BEWARE OF "AFTERPAY"

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

BEWARE OF "AFTERPAY"

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Dec 2021, 3:24 pm

Just a heads up warning to everyone (being just before Xmas)

A couple of days ago a close friend of mine woke to discover that all three bank accounts had been cleaned out.
A total of nine transactions within a very short time span at 2am

All were connected/associated with "AfterPay" except for one other account and apparently they'd hacked into that by using the info from AfterPay.

All the funds were spent buying gift cards from JB HiFi.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: BEWARE OF "AFTERPAY"

Post by bladeracer » 04 Dec 2021, 3:30 pm

Haven't heard of Afterpay, something like Paypal?

Die Judicii wrote:Just a heads up warning to everyone (being just before Xmas)

A couple of days ago a close friend of mine woke to discover that all three bank accounts had been cleaned out.
A total of nine transactions within a very short time span at 2am

All were connected/associated with "AfterPay" except for one other account and apparently they'd hacked into that by using the info from AfterPay.

All the funds were spent buying gift cards from JB HiFi.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 04 Dec 2021, 3:46 pm

Can't stand these buy now pay later platforms i have to deal with these at work and afterpay is comming on board (Sigh)

These platforms play on the needy not so much for the people being paid for services or goods but a debt trap for those with little control.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 04 Dec 2021, 3:52 pm

I had this happen to me with a bank. They spent about 7 grand but not really a big deal as the bank guarantees it. Thats what the insurance is for. Now I always keep my cards locked and before I go to use them unlock them by use of mobile phone app.

This works 99/100 times except for the one time the bank app is down and you are stuck at the servo with no cash.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Dec 2021, 4:51 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I had this happen to me with a bank. They spent about 7 grand but not really a big deal as the bank guarantees it. Thats what the insurance is for. Now I always keep my cards locked and before I go to use them unlock them by use of mobile phone app.

This works 99/100 times except for the one time the bank app is down and you are stuck at the servo with no cash.

Yeah, The bank does guarantee it,,,,,,, but,,, it takes about six weeks to get it back.
And being just before Xmas,,,,,,,, what a deal.

These lowlifes got away with just on $9,000 from my friend.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 04 Dec 2021, 6:06 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I had this happen to me with a bank. They spent about 7 grand but not really a big deal as the bank guarantees it. Thats what the insurance is for. Now I always keep my cards locked and before I go to use them unlock them by use of mobile phone app.

Yeah, The bank does guarantee it,,,,,,, but,,, it takes about six weeks to get it back.
And being just before Xmas,,,,,,,, what a deal.

These lowlifes got away with just on $9,000 from my friend.

Yes it is frustrating and stressful, sorry to hear about your friend. Buying stuff on the internet is the main way card numbers are stolen so I try to avoid it now. The bank told me this happens all the time.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Dec 2021, 6:49 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:[ Buying stuff on the internet is the main way card numbers are stolen so I try to avoid it now. The bank told me this happens all the time.

FWIW The sites that I buy from say that they are secure, however, I don't mind at all being corrected by those in the know.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 04 Dec 2021, 7:06 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:[ Buying stuff on the internet is the main way card numbers are stolen so I try to avoid it now. The bank told me this happens all the time.

FWIW The sites that I buy from say that they are secure, however, I don't mind at all being corrected by those in the know.

Sites can get hacked and card info stolen and even rarely they can sell the card numbers.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Dec 2021, 7:17 pm

I've been using PayPal since 2000 I think, before that I had to use bank transfers to pay for things online.
I've had the bank call me twice, maybe three times, in that time to tell me that unusual activity was happening on my account. Items had been purchased in foreign countries that the bank had blocked and refunded, so it would show on my statements and not to be alarmed. I've never actually had any money taken, or had to change my account details.

But PayPal only uses money you actually have in the bank, you can't spend more than you actually have.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Dec 2021, 7:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
But PayPal only uses money you actually have in the bank, you can't spend more than you actually have.

Yep, that is a big plus for Paypal. :thumbsup:
Howevever I gave Paypal away years ago (when I was selling stuff that I was manufacturing) because of their exorbitant fees.
Fees that were at best illogical, and a rip off.
The final straw was broken when they (Paypal) charged me,, for postage of an item that I had agreed to cover myself with the buyer. :crazy:
ie: free postage for the buyer,,, or $xxx including postage.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 04 Dec 2021, 11:04 pm

Got me beat how this can happen my afterpay has a $1,000 limit so you got to pay it off before we can make another purchase
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 05 Dec 2021, 6:39 am

deye243 wrote:Got me beat how this can happen my afterpay has a $1,000 limit so you got to pay it off before we can make another purchase

^^^^^^^^ What he said
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 05 Dec 2021, 8:28 am

Bnpl is all a joke. Worse than credit cards. The only thing with them is most don't do credit checks so you can max out one and start up the next one and Max that out then third and so on.

But yes afterpay has a limit. So unless the owner increased their limit.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Dec 2021, 2:08 pm

After hacking into the "After Pay" account and cleaning that out, they then gained the information necessary to get into the other accounts that were not associated with After Pay, and cleaned them out as well.
They even got my friends address,,, and used that for the so called delivery of all the gift cards they bought.
I can't fathom out how they actually manage to get their goods.

The bank has apparently said that it failed by not picking up on the hack and then putting a hold on the transactions. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 05 Dec 2021, 4:13 pm

Ahh ok. So they "hacked" afterpay password. And like many people he had same user name and password for multiple sites.

If so, then is more a password issue. As I haven't heard any media reports of apt database getting hacked into.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation