Firearms Movie Night

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Firearms Movie Night

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Mar 2022, 7:15 pm

Tonight's viewing :drinks:

https://youtu.be/X_O1-chxAdk

Gunsmith Of Williamsburg

Part 4 of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Archive Series: The Trades of Colonial Williamsburg

This 1965 docudrama demonstrates the expertise that went into the making of each weapon. Colonial Williamsburg's master gunsmith explains the principal parts of an early American rifle and demonstrates the gun's complex manufacturing process.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Firearms Movie Night

Post by Noisydad » 16 Mar 2022, 8:50 pm

I can feel the deep meditation that goes into each part they make. I’ve watched it many times and it still keeps me focused to the end.
It’s nearly spiritual!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Mar 2022, 9:17 pm

Noisydad wrote:I can feel the deep meditation that goes into each part they make. I’ve watched it many times and it still keeps me focused to the end.
It’s nearly spiritual!

Absolutely, that's definitely the best way to describe it.
I'll definitely be watching that one a few more times.

Tonight's best lesson for me was...
Case hardening in a cruicable with a mixture of charcoal, ground bone and charred leather.
I'll be investigating this further :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 17 Mar 2022, 12:34 am

Colonial Williamsburg is still going strong today.

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/ex ... navexplore

I went there in 1995. It's pretty interesting if you are into that sort of stuff. If you ever visit the USA put it on your tourist list of stuff to visit.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Mar 2022, 7:45 am

wanneroo wrote:Colonial Williamsburg is still going strong today.

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/ex ... navexplore

I went there in 1995. It's pretty interesting if you are into that sort of stuff. If you ever visit the USA put it on your tourist list of stuff to visit.

That's awesome, It's great to see that people are dedicated to keeping real skills alive and giving others a taste for it with hands on experience. It looks like Sovereign Hill Pioneer Village on steroids... brilliant :clap:
I absolutely love working with metal and have been lucky enough to step back in time to do so.
My most recent employer operates a small foundry somewhere in the early to mid industrial revolution :sarcasm: , the work is tough and the conditions are poor but I have learnt some great things there.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 17 Mar 2022, 10:07 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
That's awesome, It's great to see that people are dedicated to keeping real skills alive and giving others a taste for it with hands on experience. It looks like Sovereign Hill Pioneer Village on steroids... brilliant :clap:
I absolutely love working with metal and have been lucky enough to step back in time to do so.
My most recent employer operates a small foundry somewhere in the early to mid industrial revolution :sarcasm: , the work is tough and the conditions are poor but I have learnt some great things there.

I've been to Sovereign Hill and yes Williamsburg is more substantial and I'd say more of a wider focus of many different things. There is also Jamestown nearby which was the first European settlement that lasted in the now USA and there is stuff to see there too. Nearby is Busch Gardens which is a large amusement park. There is a lot to do in that area. Virginia is also an interesting state with lots of Civil War history and the NRA museum which is a substantial collection of firearms.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Noisydad » 17 Mar 2022, 6:53 pm

Here's another from the Periscopefilm channel for movie night... chrome-extension://kgpcmjeckonpfoaacknfdaaehpjbflhl/ntp1.html Actually this channel has a lot of awesome historical, original footage film stock.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation