Eye test

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Eye test

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2022, 4:40 pm

Been having issues with poor vision in my right eye, my shooting eye. But my left eye is fine. Front sight posts are virtually invisible to me now, unless they're pretty heavy.

So I took the RPR out just now to shoot an eye test at 50m, with CCI Standard. Conditions were far from perfect, and shooting directly into the sun, but I wanted to see if there's a difference.

I shot three 5rd groups as normal - 1.405", 1.135", 1.03" in the order I fired them. First group was 3MoA left and low.

Then I removed the cheek rest so I could use my left eye. Very awkward with no cheek weld behind an 18-power scope. And without the cheek rest the butt stock is free to move, so the rifle was freely recoiling. It was like trying to shoot a pistol mounting a rifle scope - using the wrong eye, very uncomfortable. Despite this, the difference in clarity of the 13mm target dots, and the reticle was obvious. Groups were .89", .67", .57". I pulled one shot very badly.

Then I put the rest back on and went around the bench to shoot left-handed. This was even more uncomfortable. I do occasional LH practice, but mainly offhand, usually 12ga, and not very recently.

From a bench my positioning was terrible. I didn't know where to rest my head or where to place the butt in my shoulder. I was using a rear bag and I couldn't work that out either. That may just be due to thumb not being able grip or squeeze the bag though.

The biggest issue by far though is that I have no feel of the trigger, at all. My first shot I pulled down about 40mm. The next four impressed me at .99", then 1.17" and 1.44". Virtually identical to my normal RH shooting. The last group I pulled one 40mm left, and felt like I was pulling the trigger sideways instead of rearward.

Operating the bolt was lovely, as usual shooting from the left shoulder. But from the bench it meant I had to re-grip the bag every shot, and that is annoying.

All up, my left eye vision is very significantly clearer, and far more crisp. Even with no practice and a very awkward position I can shoot better using my left eye. More importantly, it's easier to shoot well. With my right eye I need to move my eye around to get a clear picture and I'm "fudging" a bit to try to aim at where I think the target is. It's slower and takes concentration. With some practice I would expect to be shooting as well as I used to shoot with my right eye.

But shooting left-handed will require a huge amount of practice to gain any competancy. I've pulled triggers with my right finger something like 200,000 times, with my left, including all the weak-hand IPSC drills, maybe 1000 times. I'll endeavour to do a lot more LH practice when I'm shooting, just to develop some trigger feel.

Then I pulled the scope and fired a LH 5rd and 10rd group at 40mm diamonds with iron sights. The AR15 sights work well for me, I would put them on everything if it were possible. I didn't specifically note it, but the 40mm diamond was tiny sitting atop the front post. Recalling the image I think the post must be about four times the width, about 200mm wide at 50m - it's far wider than the JW21 I've been using for Silhouette practice for years.

The 5rd group was 2.915". One was well left on it's own but I don't think I pulled it (it is likely but I don't recall any issue), and it's still within the bounds of the following 10rd group at 2.43". The groups were about 70mm left. The first was 15mm high, the second was 25mm high. Then I went around the bench and finished off right-handed. The 5rd group of 1.435" was about 100mm left and 35mm high. The 10rd group was 1.265", 100mm left and 40mm high. I pulled one of these to the left. The final shot went 40mm high, but I could not see the target at all. The sun was well in my eyes by then. I had some indication of the front post, but not the diamonds on the page. I was fishing around trying to pick out the black spot peripherally, then move the sight onto where I thought the spot was. I was in the vicinity but I can't call it an aimed shot.

The sights were infinitely more crisp through my left eye. But I shoot so much over iron sights I've learned to adapt to finding a sight picture. I have actually removed the sights completely on the JW21 and can still usually put 10 out of fifteen on the 50m half-scale pig simply from consistent cheekweld and familiarity of seeing the targets poking out around the obstruction of the rifle and sights. Lack of trigger feel is the issue shooting left-handed, the sight picture is excellent. Oh well, more practicing :-)

It can take months, sometimes years to get eye surgery, and it's relatively expensive. Rose's mum is having both eyes done in May and June. Her dad had one fifteen years ago with no improvement. My dad did one about the same time with the same result. Rose's mum's friend had one that failed and cost her the remaining sight in the eye. She had the other done, which also failed and she's been blind since. There are risks but they're small, which doesn't mean much if you're the anomaly. We'll see what the surgeon says, repair might not even be an option.

But the experiment was interesting, try it yourself sometime :-)
Attachments
1162022163237.jpg
1162022163237.jpg (161.14 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Eye test

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Feb 2022, 8:24 pm

Blade, I'm presuming you are talking about cataract surgery, and not some other condition.
FWIW,, I've had bothe left and right done.
I resisted to the point where I couldn't even see the reticle with my shooting eye (R)

But then had that one done first, and the results were spectacular.
Several years later I got the left one done and it too was a success.

These days, failures are a rarity, and the actual ops only take minutes to do.

The guy that did my first one was Australia's best but he's since died,, but I believe his son has taken over the reins, and isn't
too far from your area.
Recently when having a check up I mentioned the late professors name to the guy that I see now, and he said "Ahh yes, what a talented man,
he is still sadly missed.

If your interested in the sons name and place of practice PM me and I'll pass it on to you.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2022, 9:11 pm

No idea at this stage, I only have the optometrist seeing very early signs of a cataract. It could be something quite different causing my issues. Seeing my doc next week so she can put me onto a surgeon and find out what's happening and what the options are. Did you find your vision deteriorating fairly quickly, like just a year or two?

Yes, please, send the details through. Rose's mum is being done at Warragul but I don't have the details.

My optometrist has a guy that is a shooter, but he's not here just now. When he's back I'll talk to him about lens options just for shooting, at least it'll help while I'm waiting :-)

Die Judicii wrote:Blade, I'm presuming you are talking about cataract surgery, and not some other condition.
FWIW,, I've had bothe left and right done.
I resisted to the point where I couldn't even see the reticle with my shooting eye (R)

But then had that one done first, and the results were spectacular.
Several years later I got the left one done and it too was a success.

These days, failures are a rarity, and the actual ops only take minutes to do.

The guy that did my first one was Australia's best but he's since died,, but I believe his son has taken over the reins, and isn't
too far from your area.
Recently when having a check up I mentioned the late professors name to the guy that I see now, and he said "Ahh yes, what a talented man,
he is still sadly missed.

If your interested in the sons name and place of practice PM me and I'll pass it on to you.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 17 Feb 2022, 1:56 am

While it may not prevent ultimate deterioration, personally myself I would supplement my eyes with nutrition. I use Vitamin A on occasion and take various eye supplements such as Lutein, zeaxanthin, bilberry, saffron, etc.

I always notice a difference when I don't take my supplements. I notice my vision is sharper when I do.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2022, 10:14 am

wanneroo wrote:While it may not prevent ultimate deterioration, personally myself I would supplement my eyes with nutrition. I use Vitamin A on occasion and take various eye supplements such as Lutein, zeaxanthin, bilberry, saffron, etc.

I always notice a difference when I don't take my supplements. I notice my vision is sharper when I do.

I know that a variety of conditions can affect your eyesight, but that is interesting.
I'll look into that today.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 17 Feb 2022, 10:41 pm

Chap in my club has had both eyes treated for cataracts and has now done away with his glasses completely. He has worn glasses for as long as I've known him (over 20 years). He shoots handguns and Bigbore rifle. He did specifically say that he was asked if he any special requirements as shooters are one example of slightly different lenses I think he said. I am still trying to get used to seeing him not wearing glasses, just doesn't look right. :D

My late mother had cataract surgery on both eyes about a month apart. Mum remarked that what was most notable was that colours were much brighter and also that she only needed glasses for reading small writing.

As a side note her surgery was done at Neerim South hospital, both times as day procedures.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2022, 12:44 am

Sarco wrote:Chap in my club has had both eyes treated for cataracts and has now done away with his glasses completely. He has worn glasses for as long as I've known him (over 20 years). He shoots handguns and Bigbore rifle. He did specifically say that he was asked if he any special requirements as shooters are one example of slightly different lenses I think he said. I am still trying to get used to seeing him not wearing glasses, just doesn't look right. :D

My late mother had cataract surgery on both eyes about a month apart. Mum remarked that what was most notable was that colours were much brighter and also that she only needed glasses for reading small writing.

As a side note her surgery was done at Neerim South hospital, both times as day procedures.

Thanks Sarco.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 18 Feb 2022, 6:07 am

G'day,

I knew a very experienced shooter near me who had cataract surgery and found his vision vastly improved and much sharper. I'm developing a cataract in my right [sighting] eye. My optometrist is keeping a watch on it. It doesn't bother me now, but if and when it causes problems I'll be off to the surgeon.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation