Just Walking Out

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Just Walking Out

Post by bigpete » 17 Feb 2022, 12:19 pm

Has anyone just walked out on a job? After 26 years,I'm going to be doing so very soon. I just can't stand being here any longer. Due to recent events in the last 6 months I realise that providing a safe work environment for the companies workers is a long way down the ladder of priorities, and knowing that is not particularly pleasant. So after spending over half my life with this company I'm going to juat walk out. Scary stuff
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Just Walking Out

Post by noneyabussiness » 17 Feb 2022, 12:37 pm

my father in law is doing the same, been there 34 years ... just fed up with the politics and idiots at the top with no sense of what actually happens in the real world, and making idiotic decisions ... funny thing is, when he leaves, they have no one to replace him, so for at least 12 months ( to train new person) its going to be funny/ scary for the company ... if it survives...
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Feb 2022, 1:31 pm

G'day bigpete,
Yes it can be quite nervewracking. The "outside" world will be different but having done such things myself, and for the same reasons because safety is paramount, I found it also to be a stimulating challenge. For myself I tried to get the same type of work but couldn't settle and eventually chose to do a job completely different and really enjoyed it. Wharever you do, believe in yourself and the best of luck. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 17 Feb 2022, 1:58 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bigpete,
Yes it can be quite nervewracking. The "outside" world will be different but having done such things myself, and for the same reasons because safety is paramount, I found it also to be a stimulating challenge. For myself I tried to get the same type of work but couldn't settle and eventually chose to do a job completely different and really enjoyed it. Wharever you do, believe in yourself and the best of luck. Cheers.

I have been retired for some time now but a very good friend did what you did and is enjoying life far more than he ever did.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 17 Feb 2022, 3:23 pm

They can take that job and shove it up their arse.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 17 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bigpete,

Cheers mate.
I've already been passing out resumes like Oprah Winfrey gives out free cars lol. Likely I'll end up in the same line of work for a bit because its convenient, but I really want out of the industry full stop.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 17 Feb 2022, 4:03 pm

Good luck with it.
Everything stays the same if you don’t change it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Feb 2022, 4:44 pm

I started work at a place at 7 am one morning. By 723 am same day I had my tools packed up and driving out the gate ....sometimes you just know it’s time to go ......but , for income , and to keep that roof over your head, it’s nice to know there’s someone else that wants you soonish
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Feb 2022, 4:46 pm

Yep, I walked out at the end of the FIRST DAY from a job in the ACT.
Never done it before nor again after that once.
The conditions were unbelievably deplorable and I had great pleasure saying "I won't be back"

The problems concerning workplace safety (nowadays) can be put mostly on the unions. (from my personal experience)
And, I was actually a Union Organizer for just on two years.
I couldn't stand the bullsh!t and corruption that had crept in,,, especially at the higher levels.
At one stage the unions got everything right for the workers,, but then degenerated to a state of ridiculous with way over the top issues.
Then the fees were jacked up out of proportion to the stage that membership suffered.
From what I can deduce nowadays,,,,, workers (if members) pay exhorbitant fees, and get bugger all for it, as unions have now swung back the other
way, and have bugger all power.
From one extreme to the other,,,,,,,,,

So yeah bigpete,,,,,,,,, if that's what you wanna do, go for it Mate
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 17 Feb 2022, 6:12 pm

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 6mm Remington » 17 Feb 2022, 7:03 pm

All respect to you sir. Don't look back and move on with your sanity.
I can certainly relate to your situation having spent 35 years in the same job.
Some of the things that go on in my workplace these days are shameful.
The demographic has killed teamwork and there is no respectability anymore.
It is all just business. They do not have competent management. Just a bunch of unskilled relatives.
f*** em all, short and tall. Big or small, f*** em all.
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Feb 2022, 8:08 pm

I've definitely walked out of jobs for various reasons, sometimes I'll even burn the bridge down and enjoy the warmth of the fire on my way out.

Your health which includes your sanity is far more important than working in a poor workplace environment.

My only advice which no doubt your already planning to do is to line up the next job before telling ýor boss to stick his job up his ass.
If the workplace is exceptionally poor with safety you'd be doing all the remaining employees a favour by documenting all the unsafe behaviours and practices reporting it to safe work sa.
Also a exit interview with upper management weather they want one or not to give them a meaningful speach before you walk out the door. That will help you move on mentally and possibly get them thinking about the big picture.

Have no fear, I'd bet you be extremely valuable to a potential employer given your extensive experience in the field your working in, you'd be extremely employable.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 18 Feb 2022, 1:47 am

The days are long but the decades are short. We really are not here for long on this planet and there just isn't any point in wasting time on a situation that isn't serving you well anymore. I always propose that once you land a job, start thinking about your next move.

I walked on a job once that I can think of. I did put in a notice to leave but the abuse and cheating got worse and one afternoon I was like what is the point of this anymore staying here? So I left and that was that. It was a huge weight of stress lifted off of my shoulders.

There was another situation that was the inverse. Worked for this one company for seven years. Worked 7 months of the year, was paid well, had bonuses, full benefits, subsidized housing, got to work with Aussies and Kiwis in the winter, lot of fun. But I reached a point where I reached the highest pay step, maxxed out my whole situation and while it was a great part of my life it was simply time to move forward into new challenges. Once I realized that I spent my last summer with them lining up my next move and then made the jump.

I've basically been an independent contractor in my industry now for 15 years. There are two times where I had jobs that lasted a couple of days and realized these people were not a good fit for me, so I fulfilled my commitment, collected my check and never contacted them again.

What to realize is that nothing lasts forever. The old order thinking of you being "the company man" and work at XYZ corporation for 40 years and then they give you a gold watch and a pension, those days are long, long gone. The world moves pretty fast and you must put yourself first because one day or another you will not be there and the company will move forward without you. Everybody is ultimately disposable.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 18 Feb 2022, 2:07 am

noneyabussiness wrote:my father in law is doing the same, been there 34 years ... just fed up with the politics and idiots at the top with no sense of what actually happens in the real world, and making idiotic decisions ... funny thing is, when he leaves, they have no one to replace him, so for at least 12 months ( to train new person) its going to be funny/ scary for the company ... if it survives...

In those situations you can always take your knowledge and experience and become an independent contractor.

I heard a story recently about this one guy who retires and gets a call later about some critical piece of machinery failing in this hydroelectric plant he used to work in. He said I'll be happy to offer my services as a contractor to fix the problem and the plant manager readily agreed. He comes down and looks at the piece of equipment not running, get a hammer out, bangs on some part and the whole thing comes back to life and everyone is happy. He later sends an invoice for $10,000 for the repair. The plant manager gets back to him, $10K !!! So the guy adjusts the invoice and sends it back, $5 for swinging a hammer, $9995 for knowing where to hit with the hammer. And they paid it.

Personally in my opinion, I think the old school corporations and big companies are out of date, too bulky, too bureaucratic, too focused on non essential stuff. I think the next big economic crash is going to wipe out a lot of them.

Right now I am reading a great book "A Company Of One". Basically it's about how to set yourself up as a one man band and contract out for whatever you need instead of having a bunch of employees.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 18 Feb 2022, 2:23 am

Blr243 wrote:I started work at a place at 7 am one morning. By 723 am same day I had my tools packed up and driving out the gate ....sometimes you just know it’s time to go ......but , for income , and to keep that roof over your head, it’s nice to know there’s someone else that wants you soonish

Dudes need to always work on what we call "F-U money".

If anyone is living paycheck to paycheck, you need to start figuring out how to break that cycle.

I'd always develop some sort of secondary income source as well that way if anything goes wrong you immediately have something else to pay your living expenses if need be.

One of the things I have discovered is the more employers find out you have options and don't really need them, assuming you bring value to the table and do good work, the better they treat you. If they know you are some tapped out dude with endless problems, financial issues and you are stuck, they tend to treat you like crap.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 18 Feb 2022, 3:08 am

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 18 Feb 2022, 5:16 am

I was a few months short of 20 years with the same company when I resigned late last year.
I have been wanting to leave for years but got comfortable and found it too stressful to consider starting a new job.
Luckily covid came along and I was a close contact which had me working from home. At that time I also realised the company wasn't doing too well so I contacted a recruiter. Within a few days I had opportunities and ended up taking the plunge.
I must say it has been a huge change adapting to a new company, but the respect and appreciation is what motivates me. Having a good boss who appreciates you makes a big difference. It's hard at first, especially after so many years with the same company, but even if it doesn't work out, there are still other options.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 18 Feb 2022, 10:50 am

Cheers guys.
I've been wanting out of this company for years but got too comfortable. But with recent events, and the fact I've amassed a reasonable amount of savings,I see zero reason to hang around and do another harvest for them. The physical,mental,and emotional toll on myself and my family far outweighs anything working for them gives me. The hard part is,its almost like leaving your family,I've worked here since age 18 and I'm now 44,I've probably spent more time at work than with my family,so it is a hard thing to do. Still,its gotta be done. It's been made abundantly clear that I'm expendable and easily replaced and my experience and opinions based on 27 years in the industry mean nothing,so its just time
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by rc42 » 18 Feb 2022, 11:20 am

There's a global phenomenon called "The Great Resignation" with the Covid pandemic opening the eyes of salary slaves everywhere, they are realizing just how little value they really have to big corporations and quitting in record numbers..

This is being reported as a labor shortage in the US rather than a shortage of jobs that have decent conditions and a living wage, the fix in some states has been to roll back child labor laws to increase the number of people that can be exploited.

There is some fun reading here amongst the made up posts by attention seekers:
https://old.reddit.com/r/antiwork/
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 18 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm

bigpete wrote:Cheers guys.
I've been wanting out of this company for years but got too comfortable. But with recent events, and the fact I've amassed a reasonable amount of savings,I see zero reason to hang around and do another harvest for them. The physical,mental,and emotional toll on myself and my family far outweighs anything working for them gives me. The hard part is,its almost like leaving your family,I've worked here since age 18 and I'm now 44,I've probably spent more time at work than with my family,so it is a hard thing to do. Still,its gotta be done. It's been made abundantly clear that I'm expendable and easily replaced and my experience and opinions based on 27 years in the industry mean nothing,so its just time

All you get looking behind is a sore neck, so a lot of situations work for a while and then they don't. So I'd start looking forward to the next move forward.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 18 Feb 2022, 5:05 pm

All done.
Bring on the new chapter of my life !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 18 Feb 2022, 5:26 pm

Well done. Kudos for your initiative. You will win. Just be persistent.

Have some more motivational music https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc8bQoL-J0
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2022, 6:12 pm

Well done BP :drinks:
I know just how hard it is to move on after working in one place for soooo long.
Starting a new job will be energising and give you motivation in so many ways. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lsfan » 18 Feb 2022, 6:27 pm

bigpete wrote:All done.

Good on you! You're similar age to me Pete and another motivator for me was that we will soon be harder to employ. You picked a good time.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 18 Feb 2022, 6:47 pm

Walked out on a few jobs over the years, if it doesn't feel right or you're not happy then it's time to move on. I've always believed as one door close another opens.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Feb 2022, 7:10 pm

bigpete wrote:Cheers guys.
It's been made abundantly clear that I'm expendable and easily replaced and my experience and opinions based on 27 years in the industry mean nothing,so its just time

Hey BP,,,,,, there is/was an old chinese proverb that related to just how much lasting impressions we make in this world.
I forget the specific wording,,,,, but in a nutshell it said,,,,,

"We make the same amount of lasting impressions on this world as does a hand thrust into and out of a bucket of water" :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 18 Feb 2022, 8:43 pm

On some occasions have been relieved when an employee has walked out.

Once I was with a major client and he received a phone call from the "opposition" which one of his team has applied for a position with. "Oh no, he is my most valued person". Gave a rave review of him. When he hung up, he punched the air, "Yes! Glad to see the back of him".

It can also be pretty upsetting when you bend over backwards treating employees with everything you could hope for yourself, even doing stuff you don't need to that costs you money or lost productivity and have them sh*t on you.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 19 Feb 2022, 12:33 am

bigpete wrote:All done.

Congrats! :drinks:
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by scoot » 19 Feb 2022, 9:01 am

Give yourself a descent break before jumping into anything new. Sounds like you've been at a tough place for a while. At a presumption of your character you strike me as the kind of bloke who will put in to make a good impression with any future employee. The last thing you need is to feel anxiety about wanting time off, etc from a new job. If you take a good break you can start fresh, get any jobs and things you've put off sorted, perhaps a few sneaky hunting trips.
Good luck
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 19 Feb 2022, 11:06 am

animalpest wrote:On some occasions have been relieved when an employee has walked out.

Once I was with a major client and he received a phone call from the "opposition" which one of his team has applied for a position with. "Oh no, he is my most valued person". Gave a rave review of him. When he hung up, he punched the air, "Yes! Glad to see the back of him".

It can also be pretty upsetting when you bend over backwards treating employees with everything you could hope for yourself, even doing stuff you don't need to that costs you money or lost productivity and have them sh*t on you.

I would never do that. My reputation as a uneducated boot licker is more important recommending an oxygen thief, no matter how much oxygen they have stolen.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation