Ring gear OD

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Ring gear OD

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Aug 2022, 8:07 pm

Does anyone know what the OD of a flywheel "ring gear" is for a 1HZ Landcruiser motor 4.2 ??
Just the ring gear itself.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Ring gear OD

Post by northdude » 11 Aug 2022, 11:16 am

I give up what is it :sarcasm:
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2022, 11:44 am

Die Judicii wrote:Does anyone know what the OD of a flywheel "ring gear" is for a 1HZ Landcruiser motor 4.2 ??
Just the ring gear itself.

Google says 275mm 108 teeth?
Is this for a tachometer sensor?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoot » 11 Aug 2022, 4:13 pm

1hz flywheel is pretty close to 360mm OD. The ring gear is slightly inset by a couple of mm though.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by scoot » 11 Aug 2022, 4:25 pm

275mm would be the clutch drive disc size
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Aug 2022, 5:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Google says 275mm 108 teeth?
Is this for a tachometer sensor?

Yeah, I already did that,,,,,,,,, but there are conflicting reports.
Some say the 1HZ has 108 teeth while others say it has 117 teeth.

Another says it is the 12HT model that has 108 teeth.

The OD of the clutch plate itself is of no real consequence to me,,,,,, but just needed to know, and I don't have any of either laying around that I can measure.

However,,, I'm definitely needing a Landcruiser one that specifically has 108 teeth on the ring gear.
And it would help greatly if I knew which specific model I should ask for at the wreckers.

In answer to your query,,,,, No, it's not for a tacho sensor.
It's gonna be put to an entirely different use and purpose.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Aug 2022, 5:14 pm

scoot wrote:1hz flywheel is pretty close to 360mm OD. The ring gear is slightly inset by a couple of mm though.

Yeah thanks for that.
The 360mm I can work with,,,,, plus or minus to a fair degree.
The most important detail is the number of teeth on the ring gear.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by scoot » 11 Aug 2022, 6:18 pm

If I remember I'll look in the bone yard tomorrow. There's probably some 1vd engines on the pile I can check too if you want.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Aug 2022, 7:43 pm

scoot wrote:If I remember I'll look in the bone yard tomorrow. There's probably some 1vd engines on the pile I can check too if you want.

That'd be good, thanks. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by scoot » 12 Aug 2022, 11:49 am

117 teeth on the 1hz flywheel about 355mm diam. Ring gear (dodgy measurement). 1vd-fte is the same, 117 teeth approx 355mm diam ring gear.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Aug 2022, 7:32 pm

scoot wrote:117 teeth on the 1hz flywheel about 355mm diam. Ring gear (dodgy measurement). 1vd-fte is the same, 117 teeth approx 355mm diam ring gear.

Thanks Scoot,,,,,,,,, that's a bugger cos it wont do what I want.
I specifically need one (any one regardless of brand) that has 108 teeth.
It's so frustrating to see mention of such on a lot of 4x4 forums,,,,,,,, and even outlets like Repco.
ie: I found listed on Repco site what was listed as Landcruiser 12Ht flywheel "in stock" .
So,,,,,,,,,,, armed with the advertised part number I rang Repco and asked about it.

Salesman looked on his computer and came back and said No,,, that part number says it is for a Hyundai
He gave me the direct phone number to the people that manufacture that flywheel.
So,,,,,,,,,, I ring them, and ask for any flywheel thats got 108 teeth,,,,and get told that they don't make any flywheels at all with that number of teeth.

I think he didn't even look or care.
It is a large company that make flywheels for all major named vehicles,,,,,,,,,, and their own website had 108 tooth flywheels listed.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by scoot » 12 Aug 2022, 7:47 pm

An old 2h landcruiser may be 108 teeth but I haven't got any access to one of those old girls to check. 12ht is a bit like a unicorn here.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Aug 2022, 6:41 pm

scoot wrote:An old 2h landcruiser may be 108 teeth but I haven't got any access to one of those old girls to check. 12ht is a bit like a unicorn here.

Yeah Mate,,,,,, that is the animal that I need.
Just got confirmation from a bloke thats got one for sale,,,,,,,,,,, trouble is he's over 1,000 klms away and I shudder to think what the postage rate would be.

But yeah,,,,, 2H flywheel is 108 teeth
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation