Who suffers Insomnia ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Who suffers Insomnia ?

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Oct 2021, 10:59 pm

Just wondering who suffers from the above mentioned ?
I myself do not according to the true definition,, as once in the sack I usually nod off very quickly.
However,,,, what I have had plague me for most of my life, especially in latter years is a built in aversion of actually doing so.
I cannot bring myself to climb into the sack early, even when I have nothing else to do.
Instead, I find myself doing anything I possibly can to put it off.

Anyone else have this problem ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Who suffers Insomnia ?

Post by bladeracer » 25 Oct 2021, 11:48 pm

Not exactly, but I don't have a pattern of sleep. When I'm tired I go to sleep, regardless of what time of day it is, and I wake when I've had enough sleep. This has been since 1999 so is rarely a problem anymore, we've learned to work around it. I slept through most of '99 to mid '02 due to illness.

I do have periods of it being impossible to get to sleep regardless of how exhausted I am, I have episodes where I'm awake for 40+ hours, and episodes where I'm asleep for just as long. But most of the time I sleep well. I'm also a great dreamer :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Oct 2021, 12:20 am

Nothing wrong with dreaming literally,,,,, or otherwise.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Oct 2021, 12:41 am

Die Judicii wrote:Nothing wrong with dreaming literally,,,,, or otherwise.

A lot of my sleep is spent in combat, which can get exhausting. I have places I regularly visit in dreams that don't exist in reality, various hills and valleys, roads, forests, deserts, city and suburban blocks, and such. It's unusual for me to discover somewhere new in a dream, and when I do it gets added to the filing system.

I was paying some guide bloke to take me out into some dense bush somewhere a few weeks back. Don't know where but the local lingo was a mix of Spanish and Italian. Very poor region. We were going looking for a crash site of a WW2 aircraft I'd heard about. We were preparing to leave this little town when some bandits decided they liked the stuff we were loading on the Landcruiser, shots were exchanged and I took two handguns off them. Both were very interesting designs I hadn't seen before (as they don't exist). I woke up, grabbed some paper and drew them before I forgot them. I also drew the town and the house where this took place.

One pistol had a magazine that slid in the rear of the slide. But it had a 6rd .22LR revolver cylinder in the forward end of this magazine. So the cylinder was enclosed within the slide, and it didn't have to eject any brass. It was hammer-fired, with the hammer coming up through a slot in the bottom of the "magazine", so I had to cock it before I could eject the magazine. It was pretty neat :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 26 Oct 2021, 5:32 am

Yes I suffer insomnia at times. Also have sleep apnoea. Even sleeping pills sometimes won't work,my brain simply is used to me being tired and still having to stay awake and harvest those wonderful,glorious grapes.... :roll:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 26 Oct 2021, 6:15 am

I did when I was a young man I worked lots of hours and didn't have a normal schedule I would go 3 days without sleep then crash out for about 16 hours and hurt from staying in one position to long
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 26 Oct 2021, 8:07 am

Me? I am a light and erratic sleeper. That's just me, I guess. :huh:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 26 Oct 2021, 8:23 am

Stop drinking coffee. Go for a 10km hike with the misses after dinner and getup at 6am to walk the dogs then go for hunting. I find that cures all insomnia.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 26 Oct 2021, 3:04 pm

I've got the opposite. "Outsomnia" I should call it. Constantly tied and sleepy, and can fall sleep anywhere if I want. Spent 18 months making maps for dep of defence, so working on computers all day. Most of the time I was fighting to stay awake or asleep, and working there was when this got real bad. Bizarrely, I got an award for my work there!!

I often had trouble sleeping when I was younger, but these days I just lay down and I'm out in no time normally. I'm guessing it's thanks to Ross river fever and glandular fever when I was 18.

Never fall asleep or feel sleepy while driving though. I guess because I'm doing something. Thankful for that
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 26 Oct 2021, 6:40 pm

Normal bed time 3-4 am last night 5 am up at 8-9 and that,s cause the Dr has me on Dormizol 10 mg (Zoipidem Tart) sleeping pill other wise I am up at 6 am .
I put it down to a life time of working shifts it can affect relationships tho.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 26 Oct 2021, 8:00 pm

Shift worker here, always have been. I run on about 5 to 6 hours of sleep with occasional bouts of 7 or 8.

I tend to find its not an inability to go to sleep, but that theres so many things I've yet to read and learn about. Yeah, the internet doesn't help. I stay disconnected until its evening time or I'd be forever reading/watching something.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by wanneroo » 26 Oct 2021, 11:59 pm

They say there are some people that perform better going to bed later and getting up later.

I've tried at different times to be an early morning person and it's never been my thing. Although when I work on average about 10 days a months, on those days I have to get up at 0615 and due to the intense day I am usually ready for bed by 2130-2200.

Best thing I find to make me tired is exercise, lifting weights, swimming, bike riding, kayaking, etc. A good day of that will put me out.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Robin » 27 Oct 2021, 6:53 am

I don't suffer Insomnia altho if I did, then xmass would only be 2 sleeps away lol.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 27 Oct 2021, 7:46 am

I sleep good but often when I I wake up all the pillows, sheets and blankets are on the floor so I don't know what happens when I sleep. I can drink a strong cup of coffee or a can of coke and go straight to bed as the caffeine does not keep me awake.

My prostate is good as I do not need to go to the water closet during the night.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 27 Oct 2021, 9:47 am

Well I am not a nothing person. Don't like getting up before 8.30...if only the world let me, we have compromised for it to be 7am.

I find it depends if I have a busy and active work day...I am asleep or ready by 9pm. Otherwise if there is something to watch then I can be up till 12.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 27 Oct 2021, 10:34 pm

I suffered it for years. Couldn't go to sleep,or would sleep for 3 hrs, then wake up thinking abut work etc.
When I slept, I was a chronic snorer as well and woke 3 or 4 times for a piss. That played on my mind,and exacerbated the situation.
When I got up each morning I had horrid headaches in the back half of my head.
Has sleep study, started using cpap machine and sleep like a baby for 8hrs every night now - and usually zero or 1 pee break and no headaches
Feel like Im 10 yrs younger in the head now.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 28 Oct 2021, 5:08 am

Faedy wrote:I suffered it for years. Couldn't go to sleep,or would sleep for 3 hrs, then wake up thinking abut work etc.
When I slept, I was a chronic snorer as well and woke 3 or 4 times for a piss. That played on my mind,and exacerbated the situation.
When I got up each morning I had horrid headaches in the back half of my head.
Has sleep study, started using cpap machine and sleep like a baby for 8hrs every night now - and usually zero or 1 pee break and no headaches
Feel like Im 10 yrs younger in the head now.

This is me in a tea cup. Although I had a terrible nights sleep last night thanks to my ex causing problems. How hard is it to take care of your own son for for one day so his dad can go be a pall bearer at his grandfsthers funeral ffs :roll:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Hardcast » 13 Jan 2022, 3:16 pm

Yep, always have been a poor sleeper, even when I was doing Day / Night shift rotations in a Semi tipper. 5 x 12 hr nights for a fortnight, then 5 x 12 hr days plus 8 hrs on Saturday, for a fortnight. The change over usually took three days to get used to, with poor sleep.
Even now, having been retired for ten years I have broken sleep for 4 or 5 nights then a good sleep ( 6 hours) then back to crap again.
If I could get 5 hours straight every night, I'd be a happy man.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Jan 2022, 6:01 pm

I sleep like a baby, never have a drama. My father would tell me in the early years of the war before he got drafted he would sleep standing up in the air raid shelters as he was so tired and they were packed in like sardines.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 13 Jan 2022, 6:32 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Just wondering who suffers from the above mentioned ?
I myself do not according to the true definition,, as once in the sack I usually nod off very quickly.
However,,,, what I have had plague me for most of my life, especially in latter years is a built in aversion of actually doing so.
I cannot bring myself to climb into the sack early, even when I have nothing else to do.

I'm a bit like that. Like to enjoy my evenings winding down and watching TV. As far as I'm concerned, once you lie in bed, the day is over. If I have an early start, I can't go to bed early, I just have less sleep. I used to go to bed at 10:30 and get up at 6. Now I go to bed around 11 and get up at 5:30. That's time in bed but like this morning, awoke 4:38 thinking about work and probably took till 11:30 to get to sleep. Apparently I snore a lot and sometimes I dream I'm suffocating and try to wake myself up in my dreams.
I think it probably explains the bags under my eyes!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2022, 6:55 pm

Lsfan wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Just wondering who suffers from the above mentioned ?

I'm a bit like that. Like to enjoy my evenings winding down and watching TV. As far as I'm concerned, once you lie in bed, the day is over. If I have an early start, I can't go to bed early, I just have less sleep. I used to go to bed at 10:30 and get up at 6. Now I go to bed around 11 and get up at 5:30. That's time in bed but like this morning, awoke 4:38 thinking about work and probably took till 11:30 to get to sleep. Apparently I snore a lot and sometimes I dream I'm suffocating and try to wake myself up in my dreams.
I think it probably explains the bags under my eyes!

That sounds like the perfect situation for CPAP, have you tried it? I trialled it years ago with no result, but it can be life changing when it works. I did a 24hr sleep test as well. Every time you fall asleep the monitoring staff wake you up after five minutes. That was a bloody nightmare!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 13 Jan 2022, 7:28 pm

No I haven't BR, but starting to wonder if I should. I don't often remember any dreams but I have a feeling the suffocation is a frequent one. I have this recollection of thrashing my head side to side trying to wake myself up. It's weird because there's some part of me that must be conscious.
I've heard the sleep tests have you covered in many sensors making it very difficult?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 13 Jan 2022, 7:40 pm

Honestly,give it a try,I think you'll find it will work wonders !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm

Lsfan wrote:No I haven't BR, but starting to wonder if I should. I don't often remember any dreams but I have a feeling the suffocation is a frequent one. I have this recollection of thrashing my head side to side trying to wake myself up. It's weird because there's some part of me that must be conscious.
I've heard the sleep tests have you covered in many sensors making it very difficult?

Yes the sleep test was brutal, but you are so damned exhausted that falling asleep is easy, only to be woken again after five minutes of sleep. They wanted me to read a book while I was awake, just to make sure I was fully awake before letting me sleep again. They didn't learn anything helpful from it either. Sensors stuck all over the skull and upper torso, and cameras around the room. No more uncomfortable than sleeping in the driver's seat of a Barina :-)

The CPAP is easy, it's just a small air pump you put beside the bed connected to a mask. It tries to keep your airway open through very small positive pressure. Might be uncomfortable initially but you quickly adapt. I think I trialled it for six weeks from memory.

I've also worn other gadgets for 24hr periods to monitor my heart. Personally, I think we should all be wearing these things 24/7 so we can see problems coming before they become problems. Like having an oil pressure warning light on the dash. I'm sure it's not far away.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 13 Jan 2022, 7:53 pm

It's funny how we neglect our health. Talking about it briefly here has made me realise I've got a problem!
I was looking at the machines since this has come up. Looks like they're around $1k to buy, but I could buy a new rifle with that money.
Seriously though, I may look into this based on the wisdom of you folk.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jan 2022, 8:34 pm

Lsfan wrote:It's funny how we neglect our health. Talking about it briefly here has made me realise I've got a problem!
I was looking at the machines since this has come up. Looks like they're around $1k to buy, but I could buy a new rifle with that money.

I think they were about $600 when I was looking at it, and it was a fair whack even then. I don't recall there being any fees for the trial, maybe a deposit. If you find it works though it'll be worth the spend.

Fitness and weight are also major contributors to poor sleep, so you could spend that money getting out into the bush more as well. At least it's more fun than a diet and exercise regime ;-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 13 Jan 2022, 8:50 pm

Lsfan wrote:It's funny how we neglect our health. Talking about it briefly here has made me realise I've got a problem!

In my case it was either get a cpap or die in a car accident or something. I was that bad my doctor threatened to get my drivers licence revoked if I didn't do something about it. But once I was on one,and got used to it.....it was life changing
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 13 Jan 2022, 9:01 pm

bigpete you made the right choice :thumbsup:

my mum pushed herself a little too much and then attempted a 5hr drive late in the day, feel asleep at the wheel, left the road a 100kmh clipped a metre wide gumtree which would have killed her if she had been 6 inch to the left, broke her wrist from impact and woke up dazed in a cow paddock.

Diagnosed with sleep apneoa and has since thrived after using a Cpap machine, yearly monitoring is part of her NSW license conditions.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 13 Jan 2022, 9:04 pm

Bill wrote:bigpete you made the right choice :thumbsup:

my mum pushed herself a little too much and then attempted a 5hr drive late in the day, feel asleep at the wheel, left the road a 100kmh clipped a metre wide gumtree which would have killed her if she had been 6 inch to the left, broke her wrist from impact and woke up dazed in a cow paddock.

Diagnosed with sleep apneoa and has since thrived after using a Cpap machine, yearly monitoring is part of her NSW license conditions.

Oh,I know.
The writing had been on the wall for me for years. Work exacerbated it. It got to the point that I'd have to stop for a nap on the way to work....which was 20 minutes away at the time
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lsfan » 13 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm

I find the most satisfying sleeps are those on the couch in the middle of the day on a weekend for about 10 minutes.
I don't find myself likely to fall asleep behind the wheel but do lack motivation a lot of the time. I'm not overweight but could do with some exercise to physically tire myself.
Anyway, enough about me!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation