HELP needed. Any auto sparkies ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

HELP needed. Any auto sparkies ?

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Aug 2022, 11:28 pm

If there are any auto sparkies on here, to answer my question.

Can a DPST switch be used in place of a SPDT switch ? :unknown:

Cheers,
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: HELP needed. Any auto sparkies ?

Post by cz515 » 23 Aug 2022, 5:37 am

Not a sparkly, but

a spdt will have three legs and a dpst have 4. Where the spdt shine is you can control two circuits, so it can be both off, or one of the two on.

So If you only use two legs on your spdt then a dpst will work.

Can you get a dpdt and only use one of the circuits?

What's the application, jaycar, ebay or some other online sites have plenty of these switches. Try looking at futurlec.com but wait about a month (unless you get dhl courier) as it comes from OS.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by scoot » 23 Aug 2022, 2:29 pm

Spdt will have 3 positions on/off/on
3 pins on back - power in the middle. Power out to one circuit at top. Power out to other circuit bottom.
Dpst will have 2 positions on/off.
4 pins on back - Power in & out down one side. Power in & out down the other side for a separate circuit.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Aug 2022, 11:14 pm

Thanks Gents,
I bought a new 12 volt speed controller that has a 3 terminal switch included.
But,,,,
The old system utilized a 6 terminal switch to do the job.
The new switch is also physically smaller than the old, and also is not spring loaded to the off position which is what I need.

Today I purchased a new 3 terminal spring loaded to the "off" switch that is physically the same size as the old switch.
So now its simply plug and play. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation