw nothing :unknown:

Didn't take any meat though as you say probably would have been good eating as it was good nick other than all the lice. I didn't/don't know enough of the difference between lice and ticks so wasn't keen to drag home a bunch of blood suckers. Plus, we're a freezer down so I don't have a lot of space at the moment.....just excuses I know :lol:

Been eying off those saffrons around here also.....

Wm.Traynor wrote:Thank you for going to the trouble of doing that write-up, Flyonline. Reading it did my mental health a bit of good too :D :thumbsup:

Always good to be a bit mental :drinks:

I've suffered sleep apnea for years so I hear you there re bad sleep.
Pity about the pig they're great eating but I can also sympathise.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by CRF » 05 May 2023, 7:05 pm

Shootermick wrote:Spent the day on the airseder sowing wheat, after I sacked my tractor driver last week. Not very exciting, but another week and a bit and I’ll be done. Be able to get out and enjoy my weekends and have a shoot again.

What part of the country are you in?
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 May 2023, 7:10 pm

Well! And me makes three about sleep. If it wasn't for the stuff that I take for sciatica, it would take hours for me to get to sleep. :crazy:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 05 May 2023, 7:13 pm

Great story FOL thanks .

So today I had 1000 9 mm cases roll up brand is Winchester just went through quite a few of them none of them have the dreaded Glock bulge so that's one thing I don't have to worry about .
So I have a bit of a stiff neck now I'm halfway through loading and I've only got a single stage press cannot wait to hit the range tomorrow even if it's going to be very chilly .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 May 2023, 12:10 am

deye243 wrote:Great story FOL thanks .

So today I had 1000 9 mm cases roll up brand is Winchester just went through quite a few of them none of them have the dreaded Glock bulge so that's one thing I don't have to worry about .
So I have a bit of a stiff neck now I'm halfway through loading and I've only got a single stage press cannot wait to hit the range tomorrow even if it's going to be very chilly .

I did a "settled science" test on the so called Glock Bulge on my Youtube channel and debunked it as being a major issue or even an issue at all with regular resizing. I shot a 100 different rounds of 9mm of my own reloads and about 7 different manufacturers, shot it through a factory Glock 17 barrel, cleaned the brass and reloaded it all and shot it all again. Had zero failures. Also checked all the ammo in a case gauge before shooting it, nothing failed.

It was more a problem on early Generation .40 cal pistols but unfortunately the internet took it and turned it into something it isn't. Also something to take into account is the quality of the brass manufacture and the wear and tear on brass. On a very rare occasion I may find a piece of brass bulged that cannot be resized and well I just figure it's at the end of it's service life.

I hear you on the sore neck, I used to reload 9mm on a single stage by the thousands.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 06 May 2023, 12:56 am

wanneroo wrote:
deye243 wrote:Great story FOL thanks .

I did a "settled science" test on the so called Glock Bulge on my Youtube channel and debunked it as being a major issue or even an issue at all with regular resizing. I shot a 100 different rounds of 9mm of my own reloads and about 7 different manufacturers, shot it through a factory Glock 17 barrel, cleaned the brass and reloaded it all and shot it all again. Had zero failures. Also checked all the ammo in a case gauge before shooting it, nothing failed.

It was more a problem on early Generation .40 cal pistols but unfortunately the internet took it and turned it into something it isn't. Also something to take into account is the quality of the brass manufacture and the wear and tear on brass. On a very rare occasion I may find a piece of brass bulged that cannot be resized and well I just figure it's at the end of it's service life.

I hear you on the sore neck, I used to reload 9mm on a single stage by the thousands.

Is your channel called short reloading videos ...... anyway it's not something I've experienced myself yet but this pistol I have here has a fairly tight chamber as it supposedly has a match grade barrel we shall see how it feeds tomorrow there were several cases in there that were 391 most of them 387 388 .

Cheers
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 May 2023, 2:37 am

deye243 wrote:
Is your channel called short reloading videos ...... anyway it's not something I've experienced myself yet but this pistol I have here has a fairly tight chamber as it supposedly has a match grade barrel we shall see how it feeds tomorrow there were several cases in there that were 391 most of them 387 388 .

Cheers

Channel name is the same as my user name here. Here is the Glock Bulge video I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHawV3Af5I

It's long at 33 minutes but I chose to be thorough with it all and film everything. My conclusion is that it is not as big a problem as the internet makes it out to be and if it does exist, regular resizing will fix it.

I check all my 9mm ammo in a 9mm Lyman case gauge and usually I find 1 out of 150 rounds fail for one reason or another. By doing this it has meant all my finished ammo has been 100% reliable when I shoot it at the range or in competition.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 07 May 2023, 3:41 pm

Fell off a bloody ladder ladder yesterday :-)
Badly tweaked my right wrist and hand hitting the ground. Don't think anything is broken but very sore today. Bit of a worry for the LERAA shoot in two weeks so I'm trying to rest it for now.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 07 May 2023, 5:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:Fell off a bloody ladder ladder yesterday :-)
Badly tweaked my right wrist and hand hitting the ground. Don't think anything is broken but very sore today. Bit of a worry for the LERAA shoot in two weeks so I'm trying to rest it for now.

Jeez Blade, I thought I was a walking accident, I've broken 23 bones and half my teeth, but it sounds like I might have some competition :lol: :drinks:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2023, 6:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:Fell off a bloody ladder ladder yesterday :-)

In your defense and approx age,,,,,,,, Falling off a "bloody" ladder is understandable cos just before it turns sticky,, blood is quite slippery. :lol: :lol:
Hope you come good soon Mate, :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 07 May 2023, 6:48 pm

Don't worry about BladeR. He is accident prone and as a consequence has learned how to heal well. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation