"Good condition for it's age"

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

"Good condition for it's age"

Post by Florey55 » 29 Apr 2022, 9:55 am

Adverts in usedguns which have this description really piss me off.

What does it actually mean? If the firearm was newer, it'd be in poor condition ? Or older it would be in VG, or EXC condition?

Is there some sort of sliding scale that usedgun advertisers access when deciding the condition? Lists years from 1900 - 2022, then poor/fair/good/very good/excellent which changes according to the year of manufacture?

I've taken to asking advertisers that and, I must say, have received some really rude responses...
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: "Good condition for it's age"

Post by womble » 29 Apr 2022, 1:05 pm

How pissed off ?
On a scale of 1-10
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Apr 2022, 2:53 pm

It's a cop-out for guns in sh!t condition. I've seen and handled guns that where over 130 years old that could only be described as being "as new", BUT, then I've seen firearms that are less than 10 years old that had been totally trashed. I suppose if a total dip-sh!t owned it for ten years and abused the crap out of it, a wrecked gun could be described as "in good condition considering it's age and who owned it". :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2022, 3:07 pm

Florey55 wrote:Adverts in usedguns which have this description really piss me off.

What does it actually mean? If the firearm was newer, it'd be in poor condition ? Or older it would be in VG, or EXC condition?

Is there some sort of sliding scale that usedgun advertisers access when deciding the condition? Lists years from 1900 - 2022, then poor/fair/good/very good/excellent which changes according to the year of manufacture?

I've taken to asking advertisers that and, I must say, have received some really rude responses...

It's probably just an option for people like myself that have no idea how firearms are professionally graded as VG, Exc, etc.
I think it just means the firearm is in good condition for its age :-)
If it's two years old, good condition would mean virtually like new.
If it's 120 years old, good condition probably just means it's better than most you'll find of the era.

If there are specific points you would not want to discover upon receiving a secondhand firearm in the mail, ask the question before you buy it. Is it complete, is there any damage, does it shoot okay, any accessories with it, etc. I find it's sometimes better than spotting something on a dealer's rack as you tend not to ask those questions face to face, whereas you do ask when you can't see and handle the rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Apr 2022, 5:18 pm

I agree with bladeracer, "for its age" simply means that after the number of yeats it has been in use it is quite good. I buy military firearms over 170 years old and such a description gives me good information that the item is not pristine but in serviceable condition. You could also read it as "used but not battered".
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 29 Apr 2022, 6:16 pm

womble wrote:How pissed off ?
On a scale of 1-10

Very pissed off for my age!
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 29 Apr 2022, 6:24 pm

Florey55 wrote:Adverts in usedguns which have this description really piss me off..

I really don't know how you cope day to day if this really piss's you off. :unknown:
Last edited by Fionn on 29 Apr 2022, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Apr 2022, 6:24 pm

My newest firearm in my most beaten.

The Adler has spent many hours jammed on the front of the quad getting smashed by every bush and branch that I plough through.
It's cracked, scratched, dented and scuffed ... new as.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Apr 2022, 7:06 pm

The "description" as provided by Used Guns gives a darn good basis for the wording of ads.
It's only when sellers ignore it or obviously bend that basis,, that problems arise.
It all comes down to honesty at the end of the day.

Another example of ad wording to hate is when the seller lists it as "NEW" but then goes on to say "Only had 260 rounds put through it"
At least these ones are blatantly obvious to a prospective buyer.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 29 Apr 2022, 7:16 pm

Fionn wrote:
Florey55 wrote:Adverts in usedguns which have this description really piss me off..

I really don't know how you cope day to day if this really piss's you off. :unknown:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Apr 2022, 9:00 pm

womble wrote:How pissed off ?
On a scale of 1-10

:lol: your a cunny funt womble :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Apr 2022, 10:16 pm

Arhhhh yes, the art of spoonerism is alive and well.
I love em, if if sometimes they're Fack to Bront.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Apr 2022, 6:11 am

Die Judicii wrote:Arhhhh yes, the art of spoonerism is alive and well.
I love em, if if sometimes they're Fack to Bront.

:D :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Florey55 » 30 Apr 2022, 3:24 pm

womble wrote:
Fionn wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY

Now, this has really pissed me off !! Do you have a "stronger" meditation video I can watch? :crazy:
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by womble » 30 Apr 2022, 3:56 pm

Let’s step it up a notch and get you a yoga lesson :thumbsup:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-U8P4cpOI&t=57s
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 30 Apr 2022, 4:08 pm

Im in good condition for my age :allegedly:
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by womble » 30 Apr 2022, 4:13 pm

I see we have a volunteer to partner with
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation