Aguila ammo in Melbourne?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Aguila ammo in Melbourne?

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2021, 2:34 pm

Going up through Melbourne next week.
Would be great if I could find some Aguila ammo for testing.
Has anybody seen any stock up there?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Aguila ammo in Melbourne?

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 31 Dec 2021, 4:45 pm

Do you plan on coming to Queensland anytime soon? I have seen it at a few stores here.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2021, 5:31 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Do you plan on coming to Queensland anytime soon? I have seen it at a few stores here.

Nope :-)
I don't think we have a local distributor here yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 31 Dec 2021, 5:56 pm

I am not sure who brought it in but it has been at a few shops and it was also at some booths at the Brisbane gunshow a few weeks ago .
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Feb 2022, 4:12 pm

I may have found a source of Aguila down here, but I think only their Competition stuff.
If they get back to me with prices I'm hoping to get some tomorrow for testing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 12:52 pm

I have six more types of ammo for testing now.
Aguila Subsonic HP
Aguila Super Extra HP
Aguila Target competition
Aguila Rifle Match
Stirling Pistol (Phillipine manufacture for Fuller firearms)
Federal American Eagle Suppressor 45gn - this might just be a different box from what I already have.
Just need some still weather now.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 03 Feb 2022, 1:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:I have six more types of ammo for testing now.
Aguila Subsonic HP
Aguila Super Extra HP
Aguila Rifle Match
Federal American Eagle Suppressor 45gn - this might just be a different box from what I already have.

Did they have the 60grain ones? I was shooting some steel in my henry pump and they were really hitting hard.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 1:50 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I have six more types of ammo for testing now.
Aguila Subsonic HP
Aguila Super Extra HP
Aguila Rifle Match

Did they have the 60grain ones? I was shooting some steel in my henry pump and they were really hitting hard.

No, though he may be able to get me some.
He had Aguila Pistol but somebody tried it, then came and bought all they had :-)

I was amazed to see half a dozen bottles of APS450 as well, but that's sold awaiting collection. Decent stock of rifle powders but no pistol/shotgun stuff.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2022, 2:31 pm

I built a new storage cupboard to better sort my .22 ammo over the weekend, and did a stock take while transferring it across.
Only 105 types as I've run out of some.

Didn't get completely still wind, but calmer than it's been for days, so I did a quick ammo test of the four Aguila types and the Philippines Stirling Pistol.
18202214195.jpg
18202214195.jpg (346.64 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

I used the RPR with the 10-40x56 at 50m.

The Stirling has zero information about it so I put 15rds through the chronograph first.
Speeds were from 1101fps to 1141fps, averaging 1121fps. One anomaly went 1231fps, but wasn't audibly supersonic so I excluded it. Four shots were supersonic. I didn't shoot the test over the chronograph but only a handful out of the box of the Stirling Pistol had a crack to them.

The groups weren't anything special but not awful. .84", .96", 1.07", 1.275", 1.37", 1.60" and 1.90" in order of size. The first four were terrible, then it settled to around the inch or less, fine for plinking, hunting or Silhouettes. Groups were about 25mm high, 25mm left of the Eley Edge 50m zero. Probably 2-2.5MoA ammo.

Then the Aguila subsonic. My very first shot of Aguila appeared right on my crosshair, but then the group dropped at 1.72" :-)
They were .92", 1.12", 1.15", 1.31", 1.52", 1.52", 1.66", 1.72", 1.80" and 1.87". About 20mm high, 25mm left. The bigger groups were the first ones but I think it's probably about 1.20"-capable, or 2.5MoA.

Aguila Super Extra was supersonic and managed .70", 1.03" and 1.075" groups, but the rest were 1.30" to 1.90" and pretty poor overall. 2.5-3MoA I'd call it. 40mm high, 15mm left.

Aguila Rifle Match was the best, and fairly consistent. Groups were .55", .575", .800", .825", .85", .89", .91", 1.47", 1.55", 1.68". 25mm high, 15mm left. Probably fairly solid 1.5MoA ammo, possibly better with batching.

Aguila Target Competition was similar with a .515" group, the rest around 1.10" to 1.52", and one anomaly 2.33" group. 50mm high, 10mm left. Possibly 1-1.5MoA-capable, but 2-3MoA average.

The Stirling was $8, the Aguila Subs and Super Extra were $12, the two target ammos were $14 a box, with no discounting for bricks. Not sure if that's to discourage bulk buying or to make more money. The Stirling is cheap and shoots adequately, the Aguila is more expensive but not much better, for me. I think it's probably indicative of the pricing we can expect from now on though, I doubt we'll be seeing much for under $10 a box now.

If you have limited choices and Aguila is on the shelf, the Rifle Match and Target Comp are worth trying for accuracy, but it's a fair way short of a lot of other $15-25 ammo. If you just want plinking ammo go with the Subsonic. For me, the Super Extra 1280fps stuff doesn't have the accuracy for head-shooting rabbits, but would probably drop foxes very well with chest shots.

While I can still get better ammo I don't think I'll be buying more of these four Aguila types.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation