The world's gone stark raving mad.

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

The world's gone stark raving mad.

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Sep 2022, 9:29 pm

As the title indicates,,,, thanks to a good dose of old fashioned American "Let's Sue" mentality,, this is what we reap.

My utes power steering pump is worn and not working as well as it should.
No leaks,,,, but just not performing well.
I cannot currently afford a new one from Toyota, so I bought a brand new aftermarket one.

So,,, with the new pump and bottles of new Penzoil fluid I went into town today to book it in to get it fitted.

No way,,,,,,, I was told.
"We won't fit it because we didn't order it in ourselves,,, and we don't want to get sued if something goes wrong"

(even though the new pump has it's own warranty)

:crazy: :wtf:

I ended up going to three of the best known mechanics in town,,,,, and get the same story from all of them.

As if that wasn't bad enough,, they also refused to book me in for a service because I said I don't use synthetic oil,,,, and have always only used mineral oil for as long as I've owned the vehicle.

With attitudes like that I can't help but wonder where we'll all end up.

I usually have in the past done my own services and most mechanical work, but currently am not able to do so.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: The world's gone stark raving mad.

Post by animalpest » 13 Sep 2022, 10:56 pm

My wife's 4x4 is booked in tomorrow to get a cv replaced on the front drive shaft. I am supplying the parts. No problem there.

I have supplied plenty of the parts needed to fit my vehicles. The markup they want to charge is often outrageous. Recently the wife's car had a service done and they said the air filter need replacing when we picked it up. Said it was $50 but ridiculously didn't put a new one in. I went one block down the road, bought one for $15 and put it in myself.

Go elsewhere.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 13 Sep 2022, 11:43 pm

My mennonite mechanic has no problem with me supplying the parts.

Also for some older vehicles they are not meant to use synthetic oil anyways. Ultimately regardless you are the customer so it's your choice.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Sep 2022, 12:23 am

animalpest wrote:My wife's 4x4 is booked in tomorrow to get a cv replaced on the front drive shaft. I am supplying the parts. No problem there.

I have supplied plenty of the parts needed to fit my vehicles. The markup they want to charge is often outrageous. Recently the wife's car had a service done and they said the air filter need replacing when we picked it up. Said it was $50 but ridiculously didn't put a new one in. I went one block down the road, bought one for $15 and put it in myself.

Go elsewhere.

Heh,,,,, I've just about ran out of "elsewhere" to try.
With one of my earlier Cruisers (12 years ago) I was taking it to the Toyota Dealership for its services,,, the old 2H motor, and they were renowned for tappets tightening up or running loose.
They regularly included "Adjust tappets" on the accounts,,, and after a while I got suspicious of being "had"

So the last time it ever went there I put Thread Locker on the rocker cover nuts.
When I went to pick it up, I asked their mechanic how the tappets were this time ?

Oh yeah,, he said,,,, a couple of em definitely needed adjusting.

So I said to him ,,,,,, come have a look at something.
We lifted the bonnet and I pointed to the "undisturbed" nuts on the rocker cover.

They were definitely not very happy about being sprung, and that was the last time they got any of my or my mates business.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Sep 2022, 12:25 am

wanneroo wrote:My mennonite mechanic has no problem with me supplying the parts.

Also for some older vehicles they are not meant to use synthetic oil anyways. Ultimately regardless you are the customer so it's your choice.

Yeah,,,,,, Dead Right,,,,, but that doesn't help much when you find yourself in a situation when you can't do it yourself. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by S O K A R » 14 Sep 2022, 1:49 am

What a bunch of clowns
They're providing a service not a product
If something causes the "part" to fail then the ownus is on the company that supplies said product, how do they not understand that....
Unless their work is shonky & then they would be liable for any misfortune due to poor installation but jeez

If you can't find a local mechanic to do it for you, maybe ring around & see if there are any mobile mechanics that would tackle the job
Another approach would be to put an add on gumtree/facebook marketplace/craigslist etc seeing if someone with experience would be interested in a cash job
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by northdude » 14 Sep 2022, 4:49 am

Try and find a kiwi mechanic. I know a couple over there and they are creaming it because of attitudes like above. They might even be able to repair your vehicle not just be parts fitters...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Sep 2022, 6:11 am

Pretty sad, I'd fit it.

The oil part is equally bad.
On vehicles with short service intervals there's no point running synthetic oil as you don't gain the advantage of its long life because it becomes heavily contaminated with carbon well before it looses its ability to properly lubricate.
Anything other than mineral oil and your throwing money away.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 14 Sep 2022, 8:35 am

Dude that sucks I bought a lift kit from the USA to put on my new car, still under warranty.all the BS on various forums was it will void warranty. Tok it back to my local dealership and they say great, no problems, this much to install. They even had to grind off a bit for the rear to fit. They said it doesn't void warranty. I ran that car for 9 years with the lift kit and they always gave it to the same mechanic that installed it.

Last week I needed a new part and they said after market is cheaper, better and installed in 30 min.

Having a dealership that is listening to the customer is why I've stayed with them 12 years.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 14 Sep 2022, 9:55 am

So got my dinghy motor serviced the day before I left for a holiday 1200 km away (got back last night). Only a morning of trolling with it before it died.

Totally spoilt my holiday watching perfect weather conditions with no boat.

After spending $1000 to service a 30hp 2 stroke motor and getting 4 hours out of it makes me feel ripped off.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 14 Sep 2022, 10:29 am

Die Judicii wrote:
wanneroo wrote:My mennonite mechanic has no problem with me supplying the parts.

Yeah,,,,,, Dead Right,,,,, but that doesn't help much when you find yourself in a situation when you can't do it yourself. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I know but surely there is someone out there willing to do the work. You might have to go find a shadetree mechanic out there working a side job.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

animalpest wrote:So got my dinghy motor serviced the day before I left for a holiday 1200 km away (got back last night). Only a morning of trolling with it before it died.

After spending $1000 to service a 30hp 2 stroke motor and getting 4 hours out of it makes me feel ripped off.

That's nothing. Try caravan repairer who openly state it's OK if 1 of 4 brakes don't work.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 14 Sep 2022, 1:19 pm

So you've only just come to that conclusion now?
I knew the world had gone bat s**t crazy years ago.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 14 Sep 2022, 1:35 pm

This is a digression from the initial subject, sorry DJ, but is right in line with the heading.

I read this morning that Anus Tangerinus, the 45th president of the USA, is making another run for office and that under the letter of US law, even if he is convicted of a felony and imprisoned under the espionage act for improper handling of top secret documents, there is no statute that explicitly prohibits his standing, winning and taking office, even while locked up in a jumpsuit that matches his fake tan.

Now that is some crazy sh!t.

Donald Trump could become president of the United States again — even if he's in jail
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-14/ ... /101420494
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Sep 2022, 3:16 pm

Lazarus wrote:This is a digression from the initial subject, sorry DJ, but is right in line with the heading.

I read this morning that Anus Tangerinus, the 45th president of the USA, is making another run for office and that under the letter of US law, even if he is convicted of a felony and imprisoned under the espionage act for improper handling of top secret documents, there is no statute that explicitly prohibits his standing, winning and taking office, even while locked up in a jumpsuit that matches his fake tan.

Donald Trump could become president of the United States again — even if he's in jail

And he'll still do a better job than the decrepit moron currently in charge of the nuclear power.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Sep 2022, 3:16 pm

I hope he wins
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 14 Sep 2022, 3:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
animalpest wrote:So got my dinghy motor serviced the day before I left for a holiday 1200 km away (got back last night). Only a morning of trolling with it before it died.

That's nothing. Try caravan repairer who openly state it's OK if 1 of 4 brakes don't work.

Now that is really stupid
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 14 Sep 2022, 5:02 pm

Leaving out the Orange, it is striking that you can't be Prez if you're born abroad but technically can if you're a convicted criminal serving a sentence :crazy:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 14 Sep 2022, 6:59 pm

I have had a local workshop say the same thing. I can understand their position, to a point. If the part fails, then you will go back to them to attend to it under warranty. And some aftermarket parts are more trouble than they are worth.

As for the oil, modern vehilcles have ever increasing oil specifications, many of them being synthetic. If yours is one of those, then I can see why they will not agree to use an oil spec not specified by the manufacturer.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Sep 2022, 10:05 pm

GQshayne wrote:
As for the oil, modern vehilcles have ever increasing oil specifications, many of them being synthetic. If yours is one of those, then I can see why they will not agree to use an oil spec not specified by the manufacturer.

It was born and bred to run on Mineral Oil Mate.
So why these workshops are now insisting on using Synthetic beats the hell outta me.
Maybe,,,,,,,, political undertones ? :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 14 Sep 2022, 11:25 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
GQshayne wrote:

It was born and bred to run on Mineral Oil Mate.
So why these workshops are now insisting on using Synthetic beats the hell outta me.
Maybe,,,,,,,, political undertones ? :unknown:

More expensive, higher profit margin.

However synthetic lasts longer. I do oil changes every 10K miles on mine.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 15 Sep 2022, 3:11 am

Lazarus wrote:This is a digression from the initial subject, sorry DJ, but is right in line with the heading.

I talked to a lot of Americans every week on different forums by email and on the telephone when good old Donald was in a lot of these people I speak to said I may not like the person but at least I and my son's now have a job I speak to these same people quite regularly even now but now only one of their children have a bloody job get over it he was the best thing to happen to America in the last 20 bloody years regardless of what anybody says I wonder what they would find with Clinton the obummer if they went and raided their houses proberbly more smutt and a truck load of classified information but because nobody hated those limp dicks we will never know.....
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 15 Sep 2022, 3:17 am

Die Judicii wrote:As the title indicates,,,, thanks to a good dose of old fashioned American "Let's Sue" mentality,, this is what we reap.

My utes power steering pump is worn and not working as well as it should.
No leaks,,,, but just not performing well.
I cannot currently afford a new one from Toyota, so I bought a brand new aftermarket one.

So,,, with the new pump and bottles of new Penzoil fluid I went into town today to book it in to get it fitted.

No way,,,,,,, I was told.
"We won't fit it because we didn't order it in ourselves,,, and we don't want to get sued if something goes wrong"

(even though the new pump has it's own warranty)

:crazy: :wtf:

I ended up going to three of the best known mechanics in town,,,,, and get the same story from all of them.

As if that wasn't bad enough,, they also refused to book me in for a service because I said I don't use synthetic oil,,,, and have always only used mineral oil for as long as I've owned the vehicle.

With attitudes like that I can't help but wonder where we'll all end up.

I usually have in the past done my own services and most mechanical work, but currently am not able to do so.

And yes you are absolutely right after I had locked everything away in the gun room I was looking at my stubby of beer well bugger me on one part of the label it says best before SEE label so I go looking why couldn't these f****** idiots put it in the same place.
It was printed in macro form on the other side of the bottle .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 15 Sep 2022, 4:54 am

Can understand it in a way. We will do it at our work but sometimes it becomes a pain in the arse if the customer supplies the wrong bits then for some reason its our fault and they seem to think its our problem. Same with warranty because we fitted it its our fault and they have this idea that we have to sort it out for free. Some workshops cant be bothered with that bs so refuse or hike the price...
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by cz515 » 15 Sep 2022, 7:44 am

The thing is there is dealer branded markup on parts and then there is OEM parts and then there is Chinese parts.

A lot of times the Chinese part figment is bad that extra work needs to be done... so they might have quoted you 1hr to install the pump which is what a genuine pump would take but a Chinese one will take 2hrs. When time to do Bill everyone is upset as the Labor has gone up.

I was at an diesel injector owner and he told a guy on the phone sorry he is not going to do his injectors. I asked about it and he said he had so much terrible with Chinese engines that now he just refuses the job

Synthetic oil is bizarre, almost all mechanics i know but 200L drums of oil and use that... then mark it up slightly more then 5L bottle.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 15 Sep 2022, 8:43 am

cz515 wrote:A lot of times the Chinese part figment is bad that extra work needs to be done... so they might have quoted you 1hr to install the pump which is what a genuine pump would take but a Chinese one will take 2hrs. When time to do Bill everyone is upset as the Labor has gone up.

Similar story here
My dad runs an exhaust shop here in tas, gets loads of people buying chinese rubbish off the internet thinking it will be a straight bolt in job & then when they can't do it they try bring it to him expecting him to do it for peanuts
He won't do them anymore, tells them to take it elsewhere
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by northdude » 15 Sep 2022, 9:33 am

Or you get the customer that wants a cheap job finds the parts overseas comes in and shows you then wants you to order and pay for the parts and expects you to wear it if they are the wrong ones. Get told to piss off and sort it yourself
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Sep 2022, 11:08 am

northdude wrote:Can understand it in a way. We will do it at our work but sometimes it becomes a pain in the arse if the customer supplies the wrong bits then for some reason its our fault and they seem to think its our problem. Same with warranty because we fitted it its our fault and they have this idea that we have to sort it out for free. Some workshops cant be bothered with that bs so refuse or hike the price...

Same with the shop that i run i have no problem fitting customer supplied parts providing its from a reputable supplier. However at the bottom of every invoice I will have written

No Warranty given on customer supplied parts.

Sadly when things do go south usually the manufacturer will back out or cause a s**t fight. Customers then get all arky. My main suppliers will warrant what they have sold me and cover my labour costs. Im all for helping people out where i can but its certainly a huge gamble. I can understand why some shops won't take Jobs on I have had jobs go south and the consequences that go with it.

Once bitten twice shy.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Sep 2022, 3:24 pm

My old boss has a workshop and yard full of vehicles waiting on parts. All different makes and models. Parts availability for anything is f#cking ridiculous at the moment. 3 week wait for a set of tie-rod ends for a falcon ute FFS!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Sep 2022, 5:16 pm

My Triton has been out of action about 9 weeks waiting for parts. Latest yesterday was it will not be ready until very early next month.

Pissed, big time.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation