Advice or Experiences

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Advice or Experiences

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jul 2022, 1:12 pm

Hi just seeing if anyone has managed to bring their H-Cat's firearms into the US?

I am looking at making the move and am unsure if it is an easy process to bring my Cat-H's or just leave them in a safe here at home in Aus and buy new when over there. Having said that though, unsure how keen I would be to carry my Glock, with 120mm barrel, on me when I can go over there and buy much smaller units for concealed carry

Any advice would be great thanks
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Advice or Experiences

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2022, 2:52 pm

To live or to visit?
If you're going to live there you won't be able to hold a CatH licence here, you'd have to transfer them to another CatH licencee. You can only hold a licence in a state in which you reside. And to hold CatH firearms you have to do minimum attendances.
I would think they'll be cheaper in the US and a much, much larger choice available - depending on where you're going.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 09 Jul 2022, 3:15 pm

Going to live for a while. Surely I can hold a Cat H still even if I am not here? If i dont own any firearms then I wont need to meet the minimum attendances I think

bladeracer wrote:To live or to visit?
If you're going to live there you won't be able to hold a CatH licence here, you'd have to transfer them to another CatH licencee. You can only hold a licence in a state in which you reside. And to hold CatH firearms you have to do minimum attendances.
I would think they'll be cheaper in the US and a much, much larger choice available - depending on where you're going.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jul 2022, 4:42 pm

Rider888 wrote:Going to live for a while. Surely I can hold a Cat H still even if I am not here? If i dont own any firearms then I wont need to meet the minimum attendances I think

bladeracer wrote:To live or to visit?

My understanding is if you do not actually reside in a state then you do not qualify to hold a firearm licence. Pre '96 you could hold firearm licences in multiple states - I held SA and WA at the same time - you didn't have to be resident in the state.
If you're only moving temporarily you can apply for an exemption, but I don't know that you can be exempted from the minimum attendance requirements indefinitely.
If you don't any firearms you wouldn't have to do the attendances.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 10 Jul 2022, 12:30 am

I'm not sure of your legal status, which citizen of which country you are or what your residency status is.

Personally to avoid complicating your life, I'd sell everything you have in Australia.

There are specialized importers in the USA who handle imports of pistols from overseas. Once in the USA, I think it would be hard to take them back to Australia and re import them.

I'm not sure how it would work trying to bring your guns over on your own without an importer or what the legalities are.

Sounds like you've got a lot of research to do.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mickb » 10 Jul 2022, 11:09 am

I sold mine off when I moved overseas at one point just to save hassle. This was rifles and I had to move quick so asked a mate to store them, PTA'd them to him, then sold them off later down the track. I moved to the middle east so couldnt have taken them anyway.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Rider888 » 10 Jul 2022, 3:24 pm

mickb wrote:I sold mine off when I moved overseas at one point just to save hassle. This was rifles and I had to move quick so asked a mate to store them, PTA'd them to him, then sold them off later down the track. I moved to the middle east so couldnt have taken them anyway.

Thanks good idea. I’ll either PTA them or just store them at someone else’s house which I believe is ok as long as they don’t have access
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jul 2022, 7:21 pm

mickb wrote:I sold mine off when I moved overseas at one point just to save hassle. This was rifles and I had to move quick so asked a mate to store them, PTA'd them to him, then sold them off later down the track. I moved to the middle east so couldnt have taken them anyway.

I bought my M96 Swede off a guy that went to visit Canada and decided to stay there. Left his rifles with his dad in Qld, but when his licence came up for renewal decided he couldn't be bothered pretending he still lived here to maintain a licence he was never going to use. He had two and I had offered to buy both to help him out, though I had no real use for a .308 Howa, luckily when his dad took them to the dealer the dealer was happy to take the Howa.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 15 Jul 2022, 5:58 am

wanneroo wrote:I'm not sure of your legal status, which citizen of which country you are or what your residency status is.

Personally to avoid complicating your life, I'd sell everything you have in Australia.

There are specialized importers in the USA who handle imports of pistols from overseas. Once in the USA, I think it would be hard to take them back to Australia and re import them.

I'm not sure how it would work trying to bring your guns over on your own without an importer or what the legalities are.

Sounds like you've got a lot of research to do.

Seems like it is just s simple Export Control Licence from ABF/ADF then on the other side its a simple import form from the ATF and its all sweet
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 15 Jul 2022, 5:56 pm

I did not think you could carry in the US unless you were a US citizen
Well legally anyway
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 16 Jul 2022, 2:39 am

My guess is it would depend on state or county being they are all so different( 3000 counties in the US) rather than a federal mandate. Different subject but I remember when I was working in Afghanistan, I flew into the US to do a medics course for a couple weeks The qual was the EMT-B( emergency medical tech-basic) and at the end of it I recieved registration with the the NREMT( US national Register of EMT's!) like all the other students. Didnt even have a residency or work visa!
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Rider888 » 16 Jul 2022, 6:19 am

deye243 wrote:I did not think you could carry in the US unless you were a US citizen
Well legally anyway

Yes you can
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation