cb radios

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

cb radios

Post by northdude » 13 Dec 2021, 6:43 pm

anyone here still play around with cb radios?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: cb radios

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2021, 7:21 pm

northdude wrote:anyone here still play around with cb radios?

Only two-way, but I'll sometimes take one out with me just to see what the truck drivers are chatting about. I just use small hand-held units with VOX throat mikes and air-tube ear pieces.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Dec 2021, 7:34 pm

Don’t play around with them but occasionally I carry a 5 watt handheld for safety.. once / actually twice I used it to call for help wen I was bogged ......if I’m hunting a new place and the owners don’t know me yet properly I think they appreciate the fact that I have some sort of back up safety plan
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Dec 2021, 8:58 pm

i'm looking at setting up a 5 watt GME in my tojo next week . for safety on large property and road reports
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 13 Dec 2021, 9:53 pm

All my work vehicles have them and we have some hand helds as well. Great for comms between vehicles, people of foot, farmers etc.

Still have the HF sets but don't get much use nowadays- sat phones get the nod todsy.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 14 Dec 2021, 3:48 am

We have 5w handhelds we carry. Also have a fixed one in 4wd those ones are uhf. Got a couple of am ones to have a play with. Have any of you made your own antennas. Did they work very well
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 14 Dec 2021, 4:37 am

Mounting my uhf might be a problem for me. I’m considering getting a CB with all the controls in the mic , and the unit is hidden in the dash . Having all the controls in the mic looks too fussy for my liking though. Anyone got any practical advice? I could just mount the CB on the passenger side of the centre console if I have to
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 14 Dec 2021, 7:01 am

I've got an old 40ch in the car, and a handheld cheap Chinese one that I reprogrammed with Aus channels. I also have a plb in my bag at all times. I've loaned the handheld out to others when conditions are bad and people can potentially get stuck etc, at $40 I'm not so worried about losing it. Transmission strength is down a little on 5w, but it's still well over 2 (others have measured around 4w), and it communicates better than yelling.

Used the handheld once when stuck in my Camry when away with the club.

I like the idea of longer range communications, but I'm not a ham kind of guy and its only for non life threatening emergencies (got the plb for live threatening). I did look at other frequencies with longer range, but cost and antennae size etc has made it look unattractive.

When I first heard about starlink it sounded like it could be a solution, as it was described as needing minimal equipment etc. Since found out that it needs permanently mounted antenna etc so it put that idea out of action
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Dec 2021, 10:12 am

I've got GME in my ute,,,,,,,,, but can't remember the last time I actually used it.
In fact,,,,,, don't recall if I was able to ever have an intelligent conversation with any randoms on the other end.
The exception was truckies that you invariably talk to when travelling any length of time and they are behind or in front of you for many miles.

These days most of em either don't have their set turned on or are just plain rude.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by northdude » 14 Dec 2021, 10:50 am

Any one have any success with one of those antennas you make out of wire a certain length and stretch it out. Forget what they are called
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by geoff » 14 Dec 2021, 10:53 am

I've got a UHF in all my cars and I've worked a lot of jobs where we communicated over various VHF platforms a lot. I'm comfortable enough using it and they are a godsend driving remote WA highways where you interact with big mining oversize a lot. Nothing worse than some numpty banking up traffic behind a big oversize while the pilot spends half an hour trying to call them on ch40

Turn it on for crying out loud
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 14 Dec 2021, 11:14 am

Have used a piece of wire cut to quarter wave length for my HF set. Worked better than a aerial.

My dad used to do this when he was in the forestry back in the late 50's. Throw it over a tree and away you talk.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 14 Dec 2021, 11:38 am

Have two 5 watt units for use when hunting and also a small epirb, but no cb unit anymore in the ute.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Dec 2021, 12:31 pm

Yeah ... mainly just listening to the 11 meter bands, still haven't got around to getting a licence but I've done my homework for it.
There's been loads of good skip on teh chicken band and the idiots have been quiet for a chance.

I run 27mhz and uhf in the 4x4 and have a decent base station in the shed
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sarco » 14 Dec 2021, 9:11 pm

Play a little on 27Mhz (11M band) but have an amateur licence so spend more time on the amateur HF bands and also VHF and UHF. Been starting to play with digital VHF & UHF radio lately but it is a steep learning curve and I will admit that some of the technical jargon tends to go over my head, but I am getting there.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 15 Dec 2021, 7:34 am

Is 11m the wavelength for 27 mhz. Sorry still trying to learn this stuff
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 15 Dec 2021, 11:19 am

Yes 11 metres is chook band 28 and 29 MHz is the 10 meter ham band
The thing I really like about 10 m is you get to do it SSB AM and FM
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Dec 2021, 7:16 pm

deye243 wrote:Yes 11 metres is chook band 28 and 29 MHz is the 10 meter ham band
The thing I really like about 10 m is you get to do it SSB AM and FM

:wtf: you guys are talking wizardry as far as i'm concerned :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2021, 8:04 pm

Same. I got no idea. They could be selling meth to each other via code and I would be oblivious
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 15 Dec 2021, 8:14 pm

UHF chook band is roughly 63 cm a smidgen less .

When we talk centimetres or metres it's the length of a full wavelength
20211215_211835.jpg
20211215_211835.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 18 Dec 2021, 8:53 am

Anyone familliar with adjusting antenna for swr. Ive got to a point with mine where the lowest i can get it is 3. Ive made sure its got good grounding( shed roof). The unit is a bit of an odd one a midland 203.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 18 Dec 2021, 8:56 am

Its recieving good tho picking up aussie at the moment. Newcastle by the sounds of it
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 18 Dec 2021, 9:07 am

Oh and its a base loaded antenna if that makes a differance
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by niteowl » 18 Dec 2021, 11:11 am

300 divided by the frequency in Megahertz will give you the wave length of any system in meters. eg 300/27 = 11.11111 m.
An antenna, regardless of type (half wave, quarter wave), will be approx 5% shorter than the calculated wave length.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation