What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Dec 2022, 11:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
The route I was intending to take today (before changing it to check out the new sheep carcass) is much easier but does entail a 2500m hike around the perimeter track to get to the entry point. I'll try that one soon. I might be able to get back tomorrow to drag that carcass over the crest of the hill, then I can sit out in the paddock for a few hours and see if any foxes show up. There were a pair of wedgetail eagles circling overhead all arvo but they didn't seem interested at all in the smorgasbord lying in the paddock for them.

All up another nice day in the bush, but I'm feeling it tonight, especially in the legs :-)

Did you spare a thought for the massive scent trail that you yourself were leaving behind you ???
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Dec 2022, 9:25 am

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
The route I was intending to take today (before changing it to check out the new sheep carcass) is much easier but does entail a 2500m hike around the perimeter track to get to the entry point. I'll try that one soon. I might be able to get back tomorrow to drag that carcass over the crest of the hill, then I can sit out in the paddock for a few hours and see if any foxes show up. There were a pair of wedgetail eagles circling overhead all arvo but they didn't seem interested at all in the smorgasbord lying in the paddock for them.

All up another nice day in the bush, but I'm feeling it tonight, especially in the legs :-)

Did you spare a thought for the massive scent trail that you yourself were leaving behind you ???

I can't smell so my scent is always on my mind, I consider it some sort of magical force that makes everything run away so I probably value it far too high :-)
But I've had foxes come to other animals not long after I've skinned them, foxes don't seem particularly bothered by my scent. The eagles were up before I went out. I went out into a strong head wind, but by the time I came back the wind had dropped to virtually nothing. I wasn't expecting to see foxes on the carcass, but I wasn't going to rule it out as I've been tricked before doing that.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 05 Dec 2022, 1:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Blade, the guys I work with swear by the US Army issued poncho liner. It's a quilted liner that weighs 2 pounds and can be attached to a US Army poncho to make an improvised rain resistant sleeping bag. They call the poncho liner a "Woobie". They say get the USGI ones not the cheap chicom knockoffs.

I'm using the US Army poncho (brilliant bit of kit) but wasn't aware there was a liner, I'll order one ASAP! I have it strapped to the back of my rig so I can reach back with my left hand and pull it out of its straps at first sign of rain and toss it over myself without stopping. When it dries out it's compact enough that I can stuff it into a pocket or down my shirt until I stop, then I re-roll it and strap it back in place.
Thanks Wanneroo :-)

BTW - does your user name stem from the Perth suburb or from somewhere else? Wanneroo is where the main race circuit in WA is.

Yep, you gotta get a Woobie to go with that poncho. That might solve your problem where you need something light but yet can keep you warm and keep some water off of you combined with the poncho.

Yes I took the name from the racetrack.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 08 Dec 2022, 7:04 pm

Screenshot_20221208-193320_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221208-193320_Gallery.jpg (682.42 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

Managed to rip the centre out of a wheel today turning in a headland,with a full tank no less !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2022, 7:10 pm

bigpete wrote:

Managed to rip the centre out of a wheel today turning in a headland,with a full tank no less !

Wow, that's impressive!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Dec 2022, 8:41 pm

bigpete wrote:

Mmmm, sounds like fun. :allegedly: :shock:

Dug up and potted some rhubarb for a mate.
Planted some tomatoes.
Fitted an additional anderson plug to the utes auxiliary battery box.
Got organised to bottle my home brew on Sunday.
Booked the Mrs in for a new stainless hip in February.
Hit a raw nerve. :violin:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Dec 2022, 8:58 pm

Too much gunk and vegetation got stuck under my quad on my ladt trip away so i drove it up on a high ramp , chanhed the oil and blew all the rubbish out of all the nooks and crannies .. unfortunately i had to remove a fsir bit of alum skid plate arnmour for access. Oh the joy of mud set containing a stack of dry galvanised burr
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 08 Dec 2022, 9:31 pm

Went and saw my new grandchild. #3
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Dec 2022, 10:47 pm

Blr243 wrote: Oh the joy of mud set containing a stack of dry galvanised burr

Lovely stuff that galv burr,,,,,,,,,,, all you need to add to the mix is some Devils Claws, Tiger Cactus, and Bathhurst Burr. :wtf: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Dec 2022, 1:54 pm

Blade. I just saw amongst this that you cant smell and you imagine it as some sort of magicsl force I know some canlose their sense of smell a d at least they can remember whatit used to be like. But it got m thinkin. If someone is born without either sight or smell or hearing ho do we go about explaining it to them the thing that they atemissing. ? Because if you never had something how on Earth could so eome try to understand wht it is ? Intriguing
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 10 Dec 2022, 2:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:Blade. I just saw amongst this that you cant smell and you imagine it as some sort of magicsl force I know some canlose their sense of smell a d at least they can remember whatit used to be like. But it got m thinkin. If someone is born without either sight or smell or hearing ho do we go about explaining it to them the thing that they atemissing. ? Because if you never had something how on Earth could so eome try to understand wht it is ? Intriguing

How do you discribe a colour to the blind?
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Dec 2022, 2:25 pm

Blr243 wrote:Blade. I just saw amongst this that you cant smell and you imagine it as some sort of magical force I know some can lose their sense of smell a d at least they can remember what it used to be like. But it got me thinkin. If someone is born without either sight or smell or hearing ho do we go about explaining it to them the thing that they are missing. ? Because if you never had something how on Earth could someone try to understand what it is ? Intriguing

I lost it aged seven when I was flown to Alice Springs for an emergency tonsil and adenoid ectomy. I have no memory of smell at all, and don't recall missing it even as a kid. It's like electricity, I sort of understand how it works, but I really can't make any sense of it :-)

When Rose and I are out in the paddocks she can smell when a fox has been in the area, that would be handy I'm sure. I've met a few people that can't smell, a kid I went to high school with, and one of Rose's brothers are two that have never been able to smell. People I've spoken with that had covid also claim to lose their sense of smell but I think they eventually recovered it. I don't know how covid does that though so I'm not sure if the olfactory nerve is totally non-functional or just "shielded" perhaps, like a head cold.

Most people try to explain it to me using taste, but "taste" is partly smell as well. I know what chocolate tastes like, to me, but I'm sure it tastes quite different to you if you are also using your olfactory nerves to smell it. I guess I taste things like you might if you had a severe head cold?

But yes, I really don't understand it, or miss it. I couldn't smell a gas leak, or a fire of course, but I also can't smell a decomposing carcass when it needs dealing with :-) I asked my mate when he smelled that sheep whether my being near it would leave the smell on me when I went into the bush and he thought it very likely would - I wouldn't know. I didn't touch it but I was bending over it for a couple minutes examining the damage for fox indicators - the flies were deafening. The right rear leg was missing from the hip ball joint but otherwise the animal was intact. It's possible one of the eagles may have torn it off but I would think a fox is more likely. All her mates were standing around eating grass totally unbothered by it at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 10 Dec 2022, 6:40 pm

Cleared about 1/2 acre of waiste high bastard phalarus with my brush-cutter, then, trimmed some trees with the same attachment.
Gotta love the Stihl blade, cuts anything.

20221210_193113.jpg
20221210_193113.jpg (630.74 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

20221210_162532.jpg
20221210_162532.jpg (431.17 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

The branch is about 20mm thick.

And, smoke a bit of meat for a full-on carnivor scoff session.

20221210_194352.jpg
20221210_194352.jpg (695.7 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 10 Dec 2022, 6:59 pm

Well blade is sounds like you aremanaging quite well without it. I guess if i were to loose one ofmy semses I would probably prefer it to be smell and second taste. Touch sight and hearing is too essential.. i did have a strange girlfriend a while back who had no sense of smell . It was great because when i first met heri could just silent fart whenever and shehad no idea . Otherwisei would of had to temporarily walk awayand return and makr up spme reason why i had to wander off. The sortsof things we do when we first meet ! She said the sense of smell loss was from a car accident but i dont really know what to believe because she was often shovelling cokeup her snout. I haveno idea if thet damages your sense of smell
Last edited by Blr243 on 10 Dec 2022, 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Dec 2022, 7:03 pm

And all coke and jokes aside , today i was bending and welding and modifying my roof racks andnew quadbike bull bar. All went very well. I know a fantastic welder. He visits and help me out whenever i need him
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2022, 5:41 pm

Disassembled the Yeomans Plow today and stacked it all on a pallet so Rose can advertise it for sale. She reckons we won't need it again, I reckon she'll be wanting it again about four weeks after it sells :-)
20220926_112951b.jpg
20220926_112951b.jpg (385 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 11 Dec 2022, 5:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:Disassembled the Yeomans Plow today and stacked it all on a pallet so Rose can advertise it for sale. She reckons we won't need it again, I reckon she'll be wanting it again about four weeks after it sells :-)
20220926_112951b.jpg

That's the way of the world, eh Blade?
I'm a bit of a hoarder.
Guaranteed the very day I bin something I think I'll never need, I find the exact use for it.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Dec 2022, 5:49 pm

Lazarus wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Disassembled the Yeomans Plow today and stacked it all on a pallet so Rose can advertise it for sale. She reckons we won't need it again, I reckon she'll be wanting it again about four weeks after it sells :-)
20220926_112951b.jpg

I'm a bit of a hoarder.
Guaranteed the very day I bin something I think I'll never need, I find the exact use for it.

Yes, I know the feeling. For me is usually about 30 days after.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 11 Dec 2022, 6:03 pm

Went to visit my grandma today. Since she lost grandpa last year she's on a downhill slide so it may be the last time i see her unfortunately. Promised to bring her a rabbit should have thought ahead and grabbed one today out of the freezer.
Been thinking a lot on buying a Hikmicro Aspen NV scope. Will need to sell a lot of stuff to buy it though. Would be pretty handy and my pard nv007 would compliment it well
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2022, 6:31 pm

Lazarus wrote:
20220926_112951b.jpg

I'm a bit of a hoarder.

Every damn time :-)
Her brother and I were looking for the old springs I took off the trailer to make some mulcher blades last week, turns out Rose took them in a scrap metal load the week before :-)

We have a gadget that Rose's dad's niece's father-in-law (Tom Clark) made maybe sixty years ago. It's a set of forks to mount on the front of a tractor, though I don't really understand how they're supposed to work. I think maybe he also had a rig that ran a chain or cable over the roof to lift it with the three-point perhaps. It's two long arms that run out each side of the engine with the forks setup pivoting on the end. You lock the forks in a level position with a latch, lift whatever you want to lift, and move it. But it also has a cable attachment that lets you trip the latch, dropping the forks, perhaps he had a bucket to go on it for moving soil as well. We have no use for it and it's a bloody awkward heavy lump to move around so it has to go. A neighbour down the road has a large collection of old machinery (including some from here when Bob died), he may want it to mount on some old tractor perhaps. Otherwise it's going to scrap. It's pretty solid, 75mm wide and 25mm thick steel so I can cut a bunch of small 75mm square gongs out of the arms for the .22LR. I might also be able to weld some lengths together to make gongs 150mm, 225mm, 300mm, 375mm and 450mm square for long-range targets. I think out past about 500m 25mm mild shouldn't be totally destroyed by most rifle bullets?
Last edited by bladeracer on 11 Dec 2022, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Dec 2022, 6:33 pm

Spent more timeunder my quadbike checking modifications and re secucireing things. And more on bull bar skid plates radiator protection etc. complete e with mandatory s**t falling in my eyes
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2022, 7:02 pm

bigpete wrote:Went to visit my grandma today. Since she lost grandpa last year she's on a downhill slide so it may be the last time i see her unfortunately. Promised to bring her a rabbit should have thought ahead and grabbed one today out of the freezer.
Been thinking a lot on buying a Hikmicro Aspen NV scope. Will need to sell a lot of stuff to buy it though. Would be pretty handy and my pard nv007 would compliment it well

Rose's mum had a stroke last Saturday, not too serious luckily. Her only real complaint is that she can't pronounce her name properly when answering the phone now. She still managed to mow all the lawns this week without any trouble. Rose has reduced the area over the last few years down to about 650m2 now, not bad for 87 years-old I reckon. We replaced the ancient petrol mower (that was always having starting issues, kept dropping bits off, and had a wooden wheel that Bob made decades ago) with a battery one last year. Now she can mow for an hour then has to stop for a cup of tea while the batteries charge :-)
She's only 85 in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoxym2Gj4Lk
Today she went to Phillip Island for lunch, two hours each way on a bus with a bunch of friends - we can't slow her down.
She'd love a rabbit feed as well but there are barely any around here nowadays.
Last edited by bladeracer on 11 Dec 2022, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Dec 2022, 7:42 pm

Hope you grandma comes good BP

https://youtu.be/CWYQXv4r5W4
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 11 Dec 2022, 7:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Hope you grandma comes good BP

She's nearly 90 mate.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Dec 2022, 9:39 pm

Lazarus wrote:

I'm a bit of a hoarder.

Ahhh Haaaaa Haaaaaa,,,,,,,
A word from the now wise,,,,, and "Hindsight is a wonderful thing"

Before moving to Qld (? 12 year ago) I had a clearing sale,,,,,, and there's been hardly a day goes by since that I don't say to myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sh!t,,,,, I had one of those but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Dec 2022, 9:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:She'd love a rabbit feed as well but there are barely any around here nowadays.

Isn't it the other way round ,,,according to Rex Hunt ??????
"Thank ya Mother/Grandmother for the Rabbit"

But seriously Blade,,,,,, what about a nice young Hare ?
More meat on them than a rabbit.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2022, 10:46 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Isn't it the other way round ,,,according to Rex Hunt ??????

I have heard of Rex Hunt but don't know anything about him, wasn't he into fishing?
Yes, there are a couple of small rabbits been showing up in the orchards here at the house that Rose wants me to knock off. Haven't seen them this week though so calici might have already taken those. There are hares on another block so I could take one of those, not sure she's ever tried hare though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Dec 2022, 7:23 am

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Hope you grandma comes good BP

She's nearly 90 mate.

My mother died at 89. Dad just pined for her for and tossed it in 16 months later a couple of months short of 93. I was with him playing his favourite music at the time.
MIL (I call her the robot, 2 knee replacements and shoulder repaired) still looks after herself in a unit. 93. Although definitely slowing now still catches a taxi to go shopping once a week.

Go visit you grandma again in a couple of days mate. Don't have regrets.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2022, 10:10 am

bladeracer wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Isn't it the other way round ,,,according to Rex Hunt ??????

I have heard of Rex Hunt but don't know anything about him, wasn't he into fishing?
Yes, there are a couple of small rabbits been showing up in the orchards here at the house that Rose wants me to knock off. Haven't seen them this week though so calici might have already taken those. There are hares on another block so I could take one of those, not sure she's ever tried hare though.

Rex Hunt was basically a loud mouthed twat who was into footy and fishing
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Dec 2022, 2:32 pm

bigpete wrote:Rex Hunt was basically a loud mouthed twat who was into footy and fishing

That explains it, I've never been into fishing or footy :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation