Is this the end of the road for me ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Is this the end of the road for me ?

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jan 2022, 12:55 pm

I have recently become acutely aware that when I go to a firearms outlet/store,,,,, or browse sites the likes of "Used Guns" that I simply
don't see anything that I need , require or desire.
Failing something stunningly new in technology like,, a Lazer rifle,,,,,,, I can't see myself buying anything anymore.

Is this a real :problem: :problem: , or will I get over it ?
Or maybe I'm just getting too old ?

:? :huh: :problem: :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Is this the end of the road for me ?

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jan 2022, 1:31 pm

I feel your pain.
I was looking over my mental list of wants and it is getting damn short. A TRG would be nice! Or a Sako Kodiak in 375H&H
Looking at my list of needs? Well it is empty. I am struggling to find gaps and in fact think I may need to sell some.

I really do not need 3 Long rifles in 45 cal and 2 in 50 or 9 different 22's. But damned if I want to sell any.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 11 Jan 2022, 1:38 pm

Nothing wrong with that mate. My fleet is about full and I'm all the happier for it - I can concentrate on getting out there and making sure they are all at their full potential, and then using said rifles in hunts/comps/whathaveyou.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jan 2022, 1:47 pm

boingk wrote:Nothing wrong with that mate. My fleet is about full and I'm all the happier for it - I can concentrate on getting out there and making sure they are all at their full potential, and then using said rifles in hunts/comps/whathaveyou.

- boingk

True
But I like acquisition as well. When I grow up I think I want to run a gun shop.
If I grow up. 52 and waiting......
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I have recently become acutely aware that when I go to a firearms outlet/store,,,,, or browse sites the likes of "Used Guns" that I simply
Failing something stunningly new in technology like,, a Lazer rifle,,,,,,, I can't see myself buying anything anymore.

I rarely get very enthused over seeing most things now, though my eyes nearly popped out over a beautiful Luger the other day. Being restricted to having to go to a club, when they're open, as opposed to walking out into the paddock whenever I feel like enjoying something I paid a lot of money for makes handguns not worth owning anymore. If I spotted a Brno Model 2 on a shelf I might be tempted to grab it, or a Remington 788 in .222rem, but I'm not actively pursuing them just yet.

There are still a few I'd like to get, like a .22LR Martini cadet, but I have a fairly wide variety of stuff I can play with already. Lack of primer and powder supply has caused a conscious decision to reduce centrefire shooting until that settles down, just in case in never does improve. .300WinMag would be a sensible addition as I already have dies and a pile of brass. But I have a sporterised Turk M1903 Mauser 8x57mm that I keep having ideas about turning into a big blaster rather than buy another modern rifle, 8mmRemMag being the obvious one. I haven't seen anything interesting in modern rifles for decades.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jan 2022, 2:02 pm

[/quote]There are still a few I'd like to get, like a .22LR Martini cadet, but I have a fairly wide variety of stuff I can play with already. Lack of primer and powder supply has caused a conscious decision to reduce centrefire shooting until that settles down, just in case in never does improve. .300WinMag would be a sensible addition as I already have dies and a pile of brass. But I have a sporterised Turk M1903 Mauser 8x57mm that I keep having ideas about turning into a big blaster rather than buy another modern rifle, 8mmRemMag being the obvious one. I haven't seen anything interesting in modern rifles for decades.[/quote]

The Turkish Mauser would make a nice 9.3X62! Or 45 ACP
Just remember they are a small ring even though they don't look it so not sure on going magnum.
Maybe go one of these.
Heavy but certainly has that "What the!"
http://fuchsfineguns.com/index.php/fine-guns/
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2022, 2:31 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
There are still a few I'd like to get, like a .22LR Martini cadet, but I have a fairly wide variety of stuff I can play with already. Lack of primer and powder supply has caused a conscious decision to reduce centrefire shooting until that settles down, just in case in never does improve. .300WinMag would be a sensible addition as I already have dies and a pile of brass. But I have a sporterised Turk M1903 Mauser 8x57mm that I keep having ideas about turning into a big blaster rather than buy another modern rifle, 8mmRemMag being the obvious one. I haven't seen anything interesting in modern rifles for decades.[/quote]

Just remember they are a small ring even though they don't look it so not sure on going magnum.
Maybe go one of these.
http://fuchsfineguns.com/index.php/fine-guns/[/quote]

9.3x62mm is an interesting cartridge worth looking at, but it means replacing a still good barrel. A quick look at the cartridge seems to indicate it prefers short blunt bullets to work in the Mauser magazine, and there are jacketed bullets available at fairly reasonable prices, but a big fat bullet like that just begs for casting your own. It might even be possible to swage .223Rem brass down (.377" to .366") to make jacketed bullets. S&B brass is $2.50 apiece but I have heaps of .30-06 for forming a variety of cases.

WTF is right :-) Nope, zero interest in pretty firearms, never have understood that fetish.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Jan 2022, 2:39 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
There are still a few I'd like to get, like a .22LR Martini cadet, but I have a fairly wide variety of stuff I can play with already. Lack of primer and powder supply has caused a conscious decision to reduce centrefire shooting until that settles down, just in case in never does improve. .300WinMag would be a sensible addition as I already have dies and a pile of brass. But I have a sporterised Turk M1903 Mauser 8x57mm that I keep having ideas about turning into a big blaster rather than buy another modern rifle, 8mmRemMag being the obvious one. I haven't seen anything interesting in modern rifles for decades.[/quote]

Maybe go one of these.
http://fuchsfineguns.com/index.php/fine-guns/[/quote]

This is wrong, the overwhelming majority of Turk Mausers are Large Ring, as all models purchased from 1898 are large Ring apart from thr 33/40, K98a and a couple of other odd variations that were not often used for the 1938 program. Large ring Turks include the 1903, 98/22, K98k, Gew98, K98AZ, 38/44, 03/38 and 1954ATF but the Turks did use a variation of Large Ring/Small Shank in the 1903 and 1938 K.Kale.

As for "end of the road", not me, not by a long chalk as my latest daydream wish list, just for military rifles 1850 to 1950 still runs over 300 models needed (desperately), so Die Judicii just needs to lift his game and BUY! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Jan 2022, 3:20 pm

What class(Or whatever they are called in your state) of licence do you have? Not to mention your financial means?

Perhaps it is worthwhile exploring the other licence classes if you have not already?

Around a million dollars and you can be a farmer in Queensland with pistols,AR15s, and SLRs on a thousand acre property.
Last edited by Communism_Is_Cancer on 11 Jan 2022, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 11 Jan 2022, 3:20 pm

I only have 1 or 2 I'd really like to get that I'd actually have a use for,thats a 58 hawken and a 62 trade musket. I've been after those 2 for years. Beyond that,my needs are well and truly met with what is in the safe atm,to an excess even. Actually considering selling guns !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Jan 2022, 3:22 pm

bigpete wrote:I only have 1 or 2 I'd really like to get that I'd actually have a use for,thats a 58 hawken and a 62 trade musket. I've been after those 2 for years. Beyond that,my needs are well and truly met with what is in the safe atm,to an excess even. Actually considering selling guns !

I got goose pimples!!! I have never sold a gun before. Don't know if I could.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jan 2022, 3:27 pm

[/quote]

This is wrong, the overwhelming majority of Turk Mausers are Large Ring, as all models purchased from 1898 are large Ring apart from thr 33/40, K98a and a couple of other odd variations that were not often used for the 1938 program. Large ring Turks include the 1903, 98/22, K98k, Gew98, K98AZ, 38/44, 03/38 and 1954ATF but the Turks did use a variation of Large Ring/Small Shank in the 1903 and 1938 K.Kale.

[/quote]
I confess to have only limited exposure to Turkish mausers. Both made in the 1930's at Ankara both in 7.92X57, I rebarrelled both and they were small ring barrel threads on a large ring receiver. This would also explain why I have seen an occasional Turkish Mauser with a Swedish M96/M38 barrel affixed
Thank you for the correction.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 11 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm

I feel your pain. I’m in that same boat.
I’m hanging out for a Henry X model in 30-30 if they ever arrive. A single barrel Henry 12 gauge would also look good in my safe.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 11 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm

Anything I want I cant afford. Try it you'll feel better
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigpete » 11 Jan 2022, 4:35 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
bigpete wrote:I only have 1 or 2 I'd really like to get that I'd actually have a use for,thats a 58 hawken and a 62 trade musket. I've been after those 2 for years. Beyond that,my needs are well and truly met with what is in the safe atm,to an excess even. Actually considering selling guns !

I got goose pimples!!! I have never sold a gun before. Don't know if I could.

I would seriously doubt that you've owned as many guns as I have....thats how I've managed to try so many different guns in my life
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 11 Jan 2022, 4:38 pm

northdude wrote:Anything I want I cant afford. Try it you'll feel better

Ha ha thats it ! I'd love a paradox gun but I'll never afford it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 11 Jan 2022, 5:10 pm

Id actually like a m113apc those things are cool. Wouldn't need any guns on it I'm sure i could partially fill it...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm

northdude wrote:Id actually like a m113apc those things are cool. Wouldn't need any guns on it I'm sure i could partially fill it...

Always liked the look of a Ferret scout car.....
Need a bigger safe to fit it though.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jan 2022, 9:09 pm

I got one of these. There's always room for one more.

https://youtu.be/aP3jfe_Zhe0
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 11 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm

mchughcb wrote:I got one of these. There's always room for one more.

Drilling could be cool. Or Veirling
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2022, 9:27 pm

This happens when u already have too many. My dad has a soft spot for my blr243 , couple of days ago he asked me if he could have it. I said of course .... it will be nice to have more space in the safe .. I would rather give away to someone I know than to sell to someone I don’t. So now if I have to change my username does u all have any ideas for me?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jan 2022, 9:28 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
mchughcb wrote:I got one of these. There's always room for one more.

Drilling could be cool. Or Veirling

I have 3 drillings. I've looked at the vierling and someone I know has one. Problem is they are too heavy, like 4.1kg.
My drillings range from 3.45kg to 3.6kg which is plenty heavy enough for hunting all day.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 11 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I have recently become acutely aware that when I go to a firearms outlet/store,,,,, or browse sites the likes of "Used Guns" that I simply

Hi don't see that you have a problem at all it is truly a very lucky man who does not want or need anything in his chosen Pursuits .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm

It might be a tumour, I'd be very concerned, definitely worth a trip to your gp for a chat.

I went through the same feelings about 5 years ago, it's a very good indication that you've finally satisfied 99% of your firearms needs for your current situation, desire and needs... a very good place to be :drinks:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jan 2022, 9:37 pm

What about a verney carron veloce 12G for fun?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jan 2022, 10:40 pm

Blr243 wrote:This happens when u already have too many. My dad has a soft spot for my blr243 , couple of days ago he asked me if he could have it. I said of course .... it will be nice to have more space in the safe .. I would rather give away to someone I know than to sell to someone I don’t. So now if I have to change my username does u all have any ideas for me?

How about, "Used to be BLR243"

That should be clear enough,,, and avoid any confusion. :lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jan 2022, 11:02 pm

deye243 wrote:Hi don't see that you have a problem at all it is truly a very lucky man who does not want or need anything in his chosen Pursuits .

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one from here that's on this turkey shoot.

Over the years, I have slowly sold and upgraded pretty carefully so as to now have something I can just grab when and as needed,,,,,
A collection that enables me to handle anything that Australia can provide, indeed most places anywhere.

I've made the choices trying not to duplicate within reason,, all except for 3 or 4 .22lr's but they do come in various forms to suit various needs.

An assortment of .308's but again, differing barrel twists specifically to suit my needs.

The rest are all individual calibers for individual needs.

So yes,,,,,,,,,, I'm in a happy place :drinks: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jan 2022, 11:11 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
boingk wrote:Nothing wrong with that mate. My fleet is about full and I'm all the happier for it - I can concentrate on getting out there and making sure they are all at their full potential, and then using said rifles in hunts/comps/whathaveyou.

- boingk

True
But I like acquisition as well. When I grow up I think I want to run a gun shop.
If I grow up. 52 and waiting......

Ah yes,,,,,,,,,, the "New Acquisition" feeling.
That,,,, never seems to fade.
When you put in your order,,,, and the dollars down.

Just like a kid in a lolly shop with his hand in the pocket grasping a handful of coins,,,,,,,,,, Ahhhhhhh,,, those were the days. :clap:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 12 Jan 2022, 8:16 am

Blr243 wrote:This happens when u already have too many. My dad has a soft spot for my blr243 , couple of days ago he asked me if he could have it. I said of course .... it will be nice to have more space in the safe .. I would rather give away to someone I know than to sell to someone I don’t. So now if I have to change my username does u all have any ideas for me?

How about "Bloke formally known as BLR243"
Or
"BLR243less"
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 12 Jan 2022, 8:43 am

I also wouldn’t mind a model 94 trapper in 30-30. But I’d be selling my Marlin 30-30 to buy it and save having two of them. I just can’t decide if it’s worth selling a pretty new rifle to buy an older used one.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation