Scam call: dial 1

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Scam call: dial 1

Post by NTSOG » 06 Sep 2022, 3:33 pm

G'day,

Today I received a call informing me via a computerised female voice that there had been a debit of $500.00 on my VISA card. I was then instructed to dial 1 if there was a problem. I laughed and hung up. I am curious though as to what the crooks' strategy is when gullible people do dial 1. What happens next? Does anyone know?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Scam call: dial 1

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2022, 3:40 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

Today I received a call informing me via a computerised female voice that there had been a debit of $500.00 on my VISA card. I was then instructed to dial 1 if there was a problem. I laughed and hung up. I am curious though as to what the crooks' strategy is when gullible people do dial 1. What happens next? Does anyone know?

Jim

It probably diverts the call to an actual person? Costs nothing to have a computer make a million calls, they only want to waste time with the ones that engage with them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 06 Sep 2022, 3:46 pm

Some intelligent person did some rarest a few years ago. They found that scammers deliberately put in grammer/ spelling mistakes in their speal because they don't want to deal with intelligent people who do not pickup on the mistakes.

In your case, 100% if you clicked 1 it would take you to a real person. I suggest if you have spare time to indulge in some time wasting instead of slamming the phone straight away.

They now have me on some do not call him register, as i don't get those calls anymore
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 06 Sep 2022, 4:17 pm

I received a call a couple of weeks ago from some mob calling themselves Energy Monster.

Their spiel was that they'd received a report that my energy contract was about to expire and the charges were going to be raised by 60%, but if I let them have my details and they could negotiate a new contract I might be eligible to win a $50 gift card :lol:

It took some doing to interrupt the caller amidst the background noise, that sounded like a fox had gotten into the chook shed, but I eventually broke into her programed script and pointed out that I had started a new 12 month contract less than 3 months before.

I'll give her credit for persistence but I finally shut her up by asking her who my provider was.
She hedged and dodged but finally said she didn't know.

After hanging up on her I rang my provider and they had received dozens of similar reports of their scam attempts.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 06 Sep 2022, 4:20 pm

cz515 wrote:They now have me on some do not call him register, as i don't get those calls anymore

I've been on the do not call register since it's inception, it only works for legitimate businesses, scammers don't take any notice, judging by the number I've fended off.

Seems you're lucky.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Sep 2022, 4:29 pm

I was getting hammered this time last year, I had an absolute blast... then like majic it all just stopped.

I found it very amusing that someone who's prepared to scam another person can have the audacity to get annoyed at having their time wasted.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Larry » 06 Sep 2022, 4:39 pm

As I was reading this I got a call claiming to be from ebay wanting me to acknowledge a $299.99 purchase or press 2 to query or cancel.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigpete » 06 Sep 2022, 6:50 pm

cz515 wrote:Some intelligent person did some rarest a few years ago. They found that scammers deliberately put in grammer/ spelling mistakes in their speal because they don't want to deal with intelligent people who do not pickup on the mistakes.

In your case, 100% if you clicked 1 it would take you to a real person. I suggest if you have spare time to indulge in some time wasting instead of slamming the phone straight away.

They now have me on some do not call him register, as i don't get those calls anymore

Is this a scam ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bazz » 06 Sep 2022, 7:01 pm

We get around 5 or 6 calls to the business each week, be it the "technical department from Telstra" or "Visa fraud" or "Amazon Billing". We normally wait on the line as they connect you to someone after you pick up. Good for a laugh to f*** with them. I've got a small airhorn on my desk that I give my workmates a heads up and blast into the phone. The trick is to speak quite softly before I do this so they turn up their headset on the other end.

Childish but we enjoy it :lol:
Bazz
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Sep 2022, 7:21 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I was getting hammered this time last year, I had an absolute blast... then like majic it all just stopped.

I found it very amusing that someone who's prepared to scam another person can have the audacity to get annoyed at having their time wasted.

I pride myself on the number of times I've successfully wasted their time to the point that they hang up on me. :lol: :lol:
They must mostly originate from the same people,, because I don't get many scam calls anymore.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 06 Sep 2022, 7:24 pm

Bazz wrote:We get around 5 or 6 calls to the business each week, be it the "technical department from Telstra" or "Visa fraud" or "Amazon Billing". We normally wait on the line as they connect you to someone after you pick up. Good for a laugh to f*** with them. I've got a small airhorn on my desk that I give my workmates a heads up and blast into the phone. The trick is to speak quite softly before I do this so they turn up their headset on the other end.

Childish but we enjoy it :lol:

Wow that's is just brilliant
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Sep 2022, 8:33 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I was getting hammered this time last year, I had an absolute blast... then like majic it all just stopped.

I pride myself on the number of times I've successfully wasted their time to the point that they hang up on me. :lol: :lol:
They must mostly originate from the same people,, because I don't get many scam calls anymore.

There's definitely a few big scam centres, they are able to run unobstructed by government because they've also got their fingers in the pie as well.
There was a episode on TV a while back where they f***ed around with the scammers computers and hacked their cameras.
They even went overseas for a look at one of the operation and saved a couple of people from having their life savings drained during the show.
I think this was the episode https://youtu.be/MsYTRZSlfi0

My problem started after using my flybys card at Bunnings. Constant spam emails and scam calls.
I reckon they either sell your information once they get it or how they secure your information isn't great.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Sep 2022, 10:19 pm

I used to put them "on hold". They just love it. Lol

But now I don't get any. I set the mobile up for "do not disturb." So now only contacts can call me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation