The Defense of Australia.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The Defense of Australia.

Post by geoff » 08 Mar 2022, 6:38 pm

A nuke is not a defence. It's very clearly quite offensive to ever lob a nuclear missile at someone

Sure, you might say it's there as a deterrent. But by rights you have to be able to launch it if you've got it and this thread is full of support for such an absurd offensive weapon.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2022, 6:43 pm

geoff wrote:A nuke is not a defence. It's very clearly quite offensive to ever lob a nuclear missile at someone

Sure, you might say it's there as a deterrent. But by rights you have to be able to launch it if you've got it and this thread is full of support for such an absurd offensive weapon.

It's an effective pre-emptive defensive system that can knock an entire fleet of aircraft and/or ships out of an attack in one blow.
Whether we could ever deploy such a weapon effectively is a very different matter, but the concept is sound, particularly for us as we are surrounded by ocean.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 08 Mar 2022, 6:51 pm

Other countries are allowed to have them
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Mar 2022, 7:42 pm

Some of those old sea tests are a big eye opener :shock:
Nothing in the water stands a chance, they'll cut hulls clean of at the waterline, massive tidal waves and columns of water in the air to behold
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Mar 2022, 8:27 pm

womble wrote:Other countries are allowed to have them

Sounds familiar,,,,,,,, A bit like Cat C and Cat D compared to the old bolt action Cat A/B
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2022, 8:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:
geoff wrote:A nuke is not a defence. It's very clearly quite offensive to ever lob a nuclear missile at someone

It's an effective pre-emptive defensive system that can knock an entire fleet of aircraft and/or ships out of an attack in one blow.
Whether we could ever deploy such a weapon effectively is a very different matter, but the concept is sound, particularly for us as we are surrounded by ocean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral ... ence_Force

Active personnel
59,095 (30 June 2020)
Reserve personnel
28,878 (30 June 2020)

Ummm IMO considering the number of personal we have in the ADF I thinks nukes are our only hope.

If Cina attacks and if the US can't help us we are fooked.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2022, 9:09 pm

Keep in mind, about 85% of those troops are non-combat rear-echelon troops too.

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austral ... ence_Force

Active personnel
59,095 (30 June 2020)
Reserve personnel
28,878 (30 June 2020)

Ummm IMO considering the number of personal we have in the ADF I thinks nukes are our only hope.

If Cina attacks and if the US can't help us we are fooked.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Mar 2022, 2:42 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Some of those old sea tests are a big eye opener :shock:
Nothing in the water stands a chance, they'll cut hulls clean of at the waterline, massive tidal waves and columns of water in the air to behold

Shooting nuke tipped missiles from underwater out of submarines is pretty freaking awesome.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Mar 2022, 3:09 am

Australia is number 18 on Russia’s official list of countries they dont like anymore.
Wankers.

Full list > https://m.jagranjosh.com/current-affairs/russia-releases-list-of-unfriendly-countries-and-territories-check-full-list-here-1646715376-1

Wanker >
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 09 Mar 2022, 3:29 am

Die Judicii wrote:
womble wrote:Other countries are allowed to have them

Sounds familiar,,,,,,,, A bit like Cat C and Cat D compared to the old bolt action Cat A/B

At least we’re allowed to have a submarine.
They’ve even put on another shift. Build time reduced from 35 years to 15.
Can’t wait.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 09 Mar 2022, 6:57 am

Oh goody!
We might have both a nuke and a submarine.
Given Australia's current level of essential industrial capacity and consequential military capacity it would be like a lone person with a single shot rimfire pistol taking on a squad armed with AK74's.
All this talk about China makes me cringe somewhat.
Why is it that Australia's only real potential adversary may never be named or discussed?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by womble » 09 Mar 2022, 8:29 am

They will join the quad. But only when they think it's absolutely necessary.
Japan is working on those assurances behind the scenes.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 09 Mar 2022, 8:49 am

Indonesia doesn't really care much about Australia. And for that matter nor does China.

There you go straightshooter
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 09 Mar 2022, 8:54 am

cz515 wrote:Indonesia doesn't really care much about Australia. And for that matter nor does China.

There you go straightshooter

So then, what's all the flap and cackle all about?
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 09 Mar 2022, 9:06 am

China?

My reading of it is simple. We have little dog syndrome. So we are barking and yelling obscenities at them. So they tell us off, put tarrifs on our things to hurt the public with hope the politicians learn. This is basic face saving from Chinese.

America is someone their equal, they respect America, us...we are just ants.

Its a little known fact that Chinese went on a shopping spree during covid and bought up a lot of the smaller shipping companies. And that just means they can screw the shipping prices. They still get to sell their stuff, people pay more and they make more money.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 09 Mar 2022, 9:10 am

What are we really good for.

Digging up dirt for minerals and agriculture.
And education...aka universities.

All the they have put tarrifs on us. Look at Canada/NZ etc are not yelling like us, they don't have any tarrifs.

We still buying Chinese goods, we are not hurting them. But we are hurting ourselves.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 09 Mar 2022, 9:46 am

womble wrote:Australia is number 18 on Russia’s official list of countries they dont like anymore.
Wankers.

Full list > https://m.jagranjosh.com/current-affairs/russia-releases-list-of-unfriendly-countries-and-territories-check-full-list-here-1646715376-1

Wanker >

Wow. Only number 18!!!
Attachments
Russia_list_countries.jpg
Russia_list_countries.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 10 Mar 2022, 4:07 am

Adding even more credibility to our vision of militarising the maccas youth, famous American businessman Ronald McDonald has entered the war effort in Ukraine.
All 800 of his restaurants in Russia have been shut down. Full support for Ukrainian staff wages still being paid. https://corporate.mcdonalds.com/corpmcd/en-us/our-stories/article/ourstories.Russia-update.html
What a legend.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by geoff » 10 Mar 2022, 10:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:

The whole point of proliferating these is so that we're all eventually just standing in an international geopolitical alleyway pointing them at each other on the assumption that as soon as someone shoots, they get shot back. The general consensus is that the nuke game is largely closed to unarmed competitors - that is to say most owners of nuclear weapons are generally in agreeance that they are for pointing at others who, not typically others who do not.

Having a nuke, and being willing to fire it, is a tacit endorsement of being willing to receive one. It has to be. If you wanna play that game, you must be prepared to lose it at some point. Our military alliances haven't won a war in decades so I don't know why anyone would think we would start getting runs on the board after nuking up.

You'll be buggered if you ever see me saying I support getting nuked
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 11 Mar 2022, 3:33 am

We already do have nukes as a deterent because of our alliance with the US.
So we’re already being targeted by nukes.
We’re already players in that game Geoff.
We just don’t hold the power. We dont count. We are collateral to be forfeited.
We are a far outreach of a distant empire, surrounded geographically by potential foes.
Why do you think Israel has nukes. Being small should not determine your might. Should not determine your right to exist.
Look treaties are awesome, but you just cant rely on them. They can be broken. Russia broke theirs with Ukraine.
That was their agreement, Ukraine surrendered their nukes on promise that they would never be invaded.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 11 Mar 2022, 6:24 am

womble wrote:...... Russia broke theirs with Ukraine.
That was their agreement, Ukraine surrendered their nukes on promise that they would never be invaded.

That statement suggests an absolute cluelessness as to what the agreements and treaties were surrounding Ukraine becoming an independent state.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 11 Mar 2022, 9:23 am

straightshooter wrote:

That statement suggests an absolute cluelessness as to what the agreements and treaties were surrounding Ukraine becoming an independent state.

Agreed SS.

Sorry womble mate you gotta go look at history books or similar and stop watching YouTube live feeds to get your info. The agreement among other things said that Ukraine will not become a part of NATO, further NATO Agreed not to increase its membership towards.

Both of which in recent years have been broken.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 11 Mar 2022, 9:31 am

Now I don't know any country in the world that has given another country nuclear weapons. It might be a part of the treaty that bans proliferation of nuclear weapons.

All have developed them themselves, by having nuclear plants, scientists and sometimes stealing from other countries. They are not lollies to be handed out at village fairs.

So hoping that uk/USA will throw us a nuclear missile or two as a bone is worse then wishful thinking.

Another thing that many people forgetting is that a huge majority of people and parties in Australia are against nuclear power. Ironic I know esp considering we are one of the biggest producers of uranium ore.

The only reason I can imagine we getting these nuclear subs is that the reactor is fully sealed until that never requires refilling.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by geoff » 11 Mar 2022, 10:59 am

straightshooter wrote:

Agreed.

The entire conflict is so complex and beyond the understanding of most casual Australian observers imo. There's a thousand years of history that people think started when the Union fell. I don't purport to be an expert on it at all and I am immediately skeptical of anyone who says they're all over it.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Mar 2022, 11:06 am

geoff wrote:The whole point of proliferating these is so that we're all eventually just standing in an international geopolitical alleyway pointing them at each other on the assumption that as soon as someone shoots, they get shot back. The general consensus is that the nuke game is largely closed to unarmed competitors - that is to say most owners of nuclear weapons are generally in agreeance that they are for pointing at others who, not typically others who do not.

Having a nuke, and being willing to fire it, is a tacit endorsement of being willing to receive one. It has to be. If you wanna play that game, you must be prepared to lose it at some point. Our military alliances haven't won a war in decades so I don't know why anyone would think we would start getting runs on the board after nuking up.

You do understand that we are targets of nukes without having to own them ourselves? There is no law of physics that makes us safe from nuclear weapons just by not having them here. A nuclear weapon is no different from any other weapon system when it comes to warfare. If the situation makes it most sensible to use nuclear that's what you use. Australia is vast enough that an enemy power could nuke all the coastal cities and happily build their own cities elsewhere on the continent.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2022, 11:35 am

bladeracer wrote:
geoff wrote:The whole point of proliferating these is so that we're all eventually just standing in an international geopolitical alleyway pointing them at each other on the assumption that as soon as someone shoots, they get shot back. The general consensus is that the nuke game is largely closed to unarmed competitors - that is to say most owners of nuclear weapons are generally in agreeance that they are for pointing at others who, not typically others who do not.

You do understand that we are targets of nukes without having to own them ourselves? There is no law of physics that makes us safe from nuclear weapons just by not having them here. A nuclear weapon is no different from any other weapon system when it comes to warfare. If the situation makes it most sensible to use nuclear that's what you use. Australia is vast enough that an enemy power could nuke all the coastal cities and happily build their own cities elsewhere on the continent.

Well said bladeracer. That's why we need them. If the "enemy" knows we have a dozen they will think twice before attacking.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2022, 11:44 am

"The only reason I can imagine we getting these nuclear subs is that the reactor is fully sealed until that never requires refilling."

The US subs the reactor never need refuelling. Run it till it stops.

" hoping that uk/USA will throw us a nuclear missile or two as a bone is worse then wishful thinking"

Well back in the 70's or 80's the yanks made an offer. We said no, don't want them.

P.S. At the time I was astonished we said no.

"Ukraine surrendered their nukes". (Or perhaps they were retrieved)
I believe that's correct. As part of Russia they would have had a few parked in Ukrain.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Mar 2022, 12:28 pm

cz515 wrote:
straightshooter wrote:

Agreed SS.

Sorry womble mate you gotta go look at history books or similar and stop watching YouTube live feeds to get your info. The agreement among other things said that Ukraine will not become a part of NATO, further NATO Agreed not to increase its membership towards.

Both of which in recent years have been broken.

The nato agreement has not been broken. Nato did’nt allow them membership because they assumed it would provoke Russia.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 11 Mar 2022, 12:37 pm

straightshooter wrote:

Yeltsin himself probably did’nt remember either.
January 14th 1994. Ukraine disarmed in exchange for economic support and security assurances from Russia.
June 1st 1996 Ukraine transferred it’s last nuclear warhead to Russia.
Look it up. 1994 Budapest Memorandum
Re-certified again in 2009. The invasion of Ukraine is a direct violation (and also illegal under international law.)

Last edited by womble on 11 Mar 2022, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 11 Mar 2022, 12:37 pm

Maybe they were offering to park them here.

Also I feel even crazy dictators haven't loved a few nukes is cuz others in their governments know if any country firs... the whole world would be a nuclear wasteland.

With only the middle of Australia safe.... but they rather die then live in Alice Springs
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation