What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Shootermick » 07 May 2023, 6:51 pm

CRF wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Spent the day on the airseder sowing wheat, after I sacked my tractor driver last week. Not very exciting, but another week and a bit and I’ll be done. Be able to get out and enjoy my weekends and have a shoot again.

What part of the country are you in?

Western Vic mate.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 May 2023, 7:57 pm

Get well soon blade . If I fell off a ladder it'd be an ambulance and hospital stay for quite a while best of luck with it
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by CRF » 07 May 2023, 8:26 pm

Shootermick wrote:
CRF wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Spent the day on the airseder sowing wheat, after I sacked my tractor driver last week. Not very exciting, but another week and a bit and I’ll be done. Be able to get out and enjoy my weekends and have a shoot again.

Western Vic mate.

We're probably not too far from one another then. I'm one of them lowly Agro's.

Good to see fellas getting through their program, plenty are behind the eight ball this year.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 07 May 2023, 8:34 pm

CRF wrote:
Shootermick wrote:
CRF wrote:

Western Vic mate.

We're probably not too far from one another then. I'm one of them lowly Agro's.

Good to see fellas getting through their program, plenty are behind the eight ball this year.

Haha. Nothing lowly about an agronomist.
Season is off to good start here, about 140 hectares left. Ripper frost this morning though, pretty cold filling the seeder first thing.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 May 2023, 6:16 pm

What did I do today ?
Went in to work,did 1½ hours,got a reply from the boss to a message I sent yesterday about what work they want me to prioritise saying that we're basically going into shutdown because there's no work to be had anywhere! So now I'm looking at at least a month of zero work ! Luckily I'm getting a pretty big tax return but still,I'd have much rathered that be spent on going away on a holiday !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ClaytonT88 » 08 May 2023, 6:29 pm

Heck, that sucks bigpete, most places I know are flat out like a lizard drinking!
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 09 May 2023, 11:46 am

Yesterday was looking forward to the first fire pit fire of the year. Spent hours prepping everything, cleaning, preparing wood, food, etc. and as soon as I started the fire it began to rain. Oh well, will try again later this week.

Spring is here and everything is starting to turn green and did my first mow today.

Also have carpenter bees attacking my range building so I spent some time yesterday and today, taking them out with fly swatter. I like bees, but these are eating the support beams on the range building and I simply can't tolerate that. I now have to move hundreds of pounds of firewood so I can get at the support beam and repair it.

The forecast shows the next 3 weeks is mostly clear with temps from 17-25C so I plan on doing a lot of shooting, filming, bike riding and all sorts of projects.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 09 May 2023, 12:17 pm

ClaytonT88 wrote:Heck, that sucks bigpete, most places I know are flat out like a lizard drinking!

Been a really bad year in the vineyards down here.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 09 May 2023, 5:46 pm

bigpete wrote:

Downturn from China etc. or rain damage/disease, both or something else?

Ended up at home with my daughter who was sick, so after a few card games, lego building, jigsaws and other 'fun' stuff I called a break and sewed up a gun carrier for my pack(s). It should fit both my big packs, is very small and lightweight and ambidextrous depending on need. It's not quick release, so probably will be just for hiking distance, carry out and whatever but it should give me a base to design V2.0 with a few more features. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, bet my yr 7 Home Ed teacher never thought I'd be using skills she taught me 30 odd years later :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 May 2023, 6:13 pm

Flyonline wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Ended up at home with my daughter who was sick, so after a few card games, lego building, jigsaws and other 'fun' stuff I called a break and sewed up a gun carrier for my pack(s). It should fit both my big packs, is very small and lightweight and ambidextrous depending on need. It's not quick release, so probably will be just for hiking distance, carry out and whatever but it should give me a base to design V2.0 with a few more features. Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, bet my yr 7 Home Ed teacher never thought I'd be using skills she taught me 30 odd years later :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was really wet through the growing period so basically everyone got mildew,then it was a cool wet summer through fruit set so the fruit struggled to ripen. The 2 combined meant there was a lot of money spent on spraying for very little crop return. Some places didn't even bother picking. And because we're contractors we miss out on work because of it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 09 May 2023, 6:21 pm

Flyonline wrote:
bigpete wrote:

There's also a bit of the owners just not wanting to spend money. A lot of them think having a vineyard is sitting back in the sunshine sipping wine while the grapes gently ripen in the soft breeze on their own.....lol.

Funny you mention a rifle carrier,I've been looking at one I've seen on Facebook which is essentially a single sling strap that goes over one shoulder with another strap that goes around your ribs and clips to the main sling. There's a similar concept with back quivers. Anyways it holds the rifle in place well and unclips quickly so I may make up one of my own to try...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 09 May 2023, 6:44 pm

bigpete wrote:What did I do today ?
Went in to work,did 1½ hours,got a reply from the boss to a message I sent yesterday about what work they want me to prioritise saying that we're basically going into shutdown because there's no work to be had anywhere! So now I'm looking at at least a month of zero work ! Luckily I'm getting a pretty big tax return but still,I'd have much rathered that be spent on going away on a holiday !

You can relocate to Vic and work on my farm if you want. Had two workers this year, one lasted 4 days because she was homesick, only a young girl so fair enough. The next bloke was really good, apart from turning up late every day. Them I saw his ice pipe in the console of his ute when I had to move it. Needless to say, I gave him the arse.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 May 2023, 7:16 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bigpete wrote:What did I do today ?

You can relocate to Vic and work on my farm if you want. Had two workers this year, one lasted 4 days because she was homesick, only a young girl so fair enough. The next bloke was really good, apart from turning up late every day. Them I saw his ice pipe in the console of his ute when I had to move it. Needless to say, I gave him the arse.

Thanks for the offer but I've a home and 2 split families here
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 May 2023, 8:30 pm

Gees Mick, you can't win a trick with employees.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 09 May 2023, 8:38 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Gees Mick, you can't win a trick with employees.

It’s been a drama. Old mate on the ice was fantastic, until then, apart from being two hours plus late every single day, his work was really good. It’s not as efficient, but sometimes it’s easier to just do things yourself.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by CRF » 09 May 2023, 9:07 pm

Shootermick wrote:

It’s been a drama. Old mate on the ice was fantastic, until then, apart from being two hours plus late every single day, his work was really good. It’s not as efficient, but sometimes it’s easier to just do things yourself.

Are you Wimmera, Mallee or western Districts?
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 May 2023, 10:03 pm

Shootermick wrote:

Doesn't anyone have any work ethics anymore?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 10 May 2023, 7:24 pm

bigpete wrote:There's also a bit of the owners just not wanting to spend money. A lot of them think having a vineyard is sitting back in the sunshine sipping wine while the grapes gently ripen in the soft breeze on their own.....lol.

Funny you mention a rifle carrier,I've been looking at one I've seen on Facebook which is essentially a single sling strap that goes over one shoulder with another strap that goes around your ribs and clips to the main sling. There's a similar concept with back quivers. Anyways it holds the rifle in place well and unclips quickly so I may make up one of my own to try...

You mean it's not cheese and biscuits every day :sarcasm: :sarcasm: Oh wait, it's long hours, early starts, late finishes, a crapload of outlay for no return for ages and being at the mercy of the market and/or weather.

We were lucky at my work, there were a lot of other places that didn't fare as well and being organic we're limited to what we can use, though I think the copper and sulphur quotas were pretty well maxed out by the end.

Yeah, I've seen similar for the holster style holder, but I wanted something very simple and easy to see how it goes first. Might then attempt a Maroka QR type quick disconnect so it's held in a similar position to the safari sling.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 May 2023, 7:46 pm

Flyonline wrote:
You mean it's not cheese and biscuits every day :sarcasm: :sarcasm: Oh wait, it's long hours, early starts, late finishes, a crapload of outlay for no return for ages and being at the mercy of the market and/or weather.

Hey fellas,,,,,,,, I think I'm on the way to solving your worries.
From tonite onwards I'm gonna start drinking alchohol.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 14 May 2023, 3:21 pm

Well,after getting the mothers day stuff out of the way ( amazed me that my partners kids really couldn't give a f#@k but my lad helped choose a card,presents,and presented them.to her with a big " happy mothers day " hug ),I took my new,$16,telescopic fishing pole and a bunch of new-to-me mutsu circle hooks for a fish down the river. Well,after 4 hours,and a close encounter with a resident water rat, I caught myself 15' ( the length of the fishing pole ) worth of crappy mud marlin. All in good fun though.
Screenshot_20230514-145059_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230514-145059_Gallery.jpg (679.46 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 14 May 2023, 5:27 pm

CRF wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

Western district mate.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2023, 6:37 pm

Big day yesterday. I shot four of our calves and we had a butcher here to cut them up. They're in the fridge trailer until next weekend when he'll be back to butcher them. Unfortunately I should be in NSW then so Rose will have to rope in some friends to help I think. I'm guessing there's around 500kg of beef there.

I had a plan to make some reduced .303 loads with the 174gn Bertram to replicate a hit at 200m so I could see how the bullet behaves for hunting, but I didn't get around to that in time. So I thought I'd use the Carcano with the 160gn Hornady RN at 2000fps which would let me see how that bullet works on bone and flesh at 150m out of the 6.5x55mm. But when it came time I decided to use the .44 Magnum, after the discussion last week about using it for sambar. It was very effective, and not so loud we needed hearing protection. When he cut one throat the bullet fell out, about half its original 240gn weight. The others I won't recover until we pull the skulls out of the compost pile but none showed obvious trauma into the neck meat or spine. Interestingly, his mate prefers to use the .243, and when he cut the throat of one of the neighbour's steer's the bullet fell out of that one as well. He happened to still have it in his console, just the smashed jacket.

I don't have velocity recorded but Nosler 240gn JHP on 23.5gn of AR2205 which should be around 1700fps. Penetration through the top of the skull made it into the throat area so around 150mm to 200mm. The animals were in the 200kg to 250kg realm and all dropped instantly. The bullet did break up going through the skull cap (I didn't aim off to avoid the thick ridge as I wanted the bullet to go through it). The bone ridge is probably about 15mm to 20mm thick there but I'll confirm when we recover the cleaned skulls.

I had intended to process them myself but I'm away for a few days and we had to get them done. I'm glad we got the butcher in now. Great bloke that made the whole job so much easier. Brad works out of Meeniyan. He did three steers for our neighbour a few weeks ago and impressed us then.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057080725070
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 6mm Remington » 14 May 2023, 6:41 pm

Had a fun day shooting five stand in a social sporting clays match.
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 16 May 2023, 2:57 am

Well so far most of May has been very dry and pleasant with warm days around 20C and a couple degrees above freezing at night, perfect for sleeping with the windows open.

Been very busy filming and doing various projects and everything is turning green and growing fast.

Haven't done any shooting recently because I have been preoccupied with waging war on the carpenter bees attacking my range building. I bought a 10 shot Bug A Salt gas powered salt revolver so every day I have been spending time knocking them out of the sky with it. I have damage I need to repair on the building and have managed to drastically reduce their numbers.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 16 May 2023, 6:06 pm

Tbh I've had a very rough day. VERY rough.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 May 2023, 7:08 pm

bigpete wrote:Tbh I've had a very rough day. VERY rough.

Very sorry to hear that bigpete. I hope you are OK.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 16 May 2023, 7:50 pm

bigpete wrote:Tbh I've had a very rough day. VERY rough.

That's not good. Hope a good day comes you way very soon
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 16 May 2023, 8:37 pm

Thanks guys. Here's hoping a certain someone has second thoughts about their decision and that I can seek the help I need to make things better in our lives
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 May 2023, 1:55 pm

I was supposed to be driving to NSW today for the weekend shoot. But Rose got called in to work two days this week so she's already behind and I don't want to leave her here to process all this meat on her own, so the shoot is off for me. Looks like fun as they have Army and Air Force Cadets there for some shooting. Oh well :-)

My daughter moved her family to town ten minutes from me last week, and three of the four kids, and her mum, came down with Covid last weekend, so we don't want them coming to help either! Her boyfriend is commuting to work in Melbourne, which I think will wear very thin very quickly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by CRF » 18 May 2023, 3:28 pm

Shootermick wrote:
CRF wrote:
Shootermick wrote:

Western district mate.

If you were a little further north I could possibly have passed on a few names.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation