Big Deal

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Big Deal

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2021, 8:34 pm

It was on tonight ABC ch2 8.30. Available now on iview.
Prt 2 on again same time next week.

Who watched it?

I always knew big business gets a say through donations to our political parties but the amounts are eye watering. There must be huge conflicts of interests.

Im just glad I've been mainly voting for independents or pro shooting for about 20 years now.

What are your thoughts?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Big Deal

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Oct 2021, 12:40 pm

G'day Oldbloke,
This is how it has always been, around the world and throughout history rich merchants and businesses have strongly influenced political decision as well as military decisions. A friend of mine at our club is former USAF and at one point was Liaison Officer for them with business interests, the tales he tells are nothing short of gut wrenching regarding corruption and influence. Like locating NATO air bases against tactical reasons to cater to McDonalds and Coca-Colas demands to maximise sales. Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 20 Oct 2021, 1:39 pm

Maybe this type of corruption or whatever you want to call it, is as old as Methuselah. And will be probably, be continuing well after we have all gone.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by albat » 20 Oct 2021, 9:26 pm

Icac is going alright, its bailed up a few dodgy pollies taking a bung here and there, dodgy darrell got reamed and gladys " i knew nothing" is about to go the same way, anyhow all pollies are on the take no matter which country you live in period
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Oct 2021, 9:44 pm

So last election the LNP raised 165ml from donations and ALP 126ml. Most of it is never disclosed.

Mostly big business wanting "favours".

Eye watering stuff.

https://fb.watch/8LKVW4mfPf/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 20 Oct 2021, 10:24 pm

old news, old as time
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 21 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm

Yes just look at Twiggy Forrest there's somebody that needs to be locked up for treason if he had his way Australia would be China's latest acquisition and brightest Jewel in their Crown .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bah! » 22 Oct 2021, 9:54 pm

Twiggy need to be locked up for at least a 100 reasons and treason would be the last for me.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 22 Oct 2021, 11:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:So last election the LNP raised 165ml from donations and ALP 126ml. Most of it is never disclosed.

Mostly big business wanting "favours".

Eye watering stuff.

https://fb.watch/8LKVW4mfPf/

Mate what this does not include is the bankrolling done by unions and organisations like getup. Innings will actually pay for advertising and provide free labour to the time of millions of dollars

Regarding twiggy,
what's wrong with someone saying we should stop kicking the country that feeds, clothes and builds us and who is our biggest customer and supplier.
What's wrong with an Australian who is buying vast amounts farming land from foreign owners.
What's wrong with an Australian that saved Australian manufacturing (eg RM Williams) from dying and bought it from overseas interests back to Australia.
What's wrong with an Australian that employs thousands of Australians directly and tens of thousands indirectly.
What's wrong with an Australian that donated over 2 billion dollars to Australian causes including the Victorian bushfire. Infact I remember him saying that arsonists and the high fuel load were the
More likely cause of bushfires... and not just climate change. Something most people here would agree.

So why the hate, or is it the world famous Australian tall poppy syndrome at play for all the hate.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2021, 5:24 am

I'm also puzzled. Seems to me twiggy is better than most. I'm sure he is far from innocent though.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 23 Oct 2021, 7:54 am

CZ: so you're saying labor figures would actually be higher if you include that other stuff?

But don't forget, getup "is not affiliated and does not support any particular political party"-yeah, right!

It's been a while, but a few years ago I looked into Twiggy Forest a bit as I was applying for job with one of his mines. At that time I came away fairly impressed with the guy. He seemed to care for people, our country, disadvantaged people etc. I certainly haven't stayed on top of what he has said or done since, but from what I gathered about him and the other things he's done I wonder if comments he has made about China might be more along the lines of don't continually criticise the country while continuing to buy off them, or manufacture the stuff here and then criticize type thing. Like I said though, I haven't even heard the comments, that's just the vibe I've got about the guy
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bah! » 23 Oct 2021, 8:23 am

What is wrong with a guy that spent millions trying to get one indigenous group too underMINE another, just to get him easier access to some dirt?

What is wrong with a guy that splashes his cash around to look good and generous but really just ought to pay some tax?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 23 Oct 2021, 9:35 am

Far out so you saying he should pay more tax and not do charitable things. Or atleast pay more tax... which means he will have less money so likely less spent on charity.

Well firstly a huge lot of his income comes from dividends and FMG already pays tax on that income. A lot of this income he invests in new companies helping them along and growing Australian jobs and ofcourse charity.... and any tax deductions due to legally claimable.

In short whatever he does is legally allowed by the tax laws in Australia.

If you remember Kerry Packers famous speech.

When I do my tax return I try to minimise my tax... and i say everyone here does that.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 23 Oct 2021, 12:54 pm

For once I firmly agree with CZ, Having met Twiggy and having a few ex school cohort members now working in his upper levels of FMG hierarchy I can say that their opinion and my own of the guy is someone who genuinely gives a s**t if Aussie jobs succeed and if Aussie families can get ahead. As for tax dodging, no one technically can, the ones that do always get caught, even those suspected of it get raked over the coals, I can guarantee him and those like him have paid more tax than you ever will and thusly have contributed more to the country than you ever will Bah!, and further more did so not out of a mandate but of their own free will and ambition.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bah! » 23 Oct 2021, 3:10 pm

cz515 wrote:Far out so you saying he should pay more tax and not do charitable things. Or atleast pay more tax... which means he will have less money so likely less spent on charity.

Well firstly a huge lot of his income comes from dividends and FMG already pays tax on that income. A lot of this income he invests in new companies helping them along and growing Australian jobs and ofcourse charity.... and any tax deductions due to legally claimable.

When I do my tax return I try to minimise my tax... and i say everyone here does that.

Philanthropy allows him to decide how he wants money spent, on things that even suit him, ie; cancer research. Tax spending prioritises the whole population.

Big difference between someone spending millions to avoid billions and someone claiming an extra set of work clothes.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 23 Oct 2021, 3:38 pm

Pay more tax? The government blows enough tax dollars as it is to all the lazy on their welfare and healthcare.

It is lawful to pay no tax and the tax law is the same for everybody. Some people take full advantage of it and some people don't. It irks me when people show jealously at other peoples wealth instead of creating their own.

Twiggy is a knob for sucking up to china. How much tax he pays is between him, the ATO and his many accountants.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 23 Oct 2021, 3:45 pm

bah! wrote:
cz515 wrote:Far out so you saying he should pay more tax and not do charitable things. Or atleast pay more tax... which means he will have less money so likely less spent on charity.

Philanthropy allows him to decide how he wants money spent, on things that even suit him, ie; cancer research. Tax spending prioritises the whole population.

Big difference between someone spending millions to avoid billions and someone claiming an extra set of work clothes.

I think if someone is a major financial contributor to the economy and employment market they should have as much say as they like where their money goes, hell I have paid more tax than most people I know through my 20s and into mid 30s to think that a mountain of that has gone to welfare and failed infrastructure and politicians public masturbation displays is utterly appalling.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Return to Off topic - General conversation