What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bigpete » 27 Sep 2022, 7:33 am

:allegedly:
Die Judicii wrote::wtf: :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: ????

Yeah......
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2022, 9:33 am

cz515 wrote:I been seeing a few lately around here, they must been breeding. A neighbour had the smaller ones in his backyard early in the year.

I Reckon the best is to shoot them with a camera. I am tempted to take my done around for a spin agreed the rains through

Take photos for sure, but drop the deer afterwards and do our native wildlife a favour while you're in there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Sep 2022, 6:55 pm

Gave the CZ a deep clean. Even stirred the JB :roll:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2022, 7:51 pm

Got my daughter and her kids here this week so it's a bit hectic and noisy :-)
They were getting bored today so I took the older girls in the Landcruiser and we went and explored the muddy tracks in the bush around here. I think they had fun getting through some fairly difficult sections :-)

But I brought back two car batteries, a large glass fish tank, a microwave oven (handy to put all the glass in), and a pile of glass and plastic bottles and aluminium cans. I couldn't get the washing machine disentangled from the blackberry bushes unfortunately but I'll take some tools with me next time. Incredible that people will go out into the bush to dump their garbage.
Attachments
20220929_132617b.jpg
20220929_132617b.jpg (367.2 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 29 Sep 2022, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Sep 2022, 9:11 pm

Everytime I go out I seem to come home with a few stubbies or cans. There are plenty of pigs out there with two legs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Sep 2022, 9:13 pm

bigpete wrote::allegedly:
Die Judicii wrote::wtf: :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: ????

Yeah......

I think cz515 got the name wrong.

Should have made it "idontshoot"

Yet to see a post about shooting or hunting from him.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Sep 2022, 9:21 pm

Deprimed & cleaned some brass and made a drop tube.
Does gardening count,? Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Sep 2022, 3:12 pm

ordered a tikka t3 stainless in 6.5 swede this afternoon . :D popular opinion is these are exceptionally accurate , even more so when put in a good aftermarket stock . and cause they use a 30-06 length mag you can seat right out for more case capacity. unlike my 7-08 which is limited to 2.8" :cry:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2022, 5:59 pm

bigrich wrote:ordered a tikka t3 stainless in 6.5 swede this afternoon . :D popular opinion is these are exceptionally accurate , even more so when put in a good aftermarket stock . and cause they use a 30-06 length mag you can seat right out for more case capacity. unlike my 7-08 which is limited to 2.8" :cry:

Why fuc around buy a 30.06. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Sep 2022, 6:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:ordered a tikka t3 stainless in 6.5 swede this afternoon . :D popular opinion is these are exceptionally accurate , even more so when put in a good aftermarket stock . and cause they use a 30-06 length mag you can seat right out for more case capacity. unlike my 7-08 which is limited to 2.8" :cry:

Even better, 7mm-06 (or .280Rem) :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Sep 2022, 6:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Humbug. :allegedly: :drinks: :friends: :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Sep 2022, 9:02 am

Oldbloke wrote:

already got one . L61R sako :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Sep 2022, 9:12 am

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

thought about rechambering and switching to 30-06 mag length . the only reamer that would clear up the 7-08 chamber is a 280 ackley . great round with a bit more factory backing these days , but it's getting away from my stainless, light recoiling all weather rifle niche . tikkas in 6.5 swede by all reports are next level shooters . with regards to mag length and COL , some factory rifles have had those issues with intermediate calibers like the 7x57 and 257 bob being put into receivers that are too short . the kimber 84 in 257 is one of these apparently . 7-08 would work great in a mauser 98 length action . i also have a 30-06 and 9.3x62 for different trips as well :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Sep 2022, 6:35 pm

Spent the day spreading chicken manure for a veggie farmer,which was a pleasant change from working in a vineyard, then cooked up 2 racks of lamb for the family that were given to me by my boss yesterday. Its nice to be valued by your employer!
20220930_180519.jpg
20220930_180519.jpg (207 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Sep 2022, 7:25 pm

Made an aluminium frame for a 200w solar blanket I bought a while back.
Should give a good boost the van battery.
Pointing it at the sun will at least double its out put.
Attachments
Resized_20220930_174449.jpeg
Resized_20220930_174449.jpeg (235.72 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 30 Sep 2022, 7:34 pm

Mowed the yard, for the second time in 3 days set up my blowfly target for the .22 at 200m aaaaand it rained, again.

Never thought I'd bitch about rain after carrying stinky town water home during the drought, but there it is.

Nice rack Pete
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Flyonline » 30 Sep 2022, 7:46 pm

bigpete wrote:
Fillet it,skin it,run it through a mincer,and make fish cakes

:thumbsup: Thanks, first chance I get I'll do the same
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2022, 8:13 pm

Lazarus wrote:Mowed the yard, for the second time in 3 days set up my blowfly target for the .22 at 200m aaaaand it rained, again.

Never thought I'd bitch about rain after carrying stinky town water home during the drought, but there it is.

Nice rack Pete

200m sounds like fun...as long as the wind is behaving :-)

Had my daughter and her young kids (eight to eleven years) here this week so I avoided shooting, but they were determined that they wanted to see some before they went home last night. So I took them out yesterday and put a dozen rounds through the SMLE for them. They were very, very surprised at how loud rifles are, apparently Fortnight isn't so noisy :-)

Had a calf at 0330, just went out to check her, she's rolled under the fence and is happily sleeping in the road verge. Fine until she gets hungry and can't get back through the fence, so I'm going to have to try to get her through myself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 30 Sep 2022, 8:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Mowed the yard, for the second time in 3 days set up my blowfly target for the .22 at 200m aaaaand it rained, again.

Nice rack Pete

200m sounds like fun...as long as the wind is behaving :-)

Had my daughter and her young kids (eight to eleven years) here this week so I avoided shooting, but they were determined that they wanted to see some before they went home last night. So I took them out yesterday and put a dozen rounds through the SMLE for them. They were very, very surprised at how loud rifles are, apparently Fortnight isn't so noisy :-)

Had a calf at 0330, just went out to check her, she's rolled under the fence and is happily sleeping in the road verge. Fine until she gets hungry and can't get back through the fence, so I'm going to have to try to get her through myself.

I have a niece who is scared of guns, never been near one and her sister who is partnered with a farmer and lives with them and sees them for the essential tool they are.
Her man is one of the mad pig stabbers, bugger that for a joke.
She had me make him a purpose built sticker, he says it works a treat.
20210501_132738_50.jpg
20210501_132738_50.jpg (270.72 KiB) Viewed 1769 times

I've been trying to get the scared one to come out and learn but she's a townie through and through and has the "Hollywood" syndrome.

Good luck with the newborn, she'll eventually learn you're the go to guy.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2022, 9:31 pm

Lazarus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Had a calf at 0330, just went out to check her, she's rolled under the fence and is happily sleeping in the road verge. Fine until she gets hungry and can't get back through the fence, so I'm going to have to try to get her through myself.

I have a niece who is scared of guns, never been near one and her sister who is partnered with a farmer and lives with them and sees them for the essential tool they are.
20210501_132738_50.jpg

I've been trying to get the scared one to come out and learn but she's a townie through and through and has the "Hollywood" syndrome.

Thankfully my daughter understands that I've been shooting most of my life, and shoot very regularly here. She also considers shooting, and being familiar with firearms, to be a useful life skill as well as an enjoyable hobby, though she's not very interested herself. I'm not sure she's ever done any shooting but she has been hunting, she's actually been out deer and pig hunting a lot more than I have, though her boyfriend's family hunted pigs with dogs and knives in Qld.

Drizzling out there but at least it's not freezing :-)
Little cow was buried in the bloody blackberry, they don't seem to notice the thorns when they're less than a day old :-)
I stomped most of it down but still got a few pricks lifting her out. The road fence has steel angle stringers in between the fence posts so you can't just pull the wires apart and push her through. But I found a stick and wedged the bottom wire up enough to get her head under, then just pushed. She jumped straight on the teat but I pushed mum up the hill closer to the gang, hopefully she'll settle down up there. We've got six more coming so we're up every three hours to check them anyway, if the wee one pushes down toward the road again we'll bring it back up.

My daughter's eleven-year-old asked me isn't it hard living on a farm. I thought about it before answering her. The rain, the cold, the mud, the cow poo, mile after mile of walking every week, high costs with low to no income, constantly repairing everything that breaks down, so many hours clearing fallen trees and repairing fences, having to trek into town any time I need something, animals getting crook and dropping dead despite your best efforts, nights spent out in the rain trying to keep a newborn calf alive, having to go and get firewood and get a fire going before you can be warm - it all sucks pretty much. But actually _living_ out here, away from people, traffic, crime, drugs and alcohol, all the petty meaningless issues that plague so many city people - it's pretty bloody awesome I reckon!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 30 Sep 2022, 10:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Had a calf at 0330, just went out to check her, she's rolled under the fence and is happily sleeping in the road verge. Fine until she gets hungry and can't get back through the fence, so I'm going to have to try to get her through myself.

20210501_132738_50.jpg

Thankfully my daughter understands that I've been shooting most of my life, and shoot very regularly here. She also considers shooting, and being familiar with firearms, to be a useful life skill as well as an enjoyable hobby, though she's not very interested herself. I'm not sure she's ever done any shooting but she has been hunting, she's actually been out deer and pig hunting a lot more than I have, though her boyfriend's family hunted pigs with dogs and knives in Qld.

Drizzling out there but at least it's not freezing :-)
Little cow was buried in the bloody blackberry, they don't seem to notice the thorns when they're less than a day old :-)
I stomped most of it down but still got a few pricks lifting her out. The road fence has steel angle stringers in between the fence posts so you can't just pull the wires apart and push her through. But I found a stick and wedged the bottom wire up enough to get her head under, then just pushed. She jumped straight on the teat but I pushed mum up the hill closer to the gang, hopefully she'll settle down up there. We've got six more coming so we're up every three hours to check them anyway, if the wee one pushes down toward the road again we'll bring it back up.

My daughter's eleven-year-old asked me isn't it hard living on a farm. I thought about it before answering her. The rain, the cold, the mud, the cow poo, mile after mile of walking every week, high costs with low to no income, constantly repairing everything that breaks down, so many hours clearing fallen trees and repairing fences, having to trek into town any time I need something, animals getting crook and dropping dead despite your best efforts, nights spent out in the rain trying to keep a newborn calf alive, having to go and get firewood and get a fire going before you can be warm - it all sucks pretty much. But actually _living_ out here, away from people, traffic, crime, drugs and alcohol, all the petty meaningless issues that plague so many city people - it's pretty bloody awesome I reckon!

I hear you my friend, I go to my sister's place in town and it's like something out of my nightmares.
Standing in her bathroom using the "convenience" one day, looked out the window and there's oldmate next-door, about 5 metres away doing the same.
Awkward moment, we nodded to each other and went about it, but OMG, what a way to live.
Like being in the slam.
And the noise.

I'd rather go to the vet for the green dream than put up with that.
My nearest neighbours are over 3km down the road.

This year is the second without mulesing and the difference is amazing.
Happy babies running around after marking as though nothing had happened.
The boys were walking a little funny, but who wouldn't with an elastrator on.

Bloody rain and a late frost took their toll, but remarkably few compared to when they had been mulesed.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 30 Sep 2022, 11:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Like a lot of things in life there is always a flip side. Personally I can't imagine dealing with all the stuff city people do. Less income in the country but less expenses too.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2022, 12:43 am

Lazarus wrote:I hear you my friend, I go to my sister's place in town and it's like something out of my nightmares.
Standing in her bathroom using the "convenience" one day, looked out the window and there's oldmate next-door, about 5 metres away doing the same.
Awkward moment, we nodded to each other and went about it, but OMG, what a way to live.
Like being in the slam.
And the noise.

I'd rather go to the vet for the green dream than put up with that.
My nearest neighbours are over 3km down the road.

This year is the second without mulesing and the difference is amazing.
Happy babies running around after marking as though nothing had happened.
The boys were walking a little funny, but who wouldn't with an elastrator on.

Bloody rain and a late frost took their toll, but remarkably few compared to when they had been mulesed.

When I had my house built it was the first one in the development, no neighbours at all for a few months, then as the houses went up the traffic started, and the noise and general busy-ness of suburbia. The builder put clear glass in the wet areas, which didn't matter to me at all, until the house went up next door and I had the same issue as yourself, having a wee while looking into the neighbour's kitchen :-)

I was shooting on sheep properties when I was a kid but had virtually nothing to do with them, other than some slaughtering. A mate here though has about 160 head and wants Rose and myself to help him shear them next week. That will including elastrating the males, separating some out for market, and slaughtering some for our freezers. He's just waiting for a dry spell in the weather now.

Another cow in labour now so Rose is out keeping an eye on her, hopefully she drops quick with no issues so we can get some sleep.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2022, 1:03 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day bladeracer,

Hopefully the market will continue to get stronger for sellers and you'll do well. My neighbours [who made $2200 for their steers before the FMD scare] also got $1800 for their heifers at the same sale.

Let us know how you go.

Jim

I forgot about this.
Rose got the ticket back but I've already forgotten the details. The biggest three-year-old bloke was 520kg and made $1700 nett. Two smaller boys were a three-year-old 385kg who made $1740 and a two-year-old a little over 300kg that made $2200 and something. Then three youngsters that we didn't get the weights of made a little over $5500 for the set. Angus made the big money, ours are Murray Greys. Our two-year-old made 25% more money than the three-year-olds though - that's annoying.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2022, 2:14 am

bladeracer wrote:Another cow in labour now so Rose is out keeping an eye on her, hopefully she drops quick with no issues so we can get some sleep.

Had to go out and pull it with the chains, but all seems well so far.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 01 Oct 2022, 4:33 am

bladeracer wrote:
NTSOG wrote:G'day bladeracer,

Hopefully the market will continue to get stronger for sellers and you'll do well. My neighbours [who made $2200 for their steers before the FMD scare] also got $1800 for their heifers at the same sale.

Let us know how you go.

Jim

I forgot about this.
Rose got the ticket back but I've already forgotten the details. The biggest three-year-old bloke was 520kg and made $1700 nett. Two smaller boys were a three-year-old 385kg who made $1740 and a two-year-old a little over 300kg that made $2200 and something. Then three youngsters that we didn't get the weights of made a little over $5500 for the set. Angus made the big money, ours are Murray Greys. Our two-year-old made 25% more money than the three-year-olds though - that's annoying.

I sold a big hereford steer a while back that weighed from memory 1070 KG....made $3800.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2022, 4:57 pm

brinny wrote:I sold a big hereford steer a while back that weighed from memory 1070 KG....made $3800.....

Nice. We haven't bothered trying to keep a bull, not worth the headache, we (meaning Rose) do AI.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2022, 5:00 pm

We pulled the calf in the wee hours then had a sleep, then went planting with Landcare, then dropped in on a wildlife carer to check out the young koala she's looking after just now, very cute. Want to load some .303 ammo this arvo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Oct 2022, 11:33 pm

Lazarus wrote:
I hear you my friend, I go to my sister's place in town and it's like something out of my nightmares.

I think the above kind of situation was best summed up 10 years ago when my Soninlaw and I were discussing these issues of living in town.

He said, "You've gotta be careful when your having the morning pee,,, in case the splatter lands in your neighbors bowl of Weetbix"
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2022, 6:00 pm

Went to help a mate shear some sheep, but the mob he'd yarded had escaped already :-)
So we dug out some cherry, raspberry and sugar maple trees he didn't want, brought them home and planted them in our orchard and shelter belt.
Going to try the sheep again tomorrow.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation