Wanting to leave Sydney

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Wanting to leave Sydney

Post by duddley75 » 03 Feb 2022, 2:16 pm

So me and the Mrs live in Sydney in a nice suburb. We are over the Sydney rat race and the mortgages etc and looking to make a change to a more town type location.

Considering places like Mudgee and Orange (fairly certain like thousands others). Ideally though probably prefer towns outside these bigger places such as Crookwell or Gulgong as examples.

Plan is to get a decent house (3br) and then separate bit of land for recreation (no more than 30 minutes from main house).

Has anyone down something similar or recommendations for nice areas Nth/Sth/West of Sydney?
Last edited by duddley75 on 03 Feb 2022, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Wanting to leave Sydney

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 03 Feb 2022, 2:28 pm

Would you live in another state?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 03 Feb 2022, 4:38 pm

You probably can't go wrong with the Crookwell area. Any of the higher elevation areas in NSW I think would be appealing.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Shootermick » 03 Feb 2022, 5:16 pm

I had a girlfriend years ago and she was in Crookwell for a while. Beautiful spot when I used to visit her there.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 03 Feb 2022, 6:19 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Would you live in another state?

I should of mentioned, want to stay within about a 5hr drive to Sydney (family etc). So no prefer to stay in NSW.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 03 Feb 2022, 6:21 pm

Thanks for the comments re Crookwell, certain high up on our list.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 03 Feb 2022, 6:49 pm

I hear you.
I have been looking at rural properties I reckon for at least 10 years dreaming of owning a weekender within 4 hours of Sydney. Somewhere I could go on weekends with my young boys because similarly, I need a break from the rat race.
If it was to relocate, I'd go further out. I've been a fan of the snowy mountains area but in my search was looking at southern highlands Including Taralga, Goulburn, Boorowa, wyangala and even Cooma. In other directions, maybe Cowra, Mudgee, Gloucester.
Prices have doubled over the last 2 years. I regret not buying something 5 years ago. Things sell so quickly and sales prices change to auctions when there is demand.
It's the kids, family and job that keep me in sydney. It would be nice to have bought a place to retire on in years to come. Now I'm going to wait in the hope the bubble will burst. I suppose interest rates will rise too.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 03 Feb 2022, 8:56 pm

I found you a place, only a couple of hrs from Sydney, Red deer and fallow nearby along with trout :drinks:

https://www.realestate.com.au/property- ... -137840966
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 03 Feb 2022, 9:14 pm

Bill wrote:I found you a place, only a couple of hrs from Sydney, Red deer and fallow nearby along with trout :drinks:

Yeah I'd buy it but the deck needs oiling :lol:
What a magnificent place!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 03 Feb 2022, 11:12 pm

Go all the way West mate. Check out Broken Hill.

3~4br house for under 250k. Hell, some under 150. Not much around the town but has an airport, Kmart/Coles/Woolies takeaway chains, etc etc.

Mildura (Vic) 3 hours South, Adelaide 5 hours West and plenty of opportunities to own/access land if you want it.

If you're after bang-for-your-buck in a town with more than 15k people thats about the best in the state.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by womble » 04 Feb 2022, 2:54 am

Broken Hill yes, the wastelands.
Come for the gasoline. Stay for he chrome.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Feb 2022, 7:52 am

The trouble with your plan is that plenty of city folk have already done it and a lot more are doing it. That has created an upsurge in prices that places them in the city price range. The Sothern Highlands, where I'm from, saw this start years ago and it has now basically turned into an over-priced "sleeper" suburb of Sydney. Family homes like you seek are now in the $1M+ price bracket. All of the productive farmland that the area was comprised of not that long ago, is now under housing.
Orange, Mudgee, Goulburn, etc.,( basically all of the towns you mention ), are now in the same situation. It starts with hobby farms and descends into suburbia.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 04 Feb 2022, 8:46 am

Bill wrote:I found you a place, only a couple of hrs from Sydney, Red deer and fallow nearby along with trout :drinks:

Wow what a place. Amazing views

Thanks for the suggestion, I just put an offer in to the real estate.

2 mins later they responded and said I must have left a zero or two off my offer. :unknown: :unknown:
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dandry » 04 Feb 2022, 8:46 am

Have a look at Coonabarabran-4.5 hours from Sydney, still reasonably priced, plenty of town services and not far from Dubbo for the big shops etc. pop. ~5000
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 04 Feb 2022, 8:50 am

Gamerancher wrote:The trouble with your plan is that plenty of city folk have already done it and a lot more are doing it. That has created an upsurge in prices that places them in the city price range. The Sothern Highlands, where I'm from, saw this start years ago and it has now basically turned into an over-priced "sleeper" suburb of Sydney. Family homes like you seek are now in the $1M+ price bracket. All of the productive farmland that the area was comprised of not that long ago, is now under housing.
Orange, Mudgee, Goulburn, etc.,( basically all of the towns you mention ), are now in the same situation. It starts with hobby farms and descends into suburbia.

Looking at Real estate.com.au and Domain still seem to have some of the places we are looking at in our price range. Issue is we are looking at either end of this year to early next year so plenty of time for prices to continue to rise. :cry:

We have also considered buying a run down place and knocking it done and rebuilding but i think that has its own dramas.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 04 Feb 2022, 8:51 am

Dandry wrote:Have a look at Coonabarabran-4.5 hours from Sydney, still reasonably priced, plenty of town services and not far from Dubbo for the big shops etc. pop. ~5000

Thanks will check it out.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 04 Feb 2022, 8:51 am

boingk wrote:Go all the way West mate. Check out Broken Hill.

3~4br house for under 250k. Hell, some under 150. Not much around the town but has an airport, Kmart/Coles/Woolies takeaway chains, etc etc.

Mildura (Vic) 3 hours South, Adelaide 5 hours West and plenty of opportunities to own/access land if you want it.

If you're after bang-for-your-buck in a town with more than 15k people thats about the best in the state.

- boingk

Too far out unfortunately, both from family in Sydney and if I have to go into the city on the odd occasion for work.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 04 Feb 2022, 8:55 am

Area surrounding Albury is good, Walla, Culcairn Jindera etc
We escaped Melbourne for just outside Albury a couple of years back, peak hour may see a half dozen cars banked up at a roundabout, almost nil silly / aggressive driving.
Anything you could want is available and close at hand in either Albury or Wodonga, we did not consider remaining in Victoria, had enough of Dan.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Feb 2022, 8:56 am

I used to work out of Crookwell and it got Damn Cold!
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 04 Feb 2022, 6:07 pm

Used to shoot on a number of properties around Crookwell, Goulburn and Marulan. Looked at buying some land a while back, and regret not doing it. Marulan especially but the properties I used to shoot on were sold and carved up for hobby farms etc and that ended the hunting in those parts. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 04 Feb 2022, 8:55 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I used to work out of Crookwell and it got Damn Cold!

I played Rugby at Oberon once and it snowed :lol: :crazy:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Feb 2022, 9:03 pm

Trouble is Duddley,,,,,, It sounds a bit like you are wanting your cake and eating it as well.
And,,,,,, why bother selling,,, searching,,,, and buying again,,,,, when your needs/desires are hardly even getting out of the burbs anyway ?

If your looking for elevation,,, try Tawonga.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duddley75 » 07 Feb 2022, 9:01 am

Die Judicii wrote:Trouble is Duddley,,,,,, It sounds a bit like you are wanting your cake and eating it as well.
And,,,,,, why bother selling,,, searching,,,, and buying again,,,,, when your needs/desires are hardly even getting out of the burbs anyway ?

I have always thought that is a strange saying, what's the point of having cake if you can't eat it.

Why bother? Well rather than living in an older house that is in need of a decent amount of reno which I have a decent mortgage on, I could sell up , move to a much nicer place than Sydney, live in a modest (3/4bdr) near new house with zero mortgage.

It would also allow to have have my own recreational block relatively nearby (once again mortgage free).

Anyone live in Dubbo? Been seeing some nice places around there.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 07 Feb 2022, 9:52 am

Move to Queensland mate. A lot cheaper land and better gun laws. Only takes around 100 acres and some cattle and you can get your cat C for property use.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duddley75 » 07 Feb 2022, 9:56 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Move to Queensland mate. A lot cheaper land and better gun laws. Only takes around 100 acres and some cattle and you can get your cat C for property use.

I wouldn't mind it, but the Mrs wants to be in relatively near driving distance to her family in Sydney (4 - 5 hrs). and both our jobs will need us to drop in from time to time in the city.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2022, 10:44 am

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Move to Queensland mate. A lot cheaper land and better gun laws. Only takes around 100 acres and some cattle and you can get your cat C for property use.

Ya conveniently forgot to mention that once gained (C Class license/weapons) cannot be used anywhere other than the listed property.
And cannot be taken from said property unless being taken to a place of repair (gunsmith) or Licensed Dealer for storage or sale thereof.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2022, 10:48 am

duddley75 wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Trouble is Duddley,,,,,, It sounds a bit like you are wanting your cake and eating it as well.

I have always thought that is a strange saying, what's the point of having cake if you can't eat it.

That's the WHOLE point of the saying Mate,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by markg » 08 Feb 2022, 11:49 am

Towards Cooma and surrounds has a lot to offer. Like everyone else said, prices have really gone up a lot the last few years. You need to score a decent block and perhaps wack a kit home up. Sometime cockies sell off blocks so keep an eye out in the rural papers. Cooma is central to everywhere, Canberra, South coast Bega etc. Good Deer hunting and fishing too. We have a small holding out past Numeralla with river frontage and were fortunate enough to get an irrigation licence with it. That was a huge benefit. Be aware that some councils won't permit permanent dwellings such as houses in some areas. You can actually buy small prefab homes that come on wheels that are classed as a caravan so no council can complain. Check out van homes. Lots of ways to approach it, just need to keep in mind water, phone, and all weather acess. Sounds straightforward but dry periods can sometimes be quiete lengthy. Our river has dried up a few times over the years but we still have deeper pools to pump from but water quality then becomes an issue. So to does weeds, most rural councils have strict rules when it comes to dealing with some weeds like serrated tussock, love grass, and a few others, and they require you to keep them under control which can be expensive. Go for a couple of cleared acres and some bush. NO bush really close to the house. We had massive bushfires like everyone else but I didn't really worry as we had clear paddock all around house. Did have to be evacuated but never worried about the house to be honest. I know a bloke who has 600 acres for sale on the monaro at the moment. Another bloke I know just sold 700 acres for 2.4 mill. That was good cleared grazing land. The 600 is primarily bush though it has river frontage. As you get older it's important to have easy and fairly quick acess to a town for a host of reasons. Good roads if you have to travel to and from Sydney, even in holiday periods. Unlike going north. Keep it small, plenty of people around you will have larger lots and when you get to know them you will have all the space in the world to hunt fish or whatever. I'm sth coast bound in a couple of years and like you have been finding the prices skyrocketing. Just need to find the right set up.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2022, 2:59 pm

duddley75 wrote:

I wouldn't mind it, but the Mrs wants to be in relatively near driving distance to her family in Sydney (4 - 5 hrs). and both our jobs will need us to drop in from time to time in the city.

You could consider flying in and out, flights these days are not expensive, possibly even cheaper than you'd spend on fuel and tolls. The money you save by buying a few hours further away might well be worth a few flights per year, as long as you're not to far from a domestic flight service.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation