snap on torque wrench

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

snap on torque wrench

Post by northdude » 23 Nov 2021, 6:39 pm

Does any one here calibrate torque wrenches? I've got a snap on I'm going to try and do myself. Just wondering where the adjuster is in it?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: snap on torque wrench

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2021, 7:04 pm

Somewhere in your area with be a calibration service.

Or you can put a scale on the handle a foot from the end and measure how much force you are putting into the handle in pounds, which will give you foot-pounds. This will also let you tighten bolts to a specified torque if you don't have a torque wrench.

This is easier if you weld a large bolt into a plate, and scribe an arc one-foot from the centre of the bolt. Put the wrench on the bolt, mark the starting point of the handle on the arc. Apply 10lb of pressure to the handle in line with the one-foot arc, and confirm that the wrench reads 10ft-lb. Do the same with 50lb, 100lb, etc.

Some designs use gearing though to reduce the amount of force you need to put into them.

Most I've seen are adjusted by a locknut up in the handle, but I've never used Snap-On gear.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 23 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm

I know its out by a mile found that out the hard way. Snapped 2 big end studs on a jeep motor I recoed. Got a couple a caddy motors to do so want it right for those
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by scoot » 23 Nov 2021, 7:34 pm

Why wouldn't you just pay the nominal fee and have it done professionally and certified??? You're obviously not stingy if you stumped for a snap-on to start with. Least you'll have peace of mind in accurate repeatable results. :unknown:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 23 Nov 2021, 8:38 pm

Mate pay the hundred or two hundred to get it done professionally.

Saying that many engine builders will use a stretch gauge?? to do the head studs
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 23 Nov 2021, 8:44 pm

Wowsers! Do you store it backed off? Sounds significantly out
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2021, 8:51 pm

cz515 wrote:Mate pay the hundred or two hundred to get it done professionally.

Saying that many engine builders will use a stretch gauge?? to do the head studs

Depends on the engine design, some designs don't allow you to measure bolt/stud stretch.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2021, 9:00 pm

northdude wrote:I know its out by a mile found that out the hard way. Snapped 2 big end studs on a jeep motor I recoed. Got a couple a caddy motors to do so want it right for those

Unless it was an electric Jeep you built an engine, not a motor.
When I build an engine I chase a tap through all the threaded holes to ensure the threads are clean, and make very sure any blind holes are cleaned out to allow the bolts to fit without bottoming out on machining crud or liquid in the bottom. Usually, the bolts must be oiled to give the correct torque reading, but too much oil can hydraulically lock the bolt from going down a blind hole. If the bolt snapped from over-torque, you should be able to remove the broken end fairly easily as there is no longer any torque holding it in. If you can't easily remove it there may be a different issue, like crud in the hole, wrong thread pitch, bolt too long for the hole, or a missing washer, etc.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Nov 2021, 10:40 am

Yet another reason why I have only ever bought Warren & Brown.deflecting beam wrenches.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 25 Nov 2021, 3:57 am

If i cant re cal this myself ill buy a decent one. This isnt very old and has done little work. From what ive been able to gather its a pretty simple task to do. Its basically just pre loading a spring. Id like to think I know a thing or 2 about tightening bolts etc only been doing it 40+ years. The last time I used it before bolt breaking exercise i was thinking man this feels tight for xx ft lbs. But then thought na this is supposed to be one of the best tools out there just trust it then ping. Checked it and its 28 ft lbs over tourqeing....
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by pomemax » 25 Nov 2021, 7:08 am

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Nov 2021, 8:47 am

northdude wrote:If i cant re cal this myself ill buy a decent one. This isnt very old and has done little work. From what ive been able to gather its a pretty simple task to do. Its basically just pre loading a spring. Id like to think I know a thing or 2 about tightening bolts etc only been doing it 40+ years. The last time I used it before bolt breaking exercise i was thinking man this feels tight for xx ft lbs. But then thought na this is supposed to be one of the best tools out there just trust it then ping. Checked it and its 28 ft lbs over tourqeing....

At 28ft-lb over spec I would've been investigating the issue before breaking the first one, engine builders generally develop excellent feel for torque, and for when a fastener is starting to fail. The difference in feel at 100ft-lb and 128ft-lb is very significant to the bloke on the end of the wrench.

Don't Snap-On have the Leupold guarantee? You pay so much more for the product because you'll never have to buy another one? Have you contacted Snap-On to let them know it's not working?

The method I mentioned is very easy and will immediately let you calibrate the wrench. All you are measuring is how many pounds are required to move a one-foot lever.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 25 Nov 2021, 5:07 pm

yes I've contacted them they don't warranty their torque wrenches. or air tools. here anyway got a snap on impact gun that s**t its self as well...
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by disco stu » 25 Nov 2021, 5:40 pm

That's pretty crap if they don't warranty them. I reckon you would get better value out of a cheap povo one, they have warranty at least
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Nov 2021, 6:09 pm

northdude wrote:yes I've contacted them they don't warranty their torque wrenches. or air tools. here anyway got a snap on impact gun that s**t its self as well...

Well, that sucks then. Their no questions warranty was the only thing they had going for them. If they won't guarantee it get a couple of sub-$100 ones, that way you can always compare them against each other. When they're no longer reliable at least you still have a nice wrench.

Snap-On basically relies on keeping apprentices broke. Apprentices make terrible money, and Snap-On wants every cent of it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 25 Nov 2021, 6:46 pm

I just checked my cheap aldi $25 one. Spot on in the lower range, need a better set up to test up higher. I've owned it for somethinglike 5 years, don't use it every day. Gets used whenever I do wheels, a few times a year when I do other bolts I fuss about torque over, plus heads etc that I might do every few years. Not sure how much use yours has had, but pretty bad if a cheap aldi one out lasts a snap on

I was never overly impressed by the snap on gear for the money. I thought the same-only thing going for it was the warranty so you could just swap it out whenever the truck came around
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 26 Nov 2021, 3:56 am

Its about 4 years old always been wound off when storwd i dont lend it to people and it would be lucky if its been used more than 15 times. I find it odd that the reading has increased as well. Ive usually found they go the other way. Probably look at a norbar or something boss has had one for 20+ years and had no probs with it
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by disco stu » 26 Nov 2021, 5:35 pm

I'm intrigued if you got a dud or if they really are that bad quality
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 26 Nov 2021, 5:40 pm

From all I hear some time ago snap on moved to Chinese manufacturing.... and their quality suffered.

In Australia they have the lifetime warranty. Which looks like isn't the case in NZ
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2021, 5:51 pm

cz515 wrote:From all I hear some time ago snap on moved to Chinese manufacturing.... and their quality suffered.

In Australia they have the lifetime warranty. Which looks like isn't the case in NZ

This is from the website:
"Manufacturer’s Warranty Against Defects for Australian Customers Note: This document contains supplementary warranty information for Snap-on customers located in Australia. The period of warranty on Snap-on and Blue Point products varies according to the product. The warranty period for a specific product is detailed in the packaging of that product."

This is from the page of the basic click adjustable ratchet 1/2"-drive torque wrench:
"Warranty
Snap-on Repair Center, 1 YEAR from Date of Purchase, Repair or Calibrate at Snap-on Repair Center."

I can't see any reference to the no questions lifetime warranty anywhere on the site.
Sounds like Snap-On has nothing to offer over any cheaper Chinese tools.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 26 Nov 2021, 6:53 pm

the spanners are made out of soft steel I've worn the rings out on a few. then guess what no warranty because its worn then he pulls out another one thinking you stupid enough to buy another one. I've got cheap chinese spanners that have outlasted them. Had a look at the offending wrench today if you flick the end cap off the handle there's an adjuster under it..
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by scoot » 26 Nov 2021, 9:17 pm

Seems straight forward. Calibration isn't really a "fault" and if it hasn't been carried out in the 4 years of its life I think it's a stretch to expect it for nothing. Maybe if it went out of calibration within the last 12months of being done they'd be more accommodating.
Personally I've never had an issue getting snap-on warranty. Screwdrivers used as chisels, sockets adapted up to use on rattle guns, ratchets after putting a 3 foot bar on them. I've presented stuff to a dealer I never met before and walked out the truck with all but 2 pieces which he posted me. Can't say I've ever had near the same service from other brands warranty. Think of any other brand and I have or had stuff from all of them.
Quality may of changed but not too long ago when I was on the tools all day every day, working on all manner of stuff in less than ideal scenarios, I valued the snap on gear. A lot of people will say their "sidchrome" or whatever is just as good and for a lot of people it is. Why do you need a sako trg and a nightforce scope when a howa and a tasco shoots bullets just the same.......or does it.
I need a lay down after that rant. Must have been a bad day today. :roll:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by northdude » 27 Nov 2021, 6:56 am

The howa and tasco may surprise you. You just wont win any bragging contests with one
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by scoot » 27 Nov 2021, 2:30 pm

Wholeheartedly agree. Just depends on if you "value" the difference. Like everything there is generally diminishing returns the higher the price bracket goes.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 27 Nov 2021, 3:17 pm

Plus howa and tasco don't drive to your hunting spot in a truck once a month to sell you gear and swap your warranties
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 27 Nov 2021, 7:38 pm

howa is that reliable they don't need to...do sako and night force do it??
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by disco stu » 27 Nov 2021, 8:33 pm

For the price they should!!

Was getting at the fact that snap on has the truck that drops in to all the shops, and scoot was hinting that snap on was like sako and night force. I think that's one of the main reasons for their popularity, they come to you
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by scoot » 27 Nov 2021, 9:43 pm

Crude analogy that snap-on like sako or nightforce are top tier products. Does this mean they are "x" amount better than cheaper brands? Not necessarily but for some they're happy to pay the premium. Whether it's form, function, reliability, service or even just to roll with the cool kids, its up to the consumer to determine the value of their choice.
Me personally, I don't regret any of the snap on gear I've bought. Plus mum said I can't be trusted with nice things so screw you mum, I can so.....
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 28 Nov 2021, 2:31 pm

scoot wrote:Me personally, I don't regret any of the snap on gear I've bought. Plus mum said I can't be trusted with nice things so screw you mum, I can so.....

You've already admitted to using the screwdrivers as chisels, so maybe your mum is right :D

I was only fooling around with the sako truck comment.

I have to admit, I've had an incredibly good run with a set of screwdrivers from the $2 shop. Bought them near on 20yrs ago when visiting my now wife to fix her lawn mower. Only used at home, but I'm not gentle with them at all and only broken one of the Phillips heads. Get used probably every day on all manner of things, and not simple light jobs. I wouldn't use $2 shop sockets though, surely trash them in no time.

I've just thought that there is plenty of good quality tools out there, and I thought they had similar warranty, but snap on comes to your workplace. Who wants to go swap tools in your own time after work? I figure that lends a lot to their popularity. Apparently wurth comes around also, but I never saw them and not sure how many tools they actually carry.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 28 Nov 2021, 4:18 pm

Cheap screws, nuts and tools have only two uses... firstly to give to others when they ask for tools or throw them in bin.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation