What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by mickb » 08 Jul 2022, 11:26 am

Thats really sad

it is big pete :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by cz515 » 08 Jul 2022, 2:53 pm

I have a friend, who works the video/security cancers in gyms, he just found your picture mick and sent it to me

old-man.jpg
old-man.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 7118 times
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2022, 3:07 pm

Just been shooting my onieda in the backyard....where I also happen to shoot my shanghai occasionally.....
Screenshot_20220708-143630_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220708-143630_Gallery.jpg (233.23 KiB) Viewed 7116 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2022, 5:01 pm

So a field tip found the grass and a lead shot as well ? That’s sort of lucky
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2022, 5:57 pm

To end the day....get a call from my distraught fiancé tonight,some bloke followed her into work this morning to abuse her for pulling and and driving too slow for his tastes,then came back while she worked and smashed her windscreen with a rock! f***ing loser!
Screenshot_20220708-172416_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220708-172416_Gallery.jpg (295.89 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 08 Jul 2022, 7:04 pm

One of my ex girlfriend s was pushed and shoved a bit by a bloke in a road rage incident.. just as he was beginning to shows signs of cooling off and getting back into his car she politely pointed out to him that there was a police car pulled up behind him and that they saw everything ... great timing. The coward cried In Front of the cops and it cost him some money ... smashing someone windscreen is very irrational behaviour. Somewhere along the line he will come undone big time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2022, 7:36 pm

bigpete wrote:To end the day....get a call from my distraught fiancé tonight,some bloke followed her into work this morning to abuse her for pulling and and driving too slow for his tastes,then came back while she worked and smashed her windscreen with a rock! f***ing loser!

That sucks big time
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2022, 7:43 pm

Only wish the cops had been there....as it was,she couldn't even go and make a report at the station because they shut at 3pm....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Jul 2022, 7:49 pm

bigpete wrote:Only wish the cops had been there....as it was,she couldn't even go and make a report at the station because they shut at 3pm....

? CCTV cameras nearby :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mickb » 08 Jul 2022, 8:01 pm

cz515 wrote:I have a friend, who works the video/security cancers in gyms, he just found your picture mick and sent it to me

old-man.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Well Jimtom on this forum has seen me in person and can verify its not me, Im not that ripped and I dont have a tan :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 6:14 am

Got an infection in a wound on Friday, most likely resulting from inspecting a great deal of animal scat to determine the species that are active in the area we planted seedlings in the previous day. It was getting pretty obnoxious by Saturday night. I helped Rose move the cattle (I sat in the ute) from the bottom block up the road to the middle block at dawn on Sunday, then slept the whole day. Was still getting worse on Monday morning so went to my doctor yesterday arvo and she sent me straight to hospital for IV antibiotics. Twelve bloody hours in the Emergency waiting room - and I was in the "Fast Track". While I was finally getting the IV drip I heard a young woman with a sick baby crying to the doctor that she'd been there 27 hours! Just after midnight I begged my way into a dose of Endone which knocked out all my pain for almost three hours (and made me extremely chatty), but it was all back again by the time they sent us home at 0400.

Not a great day and I suspect we'll spend today in bed catching up on sleep :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 12 Jul 2022, 6:44 am

mickb wrote:
cz515 wrote:I have a friend, who works the video/security cancers in gyms, he just found your picture mick and sent it to me

old-man.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Well Jimtom on this forum has seen me in person and can verify its not me, Im not that ripped and I dont have a tan :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: He speaks the truth. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 12 Jul 2022, 6:49 am

bigpete wrote:Only wish the cops had been there....as it was,she couldn't even go and make a report at the station because they shut at 3pm....

Mate not sure about SA, but here in QLD the main way of reporting a non urgent crime is online. I think that’s rubbish, you should be able to talk to a police officer 24/7 if you need.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 12 Jul 2022, 12:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:Got an infection in a wound on Friday, most likely resulting from inspecting a great deal of animal scat to determine the species that are active in the area we planted seedlings in the previous day. It was getting pretty obnoxious by Saturday night. I helped Rose move the cattle (I sat in the ute) from the bottom block up the road to the middle block at dawn on Sunday, then slept the whole day. Was still getting worse on Monday morning so went to my doctor yesterday arvo and she sent me straight to hospital for IV antibiotics. Twelve bloody hours in the Emergency waiting room - and I was in the "Fast Track". While I was finally getting the IV drip I heard a young woman with a sick baby crying to the doctor that she'd been there 27 hours! Just after midnight I begged my way into a dose of Endone which knocked out all my pain for almost three hours (and made me extremely chatty), but it was all back again by the time they sent us home at 0400.

Not a great day and I suspect we'll spend today in bed catching up on sleep :-)

These days anything I handle that might be sketchy such as chemicals, heavy metals, animal stuff, whatever, I wear nitrile gloves.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2022, 12:54 pm

bigpete wrote:To end the day....get a call from my distraught fiancé tonight,some bloke followed her into work this morning to abuse her for pulling and and driving too slow for his tastes,then came back while she worked and smashed her windscreen with a rock! f***ing loser!

That's totally f***ed.

I hope they catch up with him very soon.
Given they would have driven through traffic lights, many of which have video surveillance now, it's only a matter of time.

I hope she's not too distressed BP

My fiance also attracts undesirable attention due to her cautious driving.
She has been road raged close to home recently.
We have a plan ... she contacts me the moment something like that begins and tells me her location and direction of travel, followed by a phone call to the police (totally legal in an emergency)
God help them if she's heading home while she's being followed and she stops in the main street alongside my vehicle. :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Jul 2022, 12:37 pm

JPG[/attachment]
IMG_0002 (1).JPG
IMG_0002 (1).JPG (198.9 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
Picked up a neat little Belgian 22 Trainer, very hard to find info on this model though. Action and bolt are the same as the FN 1912, and caliber is marked Flobert 6mm.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
IMG_0001 (2).JPG (158.51 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 14 Jul 2022, 2:30 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

That's totally f***ed.

I hope they catch up with him very soon.
Given they would have driven through traffic lights, many of which have video surveillance now, it's only a matter of time.

I hope she's not too distressed BP

My fiance also attracts undesirable attention due to her cautious driving.
She has been road raged close to home recently.
We have a plan ... she contacts me the moment something like that begins and tells me her location and direction of travel, followed by a phone call to the police (totally legal in an emergency)
God help them if she's heading home while she's being followed and she stops in the main street alongside my vehicle. :lol:

Thats terrible stuff. Is it a new thing this road rage? I lived in Bris on and off through the 90's and 2000's, traffic a bit faster than the country but no major differences. Recently did a few months work on the Gold coast and Bris...its like a different planet now. I got several agro people honking and carrying on while I was tootling along in a little suzuki jimny . Almost like they were attracted to the site of a smaller vehicle.

Funny thing was when they pulled alongside and saw a 125kg gorilla with low brow behind the wheel, theyd speed off. But it was truly bizarre in the first place. Is this the norm now?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 14 Jul 2022, 3:34 pm

mickb wrote:Thats terrible stuff. Is it a new thing this road rage? I lived in Bris on and off through the 90's and 2000's, traffic a bit faster than the country but no major differences. Recently did a few months work on the Gold coast and Bris...its like a different planet now. I got several agro people honking and carrying on while I was tootling along in a little suzuki jimny . Almost like they were attracted to the site of a smaller vehicle.

I don't know that I'd call it road rage exactly, but this morning I was behind a vehicle coming up to a red light. She was in the far right lane to go through the lights, but unknown to everybody else she actually wanted to be in the feeder lane to turn left. Instead of being sensible and intelligent and simply drive through, turn right 200m down the hill and come back to make a right turn at the lights, she started dancing on the horn. But with no indicators and no vehicles in front of her I had no idea what her problem was and I'm sure nobody else did either. While we were all still wondering she managed to squeeze her little beast across three lanes of traffic and turn left.

Love the Jimny, great little vehicle!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 14 Jul 2022, 5:15 pm

Meth, its everywhere on the roads
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jul 2022, 8:59 pm

mickb wrote:Is it a new thing this road rage? I

It's been around since Henry Ford began mass production of cars.

My father likes to remind me now and then of his messed up Vietnam veteran mate Bob who had a nasty habit of going burko at drivers, chasing them down and completely unloading on them regardless of who was in the car with him at the time... friends, wife, kids, mother ... no holding back.

It's the Bob's of the world that make retaliation a dangerous game.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 14 Jul 2022, 9:01 pm

Yeah but I dont really see it where I am, only when I venture into the larger southern metros.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 14 Jul 2022, 9:30 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

My father likes to remind me now and then of his messed up Vietnam veteran mate Bob who had a nasty habit of going burko at drivers, chasing them down and completely unloading on them regardless of who was in the car with him at the time... friends, wife, kids, mother ... no holding back.

Bob sounds like a right royal tosser who should have been in jail despite his service
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jul 2022, 7:43 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

Bob sounds like a right royal tosser who should have been in jail despite his service

He is a total wanker. He was equally horrible to his wife and kids.
Hopefully there's a special place in hell for people like him.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jul 2022, 12:43 am

Summer is in full swing here, the next few weeks are typically the hottest time of the year and then it will begin a gradual trend downward in temps.

I've been pretty busy doing various projects around the place, cleaning up brush, mowing, cutting back trees, putting in drainage. It is very dry right now, so all the creeks and streams have dried up.

Lots of wildlife around. I was making a fire the other day and a bobcat crossed the road a hundred feet away. A big male, I'd estimate at 20 kilos plus. Also a lot of bear and fox activity on the trail cams. I've also got 4 fawns around.

Also working on getting a lot of Youtube done while weather is good and dry.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mickb » 16 Jul 2022, 2:20 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

He is a total wanker. He was equally horrible to his wife and kids.
Hopefully there's a special place in hell for people like him.

A generation earlier the bobs of the world had to be lot more careful themselves. The WW2 generation was a different kettle of fish, half the male population new how to box or brawl, they were quieter, most looked the same, rangy, long trousers, sleeves rolled up , no tattoos or attitudes. You never knew which fella would be handing your teeth to you if you mouthed off. There were still dicks back then, but they needed to be very committed to the practice or hospital food one of the two :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jul 2022, 7:43 pm

Got up a little early this morning so fed the chickens and rabbits then off to the other paddock to feed and water the cows. Still dark when I got up there but I saw a group of cows all clustered around something, most likely an echidna I figured. A calf was down, legs in the air, neck arched back, tongue out, eyes rolled back, had to be already dead. About a dozen muzzles all pressed up against him from his concerned buddies (he's an orphan), but I pushed my way through and noticed his back toes were spasming. Tried to lift his head but his neck was rigid. I managed to squat and get my knees under his back and roll him him over. Once he had his feet under him he pushed himself to his feet and stood there swaying. Looked pretty dopey and his eyes were half closed but at least he was up, and staying up. I laid out the hay in the new paddock then let them through and he went with them. I walked down to the dam and pumped water up them them, reeled up yesterday's fence, then checked him out again. He wasn't getting stuck in like everybody else but he was taking small bites and getting them down. Might've been very lucky there.

Was coming back in the Landcruiser, just idling along in second, when a very nice fox popped out of the bush to dash across the track in front of me. He saw me and ducked back in through the fence and ran along in front of me. Tried to duck across about twenty-meters on and I was there again so he ducked in again. He did this several times for about 150m, until I finally over-took him and he stopped and sat in the grass. When I was about fifty-meters past I saw him in the mirror come out onto the track and sit watching me leave before finally heading off into the plantation. It never occurred to him to run backwards, away from the direction I was moving :-)

Rose got home from Bendigo just before dark so we went out to check them again. He's still looking a little lazy and dopey, but other than a runny bottom, he seems okay. Hopefully he's still okay tomorrow morning.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Jul 2022, 7:26 pm

The painting of my air rifle has been a bitch. The undercoat had to be done a couple of times, in between wet sanding, because runs persisted in the finish. Using a brush because there was some left-over metal primer that had not skinned-over. After a few days of this nonsense I could stand it no longer and decided to apply the topcoat, runs notwithstanding.
Halfway in to painting the compression chamber, hundreds of tiny bubbles appeared in the finish :o :shock: :? :cry:
I soldiered on, reasoning that I could wet sand through the bubbles the next morning and figure out what to do, when it had dried overnight. That night, Google advised me that air had entered the topcoat because yours truly had stirred the paint too vigorously. So obviously I wasn't going to give too much of a stir from then, on and I spent a restful night in bed :roll:
BUT....................the next morning, the paint, it was not dry :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: "Curses, foiled again", as Oilcan Harry used to say. So this arvo was spent scraping the sticky topcoat off with a knife.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Jul 2022, 2:35 am

bladeracer wrote:Got up a little early this morning so fed the chickens and rabbits then off to the other paddock to feed and water the cows. Still dark when I got up there but I saw a group of cows all clustered around something, most likely an echidna I figured. A calf was down, legs in the air, neck arched back, tongue out, eyes rolled back, had to be already dead. About a dozen muzzles all pressed up against him from his concerned buddies (he's an orphan), but I pushed my way through and noticed his back toes were spasming. Tried to lift his head but his neck was rigid. I managed to squat and get my knees under his back and roll him him over. Once he had his feet under him he pushed himself to his feet and stood there swaying. Looked pretty dopey and his eyes were half closed but at least he was up, and staying up. then checked him out again. He wasn't getting stuck in like everybody else but he was taking small bites and getting them down. Might've been very lucky there.

Rose got home from Bendigo just before dark so we went out to check them again. He's still looking a little lazy and dopey, but other than a runny bottom, he seems okay. Hopefully he's still okay tomorrow morning.

You got young bracken fern shoots popping up yet by any chance ????????????????
Sounds a bit like bracken fern poisoning to me.
If you have,,,, remove him/her from anywhere near bracken fern shoots.
It's like a drug,,,,, and those young calves affected will keep going back to it,,, until their demise.
There's only one cure for it,,,,,,,,,,, if you catch them in time.,,,,,,,,,,
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Jul 2022, 6:21 pm

20220730_174843.jpg
20220730_174843.jpg (183.48 KiB) Viewed 5457 times

Whacked out a sheath for my knife
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2022, 7:00 pm

Looks good.
Did you made the knife too? Got a pic?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation