More ABC lies

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: More ABC lies

Post by Peterwho » 14 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm

On bio fuel.

It works on a subsistence level as the collection and transformation costs are not valued or costed. It can also work in selective cases as a by product eg saw mills or pulp mills but not always and often not reliably.

It does not work in most cases at an industrial scale, esp for power generation, and certainly not cost effectively. The variability of the feed stock means the capital cost is way higher than any competing product and the control systems rarely cope with said variability. None of the promoters or many of the so called experts talk about this til it’s too f/g late. I have cleaned up enough of these f/g projects that I care or wish to remember.
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Jun 2022, 8:28 pm

How about discussing the trendy topic of how EV's will save the planet over a soy bean latė.

I love how we're told Electric Vehicles are so much greener that internal combustion.
Nothing would be truer, especially if we could ignore the massive carbon footprint left by lithium mining, poor battery service life and difficulties with lithium battery recycling.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 14 Jun 2022, 9:04 pm

Mate if you look at it closely the answers are there and make sense. You may choose to wear your tin foil hat.

Russia is the 2nd largest producer of oil after Saudi Arabia. They are the biggest supplier of gas into europe. And Ukraine experts 10% of the wheat consumed in the world.

You take then out of the equation, decreases supply, then basic supply and demand principle applies.

I been saying for a while, the sanctions that are put on Russia mainly benefit Western (USA) companies. Also extending the war by supplying military equipment to Ukraine results in more Ukrainian deaths. And extension of the war.

Which results in higher prices, for longer. So in other words inflation. This results in federal banks raising interest rates, banks generally make more money.

The common man like you and i get fkd by everyone.

So stop supplying arms to Ukraine and let Russia do what it wants quickly and start buying Russian oil and gas. That's your solution to normalisation of prices.

Not sure what part you are not understanding about how time flows, but again a range of inflation was occurring well before Russia invaded.

Maybe this will sink in the second time.

I work in international shipping mate, one of the biggest inflation drivers is freight costs. It jumped almost 1000% during the lockdowns. The issue is even with things opening up the prices havent stabilised. The reason is the big players bought out the smaller ones who couldnt stay solvent, the port berthing fees went up( meaning only carriers who could pay priority berthing could offload their gear in timely fashion, further crunching the small guys, losing their customers) and then a bunch of shipping containers which are designed to be at sea 50% of the time were scrapped, rather than stored(!), And they are making them again and selling them at any price they want. This is across our whole industry at the moment, and what we are all dealing with day to day is the fact almost every anti-price gouging and anti-monopilsation law has been ignored for almost 20 months.

What does this mean for the average guy? Well almost everything in your life including the laptop you are typing on comes in a 40ft shipper from somewhere, or a bulk carrier, even the transport of energy commodities back and forth.

And you are now getting hit for the bill.

I am well aware of the effects of sanctions mate, I contracted in 5 x 3rd world countries. But it is disengenous of the government and media of the world to dump this bill on some war that only started this year. The list of inflatables bungled and profiteered since this pandemic starts stretches across commodities, freight, textiles, silicon components, foodstuffs, raw materials, even vaccine access ( like tetanus vacs) in Africa. The whole show is in complete disarray and the big players are taking chunks out of whatever they want, because again unprecedented disregard for the usual laws.

I have a list emailed to me of price increases just of rawmat from suppliers and everything from the paper used for toilet rolls, to colors, agents and resins used in making every plastic object in your life has been jumping every month for over 18 months.

Again, Putin must have been real busy to organise all this in advance of his war. Or maybe trade sanctions are magic and they can affect prices 2 years earlier than the sanctions ;)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by cz515 » 14 Jun 2022, 9:51 pm

The issues is with renewables you need fast dispachable power generation capacity.

Hence where the more renewables you have coal power plants become useless.

So what do they need, it's in most cases gas power plants, these can be turned on or off in seconds (or less).

The problem is, currently has prices are through the roof, unfortunately it's summer in Europe, so it's going to get worse.

But they don't want Russian gas
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by mickb » 14 Jun 2022, 10:16 pm

I think its hard times coming up in any case, and unfortunately like with the pandemic a lot of people will make a lot of money for themselves.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation