California where all the crazy stuff starts.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: California where all the crazy stuff starts.

Post by Lazarus » 04 Sep 2022, 1:06 pm

I found out there really are "evil minions"

Evil Minion.jpeg
Evil Minion.jpeg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 Sep 2022, 4:08 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I think the Amish have the most sensible approach to living on this planet.

It looks like a good balance between stone age living with zero impact and 2020's living where we chew every up and spit it out... the throw it away age?

If the planet is in so much trouble why is it still legal to make things non serviceable?

this is the crux of the problem . human population is expanding at a unprecedented rate and ,we have developing countries around the world moving from a low impact village life (like the amish) to wanting first world luxuries , = more munufactuing . climate problem , simples. we'll manfacture more "green" products :roll:

the amount of mining for rare earth metals and copper negates any "green" savings , and the energy expended to make electric cars . human civilisation needs expansion for jobs ect , to prosper . more manufacturing . new products to sell to consumers .that's why nothing is made to last anymore .

your right about the throw away age . western culture in these modern days is a joke in that regard

i saw a doco on the mayans , i think , where their population expanded to a point they'd cut down all their forests for timber and farming land . the loss of the forests brought on extended drought which brought down their empire through famine . no evaporation/humidity from forest canopy , no rain .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 04 Sep 2022, 5:02 pm

Hey Laz regards inkjet printers. The ink cartridges they come with are called starter cartridges. They have nominalminimal ink in them to get you up and running... say print 50 pages instead of 500 that a full carted will give.

Also esp with cheaper printers they sell you the printer at a loss with expectation that you will buy the ink cartridges over time and they make their profit there.

I usually buy colour laser multifunction printers, and always get generic toners from ebay. The laser are expensive to buy but the tone lasts 1500-2000 pages and this work out cheaper per page, esp when buying generic toner
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Sep 2022, 8:55 pm

Lazarus wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I
If the planet is in so much trouble why is it still legal to make things non serviceable?

Excellent point.
Planned obsolescence is at the root of that problem, eh?

Printers are just one example, you can buy a photo capable printer for $35, yet replacement ink can be 3 times that.
They also have a counter in the power circuit so if you can get cheap ink, you only get a certain number of pages before the counter opens the circuit and your printer no longer works.
I can't find it but there's a docco called "The 1000 hour light bulb" where it's explained better.
The article below does explain how it started.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/the-great-lig ... conspiracy

Printer cartridges are an excellent example, they've gone to great lengths to ensure refilling them is borderline impossible.

Maintenance free lead acid battery's is another.
They'd last much longer if you could top up the levels and add a little Phosphoric acid once in a while but the tops are welded in place making the job of maintenance almost impossible.
(1.5mm holes, a big syringe and hot glue to re-seal is the go)

When governments force an end to the mass production of junk designed to fail, I'll know their serious about saving the planet.

I wonder how the Livermore Centennial light bulb is going ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 05 Sep 2022, 8:09 am

bigrich wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I think the Amish have the most sensible approach to living on this planet.

It looks like a good balance between stone age living with zero impact and 2020's living where we chew every up and spit it out... the throw it away age?

this is the crux of the problem . human population is expanding at a unprecedented rate and ,we have developing countries around the world moving from a low impact village life (like the amish) to wanting first world luxuries , = more munufactuing . climate problem , simples. we'll manfacture more "green" products :roll:

the amount of mining for rare earth metals and copper negates any "green" savings , and the energy expended to make electric cars . human civilisation needs expansion for jobs ect , to prosper . more manufacturing . new products to sell to consumers .that's why nothing is made to last anymore .

your right about the throw away age . western culture in these modern days is a joke in that regard

i saw a doco on the mayans , i think , where their population expanded to a point they'd cut down all their forests for timber and farming land . the loss of the forests brought on extended drought which brought down their empire through famine . no evaporation/humidity from forest canopy , no rain .

Well, if you look at demographic projections to 2100, as Elon Musk has pointed out recently, really what we need to worry about is depopulation, not the other way around. Russia, China, Japan and parts of Europe are already in an irreversible population decline. And as a lot of other countries develop, their birth rate plateaus and then often declines as well.

I'm starting to see issues here in the USA with the big boomer population retiring or dying off and not having younger people around to fulfill those jobs. Funny enough in my county the population growth is from amish and mennonites, who live that simpler lifestyle but have more children. I just had some amish at my house for two weeks fixing the roof and they have phones, power tools and all that, but don't drive or have electricity at their house. They are also more politically active these days too. They had NRA and gun stickers all over their tool boxes. My mennonite neighbors drive cars and use the internet though.

I don't buy into the Malthusian theory, I see the opposite. The more freedom and the more people around, the more problems get solved. It's why the USA over the past 200 years totally changed the world with modern technology. The world has never seen innovation like it before and it's due to people solving problems and having a financial incentive to do so. When we squash that with bureaucracy or Malthusian evil minions that want to live forever and have everyone else die off or live in poverty, we go backwards.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Sep 2022, 8:56 am

Elon Musk, what a hypocrite "we need to depopulate to save the planet"

Has 9 children to 3 women is heavily involved with mass production, and blasts rocket through the atmosphere :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 05 Sep 2022, 9:33 am

In other words...a true American
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation