Walk in safes

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Walk in safes

Post by Countryboy89 » 25 Feb 2022, 8:41 pm

Hi all new member here with his first question.

I will be building my new house shortly and I was looking at the possibility of building a gun room / walk in safe. Does anyone know if it is positive or what the requirements are? I live in the NT if that helps

Cheers in advance fellas!
Countryboy89
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Walk in safes

Post by deanp100 » 27 Feb 2022, 7:15 pm

I just looked up the nt safe rules and they are quite specific in that they require steel of at least 3 mm thick and have some specific door requirements. You could follow those rules and build a big safe out of steel but that will be difficult. I would consider a block wall filled with cement , a solid wood ceiling , bars on windows and a steel faced door would be fine because it meets qld requirements . The NT weapons guys would need to be consulted to see if they agree. A 3 mm thick walk in room will be difficult. Or build a mans room and put a safe in it, but that ruins the whole concept.
A guy I know built a vault to meet high number of guns storage and that was a mission with inspections , approvals etc but he got it done.
Or buy a 10 foot container and stick it down the back yard. It meets requirements.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2022, 7:28 pm

deanp100 wrote:I just looked up the nt safe rules and they are quite specific in that they require steel of at least 3 mm thick and have some specific door requirements. You could follow those rules and build a big safe out of steel but that will be difficult. I would consider a block wall filled with cement , a solid wood ceiling , bars on windows and a steel faced door would be fine because it meets qld requirements . The NT weapons guys would need to be consulted to see if they agree. A 3 mm thick walk in room will be difficult. Or build a mans room and put a safe in it, but that ruins the whole concept.
A guy I know built a vault to meet high number of guns storage and that was a mission with inspections , approvals etc but he got it done.
Or buy a 10 foot container and stick it down the back yard. It meets requirements.

I don't think containers are built from 3mm sheet, though it's possible some might be. The floors are usually timber, that's their biggest weakness.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 27 Feb 2022, 9:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deanp100 wrote:I just looked up the nt safe rules and they are quite specific in that they require steel of at least 3 mm thick and have some specific door requirements. You could follow those rules and build a big safe out of steel but that will be difficult. I would consider a block wall filled with cement , a solid wood ceiling , bars on windows and a steel faced door would be fine because it meets qld requirements . The NT weapons guys would need to be consulted to see if they agree. A 3 mm thick walk in room will be difficult. Or build a mans room and put a safe in it, but that ruins the whole concept.

I don't think containers are built from 3mm sheet, though it's possible some might be. The floors are usually timber, that's their biggest weakness.

I would have thought the walls would go 3 mm, but yes, you’re right, they would probably reject for the floor.. Qld happily accepts containers as safes.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 27 Feb 2022, 9:37 pm

Just looked it up. Containers are 2 mm. Still, I would hate to be trying to cut into one big enough to step inside.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2022, 10:01 pm

Tilt panels no good?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Feb 2022, 10:04 pm

deanp100 wrote:Just looked it up. Containers are 2 mm. Still, I would hate to be trying to cut into one big enough to step inside.

>>> Ten minutes with a 9" angle grinder with cutting disc,,,,,,,,,,, and your in.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2022, 10:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
deanp100 wrote:Just looked it up. Containers are 2 mm. Still, I would hate to be trying to cut into one big enough to step inside.

>>> Ten minutes with a 9" angle grinder with cutting disc,,,,,,,,,,, and your in.

Umm, depends on the design.

They can be much thicker and more/heavier reo. It's just a thought.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 28 Feb 2022, 7:20 am

I put in a 10ft concrete transportable tank 20 years ago. Cut out 2 windows and a doorway. Made a 8mm steel door with concealed hinges etc . Inspected and all good.
used as a loading room and have gun racks around the walls.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 28 Feb 2022, 7:31 am

Die Judicii wrote:

Everyone says that, but it goes for every safe except bank quality.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Feb 2022, 3:21 pm

G'day Countryboy89,
NT Firearms Act does allow you to have alternative storage, such as a walk in vault, just so long as it meets or exceeds the minimum standard under the Act. Read Section 46, Sub-Section 2. You will need to satisfy the requirements of Firearms Regulations Schedule 2 to get Commissioners approval for your vault, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Countryboy89 » 06 Mar 2022, 10:39 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for the advice. Very helpful!!!
This was my first post on this page and I am very very impressed
Once again thank you
Countryboy89
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Return to Off topic - General conversation