Bench shooting-recoil management

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Bench shooting-recoil management

Post by disco stu » 07 Jan 2022, 1:22 pm

I've only ever shot on a bench once. All other times I've shot 308 I've never found recoil much to worry about at all, even as a young teenager shooting SLRs (but they are a heavy rifle). But on the bench I was left thinking that I don't want to have to do that for to many shots. Obviously some difference between standing, sitting, prone type shots compared to on the bench with rests.

I've started reloading and will need to do a session or two at the range soon test the loads and see what suits my rifle best. To achieve this I'll obviously have to take a fair few shots, and also ensure technique is good and I'm not flinching.

Given the 308 has been fine all other times I've shot it, I'm assuming the issue is me and my technique at the bench.

This video offered some advice for technique that lines up with other things I've seen, plus advice from a guy that shoots some very large cartridges.
https://youtu.be/_FhxVS5A3gk

Main differences seem to be to get rifle closer to centre of body rather than out next to shoulder joint, and be sitting square to the rifle/target rather than angled

Do you more experienced shooters think following this will help with how I'm finding the recoil, or is there anything else I should take on board?

Some things I've heard conflicting info on its how tight to shoulder it should be, and if I should be really leaning into it. In the video (or possibly another) they seem to say you just pull back into shoulder with trigger hand with a little pressure, rather than getting it real tight. Being a tall bugger I find myself having to lean forward a fair bit to get a bit lower. Would being up straighter mean I go with it more and find it less of a "shock"? Being prone I've got basically all my weight behind it and don't find it an issue, making me think I don't really need to go with it/flex more.

Would really appreciate advice. Not having much luck finding the sort of info I thought would be out there.

Cheers, Stu
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Bench shooting-recoil management

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2022, 1:54 pm

disco stu wrote:I've only ever shot on a bench once. All other times I've shot 308 I've never found recoil much to worry about at all, even as a young teenager shooting SLRs (but they are a heavy rifle). But on the bench I was left thinking that I don't want to have to do that for to many shots. Obviously some difference between standing, sitting, prone type shots compared to on the bench with rests.

I've started reloading and will need to do a session or two at the range soon test the loads and see what suits my rifle best. To achieve this I'll obviously have to take a fair few shots, and also ensure technique is good and I'm not flinching.

Given the 308 has been fine all other times I've shot it, I'm assuming the issue is me and my technique at the bench.

This video offered some advice for technique that lines up with other things I've seen, plus advice from a guy that shoots some very large cartridges.
https://youtu.be/_FhxVS5A3gk

Main differences seem to be to get rifle closer to centre of body rather than out next to shoulder joint, and be sitting square to the rifle/target rather than angled

Do you more experienced shooters think following this will help with how I'm finding the recoil, or is there anything else I should take on board?

Some things I've heard conflicting info on its how tight to shoulder it should be, and if I should be really leaning into it. In the video (or possibly another) they seem to say you just pull back into shoulder with trigger hand with a little pressure, rather than getting it real tight. Being a tall bugger I find myself having to lean forward a fair bit to get a bit lower. Would being up straighter mean I go with it more and find it less of a "shock"? Being prone I've got basically all my weight behind it and don't find it an issue, making me think I don't really need to go with it/flex more.

Would really appreciate advice. Not having much luck finding the sort of info I thought would be out there.

Cheers, Stu

Due to arm and shoulder injuries I have become quite recoil sensitive, though .308 is fine. Mosin-Nagant's and 12ga guns are my biggest issue with painful recoil. .303's, .30-06 and 8x57mm aren't a problem so I can only put it down to the stock design.

If you can, build a bench at shoulder height, so you are freely standing behind the rifle. Keep solid contact between your shoulder and your cheek or the rifle will come back and punch you instead of just pushing. Worth remembering to tuck your thumb down beside the stock if it's close to your face.

I think leaning into the rifle/gun is more about the shooting than recoil mitigation, I lean in quite a lot.

I also find that keeping my shoulders squarer to the buttstock can help, I normally roll my body around the left side of the rifle, often I can tuck my left ear into my shoulder (as I don't wear hearing protection, putting a large lump of meat between my ear and the bang knocks a lot of the obnoxiousness out of it). But keeping squarer to the butt allows the rifle, or gun, to roll me rather than just push me back. This might all be an artifact of my specific injuries though. Just try different things until you find what works for you.

If you just need a bit more resilience for test sessions you can get gel pads you can put under your shirt to absorb some recoil and spread the rest over more surface area.

It may simply be that the stock doesn't suit your body structure very well, but I think that can only be determined by trying different rifles.

I also tried several kg of bullets strapped to the butt to more than double the weight of the gun. It certainly helped tame recoil, and it let the gun swing beautifully, but in no way was it practical for regular use :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 07 Jan 2022, 3:27 pm

Thanks BR. I'm using the benches at the range, so can't build something better suited to me unfortunately. Standing would be great I reckon.

You brought up another good point. Stock fit. From all that I've read on that, to check hold rifle with fingers around grip and finger around trigger, it should come back into my elbow with a slight gap. Is that correct? As I'm tall I was thinking about that, but I've only got small gap to my elbow doing it that way
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2022, 3:35 pm

The solutions are simple.

Here are a few.

Only load 30 grains of powder. (2206H)
Only load 110 gr bullets.
Add 5kg of lead to the stock.
Only shoot standing.

The best option.

Sell the Howa along with the dies to me for $100 & buy a new 223 and dies. :)
P.S. I will go 50/50 on postage since I'm a generous prick.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 07 Jan 2022, 3:52 pm

Someone I know has a 223 and dies that they could just give me instead. Will have to be interstate transfer though as they live in vic :P
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm

disco stu wrote:Someone I know has a 223 and dies that they could just give me instead. Will have to be interstate transfer though as they live in vic :P

Dafuck.png
Dafuck.png (150.76 KiB) Viewed 3083 times

LOL Ill pay that but.......No way Hos'e.

lol chimp.gif
lol chimp.gif (284.83 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2022, 4:22 pm

I have 10kg of lead I can lend you to try.

Lots of lead.jpg
Lots of lead.jpg (221.48 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 07 Jan 2022, 6:10 pm

I know, I could pull the but plate off and pour molten lead down there. Yes, that's a joke

I'm surprised I haven't read more info on this, as no experienced shooter is ever surprised when I say that I found the recoil much worse on the bench. They all agree
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Jan 2022, 7:13 pm

disco stu,
1) Try a PAST Recoil Shield
2) Position the butt on the chest.
p.s. I think it's called the pectoral muscle :)

In my experience only, you can't go wrong if you get the above right :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 07 Jan 2022, 8:34 pm

Thanks. I'll try finding one of those recoil shields.

Would a folded towel or small sand bag help as an alternative?

I'm wondering if I should try throwing in something else to sit the bags on to raise rifle up further also, help get me more upright. Or I could try kneeling rather than using the chair, not sure on the rules on that part
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 07 Jan 2022, 11:30 pm

Hi mate, I find I rotate the chair sideways, back to the left and sort of lean off the thing and into the bench. I have the rifle quite a way forward and am making contact over the edge of the table. This seems to work for recoil for me, up to stout 45/70 and 300 Win Mag type recoil levels at least.

The other thing you could try somewhat inexpensively is a slip-on butpad. It'll change the length of pull by a bit but will help with the recoil level. If your current pad is hard this may give a very good reduction for you.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2022, 12:42 am

The reason is simple. Its punching you rather than pushing you. You need to roll with the punch. Rather than remain ridged.

Pull the rifle firmly into the shoulder.
Try to sit a little more upright.
And as boingk said, twist a little to the left.

Tape 10kg of lead to the stock. :)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Jan 2022, 8:44 am

The stock is the old standard Hogue that usually comes with Howas. Any of the slip on butt pads improve over the rubber pad on that?

Unless that 300WM is especially heavy it would have to kick harder than my rifle in 308 I would imagine

I've heard many people say that the really large calibers are more like a push than a punch and easier to shoot in that way. The punch does describe the feeling off bench, but not when prone or sitting, so I'll try going more upright whatever way I can.

I also read an interesting article where the guy was saying to hold the fore end, even when on the bench with bags, for better recoil control and also because that's how you shoot in the field when hunting. Seemed logical, though the natural action is to reach around to the butt in that situation
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Jan 2022, 9:31 am

disco stu,
You could try holding the fore end. You definitely want to be upright. At Belmont they have height adjustable stools and they work for me. As boingk says, a slip-on will increase LOP, as will a sandbag, towel etc. The Recoil Shield too. You might not like that.
As for Big Guns, after firing a 375 H&H a couple of times in the standing position, it felt like the damn thing was impaled in my shoulder :crazy:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 08 Jan 2022, 9:56 am

My 338lapua kicks less than a 308 because it is about 10kg. However the blast is was gets me. Shooting a couple of boxes and it feels like I have been kicked in the head and have concussion.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 08 Jan 2022, 10:19 am

I've got a Caldwell shoulder pad for the sharp kickers like 7mm mag, safari cals and slugs. Can shoot them all day with that thing.
I've also got a lap mag that's a puppy dog given it's so heavy.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2022, 6:28 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:My 338lapua kicks less than a 308 because it is about 10kg. However the blast is was gets me. Shooting a couple of boxes and it feels like I have been kicked in the head and have concussion.

And you thought i was joking.
Pour 2 or 3kg of lead shot or sinkers into the stock. Lol maybe fill a plastic bag, then its easy to remove after the session.

If you need to use a rag to fill the gap.

Could use sand I guess.

Lol. It isnt rocket science. :allegedly: :sarcasm:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Jan 2022, 6:49 pm

I was actually thinking of doing just that OB, just not with the molten lead. Just have to work out removing the butt plate on the stock.

Thanks MontyShooter. I'll check out the caldwell pad also
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 08 Jan 2022, 6:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:My 338lapua kicks less than a 308 because it is about 10kg. However the blast is was gets me. Shooting a couple of boxes and it feels like I have been kicked in the head and have concussion.

And you thought i was joking.
Pour 2 or 3kg of lead shot or sinkers into the stock. Lol maybe fill a plastic bag, then its easy to remove after the session.

If you need to use a rag to fill the gap.

Could use sand I guess.

Lol. It isnt rocket science. :allegedly: :sarcasm:

I will try it out mate. :drinks:
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2022, 7:47 pm

disco stu wrote:I was actually thinking of doing just that OB, just not with the molten lead. Just have to work out removing the butt plate on the stock.

Thanks MontyShooter. I'll check out the caldwell pad also

I assume the Howa stocks are hollow.
Just ensure the lead/sand bag cant move around.

Shot gunners have been doing since the year dot. But it will change the balance of the rifle. But in this case doesnt matter.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 08 Jan 2022, 7:48 pm

You could try a different recoil pad? Do you have limbsavers over there?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Off topic - General conversation