Lightning strike

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Lightning strike

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2022, 6:02 pm

The house was struck by lightning on Friday at six o'clock in the evening. I thought water had gotten into the Tesla battery and it had exploded under the verandah :-)
Home phone is still out. I don't know if any neighbours actually lost power, or if the phone issue is just ours or across the area.
The NBN is fine but it blew the wireless and the repeaters that transmit the signal down to the house. So our internet involves coming up the hill to plug the laptop into the cable :-)

I came down crook with a cold on Wednesday so have been in a bed a bit. Nearly over it at last but it's hanging onto my lungs.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Lightning strike

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:The house was struck by lightning on Friday at six o'clock in the evening. I thought water had gotten into the Tesla battery and it had exploded under the verandah :-)
Home phone is still out. I don't know if any neighbours actually lost power, or if the phone issue is just ours or across the area.
The NBN is fine but it blew the wireless and the repeaters that transmit the signal down to the house. So our internet involves coming up the hill to plug the laptop into the cable :-)

I came down crook with a cold on Wednesday so have been in a bed a bit. Nearly over it at last but it's hanging onto my lungs.

Sh!t Mate,,,,, sounds like you've got xxxxxxxx
Better hope its only dicktheria and kneemonia.
Get well soon.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2022, 9:20 pm

How’s your ears blade ? Bloke I know lost most of his hearing from a near strike
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 12:17 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:The house was struck by lightning on Friday at six o'clock in the evening. I thought water had gotten into the Tesla battery and it had exploded under the verandah :-)

Sh!t Mate,,,,, sounds like you've got xxxxxxxx
Better hope its only dicktheria and kneemonia.
Get well soon.
:thumbsup:

Had a RAT early when I started to feel crook. Just been a cold, but my lungs are my weak point. The rest of me is fine now, just struggling to breathe a bit, especially going uphill :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 12:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:How’s your ears blade ? Bloke I know lost most of his hearing from a near strike

Was certainly the loudest bang I've ever heard, but I was inside. The room lit up bright red from the flash.
I was just now examining the remote phone ringer, it got blown off the wall and and smashed against the opposite wall of the lounge. The phone plug into it is toasty.
Don't know what is wrong with the TV. It was off at the time but Rose's mum wheeled it out for the news, switched on, and sparks and smoke came out of the wiring somewhere. It did trip the fuse so my guess is the power circuit is fried. I'll have to get something and plug it in to see if the circuit works, then work my way through things until I discover the cooked bit.

Rose's mum was standing at the edge of the verandah roof checking the water that was gouting off onto the lawn when the bang hit. She didn't see anything, just shook by the biggest damned bang. No obvious damage on the roof that I can see. It could've hit the antenna or the copper HWS vent pipe but I don't know if it would leave any obvious mark.

I've had some hit the ground within 100m while I've been building roofs, and I've seen trees struck. The number of trees in our paddocks that have been blown apart by lightning would indicate it's fairly common.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Jan 2022, 2:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Blr243 wrote:How’s your ears blade ? Bloke I know lost most of his hearing from a near strike

Was certainly the loudest bang I've ever heard, but I was inside. The room lit up bright red from the flash.
I was just now examining the remote phone ringer, it got blown off the wall and and smashed against the opposite wall of the lounge. The phone plug into it is toasty.
Don't know what is wrong with the TV. It was off at the time but Rose's mum wheeled it out for the news, switched on, and sparks and smoke came out of the wiring somewhere. It did trip the fuse so my guess is the power circuit is fried. I'll have to get something and plug it in to see if the circuit works, then work my way through things until I discover the cooked.[/quote

We were away at the time, and presume the house was hit with lightning,,,,,,, but quite a few things got fried.
One in particular was a little plugin shoulder carry welder.
It was plugged in, at the time, and not even turned on.
The electrician at the Welder Supply shop said the mother board was fried in reverse,,,,, ie: the power surge entered via the back door, meaning the earth pin.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2022, 7:39 pm

Telstra finally came out today and sorted the phone. Had to replace the wiring under the floors. He took it away but showed us what he removed. The wires had blown apart at random intervals along its length, never seen anything like it before.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation