What did you do today?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Lazarus » 13 Apr 2023, 8:52 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Am I the only one that's noticed that Lazarus seems to have a Time Machine ??
Going back up to the gut hook knife,,,,,,,,,,,,, Today is only 11/04/2023
:unknown:
:lol:

Say what now?

Going way back up this page to the 1st pic you posted of the "Gut Hook Knife", where you say,,,,,,,,,,
"I put the handle scales on a guthook utility knife. Waxing, polishing and the Kydex tomorrow."

Posted 02 Apr 2023

But the blade is Stamped/Etched/Engraved > 12.4.23

And when I posted saying you must have a time machine, it was still only 11/04/2023

OK, now I'm with you :clap:

Yes OB, birthday present, delivered yesterday and gifted last night.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2023, 3:08 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
Lazarus wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Am I the only one that's noticed that Lazarus seems to have a Time Machine ??
Going back up to the gut hook knife,,,,,,,,,,,,, Today is only 11/04/2023
:unknown:
:lol:

Say what now?

Going way back up this page to the 1st pic you posted of the "Gut Hook Knife", where you say,,,,,,,,,,
"I put the handle scales on a guthook utility knife. Waxing, polishing and the Kydex tomorrow."

Posted 02 Apr 2023

But the blade is Stamped/Etched/Engraved > 12.4.23

And when I posted saying you must have a time machine, it was still only 11/04/2023

OK, now I'm with you :clap:

Yes OB, birthday present, delivered yesterday and gifted last night.

Good onya Laz
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 13 Apr 2023, 5:01 pm

Today I took my AyA sxs boxlock ejector shotgun in to sell. Soon I'll be taking in my winchester model 70 featherweight 358w and my cz 550 .308 in to sell,and my dikar 50 cal. Why ? Because I don't need them,my hunting is slowing down a lot,and I want a howa superlite lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2023, 5:14 pm

I've been all revved up to shoot the ANZAC shoot with LERAA since the February shoot. Got everything all sorted and ready to go. Had my daughter and four kids here this week, which was pretty awesome. Unfortunately, my daughter has been carrying a cold for a couple weeks and on Wednesday I felt the first indications of it. By last night it was already looking unlikely I'd be up for a nine-hour drive today, but I was hopeful. Woke up early this morning feeling pretty awful so went back to bed. Got up a couple times to top up with water and felt worse each time. Spent the day in bed, still hoping to sleep through it, wake up tonight and drive through the night to shoot tomorrow, but I'm still on the downhill side of it so it'll be at least a couple more days before I start improving. Oh, well :-)

Will have to be the May shoot now.
Attachments
340993079_945102996533684_4028415788185160024_n.jpg
340993079_945102996533684_4028415788185160024_n.jpg (265.89 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2023, 5:44 pm

Young grand kids are great. Have fun hand them back when the tears start or there is a sh1tty nappy. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2023, 6:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Young grand kids are great. Have fun hand them back when the tears start or there is a sh1tty nappy. :D

Yes, they are good fun, when they're not running amok :-)
The little bloke's attempts at patting the cows were not successful, charging at them screaming doesn't really work :-)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-11 114732.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-11 114732.jpg (302.06 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Apr 2023, 7:25 pm

Commiserations, bladeracer.
On the subject of kids, 4 grandchildren will descend on our place tomorrow. We can get through this :sarcasm:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Apr 2023, 10:52 pm

Not little ones,,,,,,,,, but I've got a visit coming up from the far opposite (Broome) side of Australia in the next week.
Daughter and partner, plus twin 14 yo boys.
And they all wanna go shooting. :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Apr 2023, 8:46 am

Die Judicii wrote:Not little ones,,,,,,,,, but I've got a visit coming up from the far opposite (Broome) side of Australia in the next week.
Daughter and partner, plus twin 14 yo boys.
And they all wanna go shooting. :clap:

You raised them right mate :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Apr 2023, 11:01 am

Screenshot_20230415-102925_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230415-102925_Gallery.jpg (741.97 KiB) Viewed 4275 times

Took my lad and my fishing pole down to the river before the supposed storm hits us...... :allegedly:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 15 Apr 2023, 9:32 pm

reblued a barrel on a rifle I'm tidying up been tru oiling the stack through the week as well.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 16 Apr 2023, 9:43 pm

Not today but yesterday drove all the way down to Geelong to pick up some pistol powder , never been there before and wow that big Pier they got with the restaurant on the end of it you can even drive your car out onto it and go fishing fantastic idea even seen a few nice eating size snapper being caught.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 Apr 2023, 7:46 am

Screenshot_20230418-071446_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230418-071446_Gallery.jpg (527 KiB) Viewed 4195 times

Went and slayed a heap more stinky carp with my fishing pole last night. Ended up with 27 lost 6. Best fun ever except using an atlatl
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Apr 2023, 8:22 am

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_20230418-071446_Gallery.jpg

Went and slayed a heap more stinky carp with my fishing pole last night. Ended up with 27 lost 6. Best fun ever except using an atlatl

:thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 18 Apr 2023, 8:18 pm

bigpete wrote:Went and slayed a heap more stinky carp with my fishing pole last night. Ended up with 27 lost 6. Best fun ever except using an atlatl

Good riddance! Pity you can't combine the two....

Sunday I took the rifle for a walk. Had high hopes as it had been freezing cold and raining for a few days,but I missed the first sun that showed. Saw nothing other than a heap of wallabies and a lone wombat. Played hide and seek with one wallaby, managed to get within about 20m quite a few times over a 100m and half hour of sneaking along. Don't know if it was half blind, stupid or just happy to see me but everything else took a hike as soon as it saw/smelt me.

IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4723.JPG (399.05 KiB) Viewed 4173 times

Ended up sitting looking over a couple of side gullies as I've seen a few sambar in this area and I was not far from a fallow scrape that has been worked in the past (not this year though?).

IMG_4724.JPG
IMG_4724.JPG (513.2 KiB) Viewed 4173 times

Not much beats the smell of a damp peppermint gully :thumbsup:

Also picked up a PLB, been meaning to for a while but finally got my A into G. Got a few days off coming up, first in a few months so looking forward to hitting the hills again :D :D :D
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2023, 9:49 pm

Did u see the "spotted python" in your pic ?
Bottom, and slightly right of the tree in front of the wallaby.

:lol: :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2023, 12:15 am

Flyonline wrote:
bigpete wrote:Went and slayed a heap more stinky carp with my fishing pole last night. Ended up with 27 lost 6. Best fun ever except using an atlatl

Good riddance! Pity you can't combine the two....

Have dine before. Not game to in this spot as its kind of in suburbia
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 19 Apr 2023, 9:43 am

Not what I did, but what I'm going to do.

My landlord's son got four pigs on this part of the place last night, two in the house paddock :shock:

I've been so busy with knife jobs I haven't been more than 100m from the house for weeks, except for supply runs to town.

Time to load some Rexem F-Bombs and get nocturnal.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Flyonline » 21 Apr 2023, 6:22 am

Die Judicii wrote:Did u see the "spotted python" in your pic ?
Bottom, and slightly right of the tree in front of the wallaby.

:lol: :lol:

Ha, missed that! Bit cold though :lol:

bigpete wrote:
Have dine before. Not game to in this spot as its kind of in suburbia

Fair 'nuff. At least bowfishing has been re-unoutlawed in NSW. Picked up a fishing arrow and reel with the intention of heading across the border to 'morica but that hasn't happened yet :wtf:

Rescued this little guy yesterday. What with another large one at work, and the two I nearly stood on last weekend they're still kicking around.

IMG_4736.JPG
IMG_4736.JPG (132.13 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 21 Apr 2023, 8:49 pm

Today AM

Hit the local creek with my new-to-me 2wt glass fly rod with the intention of seeing if the trout are in pre-spawn mode i.e. gathering in pairs and moving into the shallower parts making the bigger fish easier to target.

Ended up seeing a stack of small fish, landed heaps to 25cm and missed/deliberately didn't strike heaps more tiddlers. Also got to watch a pair of 25-30cm jacks at the bottom of a riffle argue it out over who was going to hold the best spot. Never seen that before, so managed to get a couple of short videos. Had a bit of excitement when I reached a large pool that used to hold a serious mumma in previous years (holes have changed since the floods, mostly silted up more now :cry: ). The usual smaller fish were moving around in the shallows but I watched a pair of 40odd cm jacks push each other around and missed one when I ripped a baitfish imitation through in front of them. It was funny watching the smaller fish (40 - 150mm) move around the big uns - kinda like sharks and ball of baitfish. The tilddlers were frantic, with the bigger fish somewhat nervous. Was also surprised to pass over what I'm guessing was fallow droppings. I've seen evidence of sambar and seen them in the flesh higher up, but never anything so small.

IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4744.JPG (383.85 KiB) Viewed 4091 times

IMG_4743.JPG
IMG_4743.JPG (381.46 KiB) Viewed 4091 times

PM

Pulled the pin and headed home to pick up the rifle and headed out to some new ground for me about 2pm. Was second guessing myself when I got there and found it to be much drier and rockier than anticipated and the wind switched 180 degrees on the walk down the ridge. Hit the bottom and headed up the gully with the light wind behind me. Not good :x Still, I pushed on sure it would eventually swing as soon as the sun dipped behind the ridge above. After maybe half an hour or so the wind died, neither up nor down gully. My confidence increased greatly after I picked up a bit of sign with blackberry patches and dogwood and wattle brush providing cover higher up on the sides and in the minor feeder gullies. Shortly after I bumped a wallaby that crashed off so I pushed on although I was just about to pull up for a spell and a bit of a wait 'n' see. 20m later I heard the familiar gadump of a large quadraped taking off. I caught movement and just picked up the shape of a mature sambar trotting off with a yearling 20 steps behind. A quick toot on the hind caller stopped the yearling, but unfortunately it was facing directly away from me, not giving me a shot I was happy to take. I propped on the ground and threw up the rifle, but my footing was not great and I was in a very awkward position. After a minute or two of stalemate, I gave another quick toot in the hope of getting it to at least turn broadside so I had an ethical shot. I must have sounded like it's mum telling it to clean it's room as it waited a second before racing off behind the thick brush 50m away. Bugger it!

IMG_4749.JPG
IMG_4749.JPG (511.06 KiB) Viewed 4091 times

Giving it up thinking I'd busted everything I took 3 steps before a flash of movement and another deer turned and bolted. My initial reaction was a fallow, but when I crossed the deep and desperate tracks they were too large for a fallow. Shaking my head and hopefully learning my lesson not to assume they'd all gone (again :thumbsdown: ) I pushed on slowly through the dogwood and wattle on the side of the gully just above the floor.

Moving on another 100m, I could hear something racing down the opposite side towards me, and shortly after a wallaby charged into view, crossed the floor and up my side passing about 30m behind me without stopping. Briefly pausing in case something big and hungry or angry was following it, I kept making my way to the junction of three minor gullies at the top. Reaching yet another patch of dogwood I heard another deer crash off above me. Still, at least they're here!

Reaching the junction I stopped and found a fallen tree to rest on with a branch in front of me to use as a rest in case something walked across the clearing some 50m in front and below me. Anything with 4 legs was in danger, fox, deer, goat or pig it didn't matter :problem: I could hear something scrunching around on the opposite face, but after hearing it move a few times I'm certain it was a wallaby or kangaroo.

As the twilight turned to dusk I was able to witness the comings and goings and family squabbles of the inevitable gray fantails, scrub wrens, tree-creepers and other small bush birds. Pulling the pin I made my way slowly up the steep face, pausing briefly to backtrack a set of very fresh hind and calf prints which were headed downhill at a run - I'm guessing probably pushed by my arrival earlier.

Reaching home I was glad to grab a beer and take a break as I'd covered a fair bit of ground. Now if only I was legally able to carry a rifle while fishing that creek I'd have it made :roll:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Apr 2023, 7:42 am

That sounds like a great day Flyonline !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Apr 2023, 11:06 pm

Took the time today to do some soundproofing in my prado i have already done the doors pulled the hood linning out and went to work.

Its made a huge diffrence alot quieter just the floor left now job for another day.

Thinking of heading to the range tommorow so many decisions lol.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 23 Apr 2023, 9:13 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Took the time today to do some soundproofing in my prado i have already done the doors pulled the hood linning out and went to work.

Its made a huge diffrence alot quieter just the floor left now job for another day.

Thinking of heading to the range tommorow so many decisions lol.

sound proofing :wtf: i just turn up the led zepplin in my prado...... :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Flyonline » 23 Apr 2023, 1:48 pm

bigrich wrote:
sound proofing :wtf: i just turn up the led zepplin in my prado...... :lol:

Yep, if you can't hear it over the radio/music it ain't a problem.....yet :lol: :lol:

bigpete wrote:That sounds like a great day Flyonline !

Thanks, sure was. In planning now for tomorrows adventures.... :allegedly: :drinks:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Apr 2023, 2:29 pm

Today I wrote a list of things to do this week while I'm on holidays.....will be interesting to see how many I cross off !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 25 Apr 2023, 4:15 am

I got cooked in my own juices.

I was hundreds of miles from home and my car started running hot which is unusual.

Back in the winter I spent $3k on the car going through it replacing any potential mechanical problems. While in there replacing pulleys, belts, etc. I said to the mechanic, hey we should replace the water pump and thermostat as these commonly fail on these Audis and he said no it should be fine. Big mistake, should have listened to my instincts.

Once I got the car back to the hotel running it slow with the windows down and heat totally on, I looked it over. No obvious coolant leaks, car would run at 1200-1300 rpm without overheating, so I drove it at 48 mph. Appears to be thermostat but its buried below the supercharger, so not a side of the road job.

Had 350 miles to get back home and the weather was unseasonably warm, about 35C. Had to drive it at 48 mph with the heat on full blast the whole way.

Long story short it took 11 hours to get home and I consumed 2 gallons of fluid. Soaked through my clothes with sweat. Miserable experience.

Anyways glad to be home, I already got the parts shipped to me.

Now it is spring and weather is warming up, green stuff is leafing out on the trees, grass is growing.

I have a whole lot of projects to do, 9mm, 300 Blackout, etc. Looking forward to getting out and doing some shooting this week. I have that video series on rural property security I want to do so I have that in the pipeline among other things.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 25 Apr 2023, 7:30 am

Started work on 2 axe masks and a sheath for my 14" Old Hickory machete yesterday,plus spent some time at the local bird hide.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Apr 2023, 10:54 pm

Well not today, but over the last few days,,,
I've had my youngest daughter, her twin 14 yo boys and her partner come over for a visit from Far Nth WA.
The last time they were here the boys were only 9 yo.
Back then, I taught them how to shoot tins with the air rifle.
But,,,,, in between then and now, they've never had a chance to shoot anything.

This visit, they all were as keen as mustard to have a go.
So I started them off on the .22rf bolt action.
Again, they were as awkward as most pretty much raw beginners are, and scared of the impending "bang" and "recoil" that they had obviously
heard about from the typical non shooting fraternity.
After a bit of coaxing and honest explanations they each had a go,, and I was rewarded with the typical beginners smiles of satisfaction.
Then after half a dozen shots each the tuition fell into place,,,,, and they were hitting the targets impressively.
Once that was over and done with I gave them each several magazines full through the .22 semi which only gave them bigger grins.

After that I graduated them up to the .223 which impressed them greatly,,,, especially with the resultant sprays of exploding ice from frozen
cans of water.
They in turn impressed me greatly with surprisingly good accuracy.
In between all of this my daughter and her partner were having turns as well, and I'm so proud of her for keeping the tuition I'd given her over the
years,,, by soundly beating her partner for accuracy.

To top off a few very enjoyable days,,, I finished up by giving them all (including the boys) a few hours behind a .308 and the 12g semi.
An experience which I explained was probably never to be topped due to the legislative restrictions,,,, along with educating them about
the madman that caused the restrictions in the first place.

I believe education coupled with sensible practices is the key to our firearms future,, and I enjoyed doing it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 28 Apr 2023, 5:48 pm

Bought 10 000 small pistol primers to go with the powder I bought a couple of weeks ago also have 1000 9 mm cases on their way to things are looking up 8-)
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 28 Apr 2023, 5:52 pm

deye243 wrote:Bought 10 000 small pistol primers to go with the powder I bought a couple of weeks ago also have 1000 9 mm cases on their way to things are looking up 8-)

Didn't your mother tell you it's rude to brag in front of the impoverished Deye :lol:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation