Hunting Crown Land in South Australia

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Hunting Crown Land in South Australia

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2022, 9:18 pm

So,I'm having a conversation on farcebook with a chap who is telling me that, prior to 1996, there was heaps of crown land in SA you could hunt on. Now,I've been hunting here in SA well before 96,and my dad hunted here long before that,and my grandpa even longer than that,and as far as any of us know you've never been able to hunt crown land other than game reserves and unalienated crown land,wherever that is.
Can anyone shed any more light on the subject ? My googlefu isn't that great,but I've not been able to find diddly about it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Hunting Crown Land in South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jul 2022, 9:40 pm

bigpete wrote:So,I'm having a conversation on farcebook with a chap who is telling me that, prior to 1996, there was heaps of crown land in SA you could hunt on. Now,I've been hunting here in SA well before 96,and my dad hunted here long before that,and my grandpa even longer than that,and as far as any of us know you've never been able to hunt crown land other than game reserves and unalienated crown land,wherever that is.
Can anyone shed any more light on the subject ? My googlefu isn't that great,but I've not been able to find diddly about it

I was in SA from '83 to '85 and I had a hunting permit for crown land. But there was no crown land anywhere near where I was around Strathalbyn, and I wasn't driving or riding back then. I don't think I ever heard of game reserves until I moved here to Victoria - I don't think they're a thing in WA.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2022, 9:53 pm

Are you sure it was for crown land ? The hunting permit dad had,from around that era,was only for private property, and was/is necessary to hunt at all here,whether private or crown land. Game reserves have been around for ages
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jul 2022, 10:07 pm

bigpete wrote:Are you sure it was for crown land ? The hunting permit dad had,from around that era,was only for private property, and was/is necessary to hunt at all here,whether private or crown land. Game reserves have been around for ages

I don't believe there was a hunting permit for private property, and I only hunted on private property - dairy and sheep farms. But we're talking 40-years-ago. I'm surprised you need a permit to hunt private property so perhaps that's what I had. No hunting permit here in Victoria for private or public land - only the game licence for deer, duck and quail.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jul 2022, 10:08 pm

But I am sure there was crown land for hunting on as my brother and I were often trying to make such a goat and pig hunting trip a reality. It meant travelling several hundred kilometers though which was the stumbling block for us.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm

There most certainly was a hunting permit for private property. The old man was shooting foxes for a living back then and had to have one with signed slips for each property
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jul 2022, 12:38 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Pardon my mirth,,,,,,,,,
I used to live down there ( Sth Aus ),, and my property bounded a ?? National Park,, Wild Life Reserve,, Sanctuary,, (whatever so called, because the powers to be kept changing their name)
As I said, it bounded my property,, and I used to hunt there any given day or night with a cross bow. With no license/permit/or express permission to hunt.

I only ever hunted vermin/ferals,,,,,,, so I never bothered to seek any such license or permit.
I considered I was doing "them" a favor because the powers to be never did any vermin control. (typical govt strategy)

In the twenty odd years of doing this, I never encountered any officials, rangers, etc, out patrolling the "bushland"
I did however on several occasions guide the local constabulary to various dope crops that were in the making.
These members of constabulary always insisted on me taking a shottie along for the ride.

I guess it was a win/win situation. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Jul 2022, 5:27 am

So you were poaching then
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 23 Jul 2022, 5:22 pm

and a snitch :lol:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Jul 2022, 6:13 pm

Unalienated crown land in SA is the best place for hunting unicorns, I'm pretty sure it's been that way for more than a few decades

Technically he's right, most of the state is still crown land but it's not unalienated, so permission is required to hunt ther from whoever is leasing the land.

I'd be asking Facebook guy where he recons it was. I have serous doubts as it's all been leased, licence for station country, forestry and small community camping and 99 year lease shack type stuff.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Jul 2022, 6:32 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Unalienated crown land in SA is the best place for hunting unicorns, I'm pretty sure it's been that way for more than a few decades

Technically he's right, most of the state is still crown land but it's not unalienated, so permission is required to hunt ther from whoever is leasing the land.

I'd be asking Facebook guy where he recons it was. I have serous doubts as it's all been leased, licence for station country, forestry and small community camping and 99 year lease shack type stuff.

He went totally silent when I corrected him about what our hunting permit actually was lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2022, 6:34 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Unalienated crown land in SA is the best place for hunting unicorns, I'm pretty sure it's been that way for more than a few decades

Technically he's right, most of the state is still crown land but it's not unalienated, so permission is required to hunt there from whoever is leasing the land.

I know a ranger here in Vic that told me it's legal to hunt on leased plantation - while I was telling him it's illegal.
People come and shoot in the plantations near us a few times a year, and I know it's not allowed in there because I've asked for permission myself. Somebody was shooting in a plantation we were in a few weeks ago, four shots from something hefty so I would guess checking zero...or a very poor shot at a deer (definitely not allowed to shoot in there either). There is a disused air strip up there that people do tend to shoot on - about 400m long but pretty overgrown now.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 23 Jul 2022, 8:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:I know a ranger here in Vic that told me it's legal to hunt on leased plantation - while I was telling him it's illegal.

The ranger was correct.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2022, 8:42 pm

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I know a ranger here in Vic that told me it's legal to hunt on leased plantation - while I was telling him it's illegal.

The ranger was correct.

Not without permission from the lessee.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 23 Jul 2022, 10:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:Not without permission from the lessee.

Plantations on crown land aren't leased.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2022, 11:57 pm

Fionn wrote:

Gee, way off topic. It's my understanding in Vic the plantation land is leased and therefore you need permission from the leasee.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2022, 4:04 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Gee, way off topic. It's my understanding in Vic the plantation land is leased and therefore you need permission from the leasee.

That's how it is with all the plantations around me, I've asked the lessee's for permission and none will allow recreational shooters in.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 24 Jul 2022, 10:30 am

Plantations on crown land is generally licenced, not leased.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2022, 11:21 am

Fionn wrote:Plantations on crown land is generally licenced, not leased.

This is new information to me & sounds interesting.

Some info, but not clear.
https://www.forestsandreserves.vic.gov. ... nd-permits
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 24 Jul 2022, 6:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:Plantations on crown land is generally licenced, not leased.

This is new information to me & sounds interesting.

Some info, but not clear.
https://www.forestsandreserves.vic.gov. ... nd-permits

Its not clear at all and I suspect they like it that way. The easiest way to know if the land is licenced crown land, is if the public have access to the land, ie HVP plantations, the public can walk around them, you can drive though them etc.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2022, 7:43 pm

Not so sure about that Fion.

Resized_Screenshot_20220724-194046_DuckDuckGo.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20220724-194046_DuckDuckGo.jpeg (135.29 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 24 Jul 2022, 8:04 pm

Yes its a non-permitted activity without a permit, but to be illegal it needs to be against an actual law.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2022, 8:23 pm

Fionn wrote:Yes its a non-permitted activity without a permit, but to be illegal it needs to be against an actual law.

If you go shooting on these properties without a "permit" wouldn't that then make it illegal?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 24 Jul 2022, 8:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Fionn wrote:Yes its a non-permitted activity without a permit, but to be illegal it needs to be against an actual law.

If you go shooting on these properties without a "permit" wouldn't that then make it illegal?

No.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2022, 12:50 am

Fionn wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

No.

OK, I'm not necessarily agreeing with you. However I've read plenty of companies procedures and policies that either were out right illegal, or over stepped what they were legally able to do.

What your saying is they don't have the right to stop us from hunting on public land they are licensed to grow pine on. It's a bluff if you like.

Interesting idea.

But I've checked out a couple of pine forests near where I hunt and the More to Explore app indicates no shooting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Jul 2022, 10:46 am

Looks like someone is too stubborn to admit they're wrong again.

It's ik to be wrong Fionn, nobody's perfect.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2022, 11:16 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Looks like someone is too stubborn to admit they're wrong again.

It's ok to be wrong Fionn, nobody's perfect.

It looks like they will allow access for some activities. But shooting/hunting is not permitted.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 25 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:What your saying is they don't have the right to stop us from hunting on public land they are licensed to grow pine on. It's a bluff if you like.

Interesting idea.

Yes that is what I am saying and what I believe the ranger was talking about.

Oldbloke wrote:But I've checked out a couple of pine forests near where I hunt and the More to Explore app indicates no shooting.

Have you read the disclaimer on the More to Explore app?

Also, not all pine plantations are on crown land, many are on freehold and leased land. The first question to ask, is the land you are talking about here crown land?
Last edited by Fionn on 25 Jul 2022, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 25 Jul 2022, 12:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Looks like someone is too stubborn to admit they're wrong again.

It's ok to be wrong Fionn, nobody's perfect.

It looks like they will allow access for some activities. But shooting/hunting is not permitted.

To be clear, they absolutely don't want you shooting in Plantations on crown land and they have valid points as to why, the point I and the ranger made is its not illegal to do so.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2022, 12:25 pm

Not agreeing, or disagreeing.

Starting to sound like:
Most you can't.
But may be a few exceptions.
Need to talk to local rangers.

The "more to explore" app certainly has errors. I have pointed our two to them tgat ststed it was legal to hunt but was not. And they have reacted by making changes.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation