Auto lpg gas tank info ??

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Auto lpg gas tank info ??

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Oct 2021, 9:57 pm

Are there any members here that have knowledge on Auto LPG tanks and shut off solenoids/valves ?
Especially early models ?
I have a vehicle (non goer) that has a tank in the boot,,, and I have no idea if it has gas in it or not.
I removed the cover from over what I thought would be a simple on/off valve,,,,,,,, but it's not what I was expecting.

Anyone that has knowledge of such,,,, I can send a pic of the unit.

I need to either safely shut the tank off,,,,,, or otherwise safely and slowly drain whatever is in the tank,,, out in the open air.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Auto lpg gas tank info ??

Post by scoot » 27 Oct 2021, 5:06 am

Behind the cover should be an electric shut-off solenoid, a manual shut off tap and a guage. Turning off the manual tap will isolate the tank.
BTW technically it's a no no to "work" on an LPG system without the correct licensing. A bit like A/C.
Simply turning off the tank though isn't considered repairing or modifying the system.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Oct 2021, 11:54 am

Thanks Scoot,,,,,
Mine doesn't appear to be as you describe.
PM coming
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 27 Oct 2021, 3:57 pm

Are you going to remove the tank?

I've never seen one personally without some sort of manual shut off. Normally just screw it in to isolate the tank.

I "have a friend" who regularly works on lpg at home. "His" mechanic is great and just checks over the work to ensure it's safe come rego time etc, but he is trusted by the mechanic to do a good job. Not to mention there are a lot of cowboy mechanics so if you have 2 brain cells to rub together you can generally do as good or better job than they would.

Venting to the atmosphere is all mechanics do come tank inspection time from what I've seen. I'm not comfortable with it, but doing it on a windy day will be fine if you go slow.

How old is it?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Oct 2021, 6:17 pm

Stu,,,,,,,,,,,
It's approx 15 yo (that I've owned it) and in the boot of a vintage car.
When I bought the car there was NO boot key.
Couldn't open the boot via the back seat because the bloody gas tank was blocking access.

Have tried numerous keys over the years and failed.
Not being a high priority time passed (I'm a patient man)

Just recently I found access to a NOS boot lock assembly,,,,, so I drilled the original one out.

But as previously said,,, there is no manual shut off valve on the tank,, and I do want to remove the tank.

At this stage I only have a pic of it on my phone, and don't know how to upload it.
I'll take a pic with the camera I usually use later,,,,, and upload that.

And yes,,,,,,,,,,, I know all about locksmiths.
Where I live it's a long way into town,,, and the nearest locksmith wanted $350 to come out and open the boot. Not including cutting a key.
The NOS lock assembly only cost me $35.00 Heh,,,, you do the maths.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Oct 2021, 6:35 pm

100_6007.JPG
100_6007.JPG (512.33 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Oct 2021, 6:46 pm

Do you have a solenoid valve somewhere under the bonnet amongst the BBQ plumbing ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Oct 2021, 7:08 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Are there any members here that have knowledge on Auto LPG tanks and shut off solenoids/valves ?
Especially early models ?
I have a vehicle (non goer) that has a tank in the boot,,, and I have no idea if it has gas in it or not.
I removed the cover from over what I thought would be a simple on/off valve,,,,,,,, but it's not what I was expecting.

Anyone that has knowledge of such,,,, I can send a pic of the unit.

I need to either safely shut the tank off,,,,,, or otherwise safely and slowly drain whatever is in the tank,,, out in the open air.

As you said, no valve. To drain the tank looks like just slowly undo one of the copper pipe fittings. Don't get a gas burn. Use leather gloves just in case.

Open area, no ignition sources within about 25 yards.

What is your intention after draining the tank mate.?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 27 Oct 2021, 7:36 pm

Interesting. Must be old, before the time tanks needed to be isolated. Surprised there isn't a manual valve on it though, can understand no solenoid. Though the valve doesn't look that old going by condition. Might be able to vent from the engine bay.

Gauge does show empty, assuming it still works properly, would mean there isn't much to be drained.

What are those other 2 capped outlets on the bottom side of the valve?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Oct 2021, 7:42 pm

disco stu wrote:Interesting. Must be old, before the time tanks needed to be isolated. Surprised there isn't a manual valve on it though, can understand no solenoid. Though the valve doesn't look that old going by condition. Might be able to vent from the engine bay.

Gauge does show empty, assuming it still works properly, would mean there isn't much to be drained.

I've got no F'ing idea Mate.

Heh,,,, maybe just park it out in the paddock and open it with an incendiary AP round. ( just joking )

That'll give ya a rush OB
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Oct 2021, 8:00 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
disco stu wrote:Interesting. Must be old, before the time tanks needed to be isolated. Surprised there isn't a manual valve on it though, can understand no solenoid. Though the valve doesn't look that old going by condition. Might be able to vent from the engine bay.

I've got no F'ing idea Mate.

Heh,,,, maybe just park it out in the paddock and open it with an incendiary AP round. ( just joking )

That'll give ya a rush OB

Seen bigger and better than that I reckon. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Oct 2021, 8:06 pm

I don't doubt it Mate .
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Irish9 » 19 Nov 2021, 5:58 pm

I can't help you with much info but I do know if you have a full one and can't get it to vent a dead centre shot with an 8mm Mauser is a spectacular way to do it!

Only wish I'd have filmed it and maybe has something near to ignite it... This was done safely on a private range too BTW, I was recycling it for a lead melting pot.
Irish9
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm

I reckon as advised above, crack one of those compression fittings and bleed off slowly.
I understand that you appreciate the potential hazards but will recall a story I read in a local newspaper many years back.
A couple of dropkick renters in outer Melb decided to bleed off a tank, did it in no wind next to the house, pilot flame from domestic gas heater lit her up and dropped the house off it's stumps onto the ground.
They then moved out.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2021, 6:55 pm

Tiger650 wrote:I reckon as advised above, crack one of those compression fittings and bleed off slowly.
I understand that you appreciate the potential hazards but will recall a story I read in a local newspaper many years back.
A couple of dropkick renters in outer Melb decided to bleed off a tank, did it in no wind next to the house, pilot flame from domestic gas heater lit her up and dropped the house off it's stumps onto the ground.
They then moved out.

Around the mid-90's, a plumber in the next street to mine got in his van one morning to go to work, hit the ignition, and blew the van to pieces, along with parts of the house. Seems he'd had a gas bottle leaking in the van all night.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Nov 2021, 7:14 pm

Reckon he developed a severe ignition key flinch after that ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2021, 7:23 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Reckon he developed a severe ignition key flinch after that ?

He had no issues at all after that.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 19 Nov 2021, 7:29 pm

Killed him?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Nov 2021, 8:37 pm

disco stu wrote:Killed him?

Pardon the Pun,,,, but I reckon you'd have to be a "bright spark" to ask that. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2021, 8:53 pm

Oh yeah. Hell of a bang!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2021, 9:02 pm

Tried a quick Google search but didn't find anything, might've been too early to be online. Was in Maddington, Perth.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 19 Nov 2021, 9:13 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

Pardon the Pun,,,, but I reckon you'd have to be a "bright spark" to ask that. :lol:

Just double checking. People survive some crazy things at times, so you never know. Assume and all that
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation