Dehydrator

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Dehydrator

Post by northdude » 29 Aug 2022, 5:32 am

Anyone here dehydrate food for camping? Looking at trying it out, whats the things to look for when buying a food dehydrator?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: Dehydrator

Post by CRF » 30 Aug 2022, 4:44 pm

I do jerky and such.

But if you're talking about the meals you buy, they're not dehydrated, they're freeze dried. Different process.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Aug 2022, 6:03 pm

It’s worth I think being very careful regarding leaving enough moisture in a food product that bacteria multiplies and becomes dangerous esp when new to the game and experimenting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 30 Aug 2022, 7:06 pm

ok I was wondering if you say have a left over dinner can you put it in a dehydrator then put it in a bag and then take it camping, Whe you want to use it tip some boiling water in it? Is that how it works?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mchughcb » 30 Aug 2022, 8:23 pm

northdude wrote:ok I was wondering if you say have a left over dinner can you put it in a dehydrator then put it in a bag and then take it camping, Whe you want to use it tip some boiling water in it? Is that how it works?

Better off getting the vacum sealing packs. I've done meat etc while hunting interstate and because it sucks all the air out it can literally last days without refrigeration.

On the otherhand I have the big dehydrator for doing biltong. You can go cheap for small capacity for about $100 or go expensive with 5 trays and that will cost about $500, complete with timer etc.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by CRF » 30 Aug 2022, 8:25 pm

Played around with doing that but was never happy with the result. As in never edible enough to worth keeping as an option.

If I had a freeze dryer I'd do it but you're looking at thousands of dollars for one.

Back country cuisine and all those are not dehydrated meals. Again big difference in dehydration and freeze drying.

I've always wanted to try pemmican, and will do someday.

For dehydration think of fruit snacks, jerky and biltong.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation