Anyone good at IT

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Anyone good at IT

Post by mickb » 30 Jun 2022, 11:51 am

My poor little laptop turns on sort of but before it boots it goes to the old DOS type screen telling me ''it cant find the required map''. Then gives me a command prompt "Shell: "

Problem is its only a $250 mini net book thing. It doesnt have any data or files I desperately need. Is it worth taking to an IT guy or rooted?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Anyone good at IT

Post by JohnV » 30 Jun 2022, 1:27 pm

Type this into the command prompt it might work rstrui.exe and press enter . It might open system restore and you may be able to restore it to a previous working state . If that don't work turn it on and before it can do anything turn it off . Turn it back on again and again turn it off . Turn it back on and then let it boot up it may go to a safe mode menu where you can find system restore or a recovery option . System restore does not delete your personal files but some recovery modes will .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by cz515 » 30 Jun 2022, 3:19 pm

What brand and model number is the netbook. Did it run Windows or what version of Windows.

Honestly if there is nothing on it, smash it up and bin it. You can get a cheap new laptop under 500. And the technician is probably 50-100/hr (companies are close to 100/hr) and it probably will cost 150 just to reinstall Windows
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 30 Jun 2022, 5:05 pm

When it comes computering I tend to suffer technorage and pretty quickly want to bash the thing with the leg bone of an oxen like a caveman.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 30 Jun 2022, 6:57 pm

Most likely the hard disk has died or you need to reflash the bios.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 30 Jun 2022, 7:09 pm

If it’s older than 36 months bin it.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 30 Jun 2022, 8:49 pm

Wife recons Im pretty good at IT :sarcasm:
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mickb » 30 Jun 2022, 9:45 pm

Thanks fellas will give some of the suggestions above a try. Its only 5-6 months old, one of those cheapo Olee models. https://www.wireless1.com.au/ollee-11-6 ... mc-storage.

If I press the Fkeys and escape enough before it boots(you can see how technical I am) I can get to that blue screen with all the old school text looking different options and assume someone who knows what they are doing might be able to do something from there.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 01 Jul 2022, 5:15 am

If it's windows 10 then the blue screen is a restore and recovery option look around the menu and it's there somewhere . The turn on , turn off , turn on , turn off , turn on and let it boot is built into windows 10 to get the safe mode up if it won't boot normally . The F8 key to safe mode does not work in Windows 10 .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by cz515 » 01 Jul 2022, 11:10 am

He might be taking about the bios screen john.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 01 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm

cz515 wrote:He might be taking about the bios screen john.
Possible . He needs to do the turn on turn off routine and get into the system restore feature .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 01 Jul 2022, 8:25 pm

northdude wrote:Wife recons Im pretty good at IT :sarcasm:

Beat me to it ! Lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Robin » 02 Jul 2022, 6:25 am

Sounds like the drive maybe gone, without looking at it , it's hard to give 100% diags, have you got any photos of what it's doing.

Where are you located, if in Brisbane, I should be able to have a quick look and not bill you.

If its less then 12 months new, you maybe under warranty or at least be able to claim warranty as fair use.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 02 Jul 2022, 7:31 am

If he can get it going by using system restore or even a reset ( as he has no important files on it ) he may be able to do a disk scan and isolate any bad sectors . I think it's likely he has a virus in it and a restore or reset would delete the virus . Run an antivirus scan if you get it going again and then a disk scan .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Off topic - General conversation