Climate Change is Real

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Climate Change is Real

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2021, 4:20 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:
. Solar works wonderfully during a nice cloud free summers day in.... sunny Queensland. In Melbourne it's as useful as tits on a bull.

I thought so too but after moving to regional Victoria and living off grid for 18 months, we have power feeding in from the panels even on cloudy days
Surprisingly, overcast and sunny days seem to be roughly same. Very dark rainy days will suffer but our batteries last several days so we rarely run a backup generator- maybe once or twice a year

Are you down south, like Gippsland?
We're off-grid, which works really well during the warmer months, but you still need huge battery storage to make it through weeks of bad weather, much more storage than you would if it were always "summer" weather.

And it's very expensive, so you have to be dedicated to long-term saving, as the initial outlay takes years to recover in not paying for power. By the time you've recouped the outlay you're just about up for new batteries and panels anyway. Maybe over a lifetime you might be ahead a bit though. But they might find something better that makes your solar storage system redundant.

It can be argued that staying on grid at least you're supporting all the local people and industries that keep that grid pumping power. Going off-grid I think you're really supporting the overseas factories that manufacture the panels, batteries and control systems that a handful of local sparkies get sent out for a few days every ten years or so to maintain, with new parts from those overseas manufacturers.

With the recent storms there were teams of electricians everywhere repairing the grid, and earning their incomes doing so. None of them had to visit us...how long until we no longer need grid maintenance workers at all?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 16 Nov 2021, 6:05 pm

Maybe I just get the cloudy arse end of the sun then. In summer 2 months the solar I have will make 100kwh for the day, during the rest of the year on a good day it will be 40s.. on a bad cloudy day under 10kwh.

For a 15kwh system that's pathetic
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2021, 6:35 pm

cz515 wrote:Maybe I just get the cloudy arse end of the sun then. In summer 2 months the solar I have will make 100kwh for the day, during the rest of the year on a good day it will be 40s.. on a bad cloudy day under 10kwh.

Our system is fairly beefy as it runs welders, freezers, lathe, etc.
But we had to totally re-wire the house with a modern fuse box before they would consider installing it.
We have twenty roof panels, and the battery was $20K on it's own.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2021, 8:47 pm

"My opinion, no harm in trying to reduce CO2 emissions if it isn't knee jerk reactions that are actually harmful to the environment"

This is exactly my position. Put simply it's good risk management. Why take the risk of shouving your head in the sand.

Regarding the climate change it's self. I think the question is. How much is caused by humans?
And it's pretty dam hard to measure or prove.

Rather than is it changing?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 16 Nov 2021, 9:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
cz515 wrote:Maybe I just get the cloudy arse end of the sun then. In summer 2 months the solar I have will make 100kwh for the day, during the rest of the year on a good day it will be 40s.. on a bad cloudy day under 10kwh.

But we had to totally re-wire the house with a modern fuse box before they would consider installing it.

60 panels of 275w each, on a 15k inverter. During summer good for about $2500 a quarter saving on the elec bill, put its still well more than that
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 17 Nov 2021, 9:09 am

I am intending to be off grid on my next property - assuming I still move as planned. Property market is too dodgy to risk selling up here at the moment.

And if you buy a block of land with no power connected, and you are out of town on a few acres, the cost of getting power connected to where you want may be as much as $100k. Assuming it was only $50k, that buys you a lot of solar equipment.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 17 Nov 2021, 10:18 am

It's probably more than that for bringing it along a couple hundred meters
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2021, 10:57 am

GQshayne wrote:I am intending to be off grid on my next property - assuming I still move as planned. Property market is too dodgy to risk selling up here at the moment.

And if you buy a block of land with no power connected, and you are out of town on a few acres, the cost of getting power connected to where you want may be as much as $100k. Assuming it was only $50k, that buys you a lot of solar equipment.

Similar to reticulated water, it stops next door to us :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 17 Nov 2021, 8:11 pm

cz515 wrote:It's probably more than that for bringing it along a couple hundred meters

You could be right. But many years ago I recall it was a very high price then. It would only be dearer now. Same with water supply and sewerage. I am happy to have none of it. That way I am not tied to how much profit the supplier wants to make.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 17 Nov 2021, 8:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Running welders and compressors is something I would like to do as well. Can you please tell me the basics of your system?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2021, 8:14 pm

GQshayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Running welders and compressors is something I would like to do as well. Can you please tell me the basics of your system?

I'll have to dig out the paperwork.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2021, 9:39 pm

Okay, it's a 6.6Kw solar power system consisting of twenty 330W solar roof panels with a 5kw inverter, and Tesla Powerwall 2 13.5kwh storage system. The quote suggests we'll recoup the installation cost in twelve years.

As for explaining the basics, electricity is black magic to me. If you have a specific question I can see if it's mentioned in the documentation, otherwise you'll get a better answer from the suppliers.

bladeracer wrote:
GQshayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I'll have to dig out the paperwork.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 18 Nov 2021, 5:55 am

Yours is an off grid system blade?

Anyway most batteries including the powerwall have a 10 year warranty.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2021, 8:47 am

cz515 wrote:Yours is an off grid system blade?

Anyway most batteries including the powerwall have a 10 year warranty.

Yes, off-grid.

Which means it'll fail in eleven years and cost another $20k to replace.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 18 Nov 2021, 6:01 pm

Lol... that's my experience.

You could get lucky and it dies in year 9
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2021, 6:27 pm

cz515 wrote:Lol... that's my experience.

If that were even remotely possible it'd have an eight-year warranty :-)

Cutting trees today with the AEG 12" electric chainsaw and it occurred to me I'd hate for it to die the day after the warranty runs out :-)

Great tool if you don't have one. Cuts through 200mm limbs with no trouble at all. 9ah battery lasts about as long as I need before stopping for a recharge, so I can charge the battery at the same time :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 18 Nov 2021, 7:56 pm

[quote="bladeracer"]Okay, it's a 6.6Kw solar power system consisting of twenty 330W solar roof panels with a 5kw inverter, and Tesla Powerwall 2 13.5kwh storage system. The quote suggests we'll recoup the installation cost in twelve years.

As for explaining the basics, electricity is black magic to me. If you have a specific question I can see if it's mentioned in the documentation, otherwise you'll get a better answer from the suppliers.

[quote="bladeracer"]

It was just the specs I was after, thank you. I just wanted to see what you used to run equipment other then normal domestic stuff. Welders and compressors take some grunt.

What sort of use do you get from your equipment?? Ever have to stop before you wanted???
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2021, 8:48 pm

GQshayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Okay, it's a 6.6Kw solar power system consisting of twenty 330W solar roof panels with a 5kw inverter, and Tesla Powerwall 2 13.5kwh storage system. The quote suggests we'll recoup the installation cost in twelve years.

bladeracer wrote:
It was just the specs I was after, thank you. I just wanted to see what you used to run equipment other then normal domestic stuff. Welders and compressors take some grunt.

What sort of use do you get from your equipment?? Ever have to stop before you wanted???

Never had to stop as we've never really run the batteries down. But we're farming, not doing steel fabrication.
I'm drawing plans tonight for a portable cattle forcing yard, basically a steel fenced circle about 6.5m diameter, consisting of 2500mm panels. It will be quite a lot of cutting and welding but I don't expect to have any trouble doing it off the battery system. I don't use a plasma cutter because of the size of the compressor it requires, not because of the current draw, more that we wouldn't use it enough to warrant the cost of such a large compressor.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 19 Nov 2021, 6:37 am

bladeracer wrote:
cz515 wrote:Lol... that's my experience.

If that were even remotely possible it'd have an eight-year warranty :-)

Cutting trees today with the AEG 12" electric chainsaw and it occurred to me I'd hate for it to die the day after the warranty runs out :-)

Great tool if you don't have one. Cuts through 200mm limbs with no trouble at all. 9ah battery lasts about as long as I need before stopping for a recharge, so I can charge the battery at the same time :-)

Yep I am converted to battery powered tools, i bought my first milwaukee tools about 15 years ago and still love them. Saying that chainsaw is still petrol, just can't beat a ms261 with a 16inch bar for small to medium stuff
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 19 Nov 2021, 8:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
GQshayne wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Okay, it's a 6.6Kw solar power system consisting of twenty 330W solar roof panels with a 5kw inverter, and Tesla Powerwall 2 13.5kwh storage system. The quote suggests we'll recoup the installation cost in twelve years.

bladeracer wrote:

Never had to stop as we've never really run the batteries down. But we're farming, not doing steel fabrication.
I'm drawing plans tonight for a portable cattle forcing yard, basically a steel fenced circle about 6.5m diameter, consisting of 2500mm panels. It will be quite a lot of cutting and welding but I don't expect to have any trouble doing it off the battery system. I don't use a plasma cutter because of the size of the compressor it requires, not because of the current draw, more that we wouldn't use it enough to warrant the cost of such a large compressor.

Cheers, thanks for that.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation