SMLE Shotgun

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

SMLE Shotgun

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 17 Jan 2022, 12:19 pm

Has anybody seen one of these before and know much about them? A no 1 mk 3 in 410? Very cool. It states it is Indian so maybe they made a few for trials or something?

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/414444/
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: SMLE Shotgun

Post by bigpete » 17 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm

I believe they were a pretth common conversion,only single shot though
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 17 Jan 2022, 1:15 pm

Have seen a couple in my shooting time and even fired one. Interesting but not for me.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 17 Jan 2022, 3:10 pm

At least in 410 you don't have to worry about the lousy accuracy of the SMLE
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 17 Jan 2022, 3:12 pm

Probably improved accuracy
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2022, 3:54 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Has anybody seen one of these before and know much about them? A no 1 mk 3 in 410? Very cool. It states it is Indian so maybe they made a few for trials or something?

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/414444/

I think the originals used a .303 case blown out to straight-wall. Later versions then got converted to standard .410 shotshells.
I think originals were single-shot also.

Good way to build an overweight close-range .410 is all. Grab yourself a SMLE and a Boito .410 and let them do their own jobs.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 17 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm

Can’t stake your tomato’s to a boito
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Jan 2022, 4:42 pm

They were converted by the thousand for Police riot use and are still in service today.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by geoff » 18 Jan 2022, 12:21 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:They were converted by the thousand for Police riot use and are still in service today.

Genuine question - whereabouts is a heavy, single shot 410 gauge shotgun still in service with police for riot use?
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2022, 3:01 pm

geoff wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:They were converted by the thousand for Police riot use and are still in service today.

Genuine question - whereabouts is a heavy, single shot 410 gauge shotgun still in service with police for riot use?

Very likely still in a few lockers in way out of the way Indian villages. Probably haven't been fired in fifty years though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Jan 2022, 11:33 pm

geoff wrote:

G'day geoff, As bladeracer said these are still to be found in rural areas and even some main centres. The most recent I have seen is during the Farmers Protest in Punjab last year. As an indication of the ongoing use of old arms, the most populous State in India, Uttar Pradesh, still has over 50,000 Lee Enfield 303's in police service. The SMLE shotgun is also used by Pakistan along the NW Frontier region, cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by geoff » 19 Jan 2022, 12:47 am

No1Mk3 wrote:
geoff wrote:

G'day geoff, As bladeracer said these are still to be found in rural areas and even some main centres. The most recent I have seen is during the Farmers Protest in Punjab last year. As an indication of the ongoing use of old arms, the most populous State in India, Uttar Pradesh, still has over 50,000 Lee Enfield 303's in police service. The SMLE shotgun is also used by Pakistan along the NW Frontier region, cheers.

Well there you go hey

Every day is a school day
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ed9362 » 20 Jan 2022, 4:57 am

i have a SMLE converted to 410, the foreend stock has been cut down to a shorter length and it is quite light.
my dad bought it for me for my 12th birthday and i have been using it ever since.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 20 Jan 2022, 10:13 am

Cheers for the info all. Here is a good video on the conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzWrMhDYL3M
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Cheers for the info all. Here is a good video on the conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzWrMhDYL3M

Little slip of the tongue by Ian, GRI doesn't mean Georgius Rex 1st, but Georgius Rex Imperator, as the Monarch was considered Emporer of India, and George 1 died in 1727.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation