Credit Card Companies Tracking Gun Purchases

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Credit Card Companies Tracking Gun Purchases

Post by Lazarus » 23 Sep 2022, 1:25 pm

I can't find any mention of this practice being extended to Oz, yet, but knowing how things go, thought I'd mention this.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/firea ... -purchases
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Re: Credit Card Companies Tracking Gun Purchases

Post by rc42 » 23 Sep 2022, 1:53 pm

A never ending supply of popcorn is needed for the back and forth in the US

Apparently, some gun friendly US states are already passing legislation to completely block credit card companies from operating in the state if they impose this tracking, that might get them to re-think it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2022, 2:02 pm

Lazarus wrote:I can't find any mention of this practice being extended to Oz, yet, but knowing how things go, thought I'd mention this.

If you use a credit card to buy anything then it's already being "tracked", it'll show up on your statements. I just checked my own account and I can see all my direct firearm-related purchases listed there. The die set I ordered last week via Paypal though just shows as Ebay Shopping from a Pty Ltd company, nothing specific about firearms.

Whether they do anything with that data is the issue. I was upset twenty years ago when Ebay insisted we had to have a Paypal account to pay for anything, but it actually worked out well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 23 Sep 2022, 2:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:I can't find any mention of this practice being extended to Oz, yet, but knowing how things go, thought I'd mention this.

If you use a credit card to buy anything then it's already being "tracked", it'll show up on your statements. I just checked my own account and I can see all my direct firearm-related purchases listed there. The die set I ordered last week via Paypal though just shows as Ebay Shopping from a Pty Ltd company, nothing specific about firearms.

Whether they do anything with that data is the issue. I was upset twenty years ago when Ebay insisted we had to have a Paypal account to pay for anything, but it actually worked out well.

Yeah Blade, I get that card purchases are on record, main reason I use cash where possible, but as this article specifically refers to firearm related products I thought I'd share it.
I do love PayPal though.
Many times I've bought stuff, outside ebay, that either didn't arrive or was faulty, one call to paypal and the refund was in my account.

Ebay are much better as well, I bought an instant gas water heater that didn't work when it arrived.
I contacted the seller and they suggested I pull it apart and clean it, when I pointed out that that wasn't happening they offered me a $10 refund to keep it.
One call to ebay and refund happened that day.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 23 Sep 2022, 3:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:I was upset twenty years ago when Ebay insisted we had to have a Paypal account to pay for anything, but it actually worked out well.

I buy everything on eBay without a paypal account. I use a debit card account number, the sale still goes through a paypal/eBay page but I don’t have to log on or anything and I have to choose to not remember my details each and every time.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Sep 2022, 5:07 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I was upset twenty years ago when Ebay insisted we had to have a Paypal account to pay for anything, but it actually worked out well.

I buy everything on eBay without a paypal account. I use a debit card account number, the sale still goes through a paypal/eBay page but I don’t have to log on or anything and I have to choose to not remember my details each and every time.

Yes, they had to lighten up as people weren't happy with being forced into Paypal. I prefer to use Paypal wherever possible.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 23 Sep 2022, 7:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:

The thing is so you trust an Australian company that uses US Mastercard or visa to run the transactions through or a US company that uses Mastercard or Visa to run the money through.

The point being US companies are by law required to let US spy on your data. Further paypal conditions stay they do not support any firearm related transacting so if you use PayPal to buy that ammo or reloading great and the item doesn't show up.... good luck trying to get paypal to sort it.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 24 Sep 2022, 1:39 am

This is why they want to eliminate cash and go to government issued digital currencies. Easier to track and control. It will all be tied into AI and social credit scores and also the carbon hysteria stuff.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by cz515 » 24 Sep 2022, 6:07 am

I think i need to reclarify my post.

Firstly by law all American companies need to share their data with the feds, be that Google, Microsoft, visa or paypal etc. The data does not need to reside in the USA or even be of USA citizens.

So don't delude urself about anything is hidden from the evil goberment.

PayPal and square have clearly said they do not allow firearms sales via their platforms. And you are likely to have issues when disputing transactions of accessories.... you can google it
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 24 Sep 2022, 6:49 am

cz515 wrote:PayPal and square have clearly said they do not allow firearms sales via their platforms. And you are likely to have issues when disputing transactions of accessories.... you can google it

I have, this year alone, bought trigger springs, a muzzle attachment, a rifle scope and gun cleaning equipment through ebay and paid through PayPal.
No disputes, no problems.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 24 Sep 2022, 7:41 am

All banks have ESG policies which dictate who they do and do not lend to. You will find industries such as mining, logging, firearms and weapons manufacture and sale in many of them.
Extending these policies to fully revocable unsecured credit is a little new though.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2022, 9:38 am

cz515 wrote:And you are likely to have issues when disputing transactions of accessories.... you can google it

I can't recall ever disputing a transaction so I don't see that it matters. But I don't have any credit cards, perhaps they are a constant problem with disputes?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 24 Sep 2022, 11:44 am

Lol.

First you say you recommend paypal because of buyer protection. And then you say you have never used it so see no issue. The insurance of PayPal is worthless as you are using it outside their terms and reference, they may not find out and you might be fine... but if they do you are paddling up s**t creek.

Secondly there are a few ways sellers can game the system and even if they have done wrong keep your money
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 24 Sep 2022, 12:04 pm

cz515 wrote: The insurance of PayPal is worthless as you are using it outside their terms and reference

I'm not trying to start an argument here CZ, but as stated I have bought numerous gun related items through PayPal, have you?

If they accept the transaction they are bound both by their own legally binding terms of service and Australian consumer law to follow those terms.

Have you had a dispute on a gun related item where they refused to provide their stated protection?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2022, 1:33 pm

cz515 wrote:Lol.

First you say you recommend paypal because of buyer protection. And then you say you have never used it so see no issue. The insurance of PayPal is worthless as you are using it outside their terms and reference, they may not find out and you might be fine... but if they do you are paddling up s**t creek.

Secondly there are a few ways sellers can game the system and even if they have done wrong keep your money

I never said anything about buyer protection, or made any such recommendation. I prefer Paypal because it's easy, costs me nothing and my spending is easily monitored. I'm sure there are ways to game any system, but it hasn't happened to me yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation