English as it is wroten ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

English as it is wroten ?

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Aug 2022, 6:08 pm

How ridiculous is our English when you have situations like this ?,,,,,,,,,,,

If you type the word "havent" spell check grabs you by the short and curlies saying your wrong.

But,,,, if you type "haven't" it's perfectly ok.

One single key strike between correct and in correct,,,,,,,,,,, so you may as well have typed "have not" in the first instance and be done with.

:unknown: :crazy: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: English as it is wroten ?

Post by cz515 » 28 Aug 2022, 6:09 pm

Just add havent in your dictionary prob solved
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 28 Aug 2022, 6:22 pm

""If I tell you R O N G spells 'wrong', and you tell me it doesn't because it doesn't have a W, I ask you, what does it spell?""

Lawson?
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 28 Aug 2022, 6:30 pm

If you turn off the spell checker completely it will never grab you by anything important so all spelling is whatever you want it to be.

Plus, as an added bonus, the things you write will be far more entertaining for anyone that reads them.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Aug 2022, 7:25 pm

rc42 wrote:If you turn off the spell checker completely it will never grab you by anything important so all spelling is whatever you want it to be.

Plus, as an added bonus, the things you write will be far more entertaining for anyone that reads them.

:lol: :lol:

You mean like an advert I saw recently,,,, someone had some "Loosern" hay for sale.

And another that was in our local Bunnings store and written on the aisle board in the tool section,,, "Wreaking Bars"

It makes the mind boggle how so many people these days manage to get a job,,,,, let alone keep one.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 28 Aug 2022, 8:33 pm

Mine autocorrects " havent " to " haven't " anyway :unknown:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 28 Aug 2022, 8:56 pm

For a while mine was auto correcting "have" to "jane"
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Aug 2022, 9:13 pm

cz515 wrote:For a while mine was auto correcting "have" to "jane"

But the question is,, was it a Plain Jane or a complicated Bitch ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 29 Aug 2022, 7:53 am

DJ: "It makes the mind boggle how so many people these days manage to get a job,,,,, let alone keep one."

Nowadays the fundamentals of English expression and grammar are taught less and less to students as it's enough in the brave new progressive world for students to express their feelings. [I taught English Expression in my first year of teaching.] What is forgotten is that someone writing a letter or a report in industry or even government service is still required to be literate and use clear, precise English. The personal feelings/slang usage of the individual aren't relevant in formal settings when people work for and represent an organisation. As for pronoun usage even so-called serious newspapers such as The Age obviously lack editorial oversight as, in one sentence, pronouns referring to one individual [male or female], can change from singular to plural and back again. My father, who worked in radio and later television, managed a commercial radio station in Melbourne. If one of the announcers mispronounced a word 'on air' - my father was always listening in his office - that person would receive a memo explaining the correct use of and pronunciation of the particular word. It was a matter of pride that his radio station set a high standard in English expression and communication. Needless to say I and my brother learned to speak the Queen's English from birth which helped us greatly in later life as we could express ourselves clearly and correctly.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 29 Aug 2022, 8:42 am

Funny-advertising-fail.jpg
Funny-advertising-fail.jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 29 Aug 2022, 8:47 am

Once witnessed what was almost certainly the "set up" of a young woman who was aspiring to be a news reader.
Whoever wrote the script included the word "Logisticians", she had not a clue and after stumbling pronounced it "Lojsins".
Teaching of correct English expression is doubleplusungood.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2022, 7:20 pm

NTSOG wrote:DJ: "It makes the mind boggle how so many people these days manage to get a job,,,,, let alone keep one."

What is forgotten is that someone writing a letter or a report in industry or even government service is still required to be literate and use clear, precise English.

Jim

Dead right there Mate,, Newspaper journalists are some of the worst of "the spellers" of today.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 30 Aug 2022, 1:13 am

Die Judicii wrote:How ridiculous is our English when you have situations like this ?,,,,,,,,,,,

If you type the word "havent" spell check grabs you by the short and curlies saying your wrong.

One single key strike between correct and in correct,,,,,,,,,,, so you may as well have typed "have not" in the first instance and be done with.

That's nothing try using the microphone and say varmint :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 30 Aug 2022, 9:04 pm

Die Judicii wrote:How ridiculous is our English when you have situations like this ?,,,,,,,,,,,

When you say "your wrong" I think you mean "you're wrong".
Sorry couldn't help myself! :D
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 31 Aug 2022, 7:16 am

G'day Lsfan,

I reckon apostrophes cause more grief than just about any other element of grammar, though the words there and their confuse some people. 'Would've ...' [short for 'would have...'] is another usage that confuses and often is written as 'would of ...' based on how the words are pronounced.

When I was teaching English Expression there were times when I saw so many incorrect grammatical constructions and spelling mistakes from my students that I began to doubt my own sanity and ability to read and write English!

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 31 Aug 2022, 9:16 am

Big one that gets my goat is when people use the word "vulnerable" and pronounce it "vunnerable". From newsreaders, talk show hosts, politicians and folks who consider themselves highly educated to lowly plebs. It's pronounced VUL-NER-ABLE you morons! :roll:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 31 Aug 2022, 11:05 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day Lsfan,

I reckon apostrophes cause more grief than just about any other element of grammar, though the words there and their confuse some people. 'Would've ...' [short for 'would have...'] is another usage that confuses and often is written as 'would of ...' based on how the words are pronounced.

When I was teaching English Expression there were times when I saw so many incorrect grammatical constructions and spelling mistakes from my students that I began to doubt my own sanity and ability to read and write English!

Jim

Here's someone who really took it to heart

https://youtu.be/A2Vl80TIV0o
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 31 Aug 2022, 1:17 pm

My wife has an Aunt who will get up and correct blackboard menus that have bad punctuation and discuss bad grammar with staff and how it should be corrected.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 31 Aug 2022, 2:57 pm

Saw a Facebook ad yesterday for a 383 Cleveland steal crank...
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Aug 2022, 7:16 pm

Lsfan wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 01 Sep 2022, 8:24 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day Lsfan,

Jim

True, and that was very well written!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 01 Sep 2022, 8:26 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Lsfan wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know we all make typos. Sometimes I look at my own emails and wonder what the helI I was thinking.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 02 Sep 2022, 7:28 am

G'day Lsfan: "... and that was very well written!"

Thankyou. English as we know it is a conglomerate of words and structures from other languages including Latin, French, Germanic, etc. That makes it appear difficult and even illogical especially with some of the spelling. I'm certain that having had to study Latin, French and German at school and later university has helped my understanding of grammar and word-meanings. I believe English is a tough language to learn for immigrants, but it's fundamental to success here in Australia or other English-speaking countries just as I would want to improve my spoken German if I went to live in Germany - mind you the Germans have some interesting rules about word order and where to put verbs. They also tend to use long compound words which include multiple ideas/concepts.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Sep 2022, 8:38 am

Even when the spelling, grammar and punctuation is spot on, English is pretty a stupid hotchpotch of languages strung together with silent letters and words that aren't spelt as they sound.
English is considered to hold some kind of noble high ground by many that speak / write "the Queens English" especially by all the spelling, grammar and punctuation Nazis out there.

Fancy having so many words that while being spelt the same, mean completely different things. (homonyms) There's hundreds of them.
That's light.
There's no light.

Punctuation, miss one little comma and your sentence takes on a whole new meaning turning you in to a cannibal.
Let's eat, grandma
Let's eat grandma
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by NTSOG » 02 Sep 2022, 10:04 am

on_one_wheel:

"Let's eat, grandma
Let's eat grandma."

I like it!

One thing to remember is that some people are primarily 'audiles' and others are 'visiles'. I am a 'visile' meaning I understand written language better than spoken language, especially when spoken language is 'casual' meaning using abbreviations and slang. Sentences with double negatives cause me some strife too! Audiles are comfortable and able with spoken language.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 02 Sep 2022, 8:36 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Even when the spelling, grammar and punctuation is spot on, English is pretty a stupid hotchpotch of languages strung together with silent letters and words that aren't spelt as they sound.
English is considered to hold some kind of noble high ground by many that speak / write "the Queens English" especially by all the spelling, grammar and punctuation Nazis out there.

Fancy having so many words that while being spelt the same, mean completely different things. (homonyms) There's hundreds of them.
That's light.
There's no light.

Punctuation, miss one little comma and your sentence takes on a whole new meaning turning you in to a cannibal.
Let's eat, grandma
Let's eat grandma

As much as a hate to say it, I think the Americans have a better way of spelling things. Jail vs Gaol for example. Even the way they pronounce words with r's in them seems more logical to me, whereas us Aussies make them silent.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 02 Sep 2022, 8:39 pm

NTSOG wrote:on_one_wheel:

"Let's eat, grandma
Let's eat grandma."

I like it!

One thing to remember is that some people are primarily 'audiles' and others are 'visiles'. I am a 'visile' meaning I understand written language better than spoken language, especially when spoken language is 'casual' meaning using abbreviations and slang. Sentences with double negatives cause me some strife too! Audiles are comfortable and able with spoken language.

Jim

Well it's a pleasure to read your writing and clearly you take pride in what you type.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 03 Sep 2022, 3:46 pm

BC30241F-9262-4372-B676-CC6AF5733C43.jpeg
BC30241F-9262-4372-B676-CC6AF5733C43.jpeg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Sep 2022, 10:55 pm

Their not called the Central Intelligence Agency for nothing

Their, they're, there
stupid English
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 04 Sep 2022, 12:57 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Their not called the Central Intelligence Agency for nothing

Their, they're, there
stupid English

I've got a language program and been trying to teach myself German.
Learning the words is not that hard but the difference in grammer and syntax has me buggered.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation