Climate Change is Real

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Climate Change is Real

Post by straightshooter » 01 Nov 2021, 8:25 am

About 16 years ago I planted two bare root cherry trees in my back yard here in Sydney, both self pollinating varieties. One is a Stella and the other a Morello.
Every year from the first year on the Morello had heaps of fruit. On the other hand we had to wait about 5 years for the first 4 or 5 cherries on the Stella and in the following years sometimes nothing or sometimes again only 4 or 5 cherries.
I was advised that the climate is too warm in Sydney and the Stella wasn't getting sufficient chilling during winter to enable it to set fruit.
I wandered outside this morning to scare off a dump chook and noticed the Stella is covered in still green cherries.
Up until now I was a climate change sceptic, bolstered by my belief that Politicians, Activists and other con artists will say whatever is required to exploit the susceptible and gullible to get what they want.
But vegetation doesn't lie.
So either it is a fluke year or something is changing. Might have a better idea this time next year.
Time to cover the tree with a net to keep those thieving Indian Mynahs out.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Climate Change is Real

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 9:05 am

I was talking with a friend on the weekend and was enjoying all the tiny birds flitting about her garden, we don't have anything smaller than the miners around the house here. She said that they started replacing the non-native plants with native species twenty years ago, which has brought the birds back. I think that is a very grand correlation to make. Their changing the species in their garden is a very, very tiny change in the overall environment. Over twenty years, all manner of changes have occured around there, from mines shutting down, changing industries, man made changes to waterways, and most importantly, the urban spread has moved massively. Any number of things are more likely to have caused tiny birds to come to her garden than the garden itself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 01 Nov 2021, 9:48 am

The climate has always changed and always will, otherwise this would be a dead planet like Mars. Droughts, floods, wind, fire, etc. is all earths self cleaning mechanism.

It's pretty clear from tree and ice core samples that there are 30-40 year cycles, 200-400 year cycles and ones larger than that. On a smaller scale we have things like La Nina and El Nino.

Back in the 1300s the earth was warmer than it was now, humans survived well enough. To me politically driven "climate change" hysteria is just full blown marxism in drag.

On my property I see how nothing ever really stays the same and in many ways humans make the earth better for wildlife and vegetation. This place is teeming with a wide variety of wildlife thanks to the developed food and water sources along with good cover. It didn't use to be, when I came here it was a bit dead.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 10:21 am

wanneroo wrote:The climate has always changed and always will, otherwise this would be a dead planet like Mars. Droughts, floods, wind, fire, etc. is all earths self cleaning mechanism.

It's pretty clear from tree and ice core samples that there are 30-40 year cycles, 200-400 year cycles and ones larger than that. On a smaller scale we have things like La Nina and El Nino.

Back in the 1300s the earth was warmer than it was now, humans survived well enough. To me politically driven "climate change" hysteria is just full blown marxism in drag.

On my property I see how nothing ever really stays the same and in many ways humans make the earth better for wildlife and vegetation. This place is teeming with a wide variety of wildlife thanks to the developed food and water sources along with good cover. It didn't use to be, when I came here it was a bit dead.

Definitely, when you live in nature you see it is in continual evolution, as with all life forms that want to survive. When you live in a city you are told what you should believe, based entirely on the agenda of the teller.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Nov 2021, 10:25 am

Cast your mind back a few years and some of the older gents will remember the days of "global cooling" and that we were going to run out of oil in the 70s as you can see they were back on the money way back then.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 10:29 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Cast your mind back a few years and some of the older gents will remember the days of "global cooling" and that we were going to run out of oil in the 70s as you can see they were back on the money way back then.

Are we running out oil though, or is it just becoming less financially viable to source it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Nov 2021, 10:52 am

The middle east would collapse over night if that were the case. Car manufacturers when i was still in ford crew working on Hydrogen as the next alternative fuel source and they were mostly struggling with storage issues rather than sourcing hydrogen. Who knows what were going yo go for.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 01 Nov 2021, 11:26 am

I had a young hippie chick declare to me CO2 was bad and we are all going to die over 2 years ago.I knew nothing and since then have done my own research bought a CO2 meter to take my own readings did the green house saturation experiment outside in the sun and measured sea levels.I have found no evidence of any looming catastrophe.Polar bears are thriving now we stopped shooting them.Whales are returning to their old areas.The Maldives are still there and we are at around 400ppm CO2.Do we have enough stuff to burn to get this higher.Probably not.How it is now is how it is going to stay.I am a big fan of researching better energy management systems and burning coal to make steam to turn a turbine is very old tech but what a lot of people do not allow for is you can get 70 years out of a coal fired power plant.In Perth the bulk of our power comes from gas turbines which create next to no CO2.I tested my gas hotplate and could barely get 2000ppm before my hand was too close and that was with all burners going.I do not care about the methane claims as it is measured in parts per billion.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 01 Nov 2021, 11:43 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:The middle east would collapse over night if that were the case. Car manufacturers when i was still in ford crew working on Hydrogen as the next alternative fuel source and they were mostly struggling with storage issues rather than sourcing hydrogen. Who knows what were going yo go for.

Yep. I remember those days back in the 50's and 60's, so really, isn't it a cycle that this planet is going through, albeit with a bit of disruption from current and past industries. We just gotta deal with it as was done in the past. Just my opinion, mind you.
Last edited by Bugman on 01 Nov 2021, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Nov 2021, 11:54 am

duncan61 wrote:I had a young hippie chick declare to me CO2 was bad and we are all going to die over 2 years ago.I knew nothing and since then have done my own research bought a CO2 meter to take my own readings did the green house saturation experiment outside in the sun and measured sea levels.I have found no evidence of any looming catastrophe.Polar bears are thriving now we stopped shooting them.Whales are returning to their old areas.The Maldives are still there and we are at around 400ppm CO2.Do we have enough stuff to burn to get this higher.Probably not.How it is now is how it is going to stay.I am a big fan of researching better energy management systems and burning coal to make steam to turn a turbine is very old tech but what a lot of people do not allow for is you can get 70 years out of a coal fired power plant.In Perth the bulk of our power comes from gas turbines which create next to no CO2.I tested my gas hotplate and could barely get 2000ppm before my hand was too close and that was with all burners going.I do not care about the methane claims as it is measured in parts per billion.

People that are against Nuclear power what other options do we have? What happens when the sun doesn't shine and there is no wind? 2011 we had 4-6 weeks of stady rain no sun. The wind turbines that we are installing are 10 years out of date. European tech thats been bought on the cheap and has to be replaced in 10-15 years

Whilst these are great in terms of renewables they are never going to replace power stations be it coal, gas or nuclear and these new stations need to built today to be ready for 2050 especially given the speed or lack of that the government do anything.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Nov 2021, 1:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Are we running out oil though, or is it just becoming less financially viable to source it?

I figure that even though they are still finding it, and drilling ever deeper etc,,,,,, oil is a finite resource and eventually we will run dry.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2021, 5:55 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I figure that even though they are still finding it, and drilling ever deeper etc,,,,,, oil is a finite resource and eventually we will run dry.

Absolutely, just as the sun has a finite life, but I'm quite sure all life on this planet will be extinct long before it becomes a problem :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 01 Nov 2021, 5:58 pm

A lot of capped wells are opened again later and there is more oil again
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2021, 8:02 pm

straightshooter wrote:About 16 years ago I planted two bare root cherry trees in my back yard here in Sydney, both self pollinating varieties. One is a Stella and the other a Morello.
Every year from the first year on the Morello had heaps of fruit. On the other hand we had to wait about 5 years for the first 4 or 5 cherries on the Stella and in the following years sometimes nothing or sometimes again only 4 or 5 cherries.
I was advised that the climate is too warm in Sydney and the Stella wasn't getting sufficient chilling during winter to enable it to set fruit.
I wandered outside this morning to scare off a dump chook and noticed the Stella is covered in still green cherries.
Up until now I was a climate change sceptic, bolstered by my belief that Politicians, Activists and other con artists will say whatever is required to exploit the susceptible and gullible to get what they want.
But vegetation doesn't lie.
So either it is a fluke year or something is changing. Might have a better idea this time next year.
Time to cover the tree with a net to keep those thieving Indian Mynahs out.

Don't bet on it that idiot Al Gore said back in 2011 or 2012 that all low-lying areas would be flooded by 2016 or 18 whatever it was in my town there's a boat ramp and the first time I started going down there was 1975 the water level has not changed between high and low tide From Then to Now water level still exactly the same .
Climate change yeah well it always changes was only 10000 years ago we had an ice age wonder who was driving the cars back then and caused that , it is nothing more than a big money grab by big business like that arsehole Twiggy Forrest and all his mates biggest load of bulshit I've ever heard my life .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 01 Nov 2021, 8:38 pm

I am not much of a believer in man made climate change. But I have noticed one particular change. As a kid growing up in Brisbane in the 50’s and 60’s you could count on one hand the number of major hail storms we had in that time. These days we are getting dangerous storm cells and serious storm warnings every second day.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 01 Nov 2021, 10:35 pm

One of the most thought provoking interviews I have seen on climate By one of the Founders OF Greenpeace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5K5i5Wv7jQ&t=43s
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Nov 2021, 6:55 am

Barrack Obama bought up some low laying ocean front property. Clearly they don't believe the world is flooding.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Nov 2021, 7:35 am

Peter988 wrote:I am not much of a believer in man made climate change. But I have noticed one particular change. As a kid growing up in Brisbane in the 50’s and 60’s you could count on one hand the number of major hail storms we had in that time. These days we are getting dangerous storm cells and serious storm warnings every second day.

Bris-vegas, ( along with all other major cities ), has grown almost exponentially in size since the 50's. Large urban landscapes create a "heat island" effect. The more concentrated the development, the more heat is generated. Storm cells are driven by heat energy, get a large storm moving over a hot land mass, it builds in size and intensity. Storm tops are driven increasingly higher, rain droplets are pulled up into a zone where they freeze becoming hail. The more energy in the system, the more they are recirculated causing accumulation each time and increased size in hailstones and increased intensity.
I could go on to explain the mechanisms involved in intricate detail with references etc, but I don't think anyone wants to read my thesis on the subject. :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 02 Nov 2021, 8:55 am

Interesting point.

Throughout history trees have been collecting carbon from the earth's environment, when they die they get buried under soil. All these trees then convert to oil/gas over thousands of years. Humans have in the industrial age, firstly been cutting down all existing forests at a huge rate lot more than the past and been extracting all the oil/gas and pumping all this carbon back into the atmosphere. So not only have we decreased the number of trees but increased the carbon. To say this is OK, is just dumb fk. it's very simple and shouldn't take a scientist to work out it does effect the earth in a bad way.

Now what effect it will have, no one knows. The scientists make a guess, and it is just a guess. So they could be right or wrong... only time will tell. But denying it completely, should be criminal.

We only have one earth, and there is no doubt we are making it unbalanced. Now putting a tax on it, or who does what, is a bloody long argument. And I see merit on both sides.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Nov 2021, 8:59 am

Climate change sure is real, this planet has changed a lot since it was a firey ball of lava and gas floating through space.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2021, 9:38 am

cz515 wrote:Interesting point.

Throughout history trees have been collecting carbon from the earth's environment, when they die they get buried under soil. All these trees then convert to oil/gas over thousands of years. Humans have in the industrial age, firstly been cutting down all existing forests at a huge rate lot more than the past and been extracting all the oil/gas and pumping all this carbon back into the atmosphere. So not only have we decreased the number of trees but increased the carbon. To say this is OK, is just dumb fk. it's very simple and shouldn't take a scientist to work out it does effect the earth in a bad way.

Now what effect it will have, no one knows. The scientists make a guess, and it is just a guess. So they could be right or wrong... only time will tell. But denying it completely, should be criminal.

We only have one earth, and there is no doubt we are making it unbalanced. Now putting a tax on it, or who does what, is a bloody long argument. And I see merit on both sides.

The planet will exterminate all life forms, and return to a barren lump of rock floating in space, that is what all planets do, and nothing we can do will ever change that. The only way life forms will survive is by migrating to other planets as each becomes incapable of maintaining life. The life of the planet depends not one iota on what humans do to it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 02 Nov 2021, 9:47 am

Man induced climate change is real. We cannot keep burning millions of years of fossil fuels, clearing and burning forests at an alarming rate, or have huge areas of what was bush now cleared heat radiating paddocks and heat generating concrete jungles with consequences to earth.

The industrial revolution is just a second on earth clock and growth of people and use of resources has grown exponentially.

It is a worry for my grandchildren future.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2021, 10:00 am

animalpest wrote:Man induced climate change is real. We cannot keep burning millions of years of fossil fuels, clearing and burning forests at an alarming rate, or have huge areas of what was bush now cleared heat radiating paddocks and heat generating concrete jungles with consequences to earth.

The industrial revolution is just a second on earth clock and growth of people and use of resources has grown exponentially.

If we selfishly want the human race to survive, we need to stop concentrating on trying to extend the habitable lifespan of this planet by a few millennia, as we will still become extinct anyway.

We need to concentrate on finding ways of becoming viable without reliance on this planet or any other.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 02 Nov 2021, 10:17 am

Actually there are many more trees on the planet than just 30 years ago.

The United States is way more forested than it was 500 years ago.

When the earth belches and farts through a volcano it releases way, way more CO2 than any human activity. In fact the ocean puts out a heap of CO2 way beyond human activity.

Now I don't believe in turning the earth into a pigsty and excessively making a mess, but the climate hysteria is way over the top and not based in any reality.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 02 Nov 2021, 10:18 am

The earth moves further away from the sun with every year that passes. Eventually this will cause the planet to no longer support higher life forms, and then all life forms. Unless somebody can come up with a way to prevent the earth from moving away from the sun, we _will_ become extinct. That's how solar systems work...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 02 Nov 2021, 4:13 pm

wanneroo wrote:Actually there are many more trees on the planet than just 30 years ago.

The United States is way more forested than it was 500 years ago.

Do you have proof of that.

I know it's hard for Americans to think (esp when you look at world series) that but there is more countries in the world than America. :sarcasm:

Looking at other countries, esp rainforests I would beg to differ
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 02 Nov 2021, 7:09 pm

In the 70s we were reliably informed that the Amazon would soon all be gone and you guessed it we were all going to die.In 1980 I saw on current affair or something similar a young bearded hippie guy explain that by 2000 the Amazon would be all gone.He was good enough to redo the interview in 2000 now he is a 40year old clean cut bloke and he was honest and stated if you dont incite panic and fear no one pays attention.Satellites can take pictures thats it.Even NASA admit that the earth is greener now than since Data was collected in 1978.I get the NASA newsletter and most of it is a joke but they need funding so they keep wording the articles in a way to show they are working hard on a real issue and we should be gratefull.Time is the big enemy of the alarmists as nothing has or will happen.Simple questions
Are there still polar bears?
Has where you lived the sea flooded you?
Is the Amazon still there?
Can you visit the Maldives?
All these things were supposed to happen because of runaway warming by 2020.Oooops.The new dialoge has changed to climate change as the warming paused then reversed but you are not alowed to know that.I have looked at both sides fairly and reasonably for over 2 years and can not find any proof the planet is any sort of trouble quite the reverse we now plant harvestable plantations and new growing blue gums and pine suck up a lot of CO2 once the trees are harvested the ground is de stumped and off we go again.I have shot blue gum plantations and they are great in the cool and wet conditions as the roos hang around and you can sneak up on them in the adjoining row and pop them in the brain from 40-50 metres
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Nov 2021, 7:46 pm

The Amazon, Current rate of destruction, ~3000 square miles per year, with 20% cleared.

I'm calling total bull$hit on there being more trees on the planet now than there was 3 decades ago

Go ahead and zoom in on the Amazon using Google earth, it's definitely been raped of trees and turned into farmland.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 02 Nov 2021, 8:35 pm

Climate change is real the planet changes all the time man made climate change is pure bull /s... according to the guy that founded Green peace and he explains it better in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5K5i5Wv7jQ&t=43s
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Nov 2021, 9:05 pm

animalpest wrote:Man induced climate change is real. We cannot keep burning millions of years of fossil fuels, clearing and burning forests at an alarming rate, or have huge areas of what was bush now cleared heat radiating paddocks and heat generating concrete jungles with consequences to earth.

Well put.
And once it's out of the ground bloody hard to put back.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation