Which ammo is more accurate in said firearm thread

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Which ammo is more accurate in said firearm thread

Post by deye243 » 18 Aug 2022, 9:55 pm

Ok we have all seen them on this forum and countless other forums newbies asking and sometimes they're not newbies what ammunition will work better in said firearm .
As any barrel will tell you eventually what it likes should this be a sticky.
should somebody else do it worded better than me let's face it we are inundated every week with threads of this nature.....
Last edited by deye243 on 19 Aug 2022, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Which ammo is more accurate in said firearm thread

Post by mickb » 18 Aug 2022, 11:17 pm

i dont mind re answering these sorts of questions. Its a forum, not a library, the idea is to meet and speak, even over the same stuff. Also how much obvious stuff would become stickies? I like to see newbies given a fair shake when they ask anything, or even advanced guys when they ask about an area they are not sure of.

On big forums these days I can even predict the answers

Reply 1 is 'the why bother doing that' guy, he is often 1 or 2, across the whole internet. Seriously I wonder if they have a special alert from the webmaster :)
Reply 2 is a safety warning guy.
Reply 3 is a suggestion to get themselves a different gun, load, ammo or hobby. The "so you want to know where the best place to get a steak is, what you need is a chicken dinner' guy. :D
he's dangerous because there may be 3-5 more fellas from the same tribe now answer as well. A guy asking about head shooting dogs with a 22Lr will have it revealed to him hunting deer with a 338 win mag is what he should be doing.

There is also the 'one-line reply guy', crams as much smug derision into a sentence like he was born with a rifle.

You got the semantics guy as well. You make a long paragraph with general comments and he will pull you up and quote just one sentence of it, take it out of context and spend 6 lines telling you why you have failed at gun knowledge 101.

A good thread is where someone with experience and willing to share it gets involved early. Im a prime example here :wtf: :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by deye243 » 19 Aug 2022, 1:31 am

Holy crap and you win and I mean this in a good way .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 19 Aug 2022, 8:34 am

Nailed it :thumbsup: @mickb
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Aug 2022, 4:44 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 19 Aug 2022, 9:57 pm

I think you missed one. The one that hasn't a clue from any experience but wants to come across as an expert having read it somewhere on the net. The Plagiarist
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2022, 6:21 am

mickb wrote:i dont mind re answering these sorts of questions. Its a forum, not a library, the idea is to meet and speak, even over the same stuff. Also how much obvious stuff would become stickies? I like to see newbies given a fair shake when they ask anything, or even advanced guys when they ask about an area they are not sure of.

On big forums these days I can even predict the answers

Reply 1 is 'the why bother doing that' guy, he is often 1 or 2, across the whole internet. Seriously I wonder if they have a special alert from the webmaster :)
Reply 2 is a safety warning guy.
Reply 3 is a suggestion to get themselves a different gun, load, ammo or hobby. The "so you want to know where the best place to get a steak is, what you need is a chicken dinner' guy. :D
he's dangerous because there may be 3-5 more fellas from the same tribe now answer as well. A guy asking about head shooting dogs with a 22Lr will have it revealed to him hunting deer with a 338 win mag is what he should be doing.

There is also the 'one-line reply guy', crams as much smug derision into a sentence like he was born with a rifle.

You got the semantics guy as well. You make a long paragraph with general comments and he will pull you up and quote just one sentence of it, take it out of context and spend 6 lines telling you why you have failed at gun knowledge 101.

A good thread is where someone with experience and willing to share it gets involved early. Im a prime example here :wtf: :lol:

well said mickb :thumbsup: i've gained lots of good advice and information over the years from this forum , and because it's a forum , there's various veiws to go with the different personalities on this forum :D . that's the nature of a forum . grand dad bushy was a wealth of information and is sorely missed . people like him make this forum well worthwhile . i got back into shooting/hunting after a long break , and being a newby was very daunting at times. but this forum made things much easier to make the right choices . so i say to those of you who are willing to take the time to help , thanks . :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 20 Aug 2022, 7:19 am

You also left out the guy that chimes in suggesting a 10k plus scope and your wasting your time with anything less, when a new guy is just getting into the sport and makes it clear they are on a tight budget...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 20 Aug 2022, 8:44 am

deye243 wrote:Ok we have all seen them on this forum and countless other forums newbies asking and sometimes they're not newbies what ammunition will work better in said firearm .
As any barrel will tell you eventually what it likes should this be a sticky.
should somebody else do it worded better than me let's face it we are inundated every week with threads of this nature.....

In reality without such questions the forum is almost dead . Think about it . If you embarras peopel into not asking such questions it could be detremental . Look what happened to the gun forum Aushunt , it's dead as a do do because of a single group of people from a single state totally monopolizing the discourse .
There are no bad questions only a few bad answers .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 20 Aug 2022, 9:20 am

yep and what one person doesn't know someone else will. Everyone knows something and its the pooling of this knowledge that makes for a great forum...
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Aug 2022, 9:56 am

animalpest wrote:I think you missed one. The one that hasn't a clue from any experience but wants to come across as an expert having read it somewhere on the net. The Plagiarist

By far the most common.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Aug 2022, 7:03 pm

How about the "Try the search feature" guy.
The one who gets his nose put out of joint about "already covered topics"

With that attitude, they'd be no need for most forums to exist, just lock all threads and be done with it. :thumbsup:

And the ones who get funny about old thread digs.
"The threads 6 years old mate"
Like nothing of value can be added :unknown:
I'ts probably the same bloke :lol:

Oh, let's not forget MR "I've already said that"
as if to say he's word is gospel and there's no need to back it up with the same answer or option.

Iv never really seen much of those attitudes here, probably because we're a bunch of fuddy boot lickers, but I saw loads of it on an old long gone Holden forum.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 20 Aug 2022, 11:06 pm

What's a holden
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 21 Aug 2022, 7:35 am

It stands for
Hope our luck dont end now
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Blr243 » 21 Aug 2022, 1:56 pm

And then there is me , replying to an old topic , but with memory so bad I have forgotten that I have already replied months or years ago
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 21 Aug 2022, 3:46 pm

at least you don't do what I do and reply to the previous thread I was reading in the next one. Lucky there's a edit button :roll:
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Fionn » 21 Aug 2022, 4:05 pm

Yes, I am going there :lol:

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria