Button battery dramas.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Button battery dramas.

Post by cz515 » 28 Jun 2022, 9:28 pm

A bit hard to educate 1 or 2 year old kids not to injest a shiny metal object they find, esp if it's just lying around (device)
. And can easily be undone.

As Wikipedia is user edited, i won't trust it as my main source of information... unless you are happy to accept whatever i type here as gospel (and may God help anyone who does :lol:)

We in vic got pool legislation updated needed on a few drownings a year, i am sure many people were complaining about the costs on it... but it comes to safety of the children first.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jun 2022, 9:54 pm

cz515 wrote:A bit hard to educate 1 or 2 year old kids not to injest a shiny metal object they find, esp if it's just lying around (device)
. And can easily be undone.

As Wikipedia is user edited, i won't trust it as my main source of information... unless you are happy to accept whatever i type here as gospel (and may God help anyone who does :lol:)

We in vic got pool legislation updated needed on a few drownings a year, i am sure many people were complaining about the costs on it... but it comes to safety of the children first.

Agree you can't convince adults to stick to the speed limit even.

But rifle parts seems silly TBH. But no reason why it cant be done tho. Industry just needs to pull their finger out. Trouble is AU is a small market.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 29 Jun 2022, 8:05 am

It is estimated that approximately 1,000 children are rushed to Australian emergency departments each year, because they have ingested or inserted button batteries. One child per month sustains a severe injury

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-even ... nal-damage

If swallowed, coin-sized button batteries can lodge in a child’s oesophagus. An electrical current is immediately triggered by saliva, which causes a chemical reaction that can cause severe burns to the child’s oesophagus and internal organs such as vital arteries, lungs, heart, larynx and spine. Serious injury can occur in as little as two hours and the results can be fatal.

So that's what happens with a child swallows a button cell.

As i said earlier europe already has legislation about button cells in child proof setup we have gone further, but i am pretty sure a device that complies with EU staved will be fine to sell here. US on the other hand is a country ofc freedoms, so children are free to injest as many batteries they want. As long as it doesn't effect profit of american big business
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bidgee » 29 Jun 2022, 12:51 pm

FWIW I purchased a Burris illuminated scope from Scopedout this week and it shipped no problem. At this stage I Dunno whether it has a securitised batter compartment or not.
Bidgee
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by KWest » 29 Jun 2022, 1:46 pm

I heard that the firearms industry was not consulted on the matter and did not get the 18months notice to address the issue?
KWest
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jun 2022, 2:39 pm

I’m not up to speed with this ... tried to buy some couple of days ago but all missing in the button battery section at the supermarket... I guess they are not goin to be available for a while until suppliers and retailers work out how to continue within the laws. I’m guessing they are not goin to be banned altogether, just packaged more securely ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jun 2022, 2:44 pm

We all know that tough clear plastic that wraps most things at Bunnings. That would work. I hate it with a passion. With sharp knives scissors or even an angle grinder it can be a bloody mission and I’ll bet there’s thousands of cut injuries annually from people wrestling with knives trying to open those terrible things ... button batteries often have only thin cardboard backing . I guess that’s what u new laws will b targeting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jun 2022, 7:45 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m not up to speed with this ... tried to buy some couple of days ago but all missing in the button battery section at the supermarket... I guess they are not goin to be available for a while until suppliers and retailers work out how to continue within the laws. I’m guessing they are not goin to be banned altogether, just packaged more securely ?

Odd, as there has been a long lead-in period for the legislation. You would think that manufacturers/suppliers/retailers have had long enough to get new packaging for them.

Might make them harder to get from now on. Time will tell.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jun 2022, 9:16 pm

I think scopes, and my guitar tuner . And there’s bound to be something else I can’t remember right now ... but what about dentists and doctors ? Do they use equipment that needs button batteries , and how do they do their job properly with uncertain supply ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jun 2022, 9:26 pm

I just googled it. Remote controls. Hearing aids. Central locking keys for cars and thermometers etc. with no button batteries a hearing impaired man can’t hear his wife walking up behind intent on belting him with a saucepan . Then he can’t open his car to go to the doctor to get stitched up because his car key don’t work anymore . And when he eventually walks to the doctor the doctor has no thermometer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 29 Jun 2022, 10:32 pm

Ummm my wife bought some button batteries today mate cr2025... pity they are the wrong ones. But ill just get replacements tomorrow.

I dunno what the fuss is all about... or is it comedy time at enough gun and i missed the memo
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jun 2022, 8:21 am

It's not the battery or packaging. It's how easy it is to get the battery out of the equipment.

https://shootersunion.com.au/button-bat ... ic-sights/

And as I mentioned earlier, we are a very small market when it comes to nv scopes, etc.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jun 2022, 9:03 am

Wouldn't it just be easier to keep small children in child proof packaging?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 30 Jun 2022, 3:21 pm

Bubble suits...hmmm

Better is not to let dumb people reproduce... but then who will vote
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jul 2022, 8:05 pm

My local Woolies had some button batteries at the checkout on Saturday. As you would expect, but they seemed to be in the same old packaging they always were.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 04 Jul 2022, 8:07 pm

Plenty of button cells on evilbay so I stocked up :twisted:
Wonder how long before I have to lock them up in my safe :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jul 2022, 11:19 am

I took dey 243 s advice and yes plenty on eBay. Let’s see if they turn up
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 05 Jul 2022, 2:48 pm

Blr243 wrote:I took dey 243 s advice and yes plenty on eBay. Let’s see if they turn up

Only mob I have had trouble with that doesn't have stuffed show up is AliExpress
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jul 2022, 4:54 pm

Just saw at my chemist a whole stand totally full of button batteries .. when I asked she said she can only sell them if they have the DANGEROUS FOR CHILDREN warnings on them so I guess all the old stuff without proper labels has been pulled and as soon as producers have correct labels we should be good to go again. NO need for any unnecessary toilet paper type panic buying
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 05 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

:lol:

So

much ado about nothing.
Making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I told you so
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 05 Jul 2022, 6:11 pm

No problems here only bought 5 should keep my reflex sight running for more than 4 years the last battery will probably be rubbish by the time I get to it
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 05 Jul 2022, 8:12 pm

cz515 wrote::lol:

So

much ado about nothing.
I told you so

Try and buy an illuminated scope and see how you go. Many have been removed from sale.

SIMPLE AS THAT.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 05 Jul 2022, 8:48 pm

GQshayne wrote:

So

much ado about nothing.
I told you so

Try and buy an illuminated scope and see how you go. Many have been removed from sale.

SIMPLE AS THAT.

Not really I was looking at over half a dozen illuminated rectal Nightforce scopes today and they have no plans taking them off the shelf either
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Jul 2022, 9:02 pm

Little kids would be attracted to small shiny stuff and can’t help putting things in their mouths ... my mother reckons when I was a kid she turned her back on me for just ten seconds and then saw the tail of a lizard hanging from the corner of my mouth . No sickness for me but the poor lizard did not fare well .... with education on the dangers of batteries ingested hopefully Parents will have a healthy respect for the potential danger and old Or new batteries wil be stored responsibly just like a packet of endone , dexamphetamine rat poison or any number of nasties that could be lethal for toddlers.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 06 Jul 2022, 10:09 am

deye243 wrote:
GQshayne wrote:

So

much ado about nothing.
I told you so

SIMPLE AS THAT.

Not really I was looking at over half a dozen illuminated rectal Nightforce scopes today and they have no plans taking them off the shelf either

Maybe Nightforce have not, Vortex wasn't either.

But that makes no difference to the brands that have ben removed, such as Nikko and Bushnell. It is clearly a problem for some. I wanted to look at the Nikko, and there are none to look at anywhere, whereas the week before there was.

It is clearly impacting some products at the moment. The point of me starting this thread was to let people know that. Nothing more.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 06 Jul 2022, 1:53 pm

I picked up a blister pack of cr2032 batteries today from the green box store.

They had a good assortment of more then a dozen different types
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation